There are 78 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

49ERS EXTENDED JUSTIN SMITHS CONTRACT

A win-win deal, we have a protection if he retires, we save money if he does that was paid to him. And we get the best 3-4 DE locked up, I can't imagine him not playing 2-3 more years. Which would be 8 years in SF with this extension.

If Justin ever made the HOF with 2 rings if we can get him and Gore those, Justin goes in as a 49er for sure.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
A win-win deal, we have a protection if he retires, we save money if he does that was paid to him. And we get the best 3-4 DE locked up, I can't imagine him not playing 2-3 more years. Which would be 8 years in SF with this extension.

If Justin ever made the HOF with 2 rings if we can get him and Gore those, Justin goes in as a 49er for sure.

please!!!
Even if both won a ring or two I think Gore and Justin Smith would be borderline. Probably Hall of Very Good with guys like Bryant Young. Those 3 deserve to be in there more than some of the guys in there but probably won't happen. Still both should be with us 2-3 more years so we will see where they are at then.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Jun 20, 2013 at 3:12 PM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by ninerjok:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by DRUSTOPO:

The FO is up to something if they cleared out all that room for 2013.

Had this exact same thought! It's either to sign another one of our own (since clearly, they are focused on that right now) or they are working on some other FA deal in the background (less likely).

Who's next in line for re-upping, Iupati?

I think they'll try to get him extended before the season, but if not, definitely before next offseason. With the Crabtree injury concern, Iupati is the next guy in line.

I'm sure they'll talk to Aldon and Kaep during the season how they feel about signing extensions after the season, but I feel like we're going to break the bank for those guys.
crabtree is the least important person to sign long term in my opinion

I agree

Well, the first half of the season will tell us a lot of how valuable Crabs is to us.

Not necessarily because the team was preparing for him to be the go to guy but Im sure they will find someone when they know he's not gonna be here for the long term.

even if he has a few decent games at the end and into post season, he better not hold a gun to the head of the niners. when people do that with this regime , they loose.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinersPlusOne:
Originally posted by braap49er:
I wouldn't be surprised if they offered him a job on the staff helping Tomsula out or something

That would be pretty awesome

he would be one of the very few great players that would make a great coach but we do not even know if he wants to do that
I love me some Cowboy. Dude essentially took his salary for this year (2013), added about 2 million and then spread it out over this year and the next two if I understand the terms correctly, and this is a deal HE negotiated.

Stepped up and took far less than he knows he could have gotten in an effort to keep this team good. Hopefully some of the young bucks take heed.

I am so happy we will have him through the 2014 season. One of my all time favorite Niners.
Originally posted by ninerjok:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by DRUSTOPO:

The FO is up to something if they cleared out all that room for 2013.

Had this exact same thought! It's either to sign another one of our own (since clearly, they are focused on that right now) or they are working on some other FA deal in the background (less likely).

Who's next in line for re-upping, Iupati?

I think they'll try to get him extended before the season, but if not, definitely before next offseason. With the Crabtree injury concern, Iupati is the next guy in line.

I'm sure they'll talk to Aldon and Kaep during the season how they feel about signing extensions after the season, but I feel like we're going to break the bank for those guys.
crabtree is the least important person to sign long term in my opinion

I agree

Well, the first half of the season will tell us a lot of how valuable Crabs is to us.

Not necessarily because the team was preparing for him to be the go to guy but Im sure they will find someone when they know he's not gonna be here for the long term.

even if he has a few decent games at the end and into post season, he better not hold a gun to the head of the niners. when people do that with this regime , they loose.

crabs will not play this year.
Originally posted by WINiner:
I love me some Cowboy. Dude essentially took his salary for this year (2013), added about 2 million and then spread it out over this year and the next two if I understand the terms correctly, and this is a deal HE negotiated.

Stepped up and took far less than he knows he could have gotten in an effort to keep this team good. Hopefully some of the young bucks take heed.

I am so happy we will have him through the 2014 season. One of my all time favorite Niners.

2015 he signed through, even better.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by WINiner:

2015 he signed through, even better.

I don't see him being around that long personally. I think he plays the next 2 and hangs'em up as younger guys assert themselves and his play time diminishes.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
This reminds me of Dana Stubblefield, who left SF for Washington to sign for more. Man I really hope Aldon Smith, Michael Crabtree and Eric Reid are paying attention to Justin Smith when their times come to get paid.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
This reminds me of Dana Stubblefield, who left SF for Washington to sign for more. Man I really hope Aldon Smith, Michael Crabtree and Eric Reid are paying attention to Justin Smith when their times come to get paid.

Those are all young players. As a veteran, Justin Smith was in some danger of being released to clear cap space if he refused to renegotiate his deal. Also, when a team releases a veteran, it puts up a red flag to all the other teams in the league. They assume he might be slowing down because he was released. Justin Smith gave the team a favorable deal, but he certainly didn't have all the chips, because there are young players behind him.

Smith had a fairly nice payday when he got his first big contract with us as a free agent. Aldon and Crabs are going to get big money like that as well, because they are young.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Jun 20, 2013 at 6:54 PM ]
Cowboy has made a lot of money in his career. He clearly wasn't motivated to get max $$. He wanted a deal that would enable him to finish in a 49er uniform. Money is not a top priority for him, he drinks Bud and shops at Costco. Probably wears a Casio watch too.

Cowboys is hands down the best 49er Free Agent signing ever. The only thing missing from his HOF resume is a SB ring.

He hasn't reached 49er royalty status yet, but he is getting close.
  • buck
  • Veteran
If we look at the contract extensions that have been made over the last two years, it is clear that the players have confidence in and trust the 49ers coaching staff and front office.

The best players on the team, with the possible exception of Dashon Goldson, have been willing, perhaps eager, to adjust their income to benefit the team.

Players would not be willing to make these adjustments, if they did not respect the work done by the front office and the coaching staff.

In my humble opinion, this team has the potential to be great for many years to come. And the best part is, although many might not agree with me, is the coaching staff still has the potential to qualitatively improve.

Word from a solid, unabashed homer.
Originally posted by buck:
If we look at the contract extensions that have been made over the last two years, it is clear that the players have confidence in and trust the 49ers coaching staff and front office.

The best players on the team, with the possible exception of Dashon Goldson, have been willing, perhaps eager, to adjust their income to benefit the team.

Players would not be willing to make these adjustments, if they did not respect the work done by the front office and the coaching staff.

In my humble opinion, this team has the potential to be great for many years to come. And the best part is, although many might not agree with me, is the coaching staff still has the potential to qualitatively improve.

Word from a solid, unabashed homer.

Very well said! Just like the glory yrs when players wanted to live n die a niner. Tho we wouldnt keep players to long. With justin we know the drop off would be minimum to none for the country strong cowboy!!!
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Those are all young players. As a veteran, Justin Smith was in some danger of being released to clear cap space if he refused to renegotiate his deal. Also, when a team releases a veteran, it puts up a red flag to all the other teams in the league. They assume he might be slowing down because he was released. Justin Smith gave the team a favorable deal, but he certainly didn't have all the chips, because there are young players behind him.

Smith had a fairly nice payday when he got his first big contract with us as a free agent. Aldon and Crabs are going to get big money like that as well, because they are young.
Do you have proof of this statement? "Justin Smith was in some danger of being released to clear cap space if he refused to renegotiate his deal"