There are 50 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Colt McCoy

What happened to Tolzien? I haven't heard/read anything about him..any news?
Welcome. Personally I do not have an opinion on Colt, I would like to see him take some snaps first.
Originally posted by verb1der:
He wont be as good of a back up as Alex Smith, but I'll take him. Seems like a smart kid with a lot of potential, and I think Harbaugh will maximize his talent!
You won't know that unless he gets on the field. It is because of JH organizing the talent around him so that Alex didn't have to carry the team that he succeeded. Colt is similar to Alex when he was at the Browns. Now he has talent and coaches. He is not as shell shocked as Alex was and doesn't have the pressure of being a number 1 overall. Plus he came from a bigger program that had tougher competition, unlike Alex he is not shell shocked to the point that he isn't afraid to pull the trigger deep.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
McCoy - 58.3% 6.25 yd/att
Smith (circa 2011) - 57.1% 6.20 yd/att

Very similar

However, Colt's coaching and talent around him were not as good from top to bottom. So those numbers should be looked at with a grain of salt. Unless you compare it with his pre-JH days. I think Colt's mindset is not as damaged as Alex was, where he was protect the ball, protect the ball and became to obsessed with it that it became a slight detriment.
Originally posted by Bali-Niner:

Doesnt matter, he wont be around by the time the season starts.
[ Edited by xela510 on Jun 6, 2013 at 12:06 AM ]
Originally posted by jesserdumas2:
I think the competition with Tolzein may be closer than we are making it. By picking up McCoy, the team signaled they aren't looking for someone to come and run the Kapernick offense. The backup, whoever he is, will be running the Alex Smith offense.

If you recall, Tolzein looked pretty good in that offense last preaseason, as good or better than our current starter at times. McCoy is a good ball player in my opinion, limited by his physical abilities, but has a good football mind and a serious competition in him. But he also has to learn a new offense over one training camp whereas Tolzein (am I spelling this right?)is going into his 3rd season with the team and 2nd full training camp.

I still like McCoy to win out the #2 job, but I think there is some legit competition for the job.

I disagree, Colt is more similar to Kaep than Tolz is when coming out of college (style of play). Although you have a point that we don't know cause we are not there and don't see what the coaches see (I said this about Kaep when everyone was raving about giving Tolz the nod over him). However, I will say that Tolz has never seen the field and that judging Tolz body of work against 3rd and 4th stringers is laughable especially against Kaep who was going against 1st and 2nd stringers and had more on his plate (plays) than Tolz had to digest. Like varsity and juior varsity. Colt has seen the field, and has experience, he can run the pistol and read option physically better based on college ball, but of course will never be Kaep (who can?). I actually think BJ will give Tolz a run simply cause of athletic aibility. The niner staff loves players who are not 1 or 1A to be versitile. He presents more of a problem if he made the team and came in with Kaep in there. Is he running the ball or halfback option who passes the ball or receiving? Do you ignore him? Can't do that with Tolz.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Ok, I think we agree... Either way, having Harbaugh for a year or two will do wonders for his career. Maybe we can end up trading him for another 2 seconds

Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Im hoping he is our backup for only this year, would love to get Jake Locker next season if the Titans dub him "bust"

Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
exactly, Locker has the ability to be twice as good as McCoy

Locker is a better physical runner, colt a better and smarter passer. I don't ever see Locker getting better as a passer. Not by much, he has an arm, but his head is not there. A lot depends if he (colt) pans out this year and signs a cheap two year extension, I would rather do that, then when he shows enough under the niners, trade him like the smart ones do before the contract expires. There is a team on the look out for the next QB that will stablize them like the chiefs did, so that they can draft someone to mold and not rush him.
Harbaugh and Baalke are all about competition at every spot. The Niners have legitimate qb competition for the back up spot.

1. CK7- finaly a starter where there is no question mark. Kaepernick is the man, if anyone on the zone disagrees, they are crazy. He is the cemented in number 1, the first one since Steve Young left.

2. Back up- Colt McCoy Vs. Tolzien vs BJ Daniels. My instinct tells me BJ will not be the primary back up, he will be more of a slash developmental player. He will either win the #3 roll and be inactive on Sunday, or be on the PS, and I think no team would claim him off the PS.

3. McCoy and Tolzien, both one year left on present deals. I think if both prove relatively equal, leverage that and have Baalke offer a 5 year 5 million dollar contract, basically back up money to be the LT answer at back up qb. If one of them takes the $$ they are on the roster the next 5 years. If they balk, pick whichever one is better and let BJ work his way to becoming the number 2.
Originally posted by 9erred:
Harbaugh and Baalke are all about competition at every spot. The Niners have legitimate qb competition for the back up spot.

1. CK7- finaly a starter where there is no question mark. Kaepernick is the man, if anyone on the zone disagrees, they are crazy. He is the cemented in number 1, the first one since Steve Young left.

2. Back up- Colt McCoy Vs. Tolzien vs BJ Daniels. My instinct tells me BJ will not be the primary back up, he will be more of a slash developmental player. He will either win the #3 roll and be inactive on Sunday, or be on the PS, and I think no team would claim him off the PS.

3. McCoy and Tolzien, both one year left on present deals. I think if both prove relatively equal, leverage that and have Baalke offer a 5 year 5 million dollar contract, basically back up money to be the LT answer at back up qb. If one of them takes the $$ they are on the roster the next 5 years. If they balk, pick whichever one is better and let BJ work his way to becoming the number 2.

Jeff Garcia gets no love? LOL.
Colt + Harbaugh = Success... just wait after tearing it up in the preseason Colt will get traded for another 1st or 2nd round pick in the following year. Our offense is perfect for him.
[ Edited by 5280High on Jun 6, 2013 at 1:42 PM ]
Strong legs. Clearly doesn't skip leg day.
Originally posted by xela510:
Originally posted by Bali-Niner:

Doesnt matter, he wont be around by the time the season starts.

I agree!!
Originally posted by adamcarrillo85:
Whoever leaves Cleveland wins Championships Ask LeBron James

And the Baltimore Ravens.
Originally posted by WildBill:
Originally posted by jesserdumas2:
I think the competition with Tolzein may be closer than we are making it. By picking up McCoy, the team signaled they aren't looking for someone to come and run the Kapernick offense. The backup, whoever he is, will be running the Alex Smith offense.

If you recall, Tolzein looked pretty good in that offense last preaseason, as good or better than our current starter at times. McCoy is a good ball player in my opinion, limited by his physical abilities, but has a good football mind and a serious competition in him. But he also has to learn a new offense over one training camp whereas Tolzein (am I spelling this right?)is going into his 3rd season with the team and 2nd full training camp.

I still like McCoy to win out the #2 job, but I think there is some legit competition for the job.

I disagree, Colt is more similar to Kaep than Tolz is when coming out of college (style of play). Although you have a point that we don't know cause we are not there and don't see what the coaches see (I said this about Kaep when everyone was raving about giving Tolz the nod over him). However, I will say that Tolz has never seen the field and that judging Tolz body of work against 3rd and 4th stringers is laughable especially against Kaep who was going against 1st and 2nd stringers and had more on his plate (plays) than Tolz had to digest. Like varsity and juior varsity. Colt has seen the field, and has experience, he can run the pistol and read option physically better based on college ball, but of course will never be Kaep (who can?). I actually think BJ will give Tolz a run simply cause of athletic aibility. The niner staff loves players who are not 1 or 1A to be versitile. He presents more of a problem if he made the team and came in with Kaep in there. Is he running the ball or halfback option who passes the ball or receiving? Do you ignore him? Can't do that with Tolz.

Great post.

The Niners are not going to create two different offenses for their primary and back-up QBs. Colt can run the "Kaepernick" offense. He has all the tools. They're just not as sharp as Kaepernick's. That's why he's the back up. Tolzien is even further removed from having Kaepernick-type skills, so I would expect that there isn't even a legitimate competition between those two. BJ, like Colt, is in the Kaepernick mold. My guess is that he's more athletic than, but not nearly as polished as, Colt. So I expect he'll be on the bubble.

Tolzien appears to be a bit of a misfit. He appears to be real intelligent, so he is excellent at playing opposing QBs for the defense to practice against, but he's ill suite to palying Kaepernick. A bit of a conundrum on what to do.

It'll be interesting to see if the Niners feel that a "practice" qb is worth a spot on the 53 man squad. I would guess that McCoy can take on the practice role. Can the Niners get value in trade for Tolzien if Daniels is good enough to play #3?
[ Edited by Rsrkshn on Jun 7, 2013 at 10:38 AM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
About as similar a QB to Alex as they could have hoped to get. Alex has better arm strength and slightly better mobility, McCoy has better accuracy and represents more of a natural leader....field general.

Yes. However, I see them as have very different psychological make-ups. That's an essential component that people just seem to ignore in evaluating and comparing QBs.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by adamcarrillo85:
Whoever leaves Cleveland wins Championships Ask LeBron James

And the Baltimore Ravens.

An astute observation!