There are 71 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

This Year's WR's are Better Overall than Last Year

This Year's WR's are Better Overall than Last Year

Originally posted by 5280High:
When are you thinking about last years receivers... at the beginning of the season or how it ended... very different scenarios

very very true
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
A lineup of Crabs, Boldin, Kyle, Manningham, Baldwin would be our best WR core in a very very long time

I agree with this completely. Unfortunately, Crabs and Manningham will be on the PUP. It was reported that Manningham would be ready for the opener, but now what? It is reported that Crabs will be ready late in the season, but that can easily change as well.
Losing Crabs is devastating.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Aug 20, 2013 at 8:34 PM ]
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:
A lineup of Crabs, Boldin, Kyle, Manningham, Baldwin would be our best WR core in a very very long time
and a full season of ck to vernon! they just started to click in the playoffs so that should be very scary for the defense even without crabs and mario i still think we are going to be good

Also, Patton will show progress each week, he's not shy or afraid to (try) to become great, right away.

Even if he doesn't do much against Vikings or Chargers, I wouldn't count him out. Patton will show good things as the season goes....
Competition. "Iron sharpens Iron"
Originally posted by LVJay:
and a full season of ck to vernon! they just started to click in the playoffs so that should be very scary for the defense even without crabs and mario i still think we are going to be good

Also, Patton will show progress each week, he's not shy or afraid to (try) to become great, right away.

Even if he doesn't do much against Vikings or Chargers, I wouldn't count him out. Patton will show good things as the season goes....

We are certainly going to be good, but we would have been epic, with a healthy Crabs and Manningham.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by LVJay:

We are certainly going to be good, but we would have been epic, with a healthy Crabs and Manningham.

So, you mean we'll be "epic" later in the season
Originally posted by 49erWay:
Last year for the second half of the season there was.....one receiver (Crabtree) and a guy who caught a couple of big plays (Moss).

That's it, period.

This year there is Boldin and some potential breakout receivers we didn't have last year. Jenkins in particular spent the whole off season working with Kaep.

Boldin isn't as good as Crabtree.

The irony is even with Crabtree out this stable of receivers could be better than last year overall.

Discuss....

I have to respectfully disagree with you on this. I think Boldin has had a great career and at 32, he is the best WR on the field. Crabtree is great, when healthy. It is hard to evaluate WR's as Crabtree suffered early in his career with Alex Smith and Boldin had numerour qb's in AZ but shined when he had franchise qb's in Kurt Warner and Flacco.

I do think that Boldin attended more training camps without injury early in his career. Crabtree has completed like one camp in how many years??
"The sky is falling, no Crabtree".

What was Crabtree before Kap? A bust. Now we are doomed without him? Please.

Crabtree isn't anything without Kap. Kap will have similar influence on our WR corps.

He doesn't have the stiffs Moss and Ginn and the abscense of Jenkins. Delanie dropped 25% of Kap's passes. How are we not better?

Do you know for sure how good (or not) McDonald, Patton, Kyle coming back, M. Moore and Boldin (known commodity)?
Also we are talking beginning of season. When Manningham and Crabtree come back, what shape are we in?

Offense we are fine. Defense concerns me. We seem to pummel weak teams and got torched by the quality ones.
Come on now. Give credit where credit is due.

Crabtree catches everything withinn 15 feet of his groovy self.

Nuff said. Don't need math or arguments on that from people who are learning what is up.

WR core is talented and will get silly once Crabtree is back.
Brian, with addition of Baldin, I think this WR corps is way better than what we had last yr at this time...or anytime last yr to be more precise. Chew on this set on 3rd down, need 7 yrds for a first in SEA:

Boldin, Baldin, Kyle, Vernon, vance,...5 wide... and LMJ in the backfield. Ummm...just who exactly is going to cover that stable of terrific WRs and a RB who can't be tackled if he gets a shovel pass in the backfield. You have to admit , that is pretty intimidating. And then a QB who "makes fire" . Yup ,Kap throws the heater and it has smoke coming out the rear end...and surprise: he is throwing darts and on a line...an accurate line.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Boldin, Baldin, Kyle, Vernon, vance,...5 wide... and LMJ in the backfield. Ummm...just who exactly is going to cover that stable of terrific WRs and a RB who can't be tackled if he gets a shovel pass in the backfield.

They won't need to. We'll get penalized for 12 men in the huddle
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Brian, with addition of Baldin, I think this WR corps is way better than what we had last yr at this time...or anytime last yr to be more precise. Chew on this set on 3rd down, need 7 yrds for a first in SEA:

Boldin, Baldin, Kyle, Vernon, vance,...5 wide... and LMJ in the backfield. Ummm...just who exactly is going to cover that stable of terrific WRs and a RB who can't be tackled if he gets a shovel pass in the backfield. You have to admit , that is pretty intimidating. And then a QB who "makes fire" . Yup ,Kap throws the heater and it has smoke coming out the rear end...and surprise: he is throwing darts and on a line...an accurate line.

I would LOVE for that to be accurate. You call them "terrific WR's". I think they all have a CHANCE to be that, but right now, its just a guess.

Kyle has 35 catches in his career, is that "terrific"?
Baldwin has 41 catches in his career. Seriously, "terrific"?
Vance is a rookie. Is he really "terrific" as of right now?

They all might become terrific, but that is a super best case scenario. With Kap, anything is possible. He could elevate all of their games, but these players could just as easily struggle.
I really hope you are right about our WR core.
  • buck
  • Veteran
They have to play this season before we can answer this question.
Originally posted by buck:
They have to play this season before we can answer this question.

This, I understand why everyone is so hyped for this season, but its way to premature to even consider declaring this group of wrs better then last years when we havent seen most of them even play on this team or really play much at all, weve seen moore play a little bit but mostly special teams, Patton, Macdonald, and Jacobs are rookies, Baldwin just signed with the team and so far hasnt been extremely impressive, Boldin is an upgrade over Moss and the rest of the players were here last year seriously we dont know if Moore will be any better then Ginn on special teams or as a receiver, we dont know if Macdonald can contribute every way Walker did. Its really just to early to declare our recievers any better then last year.