There are 271 users in the forums

Losing Crabtree could be a blessing in disguise...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 8749:
Only bright side is that we'll resign Crabtree for cheaper, this will also rush the development of AJ and Patton.

I feel sorry for Crabtree, the injury cost him millions. The owners slash players contracts with the threat of cutting them. I'm all for the players getting what they can because they're discarded so quickly. I love the line from the movie North Dallas Forty when Nick Nolte is being cut he tells management, when you call it a business I call it a game, when I call it a business you call it a game.
Crabtree probably won't be 100 percent this season but if he is cleared to play I expect he will be effective. We have the perfect vet for him to study in Boldin who is not at burner but a guy that wins with toughness and efficiency in movement. There is no wasted motion just power and timing. This is what Crabtree is but just not as crafty as Boldin at using his body positioning to gain the leverage advantage on defenders. Crabtree has a game that can overcome this and we got the perfect mentor. Lest we forget mccloughan drafted Crabtree to be Boldin not desean Jackson
Wut
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
I feel sorry for Crabtree, the injury cost him millions. The owners slash players contracts with the threat of cutting them. I'm all for the players getting what they can because they're discarded so quickly. I love the line from the movie North Dallas Forty when Nick Nolte is being cut he tells management, when you call it a business I call it a game, when I call it a business you call it a game.

My favorite line as well! Can't blame guys for going for the huge contracts when they are offered. I'd even work for Jerry Jones if he paid me enough!
I inadvertently omitted AJ. So AJ, Anquan, Lockette, Patton, Vance, Vernon, Celek, LMJ, Frank...I probably forgot a few others...and we have plenty of guys to throw to. Coach and Trent saw to that. It is almost as if they sensed an injury to a receiver, which has bedeviled us since JH got here. Mario and Kyle are two more that are maybes, depending on health status. So the question isn't what do we do without crabs, it is how fast can Kap get comfortable with hopefully 5 or 6 guys, and get on the same page as far as routes go. The simple answer for that is simpler routes, and not so many of them. Let the new guys learn on only a handful of plays, and let Kap get comfortable with where they are going to be when ball is thrown. Aside from vernon, it is almost like Kap has to start over to get comfortable with his receivers, and that will put a lot of pressure on him. We all know he can do it, but starting with so many new guys will be a tough thing for Kap to learn how each guy runs specific routes. ...and Kap is learning how at a minimum, 5 guys, maximum, 7 guys...each run their routes on every play. That is going to be one helluva job for Kap...learning the idiosyncracies of each receiver....and I sure hope LMJ is one of those, whether in the backfield or at times in the slot.

Best thing is we will be pretty much immune to how much damage is caused if we lose another receiver, in that we have so many new ones for Kap to work with. This will be a remarkable season, based on how Kap learns to target so many new guys...We know the D will be better, assuming Reid turns out as expected. We know the STs will be better based on the quality of guys on STs, compared to last yr. We have great RBs with excellent backups. We have a great qB with at least 2 guys who can step in and not look like they are lost. Everything boils down to one thing....Kap and his getting used to his receivers routes. In a nutshell, that is what our season is all about. Oh, yes....also, let's hope HC and OC have gotten rid of "what to do on the 5 yd line with 3 downs to go". I expect our excellent coaching to be even better this yr. So it all boils down to Kap and the receivers....
It will be a blessing if the offense is clicking on all cylinders when Crabtree returns which i think it will by the time Crabtree returns i think Boldin Manningham Patton Jenkins Williams Lockette and Davis will all have big roles in the offense and Crabtree for the playoffs would just be a bonus. With that and gore hunter and LMJ and Kaep. I think the offense should be in the top 10 by the end of the season. If the D doesn't struggle like it did at the end of the season I expect a even better season than last year.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Looking at the # of routes run and # of times targeted, it is impossible to note how few times Vernon was actually targeted. That has to change. Also, in looking at #routes and # of times targeted in last 25% of season, LMJ is not even mentioned....and that has to change also. In the end, if we had gone thru this season(say 13 games) with Crbs being the overwhelming target, and then he ruptured his achilles, we would have been double-bat-screwed. This way, Kap is forced to work with other guys and my hope would be he can make more...a lot more... targets that he feels comfortable with. In that, I agree there is a silver lining here, despite the fact that we will miss Crabs a ton. Still, if Patton, Lockette, LMJ et al are targeted and used routinely along with Vernon and Anquan, (and don't forget Vance), then it may just work out very well for us. That said, the aforementioned are all going to have to really suck up their guts and play like madmen. No harm in that, only very potential benefits. That doesn't even bring into account Kyle and Mario.

Admittedly, that is a lot of targets to learn "how to" run routes where both QB and receiver are on the same page. Heck maybe we have Okoye running routes....who knows? I think we not only will be alright, we will be the better for it. And if Crbs magically comes back at week 13, hey, more targets for Kap. No question if Ds know who Kaps favorite target is, that guy(Crbs) gets doubled. It would be fantastic if Kap could somehow, magically, get on the same page with all our remaining WRs plus Vernon and Vance, who I think ends up being the 3rd down possession receiver, across the middle, who then just sits down for the first down. Maybe all wishful thinking, but I can actually see it happen.

I still remember going into NFCC game against NYG, with only ONE WR. And that sucked. No mas, and Coach H plus Trent have seen to that. Now it is up to those chosen guys to lay it all out on the line and show what they can do.

Agreed, well said. I actually think we will be better for it. It could actually make this team more dangerous offensively for it. A.J, is hungry to prove he's no bust. Regardless of what he says publicly he's feeling the pressure, and I think he'll respond. Call me silly but I think A.J is gonna step up and earn that #2 role, he'll be pushed by Patton and Lockette for sure, but I think A.J pulls it out. He's put in a lot of off-season work, gained some weight (with 200lbs as his goal) and seeks to go up the middle more, and with the bigger CBs we've brought in I have to think he's gonna be a bit more physical at the LOS. Ricardo Lockette is gonna really see some playing time and seriously push for the #3 spot, and I thought that before the injury to Crabs. Now he's in the mix for the #2 as well (but, again, I think A.J is gonna claim that spot). I'm very excited about Quinton Patton, and still shocked he even feel to us. I was sure he'd be gone by mid 2nd. I think it's gonna be a real competition battle between he and Lockette for that #3 spot and think Patton just might get it. Williams and Manningham are both coming off major injuries so I'm not all that confident if we can expect much out of them, especially Manningham. If we get anything out of either of them I think JH & Co. will view it as a bonus.

I know we lost Walker, but I honestly don't think we drop much ground with his loss. I see Vance McDonald fitting Walkers H-back role quite well. In this multifaceted offense an athletic 267lbs H-back with soft hands is a murderous match-up problem and a scheme killer for defensive co-coordinators. With a weapon like that lining up in the backfield our whams and traps are gonna be even more crushing and devastating.

We have Boldin and Vernon Davis, both will still command double teams, chemistry or not. And I'm not buying that C. Kaep. will have chemistry issues. His WR's have to get on his page, which seems to me that they are doing, and have been doing all off-season. He's doing all the right things, will play with a major chip on his shoulders from the SB loss and all the questions if he'll keep up the production or not, and he's completely cemented his leadership role and others are responding. I have all the confidence C. Kaep will spread the ball around.

Bottom line, we have a wealth of young talent at the WR position, even with the injury to Crabs. We will be fine, we'll still win 11 or 12 games, win the division and get back to the SB. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I just wish we get a break from the injuries at the WR position
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

losing ur best WR for a season is never a good thing. THIS IS PISS!

Whether its half empty...or half full...ITS STILL ONLY HALF OF A CUP!!!
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dreNmel08:

Originally posted by HearstFan:
Repost from comment in editorial:

Frankly, I see a silver lining here. It is easy for a young QB to develop a dependence on one receiver - CK seemed to be heading that way with Crabs. When that happens, it makes it a lot easier for a defense to disrupt your success. This will force Ck to develop chemistry with a lot of his receivers - VD, McDonald, AJ, Patton, LMJ, during the offseason and training camp, which will make them better with a diversified attack that is hard to stop when the season arrives. When Crabs comes back (this year or next) the 49ers will be more balanced for it. And if Crabs gets crazy in contract negotiations, they'll be ready to survive without him.

SILVER LINING MAN - I'm sticking to it. :)

This! I've said it before and I'll say it again. The passing game had become predictable and it didn't take much ingenuity for defenses to catch up to it in the end.
The final couple of plays in the Superbowl wasn't much of a cat and mouse game. It was either Gore or Crabtree and both were well defended.

Now it forces Capernick to work with the other receivers and maybe he'll learn to spread the ball around more. Hopefully the new WR's are up to the task. Jenkins is on the ropes if he doesn't produce this year.

Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by dreNmel08:

The half full/empty debate is stupid

It's half full if you filled it to half.

It's half empty if you drank it down to half.

I don't get it, apparently.
Other than Boldin, I'm just not believing in this receiver core. You can tell me how excited you are for this receiver or that receiver to get their shot to step up. I still haven't gotten over the news of Crabs injury. It was like everything was going great and then all the air got sucked out of the room. I hope one of these guys steps up, but I'm not expecting it. Don't tell me show me!
  • Axl49
  • Veteran
There is no positive to losing our best WR we need to win now not next year or whatever this year has to be ours. Too much letdowns already.
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Originally posted by 8749:
Only bright side is that we'll resign Crabtree for cheaper, this will also rush the development of AJ and Patton.

If he comes back in time for the playoffs, which he likely will, and peforms to his highest capabilities, I don't believe he will be losing much money. Especially if we win the Super Bowl.
There is no way losing Crabtree can be looked at as a blessing... he was our chain mover and breaks tackles like a G. However, we do have Boldin who will be Mr. 3rd down for us.

If, and its a gigantic IF both Jenkins and Lockette have progressed enough this offseason to be reliable targets... then losing Crabtree will be compensated by 2 guys with 4.3 speed coupled with a QB who can throw 70 yards in the air. That would take the top off the defense and open up our running game along with LMJ as our Sproles clone. Lastly picking up Patton was huge because he may not be a down the field threat but he is shifty as f*ck in the first 10 yards of his route, similar to KW.

IMO we will always be a run first team, but losing crabtree has made our passing game go from consistent to more of a boom or bust type passing attack. Crabtree, VD and Boldin would allow us to march down the field in a methodic manner. Now with Boldin, VD, and then either MM, KW, Lockette or AJ (possibly even VM lining up in the slot) our passing game could look more like San Diegos passing attack back when they were still a good team.
[ Edited by 5280High on May 27, 2013 at 5:21 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone