LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 441 users in the forums

49ERS have never had a 1,000 yard TE

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Typically you should get 1000 yards from your wide receiver not your TE because your receivers are your pure pass catchers (which Vernon is not) and their main objective is running routes and getting open unlike a TE who is an extension of your offensive line and more of a safety valve.
[ Edited by Alexdontlivehere on Jun 15, 2013 at 8:16 PM ]
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
Originally posted by JimDrinkAMiller:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Well a few years back with QB X, he almost broke the record for TD's in a season. I'd rather see that side than the 1000yds.

That's what happens when QB X is only comfortable throwing to one guy. Kaep will distribute to Boldin and whoever steps up, so it's going to be tough for Vernon to break the TD record or even hit 1,000.

Kaep locked in on crabtree last year just like alex did with Vernon. Now that crabtree is down, I hope it will result in Kaep spreading the ball out more often than he did last year. It will be tough for Vernon to do either/or but if there is a guy on the team that can do it, it would be Vernon. If crabs was healthy it would be a different story. Even though boldin had a phenomenal postseason, he didn't do too much in the regular season. Boldin also had a couple of years of flaco throwing him the ball.
Exactly. Thanks for pointing that out. He was kaeps security blanket, as vernon was alex's. Now was either a bad thing. Hell no. I think every Qb should have a go to guy. Like Peyton with Wayne (when with the colts), or Brady when he had Welker. It really speaks volumes when you can rise from bad things happening. I def wanna see what kaep's made of this year. My only worry is that, he and Vernon will never be as close as Vernon was with Alex. and spread the ball to 10 receivers if you want too. Vernon is still one of the top TE's in the game, and id like to see his production go back up.

While Crabtree made more plays than anyone else, Kaep did not hesitate to go to other receivers and give them a chance to make something happen. Manningham and Williams got their fair share of looks, as did Moss when he was in. Vernon also came alive in the passing game in the postseason, even with Crabtree on the field. So, while Kaep obviously got the ball to Crabtree more than anyone else, that doesn't mean the other guys didn't get their opportunities. Who else did QB X give shots to when Vernon almost hit 1,000? That's right, nobody. If they weren't open (and I mean open by NFL standards) they didn't receive a look. You have to let WRs make something happen, and that's what Kaep seems to do. Ask Crabtree.

My point is I wouldn't expect Kaep to only lock in on Vernon the way the other QB did. The ball will likely be spread around even more now that Kaep will be more comfortable in the offense (which, by the way, will likely be fitted to suit his strengths). Don't forget that Vernon also blocks on some passing plays while WRs on the field are almost always an option on a passing down. We use a lot of 2 TE sets and Vernon is the far superior blocker, so if he or Vance is going to stay in and block, it's probably gonna be VD while Vance runs the route. This wasn't the case when Vernon almost hit 1,000.
[ Edited by 49erRider on Jun 18, 2013 at 10:13 PM ]
NOt happening this year. Vance will have like 600 yards and Vernon will have like 800 yards.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
Jessica Simpson's husband had a 1,500 yard season with us

Still wish he was a 9er.

I had no idea Jessica Simpson was married to Eric Johnson. Too bad he didn't get her before she got fat.
Originally posted by JimDrinkAMiller:
Well a few years back with QB X, he almost broke the record for TD's in a season. I'd rather see that side than the 1000yds.

That's what happens when QB X is only comfortable throwing to one guy. Kaep will distribute to Boldin and whoever steps up, so it's going to be tough for Vernon to break the TD record or even hit 1,000.

Kaep locked in on crabtree last year just like alex did with Vernon. Now that crabtree is down, I hope it will result in Kaep spreading the ball out more often than he did last year. It will be tough for Vernon to do either/or but if there is a guy on the team that can do it, it would be Vernon. If crabs was healthy it would be a different story. Even though boldin had a phenomenal postseason, he didn't do too much in the regular season. Boldin also had a couple of years of flaco throwing him the ball.
Exactly. Thanks for pointing that out. He was kaeps security blanket, as vernon was alex's. Now was either a bad thing. Hell no. I think every Qb should have a go to guy. Like Peyton with Wayne (when with the colts), or Brady when he had Welker. It really speaks volumes when you can rise from bad things happening. I def wanna see what kaep's made of this year. My only worry is that, he and Vernon will never be as close as Vernon was with Alex. and spread the ball to 10 receivers if you want too. Vernon is still one of the top TE's in the game, and id like to see his production go back up.

While Crabtree made more plays than anyone else, Kaep did not hesitate to go to other receivers and give them a chance to make something happen. Manningham and Williams got their fair share of looks, as did Moss when he was in. Vernon also came alive in the passing game in the postseason, even with Crabtree on the field. So, while Kaep obviously got the ball to Crabtree more than anyone else, that doesn't mean the other guys didn't get their opportunities. Who else did QB X give shots to when Vernon almost hit 1,000? That's right, nobody. If they weren't open (and I mean open by NFL standards) they didn't receive a look. You have to let WRs make something happen, and that's what Kaep seems to do. Ask Crabtree.

My point is I wouldn't expect Kaep to only lock in on Vernon the way the other QB did. The ball will likely be spread around even more now that Kaep will be more comfortable in the offense (which, by the way, will likely be fitted to suit his strengths). Don't forget that Vernon also blocks on some passing plays while WRs on the field are almost always an option on a passing down. We use a lot of 2 TE sets and Vernon is the far superior blocker, so if he or Vance is going to stay in and block, it's probably gonna be VD while Vance runs the route. This wasn't the case when Vernon almost hit 1,000.

Actually qb X got the ball to crabtree gore and morgan around 50 times each that season, Which is more than Vernon, moss, ham and gore this past season. You can point to the fact that ham and Williams were injured but crabtree also missed the first few games of the 09 season. There's nothing wrong with kaep going to crabs so much (he was targeted twice as much as any other receiver on the team), I think the rotation of receivers was a big part of this, as you would see the 49ers use a variety. I realize that it wasn't all kaep this past season but kaep def locked in on crabtree as alex did with vernon. I think losing crabs is a blessing in disguise to be honest. He'll build more chemistry with his other receivers, crabs $$ value drops, and he should be back for the most important part of the season.

Kaep will be more comfortable with the offense but his weapons are also depleted. Boldin isn't a true number 1 IMO (except postseason boldin) . Williams and ham are coming off of major surgeries. Then you have a unproven rookie in patton(who I think can be really good) and an inproven 2nd year player in jenkins. Vernon is our best weapon IMO and the fact that we're working him at receiver tells me he's gonna be asset for us in the passing game. Mcdonald also is a ? but I think he like patton can be really good.

I completely agree that Vernon's value to the team as a run blocker and pass blocker is HUGE. This would be the only reason I don't see him getting a huge amount of yards. Other than that I think the sky is the limit for Vernon.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Still wish he was a 9er.

I do too, but Eric Johnson never got close to 1500 yards. His best season was 2004 when he had 825 yards and 2 TD's.

Vernon Davis has already had a 965 yard season with 13 TD's so it's beyond me how anyone can be sure he can't get to 1000. That's just 35 more yards than his personal best and he's going to go the season with a QB who tends to throw the long ball. He can do it.
Kaepernick has already explained to all of us what he does. He throws to the open guy. If they develop plays designed to get Davis behind the secondary, I'm pretty sure Kaepernick will be throwing it his way. And Davis was getting a lot better at catching Kaepernick's passes towards the end of last season. He'll be even better at it this next season. I look for a big season from Vernon Davis.
Vance will become one of Kap's go-to guys...because he's a huge target, he's got good hands and is comfortable lining up anywhere on the field. That means he and Vernon will be sharing the TE receptions. That's not a bad thing at all...in fact, it'll help Kap keep opposing defenses off-balance. It'll also pick up some of the slack with Crabtree out. So, to the point, I'm not sure Vernon will eclipse 1000 yds, but that doesn't really matter. What matters is that his catches have impact, as well as Vance's. We could have the most dynamic TE tandem in the league, given Gronk's surgery history and Hernandez maybe landing in jail.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Vance will become one of Kap's go-to guys...because he's a huge target, he's got good hands and is comfortable lining up anywhere on the field. That means he and Vernon will be sharing the TE receptions. That's not a bad thing at all...in fact, it'll help Kap keep opposing defenses off-balance. It'll also pick up some of the slack with Crabtree out. So, to the point, I'm not sure Vernon will eclipse 1000 yds, but that doesn't really matter. What matters is that his catches have impact, as well as Vance's. We could have the most dynamic TE tandem in the league, given Gronk's surgery history and Hernandez maybe landing in jail.

I agree, TE will be a strength this season

Share 49ersWebzone