There are 63 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

49ers on PFF Top Players of 2012

Originally posted by buck:
The offensive line is not bad. Boone, Iupati, Davis, and Staley made the list.

edit: A bit of a surprise but Goodwin was ranked as the 10th best center by them.

These rankings are pretty much a joke. Bowman, Justin and Aldon are all ranked WAY too low - to the point where credibility is lost. There was only one guy with more sacks than Aldon, yet they don't give him his due respect. Justin Smith should be ahead of every 49er on this list. Need proof? Watch our defense after he was hurt. Bowman is just as good as Willis, but even if you insist that Willis is superior, you must admit it isn't by much, yet somehow Bowman is ranked almost 50 slots lower.

I would also argue that Staley is ranked too high. No way is he a better player than guys like Aldon, Justin or Bowman. I am a Staley fan, but nonetheless...
I think you are underestimating the impact that staley has, and also his athleticism
Crazy that Gore is 71. Still not getting the respect he deserves. If he gets a SB ring and puts up another 2-3 good years, he could be headed to the HOF.
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Crazy that Gore is 71. Still not getting the respect he deserves. If he gets a SB ring and puts up another 2-3 good years, he could be headed to the HOF.

Good Gore needs those doubters he said himself that the doubters are what fuels him every single season.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Here are the 49ers that ranked so far in the NFL Top 100

Their PFF ranking is in parentheses.

29. Justin Smith (89)

32. Frank Gore (71)

37. NaVorro Bowman (59)

39. Vernon Davis (39)

78. Joe Staley (16)

http://top100.nfl.com/tracker

By the way, I am not claiming that any of the rankings are correct or incorrect.

I just happen to think that it good to see our players are being recognized.

29. Justin Smith (89)

32. Frank Gore (71)

37. NaVorro Bowman (59)

39. Vernon Davis (39)

78. Joe Staley (16)

By the way, I am not claiming that any of the rankings are correct or incorrect.

I agree it still seems like a few of our players are being unrecognized when they deserve the recognization, but maybe thats the homer in me.

29. Justin Smith (89)

32. Frank Gore (71)

37. NaVorro Bowman (59)

39. Vernon Davis (39)

78. Joe Staley (16)

The NFL's Top 100 rankings seem far more accurate, though Justin and Bowman are still ranked lower than they should be.
Originally posted by xtm059:
I think you are underestimating the impact that staley has, and also his athleticism

I'm not underestimating anything about Joe Staley.

Do you think he is a better FOOTBALL PLAYER than Justin Smith? How about Aldon Smith? Bowman? Frank Gore? Vernon Davis? Do you feel he is on Patrick Willis' level? Because 6 slots behind Willis is pretty much on the same level.

As I said, I am a Staley fan. I liked the pick from day 1. Just because I don't think he is the 16th best football player in the NFL doesn't mean I'm underestimating him. Look at some of the guys ranked below him, besides the 49ers listed above: Tom Brady (21), Brandon Marshall (30), Marshawn Lynch (40), Rob Gronkowski (42), Drew Brees (79), Eli Manning (90), Dez Bryant (96). Is he better than some of them? Possibly, but no way the gap between someone like Drew Brees and Joe Staley is that wide. No way.
I have no beef with where they are rated. But we should have one of our guards should have made the list
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MichaelHuffTexas:
I have no beef with where they are rated. But we should have one of our guards should have made the list

Two of our guards made the PFF list.

50. Alex Boone (Unranked)

53. Mike Iupati (Unranked)

see post #1
some1currs but it aint me
Two of our guards made the PFF list.

50. Alex Boone (Unranked)

53. Mike Iupati (Unranked)

see post #1

Yeah but it wouldve been cool to see a segment of them on NFL Network with other players gushing over their abilities
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
Off the top of my head, I do not remember. I guess one of us could check.

2010 ranking Pts 16th Yards 13th
2011 ranking Pts 2nd Yards 4th
2012 ranking Pts 2nd Yards 3rd

Only things that changed between 2010 and 2011 was 2 starters and a DC, to jump up 14 ranks in points and 9 in yards takes more then 2 starters, Fangios not the issue, just an easy target as a scapegoat for fans.

To chime in here, yards mean very little and a poor indicator of defense. What matters is points given up and we've seen an alarming trend between regular season and post season play by the defense the past two years; granted you are playing better teams with more time to prepare for you (typically):

2011 Regular Season = 229 (14) / 2011 Post Season = 52 (26)
2012 Regular Season = 273 (17) / 2012 Post Season = 86 (29)

Fangio has his issues as I highlighted here in post #45 but overall, he's a good coach: http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/173544-our-defensive-coordinator-vic-fangio/page3/
[ Edited by NCommand on Jun 20, 2013 at 6:34 AM ]
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Justin Smith was responsible for a ton of Aldon Smith's sacks with stunts yet he gets no credit for it. These lists are nice and all but they leave out a lot of important little things that guys like Justin Smith do all day long.
have they revealed who is #1 yet? (cause Brian Jennings hasn't been mentioned yet)