There are 122 users in the forums

Our Defensive Coordinator, Vic Fangio

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by DeUh:
MaioccoCSN

Fangio said all three personal foul penalties vs. Seahawks were bad calls.

duh

First time someone from within the organization came out saying that the 1st personal foul call on Reid was BS as well.
MaioccoCSN

duh

First time someone from within the organization came out saying that the 1st personal foul call on Reid was BS as well.

Yeah I just heard that. Fangio is a ruler. F**k Ed "I need camera time after every single play" Hochuli and the NATIONAL F**KED UP LEAGUE.
MaioccoCSN

duh

I thought all 3 were B.S. too. No doubt.
Fangio is the McGyver of DCs. He made a top 10 defense out of a bunch of late round draft picks and practice squad promoters. Fangio is brilliant.
Originally posted by prime21:
Fangio is the McGyver of DCs. He made a top 10 defense out of a bunch of late round draft picks and practice squad promoters. Fangio is brilliant.

The best! He's the heart of soul of this coaching staff.
I certainly hope we are able to keep Fangio regardless of whatever happens this season. He has been a key reason for our success!
If we lose Fangio... NOOOOOOOOO
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
I can't believe we are likely going to lose Fangio because we have a 33 year old owner who is emotionally sensitive and can't manage conflict. York does to Baalke exactly what he accuses Harbaugh of doing to Roman - blind allegiance despite lack of consistent results.

Fangio won't become our HC because he has a brutally honest style, and York HATES coaches with brutally honest styles. When Harbaugh said "pay the man" about one of our players, York was incensed I heard. When he said the Niners are "above reproach", same thing. This is not a f**king popularity contest, but that is what York is trying to win. What would Eddie D do?

Therefore, with Fangio likely not getting the job, he will be likely miffed and then with the abundance of defensive minded coaches getting interviewed, he'll likely want to get out. The fact that the niners are allowing him to interview for other positions leaves me flabbergasted. What have you done, Jed York? How are we going to hold you accountable exactly?

I've never been this mad as a niners fan. Even Alex Smith's perennial incompetence didn't make me this angry.
Originally posted by Shemp:
I can't believe we are likely going to lose Fangio because we have a 33 year old owner who is emotionally sensitive and can't manage conflict. York does to Baalke exactly what he accuses Harbaugh of doing to Roman - blind allegiance despite lack of consistent results.

Fangio won't become our HC because he has a brutally honest style, and York HATES coaches with brutally honest styles. When Harbaugh said "pay the man" about one of our players, York was incensed I heard. When he said the Niners are "above reproach", same thing. This is not a f**king popularity contest, but that is what York is trying to win. What would Eddie D do?

Therefore, with Fangio likely not getting the job, he will be likely miffed and then with the abundance of defensive minded coaches getting interviewed, he'll likely want to get out. The fact that the niners are allowing him to interview for other positions leaves me flabbergasted. What have you done, Jed York? How are we going to hold you accountable exactly?

I've never been this mad as a niners fan. Even Alex Smith's perennial incompetence didn't make me this angry.

That is pretty damning. If they were in a good spot with Fangio they wouldn't allow him to interview for lateral position moves. For a HC job elsewhere sure but to be interviewing for the same job wiht other teams to me means Fangio is about to roll.
Originally posted by lamontb:

That is pretty damning. If they were in a good spot with Fangio they wouldn't allow him to interview for lateral position moves. For a HC job elsewhere sure but to be interviewing for the same job wiht other teams to me means Fangio is about to roll.

Unless they have someone else in mind to replace Fangio... like Donatell.

But I still would rather have Fangio. To lose both would be potato.

Where has it been reported that we have let Fangio interview for other DC openings?
losing fangio is worse than losing harbaugh. hopefully they can keep him and donatell somehow. the rest of the staff is expendable but these guys are magicians witht he talent/or lack of talent they are given
Originally posted by Niners418:
Where has it been reported that we have let Fangio interview for other DC openings?

It's been reported that we refused Washington. But don't worry about facts.

Make Fangio head coach and Tomsula defensive coordinator. Then you just need a new offensive coordinator. You have continuity on D, and the least disruption possible. You can reload instead of rebuild. I can buy that as a reasonable plan, even justifying losing Harbaugh.

Otherwise, you probably lose Fangio. How must he feel, seeing Jed and Trent interviewing a buffoon like Rex Ryan? So we end up with a new head coach, new offensive and defensive coordinators, totally starting over. Likely with a far worse coaching staff than what we started with. Idiots!
Originally posted by lamontb:

I think it's fair to allow him to at least interview because who knows if the new head coach will retain his services. No harm at all in making connections with a new team just in case. With that said, if I'm Vic Fangio I'd be confident that the front office wants to keep the defensive staff in tact and there is no way I'd leave San Francisco to go to DC. This was his greatest job yet as a defensive coordinator and he has had his best run as a playcaller in San Francisco. If he is truly interested in becoming a head coach, I think his best bet is to remain with the 49ers and continue to dominate as a DC. He will get some looks, particularly if we put together a great run defensively with a winning team. Also, if he doesn't get the job here, big deal. Learn the interview process and how to put together a good presentation.

With that said, if he goes, I will be upset, but let's not kid ourselves. There are quality defensive coordinators out there. I'd love to see what Wade Phillips could do with this defense.
Share 49ersWebzone