LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 237 users in the forums

49ERS EXTENDED JUSTIN SMITHS CONTRACT

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Still think hes gonna play 1 year only.
I still find it amazing how smart our front office has become. After years of fumbling in the dark, we hired a core group of guys that are truly setting the tone for the entire league. Seldom are they not the smartest guys in the room. It really is amazing. Kudos to Jed, since taking over the family buisness he hand picked the best and the brightest.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:
I am surprised that anyone seriously thought that the extension would not be both good for Justin Smith and for the team.

From the numbers cited above, the extension seems to be good for the team and for Justin.

of course this is the truth,,,, you had to know the niners would not sign anything to put them at risk and justin would not be greedy, how could anyone have thought otherwise?
Jerry Jones has went on record to say that Jed York is the future of the NFL for what it is worth. He sure has made it easier to be optimistic towards the future of this team.

Justin Smith is a great player and a team player. He obviously saved the money paid out to him and he just wanted to help the team win. We are beyond fortunate to have a guy like him. He gets a ringing endorsement from me to join Bryant Young as an all time 49er
Originally posted by valrod33:
So Justin Smith gets a 100,000 raise this year, we save 4+ million in salary cap for this year and we get Justin Smith, if he decides to play out his contract for a discount of 4 million per year in 2014 and 2015?

Hey Justin, you just got Paraag'd

He didn't "get Paraag'd." He knew what he was doing, and knowingly took a discount to play for a winner after years of playing on mediocre teams. He did so without an agent because he's a team guy.

You make it seem like the niners swindled him without his knowledge when in fact it's just the opposite - both he and the niners wanted a cap friendly number that could help lock up other guys and keep the team winning.
Originally posted by Niners23:
He didn't "get Paraag'd." He knew what he was doing, and knowingly took a discount to play for a winner after years of playing on mediocre teams. He did so without an agent because he's a team guy.

You make it seem like the niners swindled him without his knowledge when in fact it's just the opposite - both he and the niners wanted a cap friendly number that could help lock up other guys and keep the team winning.

Thank you. Consider the source of that strange, perverted take.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Mike Sando, ESPN.com ‏@espn_nfcwest

What contract figures mean for Justin Smith http://es.pn/11AYW4h
Cap figure: $3,726,666
Base: $940,000
Prorated SB: $2,186,666
Workout bonus: $500,000
Roster bonus: $100,000

Cap figure: $6,736,666
Base: $3,150,000
Roster bonus: $1,400,000

Cap figure: $6,236,666
Base: $2,650,000

Obviously this is a great deal for the 9ers. With the way Justin works, I can't see a significant drop off the next 3 years. Even if the sacks go down, he'll still be a top ten 3-4 DE, able to stuff the run. What I find interesting is the way the contract is structured. Why get all this cap money for 2013? Just to plan for an injury? Im not buying that. Also, the cap figures of 6.7 (2014) and 6.2 (2015) would still rank him near the top of our team.

2014 Cap Hits
Rogers = 8.075 ( will be cut )
Brooks = 7.5 ( may be reduced with deescalaters )
Vern = 7.367
Bow = 7.050
Pat = 6.909
Smith = 6.7
Gore = 6.4
Ray Mc = 5.3

2015 Cap Hits
Pat = 9.2
Rogers = 9.075 ( gone )
Brooks = 8.35 ( cut or restructured?? )
Bow = 7.75
Vern = 7.017
Smith = 6.2

So we pushed out money from this year, when we really did not need to, to make Justin a top 5 cap hit the next 2 years? What's going to happen when we need to give out Mega Deals to Aldon and Kap in 2014 or 2015? What about Iupati? What about Crabs?

I'm not complaining about Justin, but why not pay him 8M this year, part of his new 3 year deal ( 16,699,998 total ) and make him a cap hit of 4M the next two years....years when we desperately need space???

The FO is up to something if they cleared out all that room for 2013.
[ Edited by DRUSTOPO on Jun 20, 2013 at 9:32 AM ]
Originally posted by DRUSTOPO:
Cap figure: $3,726,666
Base: $940,000
Workout bonus: $500,000
Roster bonus: $100,000

Cap figure: $6,736,666
Base: $3,150,000

Cap figure: $6,236,666
Base: $2,650,000

Obviously this is a great deal for the 9ers. With the way Justin works, I can't see a significant drop off the next 3 years. Even if the sacks go down, he'll still be a top ten 3-4 DE, able to stuff the run. What I find interesting is the way the contract is structured. Why get all this cap money for 2013? Just to plan for an injury? Im not buying that. Also, the cap figures of 6.7 (2014) and 6.2 (2015) would still rank him near the top of our team.

2014 Cap Hits
Rogers = 8.075 ( will be cut )
Brooks = 7.5 ( may be reduced with deescalaters )
Vern = 7.367
Bow = 7.050
Pat = 6.909
Smith = 6.7
Gore = 6.4
Ray Mc = 5.3

2015 Cap Hits
Pat = 9.2
Rogers = 9.075 ( gone )
Brooks = 8.35 ( cut or restructured?? )
Bow = 7.75
Vern = 7.017
Smith = 6.2

So we pushed out money from this year, when we really did not need to, to make Justin a top 5 cap hit the next 2 years? What's going to happen when we need to give out Mega Deals to Aldon and Kap in 2014 or 2015? What about Iupati? What about Crabs?

I'm not complaining about Justin, but why not pay him 8M this year, part of his new 3 year deal ( 16,699,998 total ) and make him a cap hit of 4M the next two years....years when we desperately need space???

This FO is smart. Most likely you're going to see a guy like Iupati signing an extension before the season starts.
Originally posted by Niners23:
This FO is smart. Most likely you're going to see a guy like Iupati signing an extension before the season starts.

Oh I have no doubt they did it for a reason, this FO is the Bobby Fischer of the NFL, always 10 steps ahead, it will be interesting to see what the reason was though.

BTW...I would LOVE if they extended Iupati, I think I beat that poor Iupati horse to death on another thread, so I wont get into THAT again

• Disp
  • Veteran
Yeah, the only real reason I can really see pushing out his cap hit, plus reducing Goodwin/Haralson/Manningham is for them to get Iupati signed. Reducing those others players made good business sense too, but it seems like it's part of a bigger plan.
[ Edited by Disp on Jun 20, 2013 at 9:47 AM ]
Justin is no fool. The idea he got Paraaged id TOTAL BS and I am considering the loser source.

Unlike MANY players, I'd lay odds he's invested his money and did himself right w/all his earnings. So, as a result, he's not in dire financial circumstances and can do a deal that's acceptable to both parties.

What I really loved was eliminating the Agent.

This has to send waves of fear to all player agents in all sports.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

Most athletes are morons. There's no way more than 1% of players could negotiate a contract for themselves that would make them the same amount that they'd make by giving an agent a 3-4% cut.
Originally posted by Disp:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

Most athletes are morons. There's no way more than 1% of players could negotiate a contract for themselves that would make them the same amount that they'd make by giving an agent a 3-4% cut.

A agent gets 10%
If I'm not mistaken
Originally posted by DRUSTOPO:

Had this exact same thought! It's either to sign another one of our own (since clearly, they are focused on that right now) or they are working on some other FA deal in the background (less likely).
Share 49ersWebzone