LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 260 users in the forums

Our Defensive Coordinator, Vic Fangio

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by thl408:
I think that's a very interesting take. I feel as though Fangio has a very elaborate arsenal of coverage calls that he uses. He forces the opposing QB to consider nearly every possible coverage call in the playbook, while ruling out nothing. I have seen the 49ers play cover2 zone, cover2 man, cover3, cover1, cover4. And he will pattern match to add to the complexity and variety. When an opposing QB plays the 49ers, nearly every possible coverage call is in play.

I really do like fangio as a play caller. As you sad he really does mix it up and keep the opposition guessing. In '11 I really feel like the offense namely lack if wr production really let that defense down as far as winning a title. That unit was every bit as good as Seattle defense this season and would have handled NE in the Super Bowl. 2012 on the other hand begins and ends with justin getting hurt in NE, that defense went from about 15 ppg to damn near 28 ppg down the stretch after his injury. I really think the key to success in '14 will be developing depth on the DL and getting a little more athletic in the secondary. I really do think tank,dial and Ian Williams will help with the line and aside from Culliver's stupidity I thought this draft was gonna be a heavy secondary draft anyway.
  • thl408
Originally posted by Niners816:
I think that's a very interesting take. I feel as though Fangio has a very elaborate arsenal of coverage calls that he uses. He forces the opposing QB to consider nearly every possible coverage call in the playbook, while ruling out nothing. I have seen the 49ers play cover2 zone, cover2 man, cover3, cover1, cover4. And he will pattern match to add to the complexity and variety. When an opposing QB plays the 49ers, nearly every possible coverage call is in play.

I really do like fangio as a play caller. As you sad he really does mix it up and keep the opposition guessing. In '11 I really feel like the offense namely lack if wr production really let that defense down as far as winning a title. That unit was every bit as good as Seattle defense this season and would have handled NE in the Super Bowl. 2012 on the other hand begins and ends with justin getting hurt in NE, that defense went from about 15 ppg to damn near 28 ppg down the stretch after his injury. I really think the key to success in '14 will be developing depth on the DL and getting a little more athletic in the secondary. I really do think tank,dial and Ian Williams will help with the line and aside from Culliver's stupidity I thought this draft was gonna be a heavy secondary draft anyway.

Agreed on all accounts, especially regarding depth in the Dline and the defensive backfield getting bolstered. Don't forget Lemon. I'm expecting him to take snaps away from Brooks as a situational pass rusher. With Ian back, TJE for a full season as a rotational player, Tank making a name for himself, and Lemon earning some more time, it will lessen the inevitable blow of a regressing Justin. Then this draft is rich in CBs, supposedly.
Agreed on all accounts, especially regarding depth in the Dline and the defensive backfield getting bolstered. Don't forget Lemon. I'm expecting him to take snaps away from Brooks as a situational pass rusher. With Ian back, TJE for a full season as a rotational player, Tank making a name for himself, and Lemon earning some more time, it will lessen the inevitable blow of a regressing Justin. Then this draft is rich in CBs, supposedly.

It's funny I almost caught myself falling Into the "defense is falling apart/secondary is garbage" narrative bu I took a step back and really looked at the roster. Even with the injuries and stupid crap by culliver this really is a very talented group. Also with niner dynasty week on nfl network, rewatching the 02 wild card game I was reminded of what an average at best defense and a truly terrible secondary looks like
[ Edited by Niners816 on Mar 30, 2014 at 2:21 PM ]
Originally posted by Giedi:
Don't tell me you forget Fred Dean, Gary Jhonson, Loouie Kelcher, Dwain Board, and Michael Carter. What kind of a 49er fan are you!

In 1984, we were both strong at the D Line **AND** DB positions. Middle Linebacker was about the only position we were weakest at, on that defense. 1981, while we didn't have an all star defensive line - we did have some big horses up front in Archie Reese, Lawrence Pillars. Dwain Board was, I think a rookie, and eventually would be an 11 sack guy later. And our pass rusher - Fred Dean - was the Lawrence Taylor of his day.

You keep making my point for me.

I don't see too many hall of famers there, except for Freddie, who we rented out for a couple of years at the end of his career.

It's never been our philosophy to get the pulverizers up front. The last time we went that way was the gold rush 40 years ago.

However, we've certainly had wonderful defenses over the years, as you point out in 81, we had a lifetime draft getting Lott, Wright, WIlliamson to go along with Hicks. That 1 HoFer, 1 woulda been HoFer, ecpect for the groin pull, and really good hitter player in WIlliamson. Instant credibility.

But still not the Seattle formula with Mebane, Bryant,Avril, Clemons, etc.

We could use a db draft like that this year.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Don't tell me you forget Fred Dean, Gary Jhonson, Loouie Kelcher, Dwain Board, and Michael Carter. What kind of a 49er fan are you!

In 1984, we were both strong at the D Line **AND** DB positions. Middle Linebacker was about the only position we were weakest at, on that defense. 1981, while we didn't have an all star defensive line - we did have some big horses up front in Archie Reese, Lawrence Pillars. Dwain Board was, I think a rookie, and eventually would be an 11 sack guy later. And our pass rusher - Fred Dean - was the Lawrence Taylor of his day.

You keep making my point for me.

I don't see too many hall of famers there, except for Freddie, who we rented out for a couple of years at the end of his career.

It's never been our philosophy to get the pulverizers up front. The last time we went that way was the gold rush 40 years ago.

However, we've certainly had wonderful defenses over the years, as you point out in 81, we had a lifetime draft getting Lott, Wright, WIlliamson to go along with Hicks. That 1 HoFer, 1 woulda been HoFer, ecpect for the groin pull, and really good hitter player in WIlliamson. Instant credibility.

But still not the Seattle formula with Mebane, Bryant,Avril, Clemons, etc.

We could use a db draft like that this year.

We've spent our first round picks 2 of the last 3 years on defense. I think we'll definitely try and add quality players in the draft, possibly a starting CB, but, I would also like to see us use some of our early round picks on a #2 TE because we use that formation SO much and when it clicks it's a very very tough matchup for opposing defenses, as well as a better interior O-lineman as I don't have much confidence in Joe Looney from what I've seen in pre-season. Our offense was what has held us back from a championship 2 out of the last 3 years, not our defense.
Sure. That's a fair statement. Do you think we need an upgrade on McDonald?
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
If Harbaugh tells Kyle Williams to stay away from that slippery ball on that slippery day, 49ers had a good chance of beating Patriots... defense done good against Giants in that game.

If Roman let's Gore punch it in against Ravens instead of 4 throws to Crabs, then 49ers would've won and Fangio isn't getting any criticism.

If Kap doesn't (single handedly) turn the ball over in the final minute(s) against CAWKS, we had a solid chance of scoring a TD... our D was good enough to win.

If the 13th man wasn't hating on 49ers, we woulda/could/shoulda...

Fangio is good (real good), but there's still room for a little improvement.
[ Edited by LVJay on Mar 30, 2014 at 6:56 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LVJay:

• LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:

Why he had Rogers (coming off his injury) in the NFCC against the CAWKS instead of Cox who was playing well still befuddles me
I'd like to see Fangio use Willis and Bowman (when healthy) more on blitzes. Those guys are absolutely vicious shooting the A and B gaps.

• LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SofaKing:
I'd like to see Fangio use Willis and Bowman (when healthy) more on blitzes. Those guys are absolutely vicious shooting the A and B gaps.

+1!!
  • buck
  • Veteran

+1!!

If I remember correctly, he sent them more last year than he did in the previous two years.

Fortifying the defensive backfield will, or should, augment his willingness to send them on blitzes.

But, I do not want to see our defense become blitz happy.

Blitzing can be high-risk, high-reward, but it can also be high-risk, no reward (or whatever the opposite of reward is. High-risk, high loss ??)
[ Edited by buck on Mar 30, 2014 at 9:27 PM ]
  • thl408

+1!!

If I remember correctly, he sent them more last year than he did in the previous two years.

Fortifying the defensive backfield will, or should, augment his willingness to send them on blitzes.

Blitzing can be high-risk, high-reward, but it can also be high-risk, no reward (or whatever the opposite of reward is. High-risk, high loss ??)

Hah, buck! You got it with high risk, high loss. I'm with you on that. Perhaps if the opposing offense has Oline issues, turn up the blitz pressure frequency and step out of the norm. For the most part, if pressure can come with 4, then just sprinkle in a blitz here and there.

One of the benefits of the 3-4 is unpredictability with where pressure will come from - who's rushing the QB, who's not. That's not the case with the 49ers.

+1!!

Yes, Yes and Yes! He did but could do more! Bowman in particulary surprised me with the speed of his pass rush. He said Willis was behind as a pass rusher when he took over the defense so perhaps that's why he did so little blitzing originally?
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

+1!!

Yes, Yes and Yes! He did but could do more! Bowman in particulary surprised me with the speed of his pass rush. He said Willis was behind as a pass rusher when he took over the defense so perhaps that's why he did so little blitzing originally?

The timely use of conceived, effective blitzes should help can confound the opposing offense.

Share 49ersWebzone