There are 119 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

This Year's WR's are Better Overall than Last Year

This Year's WR's are Better Overall than Last Year

This page's post sum it all up. Receivers Boldin, AJ, Patton, maybe lockette, kyle, LMJ, Vernon, Vance, frank, hunter....that makes 10 and our chances of getting 8 really good ones( I forgot Mario) are excellent. crbs was basically a one man show with Vernon having many less yds last yr. Our "ball catching" corps looks light yrs ahead of last yr. Sure, crbs will be missed, but with the crew above, we are much improved. Vance may end up being used as the go to slot receiver on 3rd downs , where he is used like welker... he gets to and sits down just over the first down line. I can also see him used like boldin for 3rd down jump balls on the sideline. LMJ if used properly has the ability to be way better than reggie bush or sproles. Boldin we know can be the 3rd down guy for jump balls. But so can vance. Vernon may get doubled, but I bet after a few games, opponents will see how dangerous that is....hence I think he sees way more single coverage this yr. All AJ has to do is show us what he did at Illinois...and I believe he will. Roman better get LMJ in the slot as well as in the backfield as either a 3rd down go to guy or maybe just on every other down. If patton is as good as half his film., lookout. So far his camp is reported as good. Lockette is unknown to me, but may be way better than some think. Frank will get his catches, and hunter is a very good receiver( hope he heals well).

No matter how you slice it , we had nowhere near this kind of ball catching talent last yr. This yr it looks like we could lose half these guys to injury and still do okay
Obviously I am not forecasting that, but ball catchers getting injured has bedeviled us as of late. Not this yr. Just too much firepower. Here's the BIG question: will roman use it all? Honestly, that is the one thing I worry about more than how good are our ball catching squad. Will roman wake up and smell the daises and utilize all the talent we have?
No way to tell BUT I hope so.

I think VD playing a little receiver and from what I've been reading about Vance - the others could slip in and grow into the position.
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
I really feel that we are in a much better position at the WR position than we were last season:

In this order
Bolden (one year rental)
A.J. (will earn the #2, and keep it and eventually be our #1 WR)
Patton (excited about this guy; future #2)
Williams (I have a feeling he's gonna be a mainstay, but I cannot see him better than a #3 on this roster and returner)
Lockette (gonna have to show in camp and preseason that he belongs in the mix)
Manningham (later in the season, but he'll remain on our roster for a while)

If A.J. shows like I think he will, and Patton catches a lot of balls, I honestly think this could be Crabs last season with us. But overall, we are better situated at the WR spot this season than last season.

i think jenkins will surprise a lot of people this year. losing crabs does suck tho. VD worked exclusively with the WR's last week tho so hopefully he gets involved way more in the passing game. that would make a group of scrub receivers look a lot better on any team. VD has to get the ball more to cover up for missing crabs. boldin is a great receiver and the rest are unproven or coming off injuries, VD is the key to our success
Boldin will make up for a lot. It sounds like AJ Jenkins is making strides. Some of our young guys may do well. It may not be as bad as we think.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by LVJay:
On paper, yeah, no doubt...

released Moss but added a lot through FA/Draft. Boldin was a very good addition, K. Williams will be ready and we get to see AJJ (try to) prove that last year is in the rear-view mirror. MM is a ?? but if he comes back strong, Niners are in great shape. Hopefully, Crabs recovers fast and gets back into form come playoffs.
Austin Collie

Hopefully, NO MORE INJURIES...

Dude, that's like standing outside on the cloudy day of an outdoor wedding saying, "Well, hopefully it won't rain!"

LOL, right

keeping the fingers crossed/hoping, tho...
I'm not following this idea that we are better at WR with Crabtree's injury.

Boldin replaces Crabtree. -- Call it a wash.
Manningham is coming off a horrendous injury. -- Arrow down.
Williams is coming off an injury, although not as severe as Manningham's. -- Arrow slightly down.
AJ Jenkins has done nothing but is coming into his second year. -- Arrow slightly up.
Delanie Walker is replaced by a rookie. -- I'll call it a wash, which is a positive spin on the rookie.
Ginn is gone. -- I'll call it a wash. He didn't really do much at WR.
Moss is gone. -- Arrow down. He was fairly productive.
Patton is a rookie. -- Arrow slightly up. I like him, but he is just a rookie 4th round pick.
Everyone else is a wash.

It all adds up to 1 1/2 arrows down from where we were last year. Sure I WANT Patton, AJ and McDonald to blow it up, but Crabtree was our best WR, there is no positive spin for this. Our best WR is out, and we are not better because of it.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Jun 19, 2013 at 11:43 PM ]
Originally posted by BrianGO:
I'm not following this idea that we are better at WR with Crabtree's injury.

Boldin replaces Crabtree. -- Call it a wash.
Manningham is coming off a horrendous injury. -- Arrow down.
Williams is coming off an injury, although not as severe as Manningham's. -- Arrow slightly down.
AJ Jenkins has done nothing but is coming into his second year. -- Arrow slightly up.
Delanie Walker is replaced by a rookie. -- I'll call it a wash, which is a positive spin on the rookie.
Ginn is gone. -- I'll call it a wash. He didn't really do much at WR.
Moss is gone. -- Arrow down. He was fairly productive.
Patton is a rookie. -- Arrow slightly up. I like him, but he is just a rookie 4th round pick.
Everyone else is a wash.

It all adds up to 1 1/2 arrows down from where we were last year. Sure I WANT Patton, AJ and McDonald to blow it up, but Crabtree was our best WR, there is no positive spin for this. Our best WR is out, and we are not better because of it.

Agreed. This is the best analysis of our situation so far. There is no way we are better off with Crabtree out. Other than Boldin, everyone else is a question mark, either due to returning from injury, or having "unproven" potential. We've seen guys before who looked good in OTA's and mini-camps, but who didn't produce in real games. If Harbaugh and Baalke we so confident in our WR corps, I don't think they would have signed Brandon Carswell, or brought Austin Collie in for a workout. They are obviously still looking for another wide-out. Personally, I still think we should take a look at Brandon Lloyd. People say he's a Diva, but if you sign him to a non-guaranteed deal, and he doesn't fit in, then you just cut him. But he is the most productive FA receiver available right now. I think he would be good insurance until Crabtree gets back. Randy Moss was also considered a Diva, but he was just fine in the locker room last year.
Again with the Brandon Lloyd talk. Will it ever end?

1. Brandon Lloyd cannot block and will not block - that just doesn't roll with Harbaugh.
2. Brandon Lloyd really doesn't like to go over the middle - again, that's just not okay with Harbaugh.
3. Brandon Lloyd has never shown anyone that he is willing to take a big hit for a reception - not Harbaugh's kind of player.
4. Brandon Lloyd goes down when he catches a pass - very low YAC numbers.
5. Brandon Lloyd offered the Patriots a discount but they didn't take it because he was a disruptive presence in the locker room and on the practice field - Harbaugh stresses the team and team players.
6. The Patriots and Tom Brady didn't like Lloyd's attitude - attitude is very important to Harbaugh.

And number seven, the envelope please...
7. Bryant Young couldn't stand Brandon Lloyd when he was on the team.

Are you guys trying to argue that out of Jenkins, KW, Patton, Lockette, and Marlon Moore, not ONE of these players will rise enough to be worthy of playing opposite Boldin? Really? Boldin and Crabtree are both classic possession receivers. Boldin was the best possession receiver in the playoffs just a few months back and displayed immediate chemistry with Kaepernick. If just one more guy steps up, the receiving corp will be just fine. And then, Manningham comes back. Plus, this is 2013 - guys actually come back from injuries at full speed these days. It's not like it was even just 10 years ago with injuries.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Crabtree + Boldin woulda been AWESOME...hopefully Jenkins & Co. can emulate Crabs' production until he comes back late in the season (fingers crossed)

It would've been great to watch the both of them work on the field at the same time. I can only imagine the opportunities that two receivers like that would create for a speedier wideout. Hopefully Boldin shows he has a lot left this season and we can resign him to a cap friendly deal allowing him to retire as a 49er.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Again with the Brandon Lloyd talk. Will it ever end?

1. Brandon Lloyd cannot block and will not block - that just doesn't roll with Harbaugh.
2. Brandon Lloyd really doesn't like to go over the middle - again, that's just not okay with Harbaugh.
3. Brandon Lloyd has never shown anyone that he is willing to take a big hit for a reception - not Harbaugh's kind of player.
4. Brandon Lloyd goes down when he catches a pass - very low YAC numbers.
5. Brandon Lloyd offered the Patriots a discount but they didn't take it because he was a disruptive presence in the locker room and on the practice field - Harbaugh stresses the team and team players.
6. The Patriots and Tom Brady didn't like Lloyd's attitude - attitude is very important to Harbaugh.

And number seven, the envelope please...
7. Bryant Young couldn't stand Brandon Lloyd when he was on the team.

Are you guys trying to argue that out of Jenkins, KW, Patton, Lockette, and Marlon Moore, not ONE of these players will rise enough to be worthy of playing opposite Boldin? Really? Boldin and Crabtree are both classic possession receivers. Boldin was the best possession receiver in the playoffs just a few months back and displayed immediate chemistry with Kaepernick. If just one more guy steps up, the receiving corp will be just fine. And then, Manningham comes back. Plus, this is 2013 - guys actually come back from injuries at full speed these days. It's not like it was even just 10 years ago with injuries.

Brandon Lloyd (2012)
74 receptions
911 yards
12.3 yards per catch
4 TD's

Anquan Boldin (2012)
65 receptions
925 yards
14.2 yards per catch
4 TD's

Hmmm? Brandon Lloyd's production looks remarkably similar to Anquan Boldin's. I wouldn't mind having those stats for our 2nd wide-out while Crabtree is recovering. The arguments made against Lloyd are all opinion. The receiving stats are fact. And who cares if New England didn't like his attitude, and let him go? They let Randy Moss go too, and he was a model citizen last year on our team. The coaches set the tone for how players behave, and I think that Harbaugh and Baalke can mange Lloyd's personality. I rest my case.
Not on board with Brandon LLoyd anymore than I like the idea of bringing back Glen Coffee, Rashaun Woods, or signing Martha Stewart to a multi-year deal.

I think it is a very loud message that the 49ers are not chasing free agent receivers but merely kicking the tires on a couple of them.

They still may sign another one but does that mean it is out of desperation and the sky is falling?
I mentioned this awhile back in the Crabtree thread but I expect Jenkins to step up big time and Patton to contribute instantly. I think Vance McDonald will make us forget about Delanie Walker by the end of the year or at most half way through next season. He will instantly contribute and I think the way him and Celek have been looking is as much reason for us lining up Davis at WR at times as any. Maybe it turns out to be a once in awhile thing with Davis but either way I am very excited about McDonald, Jenkins and Patton. Celek will definitely be more of a receiving threat than he was last year. I think we are going to be using a committee to replace Crabtree, not just one guy. Crabtree or not we are much better off then we were at the end of last season with Williams and Manningham down. We should be close to or equal at TE when you look at 1-3. At WR adding Boldin, Patton, an improved Jenkins and Lockette we should be in great shape. Not to mention a healthy Williams and Manningham. I'm glad no more Hastings, Ginn and Swain at WR for us like the past 2 years.
Thanks 49erfanatic for the comp stats. Brian, I would take issue with you that boldin will not replace and equal crabs. The way I see it is that Boldin has MORE to offer in that he with Jacoby were the Kings of the 3rd down Jumpball passes on the sideline. Crbs never did that and it is indefensible essentially. Ball does have to be on target, but if anyone thinks we aren't going to be throwing to boldin on the sideline, just past first down line, you are in for a surprise. Sure crbs finally had a great season, but boldin helped his team beat us. Kinda classy too, that he passed on going to meet Obama and instead stayed and practiced with his new team.

So Brian, altho stats are nearly the same, only boldin had the ability to catch that sideline jumpball on the first down marker. Don't think for a moment we won't see that pass the first time we really need to , have to , have that first down. It's coming...to Boldin....jump ball style. I don't think there is a defender in the league that can stop that pass once Kap learns how to and where to throw it for Anquan.

As for the rest of our talent, I cannot believe we are not 3x better in passing game this yr. Vance is going to turn some heads, and will do so early on in season. Patton the same. If roman puts LMJ in slot , in addition to him being the bail out guy in the backfield, we are going to see some spectacular running once LMJ catches the ball. Vernon will not be able to be doubled and opponents are going to get killed by our passing game...which will only be 50% of our plays because that is the way Coach H likes it.

Also, as noted above, Vernon in slot or split wide will give the Ds fits. We are way better this year and the season hasn't even begun.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Jun 20, 2013 at 3:59 PM ]
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Thanks 49erfanatic for the comp stats. Brian, I would take issue with you that boldin will not replace and equal crabs. The way I see it is that Boldin has MORE to offer in that he with Jacoby were the Kings of the 3rd down Jumpball passes on the sideline. Crbs never did that and it is indefensible essentially. Ball does have to be on target, but if anyone thinks we aren't going to be throwing to boldin on the sideline, just past first down line, you are in for a surprise. Sure crbs finally had a great season, but boldin helped his team beat us. Kinda classy too, that he passed on going to meet Obama and instead stayed and practiced with his new team.

So Brian, altho stats are nearly the same, only boldin had the ability to catch that sideline jumpball on the first down marker. Don't think for a moment we won't see that pass the first time we really need to , have to , have that first down. It's coming...to Boldin....jump ball style. I don't think there is a defender in the league that can stop that pass once Kap learns how to and where to throw it for Anquan.

As for the rest of our talent, I cannot believe we are not 3x better in passing game this yr. Vance is going to turn some heads, and will do so early on in season. Patton the same. If roman puts LMJ in slot , in addition to him being the bail out guy in the backfield, we are going to see some spectacular running once LMJ catches the ball. Vernon will not be able to be doubled and opponents are going to get killed by our passing game...which will only be 50% of our plays because that is the way Coach H likes it.

Also, as noted above, Vernon in slot or split wide will give the Ds fits. We are way better this year and the season hasn't even begun.

I love Boldin. That's why I made him a wash with Crabs. However, do you think he is going to have more yards / catches than Crabtree had for us last year? We have a different offense than Baltimore. I know he is great on 3rd downs, but SO is Crabtree. Boldin makes some spectacular catches, but Crabtree is better at getting open and makes tough catches look easy.

In a best case scenario, Vance, Patton and AJ are great players, but that is a best case scenario. As of right now, it is just wishful thinking.