• mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by ninerjok:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by DRUSTOPO:

The FO is up to something if they cleared out all that room for 2013.

Had this exact same thought! It's either to sign another one of our own (since clearly, they are focused on that right now) or they are working on some other FA deal in the background (less likely).

Who's next in line for re-upping, Iupati?

I think they'll try to get him extended before the season, but if not, definitely before next offseason. With the Crabtree injury concern, Iupati is the next guy in line.

I'm sure they'll talk to Aldon and Kaep during the season how they feel about signing extensions after the season, but I feel like we're going to break the bank for those guys.
crabtree is the least important person to sign long term in my opinion

I agree

Yeah, Crabtree is a solid receiver, but not elite. No use breaking the bank in trying to re-sign him.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by ninerjok:
Originally posted by NCommand:

Had this exact same thought! It's either to sign another one of our own (since clearly, they are focused on that right now) or they are working on some other FA deal in the background (less likely).

Who's next in line for re-upping, Iupati?

I think they'll try to get him extended before the season, but if not, definitely before next offseason. With the Crabtree injury concern, Iupati is the next guy in line.

I'm sure they'll talk to Aldon and Kaep during the season how they feel about signing extensions after the season, but I feel like we're going to break the bank for those guys.
crabtree is the least important person to sign long term in my opinion

I agree

Well, the first half of the season will tell us a lot of how valuable Crabs is to us.

Not necessarily because the team was preparing for him to be the go to guy but Im sure they will find someone when they know he's not gonna be here for the long term.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Justin has already made his money. All he wants now is a ring.
This!! And I wouldn't mind seeing him as an assistant on the 49ers staff when he retires.
Crabtree has been making good coin also and I still think we make an attempt to extend him at some point but we may not be able to. A lot of this will depend on this season and his recovery which should be optimal with our training staff
Originally posted by Niners23:
Cap figure: $3,726,666
Base: $940,000
Prorated SB: $2,186,666
Workout bonus: $500,000
Roster bonus: $100,000

Cap figure: $6,736,666
Base: $3,150,000
Roster bonus: $1,400,000

Cap figure: $6,236,666
Base: $2,650,000
Roster bonus: $1,400,000

Obviously this is a great deal for the 9ers. With the way Justin works, I can't see a significant drop off the next 3 years. Even if the sacks go down, he'll still be a top ten 3-4 DE, able to stuff the run. What I find interesting is the way the contract is structured. Why get all this cap money for 2013? Just to plan for an injury? Im not buying that. Also, the cap figures of 6.7 (2014) and 6.2 (2015) would still rank him near the top of our team.

2014 Cap Hits
Rogers = 8.075 ( will be cut )
Brooks = 7.5 ( may be reduced with deescalaters )
Vern = 7.367
Bow = 7.050
Pat = 6.909
Smith = 6.7
Gore = 6.4
Ray Mc = 5.3

2015 Cap Hits
Pat = 9.2
Rogers = 9.075 ( gone )
Brooks = 8.35 ( cut or restructured?? )
Bow = 7.75
Vern = 7.017
Smith = 6.2

So we pushed out money from this year, when we really did not need to, to make Justin a top 5 cap hit the next 2 years? What's going to happen when we need to give out Mega Deals to Aldon and Kap in 2014 or 2015? What about Iupati? What about Crabs?

I'm not complaining about Justin, but why not pay him 8M this year, part of his new 3 year deal ( 16,699,998 total ) and make him a cap hit of 4M the next two years....years when we desperately need space???

This FO is smart. Most likely you're going to see a guy like Iupati signing an extension before the season starts.

Thats right!

"Either way, it's a big win for the 49ers, who can now carry the extra cap dollars to 2014"

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/20/smiths-new-deal-has-a-few-potential-caveats/

I completely forgot that we can carry the extra cap money to 2014. Conspiracy over.......or not
just a question, why is his nickname 'cowboy'?
Smith's deal seems to be another astute move by the front office. Good work team $$$. Not sure what Reid will cost but it can't be extravagant at 18. Not cheap but I'm guessing we take the 5th year option on him. Aren't these picks pretty much locked in to a salary structure with little room for wiggle?
Originally posted by 49ersNetherlands:
just a question, why is his nickname 'cowboy'?

Cowboy is more of a descriptor than a nickname. He's from Jefferson City Missouri. It's not exactly NYC.
[ Edited by VA49er on Jun 20, 2013 at 12:59 PM ]
Originally posted by braap49er:
I wouldn't be surprised if they offered him a job on the staff helping Tomsula out or something

That would be pretty awesome
Originally posted by VA49er:
Cowboy is more of a descriptor than a nickname. He's from Jefferson City Missouri. It's not exactly NYC.

haha ok thnx!

Originally posted by NinersPlusOne:
I wouldn't be surprised if they offered him a job on the staff helping Tomsula out or something

That would be pretty awesome

My prediction is that when Smith is done with the game, he's going back to the ranch, he'll be putting on his cowboy hat and riding the range.
Sounds like they just converted a little more than 2 mil of his 7mil base salary for this year to save cap room. Turning some of his 7mil base salary into guarantee money save him from losing the game check if he gets injured and misses some games (not sure on this).

Kinda like if you're a lotto winner. You decide if you take less up front lump sum, or the whole sum spread out through life time.

Hopefully they give Justin and Gore jobs after they are done if they would be up for that. Even if they are low level assistants would be nice to keep those guys around.

RotoWorld says this:
His $7.5 million 2013 base salary was converted into a $6.56 million signing bonus, a $940,000 base salary with a $500,000 workout bonus, and a $100,000 roster bonus. In 2014, he'll earn $4.55 million (inc 1.4 mil roster bonus) in 2015, he'll receive $4.05 million in salary (inc 1.4 mil roster bonus). Despite Smith's age, it's a very team-friendly deal for arguably the best 3-4 end in football.

So sounds like he decided to turn most of the money this year into a signing bonus so he could get the money upfront. Smart for an older player. In 2014 and 2015 he is taking a major discount to be with us. He probably could have got 2 times that much on the open market but he didn't want to be anywhere else and we didn't want him anywhere else.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Jun 20, 2013 at 3:07 PM ]
A win-win deal, we have a protection if he retires, we save money if he does that was paid to him. And we get the best 3-4 DE locked up, I can't imagine him not playing 2-3 more years. Which would be 8 years in SF with this extension.

If Justin ever made the HOF with 2 rings if we can get him and Gore those, Justin goes in as a 49er for sure.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
A win-win deal, we have a protection if he retires, we save money if he does that was paid to him. And we get the best 3-4 DE locked up, I can't imagine him not playing 2-3 more years. Which would be 8 years in SF with this extension.

If Justin ever made the HOF with 2 rings if we can get him and Gore those, Justin goes in as a 49er for sure.

please!!!
Share 49ersWebzone