There are 154 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Losing Crabtree could be a blessing in disguise...

To what extent did Crabtree elevate Kaepernick vs. the extent that Kaepernick elevated Crabtree. I believe the main force was Kaepernick elevating Crabtree. If that's the case it might not be a big a loss as people are making it out to be. I believe that Kaepernick is a great leader and will elevate the play of those around him. Take away the last 10 weeks of play away from Crabtree and how many people would care this much about his injury?
[ Edited by TimeIsNow on May 27, 2013 at 6:08 PM ]
This injury blows but it will expose what we have been doing in the development of AJ Lockette and where the general is headed in this league and it might lead to a couple another mini deal for Boldin. Crabtree will lose a little money I believe
Originally posted by TimeIsNow:
To what extent did Crabtree elevate Kaepernick vs. the extent that Kaepernick elevated Crabtree. I believe the main force was Kaepernick elevating Crabtree. If that's the case it might not be a big a loss as people are making it out to be. I believe that Kaepernick is a great leader and will elevate the play of those around him. Take away the last 10 weeks of play away from Crabtree and how many people would care this much about his injury?

To what extent did Crabtree elevate Alex Smith? Crabtree was a beast all year long especially on 3rd downs no matter who the quarterback was. I believe they both elevated each other. Sure Crabs numbers improved when Kaep came in. The situation would be similar for every other great QB wide receiver tandem in NFL history. Look at Moss when he was with Brady. Rice and Montana/Young. Crabtree was finally starting to reach his potential with Alex. The emergence of Crabtree and Kaepernick made our passing offense something to be feared. Just look at all the yards after contact Crabs had last year. All those awesome 3rd down plays where he seemed to just will his way to some of those first downs. We don't simply get better because we lose an elite WR and now Kaep has to learn to spread the ball around more. Other than Boldin and Vernon, who do you honestly trust? It won't matter if it turns out Kaep's trying to spread the ball around to a pile of crap.
Originally posted by TimeIsNow:
solid points IMO. I think he's the type of QB who makes everyone around him better as well. Just a matter of time here till one of those younger guys starts beasting & becoming a solid go-to opposite Boldin
Originally posted by goldstandard333:
To what extent did Crabtree elevate Alex Smith? Crabtree was a beast all year long especially on 3rd downs no matter who the quarterback was. I believe they both elevated each other. Sure Crabs numbers improved when Kaep came in. The situation would be similar for every other great QB wide receiver tandem in NFL history. Look at Moss when he was with Brady. Rice and Montana/Young. Crabtree was finally starting to reach his potential with Alex. The emergence of Crabtree and Kaepernick made our passing offense something to be feared. Just look at all the yards after contact Crabs had last year. All those awesome 3rd down plays where he seemed to just will his way to some of those first downs. We don't simply get better because we lose an elite WR and now Kaep has to learn to spread the ball around more. Other than Boldin and Vernon, who do you honestly trust? It won't matter if it turns out Kaep's trying to spread the ball around to a pile of crap.

It is a fact that Crabtree was targeted the majority of the passing downs. This logically leads to the idea that Crabs has become a safety net for Kaep. Kaep couldn't develop any kind of chemistry with his other weapons due to this. I don't think many people will try to make an argument that our passing attack is better without Crabs. The argument is that with out his safety net Kaep will be forced to develop chemistry with two proven NFL talents in Boldin and VD as well as promising young talent. Thus making our passing attack a lot less predictable, especially on 3rd down and therefore undeniably more potent when Crabs is ready to play. Also no one can say whether or not we come out the gates swinging, which I think will happen. The point is to find silver linings. The OP started by expressing what a loss Crabs was. This just feels like a straw man argument from someone who is devasted about the loss of an amazing receiver. Don't worry I feel your pain my friend.
[ Edited by jvangeystel on May 27, 2013 at 9:12 PM ]
Originally posted by jvangeystel:
It is a fact that Crabtree was targeted the majority of the passing downs. This logically leads to the idea that Crabs has become a safety net for Kaep. Kaep couldn't develop any kind of chemistry with his other weapons due to this.

Logically huh? My logical brain doesn't jump to that conclusion. What if just maybe Crabtree was our best Wr thus was open more often, thus targeted more. Crazy I know.
It is a fact that Crabtree was targeted the majority of the passing downs. This logically leads to the idea that Crabs has become a safety net for Kaep. Kaep couldn't develop any kind of chemistry with his other weapons due to this. I don't think many people will try to make an argument that our passing attack is better without Crabs. The argument is that with out his safety net Kaep will be forced to develop chemistry with two proven NFL talents in Boldin and VD as well as promising young talent. Thus making our passing attack a lot less predictable, especially on 3rd down and therefore undeniably more potent when Crabs is ready to play. Also no one can say whether or not we come out the gates swinging, which I think will happen. The point is to find silver linings. The OP started by expressing what a loss Crabs was. This just feels like a straw man argument from someone who is devasted about the loss of an amazing receiver. Don't worry I feel your pain my friend.

I'm sorry I know a lot of you are trying to find a silver lining, but I just don't buy that not having one of the best receivers in the NFL will help Kaep develop chemistry with receivers who haven't proven anything. If you remember Kaep had a pretty good chemistry developing with Mario Manningham and Kyle Williams before they went down. He was getting on the same page with Vernon as the playoffs went on. I won't call Crabs a safety net because that's not what he was. He is a playmaker, and now we are down one of our best playmakers. Hoping that one of these other guys can step up as a playmaker.
I'm sorry I know a lot of you are trying to find a silver lining, but I just don't buy that not having one of the best receivers in the NFL will help Kaep develop chemistry with receivers who haven't proven anything. If you remember Kaep had a pretty good chemistry developing with Mario Manningham and Kyle Williams before they went down. He was getting on the same page with Vernon as the playoffs went on. I won't call Crabs a safety net because that's not what he was. He is a playmaker, and now we are down one of our best playmakers. Hoping that one of these other guys can step up as a playmaker.

Once again we are not better without Crabtree. We will be stronger as a team when he returns. A playmaker can also be a safety net aka a guy who you can trust to make something out of nothing. He catches the ball behind the line of scrimmage on 3rd down and he turns it into a first.
Other than Boldin, I'm just not believing in this receiver core. You can tell me how excited you are for this receiver or that receiver to get their shot to step up. I still haven't gotten over the news of Crabs injury. It was like everything was going great and then all the air got sucked out of the room. I hope one of these guys steps up, but I'm not expecting it. Don't tell me show me!

This is kind of where I am with this whole thing. I am also not getting over-optimistic about Crabtree's timeline, I am going to assume he is lost for the entire season, playoffs included.

I like Boldin, I considered him to be a very complimentary receiver to Crabs, who was literally playing out of his mind with Kaep and had even shown marked improvement with Smith. I loved that chemistry that Kaep and Crabs had and I was looking very forward to Crabs having a monster year in 2013. It did not bother me that Kaep targeted Crabs like he did, it was effective in most games and it was obvious they had a connection. If that is what it takes to win (Kaep having a "go-to guy") then I am all for him finding one and using him the same way he used Crabtree. Right now, I see Boldin being the one most likely capable of filling that role. I would rather Kaep have that rapport with a single guy than have him try to work the ball around to others in the interest of proving he can spread the ball around if option one works and gets them back to the Super Bowl.

While I am hopeful that one of the others steps up, I am not as optimistic as some because I just haven't seen it yet. When the injury first happened, I told myself that one of these guys would, but after taking a step back, I am more cautious in my confidence. We could still sign a vet too , who knows what will happen, but there are options.
Once again we are not better without Crabtree. We will be stronger as a team when he returns. A playmaker can also be a safety net aka a guy who you can trust to make something out of nothing. He catches the ball behind the line of scrimmage on 3rd down and he turns it into a first.

I get what you're saying. Hopefully we are stronger as a team when he returns, cause then ain't nobody gonna stop us.

[ Edited by goldstandard333 on May 27, 2013 at 11:25 PM ]
All we can hope for is that we stay competitive in the division and for a bye and Crabtree gives us an extra boost Week 16-17-playoffs.

I suspect this injury might cost us a bye, though...and possibly the division if Seattle is as good as everyone believes they are (I'm still not convinced they will sustain their level of play next year).
Originally posted by Rathmanator:
This is kind of where I am with this whole thing. I am also not getting over-optimistic about Crabtree's timeline, I am going to assume he is lost for the entire season, playoffs included.

I like Boldin, I considered him to be a very complimentary receiver to Crabs, who was literally playing out of his mind with Kaep and had even shown marked improvement with Smith. I loved that chemistry that Kaep and Crabs had and I was looking very forward to Crabs having a monster year in 2013. It did not bother me that Kaep targeted Crabs like he did, it was effective in most games and it was obvious they had a connection. If that is what it takes to win (Kaep having a "go-to guy") then I am all for him finding one and using him the same way he used Crabtree. Right now, I see Boldin being the one most likely capable of filling that role. I would rather Kaep have that rapport with a single guy than have him try to work the ball around to others in the interest of proving he can spread the ball around if option one works and gets them back to the Super Bowl.

While I am hopeful that one of the others steps up, I am not as optimistic as some because I just haven't seen it yet. When the injury first happened, I told myself that one of these guys would, but after taking a step back, I am more cautious in my confidence. We could still sign a vet too , who knows what will happen, but there are options.

I think it's easy to panic because we haven't seen anything real earth-shattering from these guys last year, so it ends up looking like their passing game is as good as screwed. I get this feeling that this creates a perception that we're going to have to rely on our run game and defense to carry the team like in past years, and there's an even bigger fear we're going to regress to the Nolan/Singletary era. Pessimism dies hard in Niner Land.

I still hold firm that they were going to have to deal with developing other receivers sooner or later, because if they have only one playmaker at WR, they go down the same path that the Lions (C. Johnson), Cardinals (Fitzgerald), Texans (A. Johnson), and Bengals (A.J. Green) went down; one and done at best, assuming they make the playoffs at all.

Teams that have multiple contributors in recent years have carried a team much deeper into the playoffs, even if they're not mega superstars by themselves. The teams I think of off the top of my head here are the Patriots (Welker, Hernandez, Gronk), the Giants (Nicks, Cruz), and the Packers (Jennings, Nelson, Cobb, Driver, Finley), defensive issues notwithstanding.

I'm not trying to sound over-optimistic, but rather pragmatic. The sooner the issue is dealt with and addressed, the sooner IMO the team can move forward and progress.
Originally posted by Leathaface:
All we can hope for is that we stay competitive in the division and for a bye and Crabtree gives us an extra boost Week 16-17-playoffs.

I suspect this injury might cost us a bye, though...and possibly the division if Seattle is as good as everyone believes they are (I'm still not convinced they will sustain their level of play next year).

Seattle has its own share of problems right now, not to mention their hardest games are on the road now. Some stat site (I think it was PFF) mentioned that they have the 3rd hardest road schedule in the league this year.

For them, worst case scenario is that if Marshawn Lynch gets suspended, weeks 1-4 IMO could really set the tone for the rest of their season. I think Seattle would need to go .500 or better during those four weeks if they want to stay alive in the division race. The Texans aren't exactly anything to sneeze at, especially as a road opponent, and Seattle's pass rush really saved their hides at the last second against Carolina; a big deal given how 3 of Seattle's best pass rushers are more than likely to be out Week 1 against a guy like Cam Newton.
I don't know how defenses will stop our offense from running the ball behind our line with our trio with our mobile QB and 2 very large TEs and WRs blocking for them. I don't know how defenses will stop our passing game with a huge, big armed mobile QB targeting Boldin, AJ, VD and Vance, the trio at RB and when Rio and KW10 get back. I do know that we will get stops on the other hand because we have one of the very best defenses in the NFL and our special teams should be amongst the very best once more with one of the most brilliant coaching staffs in the league. Aside from this, we have all of our tough opponents traveling to the Stick whereas SEA has a tough road to hoe. I might worry about STL being a CST team in the NFCW though. This is an unfair advantage that they don't see a time zone change like the rest of this division does. I don't see any team on our schedule that we can't beat