There are 194 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

ST aces

It seems the Niners are making a concerted effort to shore up their STs this year. Which of these games are going to be able to hang on and who is vulnerable?

Osgood - new signing
Moody - the inexpensive rookie
Skuta - free agent signing
Ventrone - another recent signing
Brock - one of the better ST guys last year
Moore - early signing that may already be in trouble
Dixon - his versatility and ST play is the only thing that saved him last year
KW - he might even be on the list if James can return kicks
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 26,476
moore will stay and will contribute as a wide out, dixon will stay and is a good short yardage back,,, in regards to kyle williams, not sure why so many are so eager to dump him. in case you have not noticed, we have vacancys at the wide out spot and kyle can more than take that spot, plus you forget we have NO ONE to return punts, kyle can do it, he has done it before and last year was better than ginn. we already know james and hunter can return kicks but who will return punts if the season started today and you cut kyle? hmmm?
if you keep moore, how many wr's do you have on the roster?

boldin
crabs
manningham
patton
williams
jenkins
moore

yes, crabtree won't come back til late in the season, but i doubt they will hold 7 wr's on the roster.
I'm sure they could put manningham and crabs on PUP to start the season. Not sure what the rules are about that though.
Originally posted by ninergold:
if you keep moore, how many wr's do you have on the roster?

boldin
crabs
manningham
patton
williams
jenkins
moore

yes, crabtree won't come back til late in the season, but i doubt they will hold 7 wr's on the roster.


Originally posted by niners9:
I'm sure they could put manningham and crabs on PUP to start the season. Not sure what the rules are about that though.

This is the answer. Crabs would go on the PUP to open up a roster space. f**k, he hella signed special teams aces.
Just a guess, but I think Crabtree will go on IR and miss the entire season. I think they'll wait until late in the pre-season to do it so that they can get a better feel for what they have with their receiving corps, but I think one or two of the new guys is going to emerge and that Boldin will prove to be a viable replacement for Crabtree as the prime possession receiver (he probably already has in the first set of OTA's.) Because, if you rush Crabtree back for the end of the season, it's not like he steps right in and has instant chemistry with Kaepernick again. By that time, Kaepernick has gotten used to throwing to a whole bunch of other players.

Plus, when I look at that list and don't see Lockette on it, I'm dubious. Lockette and Kaepernick are like brothers. They're working on plays together every day all day. They're hanging out together. I'll be surprised if he doesn't catch on. And, if they put Crabtree on IR, they can keep all those guys plus Lockette.
Moody – ST mainstay
Skuta - ST mainstay
Brock - ST mainstay
KW - ST mainstay

Dixon – likely to make team, unless they prefer Hampton
Ventrone - cut
Moore - cut
Osgood - cut
They brought in these vets (who will likely be cut) to create competition as well as to motive and train the younger guys. But if there are injuries they will have these veteran guys available to sign later.
[ Edited by maxsmart on Jun 9, 2013 at 12:07 PM ]
Originally posted by maxsmart:
Moody – ST mainstay
Skuta - ST mainstay
Brock - ST mainstay
KW - ST mainstay

Dixon – likely to make team, unless they prefer Hampton
Ventrone - cut
Moore - cut
Osgood - cut
They brought in these vets (who will likely be cut) to create competition as well as to motive and train the younger guys. But if there are injuries they will have these veteran guys available to sign later.

I doubt Ventrone gets cut, he signed a 2yr deal, while no guarantees, he is a solid ST Ace. I can see him taking either Robinson or Spillman's job.

My feelings are Moore or Osgood make the team for ST purposes.
Not sure but I am sure ST will be much better.
Hopefully Phil Dawson can get the kickoffs up in the air, no more line drives.
I forgot about Lockette and Spillman. I think they know Spillman is not destined to be a quality starter now, but is certainly one of their better ST players.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
I doubt Ventrone gets cut, he signed a 2yr deal, while no guarantees, he is a solid ST Ace. I can see him taking either Robinson or Spillman's job.

My feelings are Moore or Osgood make the team for ST purposes.


Yup ..I agree