LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 406 users in the forums

Colt McCoy

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Antix
  • Veteran
I believe under Harbaugh, Colt could win us a couple games if necessary. He's pretty much Alex Smith. He gets to come to San Fran, disappear and learn. He'll be a good draft pick for us in a year or two.

We are now the QB factory.
Very happy Colt is looking good. We needed a good backup to replace Smith.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Very happy Colt is looking good. We needed a good backup to replace Smith.

I agree with this. Also to note, Colt, was thrown in a bad situation in CLE similar to Alex here. Colt had to deal with injuries, terrible Oline and little support or confidence in him.

Yet, he threw 21 TD's to 20 INTs. He's only 27. I think he can easily replace Alex Smith.
Smith and McCoy have very similar games. Their 40, 20 and 10 yard dash times are almost identical. Smith is three inches taller, but McCoy is younger. It could be a wash. We know Smith has become a pretty clutch performer. We can hope McCoy is as good.
I think a lot of people are going to be suprised come preseason. I dont think the offense slows down much at all between Kap and Mccoy. You may not see tight spiralled 60 yd bombs from Mccoy, but what you will see is methodical defense degrading marches down the field for points.
I don't expect to be surprised by Colt McCoy's effectiveness. I meant the comparison of him to Alex Smith as a compliment.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
I don't expect to be surprised by Colt McCoy's effectiveness. I meant the comparison of him to Alex Smith as a compliment.

I think that's what Baalke looks for: guys that would have excelled if they landed in the right spot, getting a second chance with Niners and succeeding...

Whitner
Rogers
Dorsey
McCoy
Alex Smith (from the old regime to the new regime)

Gonna be in Hall of Fame.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
That injury prone douchebag from Texas was just awful. If Kap goes down we done this season.

• boast
  • Hella Fame
the deer in the headlights look is never good from a non-rookie QB. now he's injured. gonna get cut.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by boast:
the deer in the headlights look is never good from a non-rookie QB. now he's injured. gonna get cut.

I hope so I think Tolzien has a better arm and better pocket presence.
  • Jiks
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by boast:

I hope so I think Tolzien has a better arm and better pocket presence.

His footwork was impressive as well.
  • Hiko
  • Veteran
My my, how the tone of this thread changed once people actually watched him play.

There's no doubt the Browns are bad, but that doesn't mean that the QB's that washed out of there weren't also bad on their own merits (or lack thereof).

I remember the Cardinals spouting how Derek Anderson was gonna win them a SB now that he was out of "that hole", yet he somehow still sucked in Arizona. And he actually had a good year in the NFL once.

Brady Quinn, Charlie Frye, Tim Couch, Kelly Holcomb, Luke McCown... I don't know why anyone would be excited about picking up a guy the freakin' Browns had decided wasn't good enough to play for them.
Originally posted by Hiko:
My my, how the tone of this thread changed once people actually watched him play.

There's no doubt the Browns are bad, but that doesn't mean that the QB's that washed out of there weren't also bad on their own merits (or lack thereof).

I remember the Cardinals spouting how Derek Anderson was gonna win them a SB now that he was out of "that hole", yet he somehow still sucked in Arizona. And he actually had a good year in the NFL once.

Brady Quinn, Charlie Frye, Tim Couch, Kelly Holcomb, Luke McCown... I don't know why anyone would be excited about picking up a guy the freakin' Browns had decided wasn't good enough to play for them.

Well, 2 years ago I don't think anyone would have believed Alex Smith could get two possibly three 2nd round draft picks for his services.

The environment, team, OC, QB coaches, etc. have to be pretty good before you can legitimately assess players as good/bad because they underperformed there.

More telling is Matt Flynn being a good performer in Green Bay and not seeing much success once he left. His passer rating and production as a backup were pretty up there. Went to Seattle and lost out to Wilson who while obviously better now, I wonder how much better he was THEN....

What are the reports on Flynn in Oakland? I heard they weren't good?

Also, think about QBs that left Philly and how they tended to suck in their new homes (McNabb in DC, Kolb in AZ).

That's another reason why Reid wanting Smith was compelling....normally he's the one making out on the QB deal.
Harbaugh must have seen enough on McCoy to deem him a worthy backup just like he saw enough of Smith to at least make him the interim QB in SF.

I'd wait until McCoy plays a preseason game with the 1s.....
[ Edited by JTsBiggestFan on Aug 14, 2013 at 9:28 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone