LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 335 users in the forums

This Year's WR's are Better Overall than Last Year

Shop Find 49ers gear online

This Year's WR's are Better Overall than Last Year

Ok,Brian, I respectfully agree to disagree. Just for fun let's make a mental note and compare where we are at midseason compared with last yr.
I think the potential is there...Jenkins is showing signs of becoming the #2 behind Boldin, but he'll have to prove it in TC and pre-season. If he can emerge, he'll give us a guy who can make big plays. Plus, with Williams coming back, he'll give us more consistent receiving from the slot. Manningham will be the gravy, whenever he returns. Don't know what Lockette will provide yet.
If Crabtree was healthy, this thread would have credence, but without him, it's a pretty dumb question.
Originally posted by 49erfanatic:
Brandon Lloyd (2012)
74 receptions
911 yards
12.3 yards per catch
4 TD's

Anquan Boldin (2012)
65 receptions
925 yards
14.2 yards per catch
4 TD's

Hmmm? Brandon Lloyd's production looks remarkably similar to Anquan Boldin's. I wouldn't mind having those stats for our 2nd wide-out while Crabtree is recovering. The arguments made against Lloyd are all opinion. The receiving stats are fact. And who cares if New England didn't like his attitude, and let him go? They let Randy Moss go too, and he was a model citizen last year on our team. The coaches set the tone for how players behave, and I think that Harbaugh and Baalke can mange Lloyd's personality. I rest my case.

It's really hard for me to believe someone around here is comparing Brandon Lloyd to Anquan Boldin. That's just off the charts silly in my opinion. And, I can't help but notice that he absentmindedly forgot to include the playoffs, where Boldin led all receivers with 380 yards, a 17.3 yrd average, 95 yrds a game and 4 TD's while Lloyd, as usual, came up big with his 8.5 average, 51 yrds a game and 1 TD.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
If Crabtree was healthy, this thread would have credence, but without him, it's a pretty dumb question.

The reason I don't think it's a dumb question has been hashed over many times. It has to do with the development of Kaepernick. This off season he is forced to find multiple solutions to passing formations. He cannot get comfortable throwing to Crabtree. This will force him to spread the ball around. Whether it's better depends on two things - is Boldin equal to Crabtree as the primary possession receiver and are there players on the squad who will step up and be a viable number 2's and 3's?

If you think Boldin is equal to Crabtree as a primary possession receiver, then the second question is the only relevant one with respect to the question, right? If anyone steps up and becomes a better #2, then the WR corp is better than last year.
  • Jiks

This... How can you judge a player who's never even played a down, or shown anything in real games. The potential is in abundance, but potential is just that.
  • Jiks
Originally posted by GNielsen:

The reason I don't think it's a dumb question has been hashed over many times. It has to do with the development of Kaepernick. This off season he is forced to find multiple solutions to passing formations. He cannot get comfortable throwing to Crabtree. This will force him to spread the ball around. Whether it's better depends on two things - is Boldin equal to Crabtree as the primary possession receiver and are there players on the squad who will step up and be a viable number 2's and 3's?

If you think Boldin is equal to Crabtree as a primary possession receiver, then the second question is the only relevant one with respect to the question, right? If anyone steps up and becomes a better #2, then the WR corp is better than last year.

How do you throw to receivers that don't get seperation or run crisp routes. To think Kaep. Is going to make receivers do their jobs is a bit of a stretch. But only time will tell. I just disagree that Kaep will make receivers become open. He probably will help, but again what if theses young guys are getting destroyed at the line or not ready to play?
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
How do you throw to receivers that don't get seperation or run crisp routes. To think Kaep. Is going to make receivers do their jobs is a bit of a stretch. But only time will tell. I just disagree that Kaep will make receivers become open. He probably will help, but again what if theses young guys are getting destroyed at the line or not ready to play?

You're absolutely right that this is mostly conjecture right now. I start with the assumption that the team doesn't see much of a drop off in possession receiver production with Boldin. But, that's an assumption. Crabtree is a fantastic receiver. Boldin's probably not as quick, but he may be a little more physical with defenders. I think he's a beast. Boldin's not going to have as many YAC, so that's a drop off. But again, if they're close, all the team needs is one out of a bunch of prospects to bear fruit. I don't think that's a bad bet, but then I try to be cautiously optimistic.

And good QB play absolutely makes receivers better. That should be obvious to everyone by now and there are numerous examples to site. Look at Boldin. Last season, when Flacco was mediocre, Boldin's numbers were a lot less impressive. When Flacco blew up in the playoffs, Boldin exploded. There are quite a few receivers who were productive with Peyton Manning and then mediocre when they went to other teams. Back in the day, Harper was productive with Aikman, then got a contract with the Bucs and was mediocre because the various Bucs QB's just weren't as good as Aikman. There are lots of examples.
How do you throw to receivers that don't get seperation or run crisp routes.

Actually, I think this is kind of a silly question in and of itself. If a receiver can't do that, he's not going to make it through training camp. That's what the off season is for - to figure out which of your receiver prospects can get separation and run crisp routes. That's also what coaching and practice is about - teaching receivers to run crisp routes. My only point is that out of all the prospects they have practicing this off season, I would expect one or two to be able to run crisp routes and get separation. These guys are pros.
  • Jiks
Actually, I think this is kind of a silly question in and of itself. If a receiver can't do that, he's not going to make it through training camp. That's what the off season is for - to figure out which of your receiver prospects can get separation and run crisp routes. That's also what coaching and practice is about - teaching receivers to run crisp routes. My only point is that out of all the prospects they have practicing this off season, I would expect one or two to be able to run crisp routes and get separation. These guys are pros.

But some of these guys have yet to even make it through camp. Others are practice squad or bench riders. I dunno there's really no way to know quite yet that's my opinion on it.

Edit: I do think AJ is going to be a legit wr, just not sure exactly what he can do until he displays it in real game situations.
[ Edited by JiksJuicy on Jun 21, 2013 at 11:10 AM ]

But some of these guys have yet to even make it through camp. Others are practice squad or bench riders. I dunno there's really no way to know quite yet that's my opinion on it.

Edit: I do think AJ is going to be a legit wr, just not sure exactly what he can do until he displays it in real game situations.

Completely agree that we don't know much right now and that AJ or anyone for that matter has to display it in game situations. I'm hoping that's what the pre-season games are going to be for this year.
  • Jiks
Completely agree that we don't know much right now and that AJ or anyone for that matter has to display it in game situations. I'm hoping that's what the pre-season games are going to be for this year.

Will be fun to watch. We have a lot of prospects with solid potential. Hoping at least one of these first or second year players will step up big for us. Having MM and KW is great and all but they kind of are who they are if that makes sense.
@JiksJuicy

Makes perfect sense. Two of the most interesting things to watch for this pre-season are obviously that issue and whether Carradine or any of the other guys can be a legitimate player rotating in with Smith and McDonald. Actually, there is so much to watch for this pre-season that it's really one of the more interesting in memory for me. I also want to see if Lemonier can be close to Aldon Smith in getting to the QB, how Reid looks covering and tackling and of course, everyone wants to see how well Kaepernick has progressed.
  • Jiks
Pretty much the only battle I'm not too excited about is oline. Pretty much just depth there. I mean its good to have good backups but oline is solid. Every other position is a battle.
Pretty much the only battle I'm not too excited about is oline. Pretty much just depth there. I mean its good to have good backups but oline is solid. Every other position is a battle.

Kilgore vs. Goodwin should be interesting.
Share 49ersWebzone