LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 401 users in the forums

Cool Joe Montana Stat

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Dshearn:
yea its two sided....Joe threw against defenses built to stop the run....

Are you frickin kidding me?

Joe threw against the likes of Darrel Green who gave Jerry Rice fits, and Deon Sanders. He played against the historically great Bears, Giants, and Cowboys defenses just to mention a few. Try being all world with Lawrence Taylor in your face every single stinking play.

First there was Joe Montana, then there was God, then there was Steve Young.

Montana would destroy these defenses they have today.
Originally posted by 49erWay:

Joe threw against the likes of Darrel Green who gave Jerry Rice fits, and Deon Sanders. He played against the historically great Bears, Giants, and Cowboys defenses just to mention a few. Try being all world with Lawrence Taylor in your face every single stinking play.

Thank you. Yeah, Montana played during an era known for great defenses and not just at stopping the run.
Originally posted by 49erWay:

mind blowing

well that's just dumb.

the counter argument can be made that the rules benefit the offense to throw it more and how QBs are protected in todays NFL.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

well that's just dumb.

the counter argument can be made that the rules benefit the offense to throw it more and how QBs are protected in todays NFL.

Plus Montana had to beat the likes of Elway, Marino, Jim Kelly, Aikman, Farve, and others. Those were offenses built to mainly run? Yeah they ran alright, with multiple receivers 40 yards down field every other play and the ball in the air constantly.

I'm a little embarrassed some of our fans don't truly understand or appreciate what and who got them here. Youth gets a pass for a while though.

Never.....ever.....try to cheapen Joe Montana.
Coolest Montana stat: the all-time unbeatable Super Bowl QB rating of 127.8 with 11 TD's and ZERO interceptions. Nobody has come up bigger in the biggest game.
your statement is truly laughable. if this is true, how did R. Craig receive for 1000yds and RUN for 1000yds in a season. just admit that the Niners were that good at the time. and if you are a Niners fan, which I doubt, you'll remember the Lambs, when they were in LA, had years where they would consistently stop the Niners passing game w/Montana (albeit, only in San Francisco). and let's not forget Joe and the Niners scoring very little whenever they played the NY Gnats. really hope your statement is sarcastic in it's meaning.
Greatest Montana attribute has and always will be his clutch abilities.....

Period, end of story.

I always said if you had a dominant team (both sides of the ball), Montana wouldn't be the #1 choice for a dominant regular season QB performance. Young, Marino, and a slew of others were better.

But win important games when they mattered, even in unlikely scenarios? Playoffs, especially?

Gotta go with Joe.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Coolest Montana stat: the all-time unbeatable Super Bowl QB rating of 127.8 with 11 TD's and ZERO interceptions. Nobody has come up bigger in the biggest game.

Originally posted by blizzuntz:

Bingo. Anyone who was there remembers throws with seconds left during the season to win games where it was like magic. It was as if Joe was bored until there was something on the line sometimes. Way down field back shoulder along the sidelines with the receiver draped and in a way that it just got there right as the receiver turned his head. Receivers used to talk about it publically, John Madden would laugh and say "only Joe Montana completes that pass." If there was one second left on the clock and we had the ball EVERYONE knew this thing is not over.

During that epic battle Madden said something like "Joe Montana and Lawrence Taylor are the only players to ever play who can dominate a game by themselves."

When he hit that pass with just seconds left to Rice against the Giants in the playoffs after a brutal almost no scoring war with LT all over him all night and Rice went screaming down the sidelines to win it I will never forget my mother who was bed ridden with cancer bouncing out of her bed, cheese puffs flying, iced tea flying, screaming, hands up, throwing stuff. And she was a nurse lol!

It was the same thing on everyone's face in the room as the ball was almost there, that mouth wide open eyes popping out Oh My God here it comes moment. You could feel it happening before Rice even caught it.

Only Joe Montana any day and I don't care what the stats are.
[ Edited by WeAreLegend on Jun 30, 2013 at 8:14 PM ]
Originally posted by blizzuntz:

Boom

/Thread
Originally posted by WeAreLegend:
Bingo. Anyone who was there remembers throws with seconds left during the season to win games where it was like magic. It was as if Joe was bored until there was something on the line sometimes. Way down field back shoulder along the sidelines with the receiver draped and in a way that it just got there right as the receiver turned his head. Receivers used to talk about it publically, John Madden would laugh and say "only Joe Montana completes that pass." If there was one second left on the clock and we had the ball EVERYONE knew this thing is not over.

During that epic battle Madden said something like "Joe Montana and Lawrence Taylor are the only players to ever play who can dominate a game by themselves."

When he hit that pass with just seconds left to Rice against the Giants in the playoffs after a brutal almost no scoring war with LT all over him all night and Rice went screaming down the sidelines to win it I will never forget my mother who was bed ridden with cancer bouncing out of her bed, cheese puffs flying, iced tea flying, screaming, hands up, throwing stuff. And she was a nurse lol!

It was the same thing on everyone's face in the room as the ball was almost there, that mouth wide open eyes popping out Oh My God here it comes moment. You could feel it happening before Rice even caught it.

Only Joe Montana any day and I don't care what the stats are.

I'm pretty sure the only Montana to Rice to beat Giants in final seconds was the '88 regular season game at Giants Stadium. That was the 78 yarder down the right sideline, perfectly thrown and the two defenders basically ran into each other because of it.

Rice never scored a playoff TD against the Giants....'85, '86, and '90.
Ok right, regular season, felt like playoffs. Week 2 1988. Niners-Giants was always epic then no matter the day. Madden was treating it like the NFC championship as was Pat Summerall, and so was everyone else in the country.
[ Edited by WeAreLegend on Jun 30, 2013 at 10:46 PM ]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQb2m66x8Ck&feature=endscreen

Yeah, Joe had a weak arm and weak defenses playing the run......... during the greatest defenses of all time going against Montana, Marino, Elway, Simms, Kelly, Everett, Aikman, Fouts, Kreig, Kosar, even Bradshaw only played the run "back then." The great bears defense of 1982-1988...The great Giants defenses that simply shut everything down with Lawrence Taylor for 6 years.

Deon Sanders anyone? Rice was greatly held in check by the Giants in multiple playoff games even with the greatest quarterback of all time because the defenses were "run oriented?" Really?

So Joe Montana sucks all of a sudden because he had it so easy?

Please, give the world a break with your youthful exuberance. Study where you come from.

Is the guy who made that post a usual loud mouthed Seahawk fan?

Makes you wonder.
Share 49ersWebzone