LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 235 users in the forums

Parys Haralson and LB depth

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jesserdumas2:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Does he just have one year left on his contract?

Hell, if he comes back strong we might be able to trade him and keep the younger guys to develop.

I think he was done with his previous contract and just signed a one-year low-dollar deal. I may be wrong on that.

This is the last season of his contract. He took a paycut to stay.
Originally posted by Imfasterthanur:
I love talking about depth, as opposed to glaring needs.

Thank you, Balke; Thank you, Harbaugh.

My faith in football has been restored these past 2.5 years

Yes !!
I think the addition of Corey Lemonier will make more impact on our pass rush but having a healthy Haralson back is certainly good to have for depth.
Last year--Haralson, Johnson, Fleming all injured for parts or all of the year. No there are a couple of other intriguing guys and the niners will likely lose good players at this position. Any chance of a trade? Haralson is the only one who has any playing time to speak of, but he might not gain much of a draft pick in exchange.

Will be fun to watch this position during TC.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Parys is playing for his last shot at a big contract this year. He's going to play as hard as he can to squeeze the most money out of what will probably be his last contract in the NFL. I'm happy to have him back as a veteran backup who can be a solid starter if needed.
Originally posted by DVDA:
Parys is playing for his last shot at a big contract this year. He's going to play as hard as he can to squeeze the most money out of what will probably be his last contract in the NFL. I'm happy to have him back as a veteran backup who can be a solid starter if needed.

29? Same age as Brooks and VD. May have two more contracts ahead of him, as I doubt Baalke would give him much of a multi-year deal.
I think not having Haralson in there to spell Smith last season made a huge difference at the end of the season. This season, he's back and we also may have Lemonier as a factor. If Fangio can bring himself to spelling Justin Smith this season, I see great possibilities for the front seven going all the way into the playoffs.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
I think not having Haralson in there to spell Smith last season made a huge difference at the end of the season. This season, he's back and we also may have Lemonier as a factor. If Fangio can bring himself to spelling Justin Smith this season, I see great possibilities for the front seven going all the way into the playoffs.

Haralson is not a de like Smith is, if he was gonna spell anyone last year it would've been aldon. We now have tank who can come in and sub for Justin, what I wanna see is come passing downs is aldon and lemonier as the main pass rushers with Justin and tank as the de with Dorsey inside, now that's some pass rush
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Haralson is not a de like Smith is, if he was gonna spell anyone last year it would've been aldon. We now have tank who can come in and sub for Justin, what I wanna see is come passing downs is aldon and lemonier as the main pass rushers with Justin and tank as the de with Dorsey inside, now that's some pass rush

Right. I meant to spell Aldon. And yes, I'm hoping Tank spells Justin. And, I'm also hoping Dial steps up and is in there for the rotation. Of course this all assumes that Fangio will loosen his sphincter about his reluctance to rotate on the d-line. If you read between the lines on Baalke's "it's a question of philosophy" remark, it looks to me like the team would like Fangio to rotate more often.
It's well-documented that one of the demises of the defense late in the season was so many starters having outrageous snap totals, and the players wearing down accordingly. Having a competent linebacker like Haralson in the rotation will boost our run defense, and will additionally help Aldon take some snaps off so he is better-rested for passing downs.

Maybe Fangio is used to College, where they play less, practice less and the players are very young and fresh. In the NFL, you have guys that are half way to retirement. You can't run them like you did college guys.

Just a thought.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Jun 8, 2013 at 2:48 PM ]
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Maybe Fangio is used to College, where they play less, practice less and the players are very young and fresh. In the NFL, you have guys that are half way to retirement. You can't run them like you did college guys.

Just a thought.

That's a good possibility. Because the last time he was in the pros, I think he was running a linebacking corps. LB's are more likely to get breathers based on formation. My guess is that he'll get more into rotating this year mainly because he'll have more options. There is a big tradition of that around here. George Seifert, after all, was one of the original innovators of that approach.
Originally posted by GNielsen:

Just a thought.

That's a good possibility. Because the last time he was in the pros, I think he was running a linebacking corps. LB's are more likely to get breathers based on formation. My guess is that he'll get more into rotating this year mainly because he'll have more options. There is a big tradition of that around here. George Seifert, after all, was one of the original innovators of that approach.

Yeah at the same time, didn't Tuykufafu and Dobbs get injured. That must of hurt the rotation as well.

Plus, some of our D players are being used in the offense, which also may take a toll. Get J. Smith out of any offensive formations. We need him for defense. He's too old for that s**t now.

Just a thought.

lol you can't be serious. The guy has been a coach in the NFL since the 80s and spent 1 season as a DC in college football between that span and you think he's used to college?

If anything college would teach him to substitute more because your stars usually head to the NFL after 3-4 seasons so you can't get too many well established guys to really favor over others.
He could have been leaning on Justin Smith just because he's so damn good. Hopefully, someone steps up who can be a better player rotating in for him.
Share 49ersWebzone