LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 135 users in the forums

Losing Crabtree could be a blessing in disguise...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
this injury is a blessing from a financial pov, crabtree will be a lot cheaper to resign, if we decide to bring him back.

also, CK will have to rely on the young receiving corp instead of being dependent on crabtree as the #1 target. this will be good for CK's development as a passer.

i predict jenkins will have a breakout year.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
God bless you...
AJ JENKINS NEXT T.O. !!
I'm not sure at all that Manningham won't be ready by Week 1. Just because he won't be ready for the beginning of camp doesn't mean he won't be ready a month and a half later. It's pretty optimistic that he's running and cutting. And a Boldin/Manningham/Williams/Jenkins/Patton WR corps is MORE than adequate for 2-3 months.
[ Edited by kap2crab on May 26, 2013 at 8:57 PM ]
Losing a player through injury is part of the game. Crabtree was turning into a reliable possession receiver. His toughness impressed me. Someone will step.
Originally posted by MILFS:
this injury is a blessing from a financial pov, crabtree will be a lot cheaper to resign, if we decide to bring him back.

also, CK will have to rely on the young receiving corp instead of being dependent on crabtree as the #1 target. this will be good for CK's development as a passer.

i predict jenkins will have a breakout year.

He may never again be the guy we saw last year.
Originally posted by ilikecows699:
AJ JENKINS NEXT T.O. !!

Crabtree = Rice
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Losing a player through injury is part of the game. Crabtree was turning into a reliable possession receiver. His toughness impressed me. Someone will step.

Kap will make either Jenkins/Patton/Lockette look really good this year
  • irief
  • Veteran
I'm not saying that Crabtree's injury is actually a blessing. Far from it. It was devastating news for sure, but part of me thinks that our offense could benefit from having a WR to take the top off of the defense. Plus a faster wide out plays to Kap's strenghts, which is to let it rip down field and open up the offense. The dink and dunk game really isn't his game.

We'd obviously love to have Crabtree ready for opening day, but at the same time him and Boldin on the field may have made our passing game more predictable and potentially easier defend. It reminds me of of the Lakers offseason, where they seemed outstanding on paper and based on name recognition, but the players didn't really complement each other. They didn't make up for each others weaknesses. Lakers just ended up being slow, lumbering, and easier to defend with multiple players with the same types of weaknesses.

No one can predict the future and exactly how Crabs/Boldin will be used. They'll probably be productive on the field together, but there is just this one aspect of the duo that could possibly benefit from having a different type of WR on the field.
[ Edited by irief on May 27, 2013 at 12:04 AM ]
The negative aspects to losing our best receiver will of course likely predominate, but the situation may reveal some very positive aspects, as people have mentioned. Yes, his injury sucks major D right now, but it will be very interesting to see how we adapt. Maybe we'll learn to win without him and his return will provide just the physical presence and team-wide confidence boost we need to rocket through the postseason. Perhaps Colin will develop near telepathic chemistry with other receivers. Maybe he just injured himself into a re-signable price range that will benefit us greatly in the long term. Long term winning is what matters. We know that. Until the future presents itself there's nothing wrong with focusing on the possible hidden values of the injury, though it is counterintuitive even to consider. Everything that ever happens doesn't have to be all good or all bad, that sort of thinking is too simplistic for the cerebral Mecca that is Niner Talk. There will be pros and cons. Maybe more pros than we think. Recognize.

Cerebral Mecca!!?? Damn! Heard it called a lot of things!

The fact is, when your team is loaded, one player going down presents an opportunity for another. It's up to them, then.

If it had to happen, now is the best time. Harbs has all summer to experiment and produce a Crabfree O.

Still very optimistic.
Haha, we say losing Crabs will be a blessing in disguise every offseason crabs gets hurt. It will be a blessing if crabs can come back to last year's form sometime this year.
  • Veteran
Only bright side is that we'll resign Crabtree for cheaper, this will also rush the development of AJ and Patton.
Some say the glass is half full. Others say the glass is half empty. I say the glass is too big.
Originally posted by 8749:
Only bright side is that we'll resign Crabtree for cheaper, this will also rush the development of AJ and Patton.

I feel sorry for Crabtree, the injury cost him millions. The owners slash players contracts with the threat of cutting them. I'm all for the players getting what they can because they're discarded so quickly. I love the line from the movie North Dallas Forty when Nick Nolte is being cut he tells management, when you call it a business I call it a game, when I call it a business you call it a game.
Share 49ersWebzone