Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DeUh:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by NCommand:
As far as his injury, can you tell whether he's back to pre-injury levels from what you can see out at a non-contact practice?

"I think he is. Last year during the season I never felt he was there. And then there came a point in the offseason where he got better. He had a little cleanup done there. And it really, he turned a corner then. And his whole demeanor changed, and I think he's healthy now

This makes me question the decision to active Carradine from the NFI/PUP list last year even more.

Yeah, b/c he was activated for a game or two, didn't we lose his 5th year option as a result?

Yes.

Only first round picks are eligible for the 5th year option.

You�re 100 percent right ! Thanks for correcting

I meant that the we lost / wasted a year of Carradines contract because he appeared on the active roster last year.

I can't wait to see how Tank does. Seadderall's Jesse Williams is in a similar situation. It's going to be a battle of the redshirts when seadderall plays us.
  • thl408
Fangio basically shut down Chips offense. 0 points given up by the defense. They completely shut down PHI's screen game.
Originally posted by thl408:
Fangio basically shut down Chips offense. 0 points given up by the defense. They completely shut down PHI's screen game.

Now do you see why we say it's scheme? he scheme'd them perfectly and even made adjustments he's used to making

some of the defensive calls the past few games felt like f**k it let's just do this.

today was a turning point philly came in riding high and a high powered offense and they put up 0

this is the defense that has to show up going forward if we can shut philly down the way we did

we can shut anyone down period

let's keep it going
there's a reason we call him lord fangio
  • thl408
The 49ers front four did better getting pressure and was excellent against the run. Pretty sure PHI's injuries along the Oline had something to do with this. No run game means the playaction was not going to create the hesitation in the defense that PHI loves to exploit. It'll be interesting to see how Fangio played the defensive backfield. PHI got no deep balls completed.

The 49er OLBs were well coached to sniff out the screen plays to Sproles and McCoy. Foles couldn't even throw it to them on a few screen attempts. Bunch of fake left then throw right screens were neutralized.
Originally posted by sf_nicoya:
there's a reason we call him lord fangio

Because that's what players nicknamed him at Stanford...and he lives up to it.
[ Edited by mug0mug on Sep 28, 2014 at 6:46 PM ]
I don't care what anyone says... what he does with players is unbelievable... the defence so far has played beyond exasperation this year...
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Probably one of the most impressive games by our D in my recent memory. To hold that offensive to 0 considering our own guys being out was amazing. I know they basically had a back up oline in but I don't care. We couldn't even get off the field the last few weeks and we made plays today. Cox is a demon. Very proud of our defense. GREAT game by them. I just wish our offense could hold up their end.
Originally posted by Antix:
Probably one of the most impressive games by our D in my recent memory. To hold that offensive to 0 considering our own guys being out was amazing. I know they basically had a back up oline in but I don't care. We couldn't even get off the field the last few weeks and we made plays today. Cox is a demon. Very proud of our defense. GREAT game by them. I just wish our offense could hold up their end.

Considering that our offense and special teams S*KD, yeah, it was increadible.
Fangio calls a good game, but I still don't understand his personnel decisions.

Lynch is an animal, but it took until week four to finally get him some extended playing time. Lynch, Williams, and Justin Smith were generating the pass rush this week, it had nothing to do with Fangio's scheme. Fangio is a genius with the secondary, but why can't we have our best pass rushers on the field? Why is that so hard?

The "playbook" is not generating our pass rush this year. It has been our PERSONNEL, not our playbook. Lynch finally gets on the field, and he is giving us what we have been desperate for; but why did this take so long?

Now we need to get Carradine on the field. It is still mind-blowing that he is not. His absence from the rotation continues to hurt our pass rush.

Just because Fangio is a genius at calling plays in the secondary, doesn't address the fact that our pass rush has been generally bad this year, because he refuses to play our best pass rushers.

Originally posted by BrianGO:

Lynch is an animal, but it took until week four to finally get him some extended playing time. Lynch, Williams, and Justin Smith were generating the pass rush this week, it had nothing to do with Fangio's scheme. Fangio is a genius with the secondary, but why can't we have our best pass rushers on the field? Why is that so hard?

The "playbook" is not generating our pass rush this year. It has been our PERSONNEL, not our playbook. Lynch finally gets on the field, and he is giving us what we have been desperate for; but why did this take so long?

Now we need to get Carradine on the field. It is still mind-blowing that he is not. His absence from the rotation continues to hurt our pass rush.

Just because Fangio is a genius at calling plays in the secondary, doesn't address the fact that our pass rush has been generally bad this year, because he refuses to play our best pass rushers.

Personnel is part of scheme.

You plan what people are going to be doing what in what situations. he finally made the adjustment to put brooks on aldon's side and put lynch on brooks side and you see it worked wonders. it took him forever to do it but the point is he did it and vic isn't the type to do something and then never do it again. he is the opposite of arguing with results.
so we will see it regularly now and that's the good thing.
I wouldn't doubt that the triumvirate "woke up" more so for this game given how they know Chip from college.
No doubt our defense carried this team to a win today. Win or lose, I love when this team plays inspired D like today. Is there any reason why Tank is not getting any playing time? We need to release the beast.
Originally posted by AutographDynasty:
I wouldn't doubt that the triumvirate "woke up" more so for this game given how they know Chip from college.

hopefully this was the coffee and he treats every game like he treated this one

honestly vic sounded bored compared to the other games so far. he went on and on about how there were so many different looks he had to prepare for

is it possible that our defense wasn't playing inspired because our coach wasn't inspired?

and is it also possible that now that we know what inspired looks like from vic that we should demand this every week?

get up for all of these offenses figure out how to shut them down work them harder in practice like pat was saying they did this week. these games count.

all of them
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
Originally posted by BrianGO:

Personnel is part of scheme.

You plan what people are going to be doing what in what situations. he finally made the adjustment to put brooks on aldon's side and put lynch on brooks side and you see it worked wonders. it took him forever to do it but the point is he did it and vic isn't the type to do something and then never do it again. he is the opposite of arguing with results.
so we will see it regularly now and that's the good thing.

There is zero excuse to not have Carradine in the rotation. Again, Fangio's scheme is not generating the little pass rush we have seen, it has been the flat out ability of certain individual players making individual plays. Lynch is beating people one-on-one. Williams did it today. Justin Smith has been doing it too.

What is the worst that can happen on third and long? Is Carradine going to run the wrong way on the field? Is he going to line up off-sides? "Just go get the f**king quarterback." How about that for a play? That sounds simple enough. The game is pretty simple; especially when it comes to rushing the quarterback. TALENT gets to the quarterback, not playbooks. f**k the playbook. We need to get the quarterback.
Share 49ersWebzone