There are 101 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

This Year's WR's are Better Overall than Last Year

This Year's WR's are Better Overall than Last Year

If you compare the receivers man for man last year, 2012 will definitely appear to be better. The reason why I voted for 2013 is because to me we seemingly have more talent at WR and I think we will get more out of our receivers this year than we did last year. Last year seemed like it was the Michael Crabtree/Mario Manningham show with a little Randy Moss sprinked in. I expect our group of receivers to be more like the Packers or Giants in recent years where it seems like they can plug anyone in and get production out of them. This is a combination of talent at receiver and the QB throwing them the ball.
Member Milestone: This is post number 400 for OldJoe.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
My take is that if Baalke isn't adding a veteran receiver right now, they've seen enough to have a good feeling that they don't need one.

Crab was number one because he caught every fastball that Kap threw. Delanie couldn't handle 'em. Bye Delanie. Bouldin can catch everything also, plus he wins all the jump balls and made Flacco look real good. We will find plenty of receivers that can catch a Kap pass this year I suspect. I think we will be just as good, if not better and when Crabs come back pure gravy.
  • Mayor
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OldJoe:
Delanie couldn't handle 'em. Bye Delanie.
Delanie was a great guy. He played with a lot of effort on several positions. A versatile but underrated guy. I miss him....
[ Edited by Mayor88 on Jun 28, 2013 at 4:46 PM ]
Originally posted by Mayor88:
Originally posted by OldJoe:
Delanie couldn't handle 'em. Bye Delanie.
Delanie was a great guy. He played with a lot of effort on several positions. A versatile but underrated guy. I miss him....

Sure, he was a great guy, but the highest drop percentage in the league is a problem. It would have been fine to keep him, but to match a huge contract wouldn't have made any sense. McDonald has the potential to be a much better bookend for Davis because evidently he catches everything thrown his way.
Sorry, Midran. Boldin is twice what crbs gave us. Remember those SB jumpballs on the sideline. Boldin has that catch patented, and he can jump so dang high, it is virually unstoppable. At neither we nor anybody else stopped it all season, particularly on 3rd down. On that down, on the sideline, Boldin is money. As for # catches, # yds, YAC, etc, Boldin won't get near as many as on Ravens. We just flat out have too much firepower. Sure I'd rather have Crabs playing than not, but even with out him, we have : Vernon, Boldin, patton, AJ, LMJ, Frank, kyle, hunter(I hope), later maybe Mario, vance, Dixon if we want....that is a lot of guys to catch one football.
The point, however, is Boldin vs Crbs....I think we do way better with anquan and specifically 3rd down jumpballs on the sideline. When crbs comes back, I cannot even begin to imagine what this O will be able to do. Meantime we are in great hands.
It will be interesting to see how it gets passed around....literally. But if roman is smart and JH insists, to have 8 or 9 guys catch a pass every game( sound like Peyton), would be a darn good brand of football...and we can do it, too. Question is, is roman up to it. And that is the part that bothers me. Hence, I would like to see roman run the O during the week and JH to call the game on game day.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Jul 4, 2013 at 3:27 PM ]
I've always had a lot of respect for Anquan Boldin, even when he had red birds on his helmet. That was an awfully good trade by Baalke, especially in light of Crab's injury. I think there's a good chance Boldin will play for the Niners for more than one season.

Not to minimize the loss of Crabs, but a silver lining could be that we'll field a more diverse offense this season. With CK entering his first camp with starter's reps, and last year's go-to guy out of the picture, it seems to me that the ball will be spread around more. Boldin is certainly capable of stepping into those shoes, but I believe they will make a point of diversifying the offense to become less predictable. And that's a good thing. Three throws to Crab within sniffing distance of our 6th Lombardi was just too predictable.
Yeah, bluefox, just imagine what the scenario would have been if Kap , or rather roman, would have been spreading the ball around to 5 or 6 guys all game. One of them certainly would have been open in the EZ, as crbs was gang covered. Also they had 7 or 8 guys coming every play, so passing to a not so expected receiver,
(TE or WR or RB) would have been a whole lot better. However, that is speaking after looking thru the retrospectoscope, or Mon morning Qbing, which is always a bad idea.
LMJ will also spend allot of time as a receiver... just a hunch. Get the bigger defensive players in the game with VD and VM in the huddle then split them out wide with AB in the slot, and watch LMJ leave whatever LB is gonna have to cover him outta the backfield in the dust.
[ Edited by 5280High on Jul 7, 2013 at 10:02 PM ]
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
..just imagine what the scenario would have been if Kap , or rather roman, would have been spreading the ball around to 5 or 6 guys all game.

I put it on Kap. He said afterwards that he would take Crab one on one every time, and that's exactly what he did. Hey, limited experience. Think he will be light years ahead this time around, if we get the chance to repeat.
Originally posted by 5280High:
LMJ will also spend allot of time as a receiver... just a hunch.
LMJ made some great plays split wide in college.
...and he is poised to make a lot more this yr split out wide in the backfield...if roman cooperates.
Originally posted by bluefox:
Originally posted by 5280High:
LMJ will also spend allot of time as a receiver... just a hunch.
LMJ made some great plays split wide in college.

i always thought LMJ could be the next darren sproles but as of now i dont want him holding the ball at all, he has a fumbling problem
  • dj43
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
I'm not following this idea that we are better at WR with Crabtree's injury.

Boldin replaces Crabtree. -- Call it a wash.
Manningham is coming off a horrendous injury. -- Arrow down.
Williams is coming off an injury, although not as severe as Manningham's. -- Arrow slightly down.
AJ Jenkins has done nothing but is coming into his second year. -- Arrow slightly up.
Delanie Walker is replaced by a rookie. -- I'll call it a wash, which is a positive spin on the rookie.
Ginn is gone. -- I'll call it a wash. He didn't really do much at WR.
Moss is gone. -- Arrow down. He was fairly productive.
Patton is a rookie. -- Arrow slightly up. I like him, but he is just a rookie 4th round pick.
Everyone else is a wash.

It all adds up to 1 1/2 arrows down from where we were last year. Sure I WANT Patton, AJ and McDonald to blow it up, but Crabtree was our best WR, there is no positive spin for this. Our best WR is out, and we are not better because of it.

Pretty much sums up my feelings as well.

As much as the company says Boldin will fill the gap for Crabtree, that is ALL spin. Crabtree had been the most productive receiver in the league over the last 8 games. There is no way, NO WAY to come close to replacing that with Boldin. That alone will turn the balance of arrows significantly down.

I still have little confidence in Jenkins. As desperate as we were last year for receivers for him to not get into the game at all is a MAJOR disappointment. For him to have any value at all he will have to be MORE of a presence on the field than Moss was last season. At least Moss' reputation created some respect even though he no longer had the physical skills to perform. Jenkins will have to earn that before he can have any advantage over Moss.

I don't expect Manningham to have a presence on the field this season. Injury was too severe and too late in the season for him to make an impact.

Patton is all potential and that is not worth anything until he proves it.

For the 67% that think we are better, that is all based on fandom, IMO. No offense but I don't see how anyone can say we are better at this point. We may have more potential but we all know how much that is worth until it happens.

I expect to see a lot of "scheming" in the run and pass game to keep opponents honest. The offense will have to earn respect on the field for the passing game. It will have to come from the young guys and that is generally not a good thing. Hope they come through but experience tells me not to bet on it.

I would add something witty here, if I could think of something...but I can't. So, I'll just stand by what I wrote up here ^^^^
Absolutely not.

Crabs, Moss, Mario, Ginn, Kyle, VD, and Delanie are much better than Boldin and the collection of hurt/unproven players we have right now.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home