LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 235 users in the forums

49ers on PFF Top Players of 2012

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • buck
  • Veteran
For me the two biggest surprises were Alex Boone at 50 and Tarrell Brown at 75.

Boone was a undrafted free agent.

Brown a 5th round pick.

They have earned my respect.
Originally posted by JimDrinkAMiller:
How about after this season? Say Justin sticks around through 15, do you still see tank spelling Justin?

Sticks through 15? you mean another extension? Because with this extension hes signed through 2015.
[ Edited by LoneWolf on Jun 19, 2013 at 7:59 PM ]
Originally posted by GNielsen:
No, Smith's resigning doesn't really change anything with respect to Tank. Tank will be worked into the rotation. If he's good enough to spell Smith, he'll get playing time. That seems to be the way Fangio thinks. He just said the other day that players have to earn playing time. He's not going to rotate simply for the sake of rotation. I worry that this works against the idea of depth because if Fangio is comparing guys to Smith as a benchmark, it's hard to find someone of equal value who can step in with no drop off in front line play. Carradine will be trying to put on muscle weight and I'm hoping he's good enough to rotate with both Smith and McDonald. And, I'm hoping Williams or Divens is good enough to rotate with Dorsey. Dobbs and Tukuafu are also in the mix. And maybe Jerod-Eddie and Dial will also be in the mix.

This is why Mangini was brought in. Fangio is stupid and will be fired/let go after the season.
[ Edited by Evilgenius on Jun 19, 2013 at 8:02 PM ]
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
How about after this season? Say Justin sticks around through 15, do you still see tank spelling Justin?

Sticks through 15? you mean another extension? Because with this extension hes signed through 2015.

I mean if he plays again after this season and the season after next.

Its already been said before that tank is going to spell both DE's and it will remain that way until the coaches find him fit to be a starter and find one of our current starting DE's no longer fit for starter duties.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Evilgenius:
This is why Mangini was brought in. Fangio is stupid and will be fired/let go after the season.

Before Fangio arrived in 2011, Tarell Brown had played in 40 games and had only started in five. In 2010, Brown did not start a game.

NaVorro Bowman started only one game in 2010, his rookie year.

Upon his arrival, Fangio made both Bowman and Brown starters.
I believe in an interview Justin also said this is pretty much his final contract.
Originally posted by buck:
Before Fangio arrived in 2011, Tarell Brown had played in 40 games and had only started in five. In 2010, Brown did not start a game.

And how did our defensive rankings vary before he became DC and after?
  • buck
  • Veteran

And how did our defensive rankings vary before he became DC and after?

Off the top of my head, I do not remember. I guess one of us could check.

I will check.
[ Edited by buck on Jun 19, 2013 at 8:42 PM ]

Its already been said before that tank is going to spell both DE's and it will remain that way until the coaches find him fit to be a starter and find one of our current starting DE's no longer fit for starter duties.

Which could be late this season.
Which could be late this season.

Yeah thats highly unlikely.
Off the top of my head, I do not remember. I guess one of us could check.

2010 ranking Pts 16th Yards 13th
2011 ranking Pts 2nd Yards 4th
2012 ranking Pts 2nd Yards 3rd

Only things that changed between 2010 and 2011 was 2 starters and a DC, to jump up 14 ranks in points and 9 in yards takes more then 2 starters, Fangios not the issue, just an easy target as a scapegoat for fans.
Those upgrades were forced by a GM who didn't resign Clements or Spikes. Spikes would have played if he did get signed because Fangio prefers veterans. It's why he was fired (and also Jim Mora) in Indy. It's why he's been fired elsewhere. Anyone could have gotten our defense with the talent it had to play well in 2011 and 2012. Did you not forget we also added Aldon Smith, Chris Culliver and Carlos Rogers.

Spencer was coming off an injury if I recall correctly and he was also pretty much done as a player.

Fangio surely will play the best players most often, and he should, but he should also give his DL a rest because it's one of the most physically demanding in the game and we aren't devoid of talent behind our starters. RJF got a pretty large contract for a reason. He's a good player. But he barely saw the field. He's no Justin Smith or Ray Mac, but he was good none the less. Too often we had Justin playing nose with Brooks at end as well. Dobbs showed enough to me in the preseason to warrant more snaps than he got, even if it was only 10-15 a game.

You need to be careful with physically demanding positions in the NFL. Rotations are a good thing if you have depth and we do.
Originally posted by Evilgenius:
Those upgrades were forced by a GM who didn't resign Clements or Spikes. Spikes would have played if he did get signed because Fangio prefers veterans. It's why he was fired (and also Jim Mora) in Indy. It's why he's been fired elsewhere. Anyone could have gotten our defense with the talent it had to play well in 2011 and 2012. Did you not forget we also added Aldon Smith, Chris Culliver and Carlos Rogers.

Spencer was coming off an injury if I recall correctly and he was also pretty much done as a player.

Fangio surely will play the best players most often, and he should, but he should also give his DL a rest because it's one of the most physically demanding in the game and we aren't devoid of talent behind our starters. RJF got a pretty large contract for a reason. He's a good player. But he barely saw the field. He's no Justin Smith or Ray Mac, but he was good none the less. Too often we had Justin playing nose with Brooks at end as well. Dobbs showed enough to me in the preseason to warrant more snaps than he got, even if it was only 10-15 a game.

You need to be careful with physically demanding positions in the NFL. Rotations are a good thing if you have depth and we do.

I agree 100% but the lack of depth wasnt entirely on Fangio either.
Share 49ersWebzone