There are 89 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Blessed to be in the NFC West?

My Oh My, the times have changed. Once the NFC West was compiled with teams so lousy that a 9-7 record would almost guarantee a play-off birth. Then came the Harbaalke era and to the unsuspecting eye the Niners seemed poised to easily dominate the division for years to come. What a happy ten years we had guaranteed! But then Seattle started to get better, then they got even better, a year later they are an absolute force.

St. Louis decides to join the party. They pull Jeff Fisher starting a growth pattern that can only be describes as strong and consistent. To add to that growth, a plethora of First round ammunition to compliment their young nucleus (I will say it seems the 49ers lucked out they chose to stick with S. Bradford over taking RG3 and trading Bradford for a first). Not to mention they are Niner killers, a team for some reason the 49ers simply struggle to match up with.

Then there is the lowly Cardinals, like a baby brother trying to catch his fully developed siblings. While they are inferior, they are clearly growing stronger, and they already have a strong defense which is half the battle in the NFL.

Our Get into Playoffs Free Card has been stripped, instead replaced with a guarantee that we will have to fight for our life every inch of the way, every year. Instead of 2 tough division games a year we will have 4-6. And while it seems all the seperation we had has been ripped away from us. I have never been more excited! The easy route while satisfying with its guarantees doesn't fuel the drug that we are hooked on. True, a 10-6 season where we didn't we make the playoffs when we are a 12-4 team talent wise would be devastating to swallow. There is nothing like earning it, having that sick hope feeling in gut that hours before kickoff from week 2-17.

While some will take this turn of division fortune as a tragedy. To those like me who like their football chalked full of adrenaline, it is simply a blessing in disguise.
Your thoughts?
[ Edited by HarboutTHAT on Jun 9, 2013 at 9:31 PM ]
Niners 11-5
Hawks 10-6
Rams 7-9
Cards 5-11
I love the fact that the NFC West is considered one of the toughest if not THE toughest division in the NFL. No more of that "yeah, but they play in the NFC West." Now, it's more like "yeah, but they play in the NFC East." Although, I do think the NFC West was actually underestimated back in the day. During the last Niners golden age, the Niners actually had a better winning percentage out of division than in it. The Rams and Saints, especially, used to play them hard. The Saints had a couple of years where they sent all four starting linebackers to the pro bowl. Part of the reason the NFC West had bad records is that they had to play some of those great Niner teams twice a season.
Could have three playoff teams from the NFC West this year. Who would have guessed after the 2010 season that it would even be possible?
It's a blessing in that we'll be seriously battle tested come playoff time. When I look at the past few SB winners, they didn't necessarily have the best regular season records, but they played in tough divisions. For that reason, I don't care how many games we win as long as it's enough to make the postseason.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Jun 9, 2013 at 8:48 PM ]
Originally posted by SofaKing:
It's a blessing in that we'll be seriously battle tested come playoff time. When I look at the past few SB winners, they didn't necessarily have the best regular season records, but they played in tough divisions. For that reason, I don't care how many games we win as long as it's enough to make the postseason.

Very good point, while it also maybe harder to keep are team totally healthy due to all the hard hitting defenses we must face. Our teams "tough" mentality has the chance to be elite...
[ Edited by HarboutTHAT on Jun 9, 2013 at 9:50 PM ]
one time I posted a spam sammich and rubber made me eat it
[ Edited by Rubberneck36 on Jun 10, 2013 at 9:16 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 24,836
It is nice to win the division any way we can get it but two years we won the division and people said it was only because it was so bad. Last year it was a bit more pleasing, albeit tougher, to win the division due to the fact it was a better division and it will be this year I think,. for some reason we have to get over this mental block of playing poorly against the rams
I want every team in the division to be terrible....I could careless if ppl say you won a weak division....nobody says that bout the Pats....they just appreciate the chips
[ Edited by lamontb on Jun 10, 2013 at 2:41 PM ]
  • Garcia
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 26,835
lol @ the name HarboutTHAT
Originally posted by Garcia:
lol @ the name HarboutTHAT

Founded by the Germans in 1904, they scribed HarboutThat, which of course in German means Seahawks are V@ginas.
Originally posted by kevin758:
one time I posted a spam sammich and rubber made me eat it

!
Originally posted by HarboutTHAT:
My Oh My, the times have changed. Once the NFC West was compiled with teams so lousy that a 9-7 record would almost guarantee a play-off birth. Then came the Harbaalke era and to the unsuspecting eye the Niners seemed poised to easily dominate the division for years to come. What a happy ten years we had guaranteed! But then Seattle started to get better, then they got even better, a year later they are an absolute force.

St. Louis decides to join the party. They pull Jeff Fisher starting a growth pattern that can only be describes as strong and consistent. To add to that growth, a plethora of First round ammunition to compliment their young nucleus (I will say it seems the 49ers lucked out they chose to stick with S. Bradford over taking RG3 and trading Bradford for a first). Not to mention they are Niner killers, a team for some reason the 49ers simply struggle to match up with.

Then there is the lowly Cardinals, like a baby brother trying to catch his fully developed siblings. While they are inferior, they are clearly growing stronger, and they already have a strong defense which is half the battle in the NFL.

Our Get into Playoffs Free Card has been stripped, instead replaced with a guarantee that we will have to fight for our life every inch of the way, every year. Instead of 2 tough division games a year we will have 4-6. And while it seems all the seperation we had has been ripped away from us. I have never been more excited! The easy route while satisfying with its guarantees doesn't fuel the drug that we are hooked on. True, a 10-6 season where we didn't we make the playoffs when we are a 12-4 team talent wise would be devastating to swallow. There is nothing like earning it, having that sick hope feeling in gut that hours before kickoff from week 2-17.

While some will take this turn of division fortune as a tragedy. To those like me who like their football chalked full of adrenaline, it is simply a blessing in disguise.
Your thoughts?

Nothing has been ripped away from us. We are the best team in not only the division, but the entire league. Seattle has had one good season out of nowhere. Remember when we did that and everyone thought it was a fluke? Why does Seattle not get the same treatment? As for the Rams being "Niner Killers..." uhh, what? How do you figure? If not for David Akers being the worst kicker in the NFL and blowing two easy kicks, the Rams lose both games to us. And the Cardinals just suck, plain and simple.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Nothing has been ripped away from us. We are the best team in not only the division, but the entire league. Seattle has had one good season out of nowhere. Remember when we did that and everyone thought it was a fluke? Why does Seattle not get the same treatment? As for the Rams being "Niner Killers..." uhh, what? How do you figure? If not for David Akers being the worst kicker in the NFL and blowing two easy kicks, the Rams lose both games to us. And the Cardinals just suck, plain and simple.

I feel you have a distorted view of how good the NFC West is gonna be in the next 1-3 years, and Arizona is not gonna be terrible, esp if their D stays strong and Palmer gives them anything close to what Warner did... Plus they have and offensive guru for a HC... Instead of Ken Whis, who IMO was never clearly a QB guru like Harbaugh, Arians...

Also, there were plays St. Louis could have made to ice those games as well, just cuz our Kicker had a chance doesn't mean we handled them, we were lucky it came down to the wire.
[ Edited by HarboutTHAT on Jun 11, 2013 at 12:36 PM ]
I know Seattle has been all the talk this offseason and as much as I'm looking forward to those games, I am just as eagerly waiting that Thursday night matchup against the Rams. PAYBACK!! I hope Kaep puts 40 on those b***hes! My boss is a Rams fan so yeah I'm still bitter about the fake punts!
[ Edited by NinerG94 on Jun 11, 2013 at 12:50 PM ]