LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 400 users in the forums

Our Defensive Coordinator, Vic Fangio

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
Fangio calls a good game, but I still don't understand his personnel decisions.

Lynch is an animal, but it took until week four to finally get him some extended playing time. Lynch, Williams, and Justin Smith were generating the pass rush this week, it had nothing to do with Fangio's scheme. Fangio is a genius with the secondary, but why can't we have our best pass rushers on the field? Why is that so hard?

The "playbook" is not generating our pass rush this year. It has been our PERSONNEL, not our playbook. Lynch finally gets on the field, and he is giving us what we have been desperate for; but why did this take so long?

Now we need to get Carradine on the field. It is still mind-blowing that he is not. His absence from the rotation continues to hurt our pass rush.

Just because Fangio is a genius at calling plays in the secondary, doesn't address the fact that our pass rush has been generally bad this year, because he refuses to play our best pass rushers.

Personnel is part of scheme.

You plan what people are going to be doing what in what situations. he finally made the adjustment to put brooks on aldon's side and put lynch on brooks side and you see it worked wonders. it took him forever to do it but the point is he did it and vic isn't the type to do something and then never do it again. he is the opposite of arguing with results.
so we will see it regularly now and that's the good thing.

There is zero excuse to not have Carradine in the rotation. Again, Fangio's scheme is not generating the little pass rush we have seen, it has been the flat out ability of certain individual players making individual plays. Lynch is beating people one-on-one. Williams did it today. Justin Smith has been doing it too.

What is the worst that can happen on third and long? Is Carradine going to run the wrong way on the field? Is he going to line up off-sides? "Just go get the f**king quarterback." How about that for a play? That sounds simple enough. The game is pretty simple; especially when it comes to rushing the quarterback. TALENT gets to the quarterback, not playbooks. f**k the playbook. We need to get the quarterback.

Like i said, personnel is part of the scheme for vic. he has his match ups and his ideas of what should work

he used lynch today and will continue to because it gets results

he is also the type of coach that is hard on rookies unless you're a 1st round pick. (aldon, reid, ward)

he just needs to give tank a shot and tank needs to work his tail off to prove he's ready.

Dial did and dial has been active every single game after our poor performance against the run in week 1
[ Edited by jonesadrian on Sep 28, 2014 at 11:12 PM ]
seriously, its time to put tank into the game. even if he doesnt know all the plays, put him in for the ones that he knows.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Defense Regular Season Statistics

2013 Statistics

5th in total yards per game
7th in passing yards per game
4th in rushing yards per game
3th in points per game

2012 Statistics

3th in total yards per game
4th in passing yards per game
2nd in points per game

2011 Statistics

4th in total yards per game
16th in passing yards per game
1st in rushing yards per game
2nd in points per game

--------------------------------------------------------

2014 Statistics After 4 Games

2th in total yards per game
2nd in rushing yards per game
12th in points per game

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/position/defense

Originally posted by DeUh:

2013 Statistics

3th in points per game

2012 Statistics

2nd in points per game

2011 Statistics

2nd in points per game

12th in points per game

^^^ We love you man! Keep 'em coming!
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by DeUh:

2013 Statistics

3th in points per game

2012 Statistics

2nd in points per game

2011 Statistics

2nd in points per game

12th in points per game

^^^ We love you man! Keep 'em coming!

and this is without 3 major pieces and 1 pretty major piece out there. it is SCARY how good this defense will be. we just got through shutting down the eagles high octane offense. the chiefs had the biggest explosion on offense monday and really had 3 drives the whole game.

when you can hold teams to 3 drives like we do that's a recipe for getting it done.

let's keep the momentum UP there were plays to be made out there that we didn't and i know they'll look at it and build on it. we made the adjustment which was stop playing off the chiefs because alex isn't going to throw it deep. that changed the game and also keyed in on the te and rb's

that was all she wrote. reid with the unbelievable play on charles in the flat was all i needed to see. we were on it.
With Lynch, Aldon and Carradine on the field, we will be the number one defense in the league.

Currently, we are doing all of this with a mediocre pass rush.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Oct 5, 2014 at 5:30 PM ]
With Lynch, Aldon and Carradine on the field, we will be the number one defense in the league.

Agree. We could become a very scary defense

exactly

all of our defensive struggles has come down to pass rush. we've put a band aid on it for now and it's doing it's thing. ALSO love that brooks is following lynch's lead with the batted down passes. there's no reason we shouldn't be batting them down every game from here on out.

secondary is top notch top notch and the linebackers...especially wihote and skuta are just gems out there. people don't even realize or pay attention to the fact that aldon smith and navarro bowman are not playing and our core is still doing a great job.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Why teams continue to overlook Fangio is beyond me.

But a part of me doesn't want Fangio to leave if Harbaugh leaves I owuldn't mind seeing Fangio as HC.
I think the only problem I had with fangio today is that he didnt adjust right away or looked like he gameplanned for kc offense to start the game. we were still playing that soft zone underneath with big cushions for WRs. and run D was getting its ass handed to them

once we adjusted and started stacking the box and DBs were instructed to jump routes, that offense looked very familiar and alex struggled big-time

overall a very good outing, especially in the second half.

also ward and cully looked bad, but thats not on fangio in any way. we can hide these guys against kc, but someone like peyton who knows how to read the defense well will eat them for breakfast
[ Edited by the_dynasty on Oct 5, 2014 at 9:46 PM ]

If I am fangio, idk whether to strangle Roman or thank him

Wanna strangle him because of calling terrible plays when we could have closed it out easily

or

thank him for making me look like a genius against the sorry ass rams

They came out and jumped on us. We adjusted and shut the rams completely down.

Injuries happened and the rookies were ready to play.
To think that Willis didn't play in the entire 2nd half and Borland stepped up and there was not a huge noticeable difference.

or that ward went down cox moves to the slot and cook and johnson come in and make impact plays as well as the game sealing td?

This defense was missing 3 all pro linebackers against a team with a hot qb and weapons and a team that puts up points and we shut them DOWN.

no vance turnover this could have easily been a 10 point defensive performance.
Like i said before... fangio puts his players "in the right position at the right time" Now its on them to make a play!!!
Amazing what we are doing down Bowman, Dorsey, Brock... plus the injuries the previous years like Willis, etc. And thats after losing guys in FA like Whitner, Brown, Goldson, Rogers, RJF, Sopoaga, etc. Credit to Baalke and this defensive staff. We continue to be in the top 5 or so in pass defense; we couldnt break top 15 for like a decade plus before Fangio (and donatell) got here. Not to mention how many years of top 5ish for the run D as well.

When you think of some of the guys out there some nobody wanted. Williams UDFA, Cook (not one viking fan misses him), Cox (broncos, 49ers, seattle, 49ers), Wilhoite (UDFA Washburn), Tramaine Brock UDFA (Belhaven). TJE UDFA, Dobbs UDFA, Skuta (cinci st turned solid OLB backup), Lynch (5th round headcase to others), Brooks (sup draft, cut by bengals and us), etc

Anyways, I'm not sure Fangio would take a HC job if he was offered one. Been coaching for like 35 years never had one, he's 56 years old too. I hope we can keep Fangio, Donatell, Leavitt, Tomsula until they retire. Now the offensive coaches minus a few they can leave if they want.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Oct 14, 2014 at 12:28 AM ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Amazing what we are doing down Bowman, Dorsey, Brock... plus the injuries the previous years like Willis, etc. And thats after losing guys in FA like Whitner, Brown, Goldson, Rogers, RJF, Sopoaga, etc. Credit to Baalke and this defensive staff. We continue to be in the top 5 or so in pass defense; we couldnt break top 15 for like a decade plus before Fangio (and donatell) got here. Not to mention how many years of top 5ish for the run D as well.

When you think of some of the guys out there some nobody wanted. Williams UDFA, Cook (not one viking fan misses him), Cox (broncos, 49ers, seattle, 49ers), Wilhoite (UDFA Washburn), Tramaine Brock UDFA (Belhaven). TJE UDFA, Dobbs UDFA, Skuta (cinci st turned solid OLB backup), Lynch (5th round headcase to others), Brooks (sup draft, cut by bengals and us), etc

Anyways, I'm not sure Fangio would take a HC job if he was offered one. Been coaching for like 35 years never had one, he's 56 years old too. I hope we can keep Fangio, Donatell, Leavitt, Tomsula until they retire. Now the offensive coaches minus a few they can leave if they want.

I think the excellent play from our safety position deserves a lot of credit. Teams can't seem to find guys open down field.
Share 49ersWebzone