There are 150 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Our Defensive Coordinator, Vic Fangio

Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by JimDrinkAMiller:
Yeah you are right about that. I just think there was more of a problem than just depth with the front 7. Maybe a lot of it had to do with all the injuries we suffered. I just think that every team has guys that are injured or play banged up, so I'm not using that as an excuse. Hopefully I am wrong and you are right.

See, he does think the team needs to improve.

The starting front seven is one the best in the game, but nose tackle was clear problem last year. Hopefully, Dorsey or Williams will step up.

The reason we need better depth is precisely because injuries can and do happen. The draft should provide us better depth.

I am more concerned about the back four than the front seven.


I completely agree the back 4 are more of a problem. I think the front 7 needs to be improved outside of just depth. Like I said hopefully I am wrong.

I am sorry to all those who I have offended and for the way I acted. It was childish.

I like being a member of the webzone and sharing my opinions with so many smart 49er fans. I will try not to get so worked up over heated debates. I will also try to include more facts to go along with my opinions.

I will also take off the O and just call you buck if that's what you prefer.
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 11,354
Originally posted by JimDrinkAMiller:
I completely agree the back 4 are more of a problem. I think the front 7 needs to be improved outside of just depth. Like I said hopefully I am wrong.

I am sorry to all those who I have offended and for the way I acted. It was childish.

I like being a member of the webzone and sharing my opinions with so many smart 49er fans. I will try not to get so worked up over heated debates. I will also try to include more facts to go along with my opinions.

I will also take off the O and just call you buck if that's what you prefer.

My name is buck and you know that is what I prefer.

Without a doubt, the biggest needs in the front seven are improved play at nose tackle and better depth.

The return of Haralson and the additions of Lemonier and Carradine should help solve the problem of depth at outside linebacker and defensive end.
I am still concerned about the quality of our depth at inside linebacker.



Without doubt we will need to rotate the front 7.

Nobody seems to have raised the fact that with Kaep on the offense we are scoring a lot faster and I see that happening next year more often as our offense is more familiar. We've made some big chunk gains and that means the defense is on the field for longer.

In light of that it's going to be very important we can rotate.
Are the mods all on vacation?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 26,872
Originally posted by JimDrinkAMiller:
Your probably the one that got beat up a lot as a kid. That's what happens to instigators like yourself. Just lucky it wasn't a guy like me on the other end.

wow,, you are some tough guy on the internet. you can only be so bad in your moms basement typing with your chubby little fingers
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by JimDrinkAMiller:
Your probably the one that got beat up a lot as a kid. That's what happens to instigators like yourself. Just lucky it wasn't a guy like me on the other end.

wow,, you are some tough guy on the internet. you can only be so bad in your moms basement typing with your chubby little fingers

Made me think about the South Park Episode:

Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by JimDrinkAMiller:
Your probably the one that got beat up a lot as a kid. That's what happens to instigators like yourself. Just lucky it wasn't a guy like me on the other end.

wow,, you are some tough guy on the internet. you can only be so bad in your moms basement typing with your chubby little fingers

if you only knew... Maybe one day we can get a webzone tackle football game going.
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 11,354
Originally posted by cciowa:
wow,, you are some tough guy on the internet. you can only be so bad in your moms basement typing with your chubby little fingers

CC Iowa

my turn, as a native of South Dakota, I would suggest it is time to let it go.

The dude has apologized.

Just a recommendation
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 11,354
Originally posted by Buchy:
Without doubt we will need to rotate the front 7.

Nobody seems to have raised the fact that with Kaep on the offense we are scoring a lot faster and I see that happening next year more often as our offense is more familiar. We've made some big chunk gains and that means the defense is on the field for longer.

In light of that it's going to be very important we can rotate.

Nice take.

I am not sure if scoring faster creates a problem, but maybe.

If the defense gets a 3 and out and then we score faster, would that not create the space for us to safely rotate in our back ups.

But, whatever, if we score faster, that is good.
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by Buchy:
Without doubt we will need to rotate the front 7.

Nobody seems to have raised the fact that with Kaep on the offense we are scoring a lot faster and I see that happening next year more often as our offense is more familiar. We've made some big chunk gains and that means the defense is on the field for longer.

In light of that it's going to be very important we can rotate.

Nice take.

I am not sure if scoring faster creates a problem, but maybe.

If the defense gets a 3 and out and then we score faster, would that not create the space for us to safely rotate in our back ups.

But, whatever, if we score faster, that is good.


I definitely think it's good, we take points when we can get them no matter how quick it is, but that will mean def playing more snaps.
The TOP is an excellent point. With Alex, we slowly bled teams to death and typically won (mostly comfortably) with a smaller point differential (20-10). Slow, methodical drives, clock-eating, ground-and-pound and timely scoring. Under CK, we have the ability to be more explosive and score more quickly. This is a 180-degree shift in philosophy. We can be a quick-strike offense. Does that mean we should be though? It's fair to say that when you score and score quickly, it's true, it means way more snaps for your defense and it also changes their approach as well (may be become more attack-like as well). The Pats game is a great example of this...what was it, 90 snaps for the defense? And we saw the result in Seattle the next week. So I think this is another reason we stocked up in depth for a defensive rotation.
This stat came from PFF 32 observations, week 8 ( posting from phone):

"San Francisco 49ers: While the 49ers have blitzed opposing quarterbacks 55 times, they only have one sack on blitzes. That is a rate of 1.8% which is the worst in the league."

Meanwhile our friends up north , 80 blitzes, 13 sacks, 16.3% sack rate, best in league.

Doesn't answer entire story maybe because of Aldon , but maybe an answer on why we don't blitz much.
I will say that Fangio calls some of the most awful, predictable blitzes I've seen, its clearly not a strength of his, the 49ers have more than enough guys who can blitz and get to the QB but there's really no creativity, it's about as vanilla as blitzes get, however little he calls them. If you watch teams like Arizona, Philly, Seattle, they get all sorts of creative with their blitzes and send guys at you from all sides and angles, it's hard to keep up with.
Good point on the lack of disguise/timing. That goldson blitz on Eli two years ago that led to the nicks TD was absolutely dreadful.

I think we will figure it out eventually.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I will say that Fangio calls some of the most awful, predictable blitzes I've seen, its clearly not a strength of his, the 49ers have more than enough guys who can blitz and get to the QB but there's really no creativity, it's about as vanilla as blitzes get, however little he calls them. If you watch teams like Arizona, Philly, Seattle, they get all sorts of creative with their blitzes and send guys at you from all sides and angles, it's hard to keep up with.

Manusky, Nolan, Singletary and now Fangio. Why do we always have the most vanilla 3-4 in the NFL? Talent-wise top to bottom, how can you not take advantage of the 4 best LBers in the game? I'd be having a field day scheming blitzes. Is it b/c we have small CBs who can't play press so we're are forced to drop Willis/Bowman and an extra DB or two in coverage?
[ Edited by NCommand on Oct 30, 2013 at 8:10 AM ]
...