There are 163 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Losing Crabtree could be a blessing in disguise...

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I can't see how it's good. Kaep looks for Crabtree on every play. I think he will be lost without Crabtree. He better learn to start looking for VD instead of just ignoring him game after game.

I love VD but he's not nearly as reliable of a route runner and doesn't have the hands of Crabtree either. His targets def will go up though.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I can't see how it's good. Kaep looks for Crabtree on every play. I think he will be lost without Crabtree. He better learn to start looking for VD instead of just ignoring him game after game.

Exactly why this is a good thing. He'll have to evolve and develop.......so when Crabtree does comeback, defenses are really going to be screwed trying to stop literally everyone out on the field.

That could happen and he could also regress badly and we found out he is a 1st read guy and then run. Which he did a lot of last year btw.

If you were a first year starter in the NFL coming from a pistol offense to a NFL team with Super Bowl aspirations and you have Kaep skill set with a glue guy WR like Crabtree you would probably look for him also until you get further acclimated. John Madden remarked how when Romo got the job over Bledsoe he looked for TO and Madden said "this guy knows who to give the ball to". Needless to say Romo kept the job and he subsequently learned how to find other receivers. Kaep will as well I have no doubt. It's not uncommon for a new QB to use his crutch but I thought Kaep got progressively better and this should continue.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

losing ur best WR for a season is never a good thing. THIS IS PISS!

Football is a psychological game sometimes though. Look at the Ravens, they got Suggs back just in time tom plow through the PO/SB with a marginal record at hand.. With Lewis retiring, Suggs returning from a serious injury and having 4 playoff games as opposed to one, they sure turned those disadvantages into an ADVANTAGE I'd say.
Originally posted by bigwads:
There isn't anything "good" about this, but some of the opportunities it creates is for us to really see what we have in Jenkins and company.

Could not have said it better myself.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Exactly why this is a good thing. He'll have to evolve and develop.......so when Crabtree does comeback, defenses are really going to be screwed trying to stop literally everyone out on the field.

That could happen and he could also regress badly and we found out he is a 1st read guy and then run. Which he did a lot of last year btw.

I dont think this is true. I thought he did a good job of moving on to his 2nd, 3rd, etc options pretty well.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Looking at the # of routes run and # of times targeted, it is impossible to note how few times Vernon was actually targeted. That has to change. Also, in looking at #routes and # of times targeted in last 25% of season, LMJ is not even mentioned....and that has to change also. In the end, if we had gone thru this season(say 13 games) with Crbs being the overwhelming target, and then he ruptured his achilles, we would have been double-bat-screwed. This way, Kap is forced to work with other guys and my hope would be he can make more...a lot more... targets that he feels comfortable with. In that, I agree there is a silver lining here, despite the fact that we will miss Crabs a ton. Still, if Patton, Lockette, LMJ et al are targeted and used routinely along with Vernon and Anquan, (and don't forget Vance), then it may just work out very well for us. That said, the aforementioned are all going to have to really suck up their guts and play like madmen. No harm in that, only very potential benefits. That doesn't even bring into account Kyle and Mario.

Admittedly, that is a lot of targets to learn "how to" run routes where both QB and receiver are on the same page. Heck maybe we have Okoye running routes....who knows? I think we not only will be alright, we will be the better for it. And if Crbs magically comes back at week 13, hey, more targets for Kap. No question if Ds know who Kaps favorite target is, that guy(Crbs) gets doubled. It would be fantastic if Kap could somehow, magically, get on the same page with all our remaining WRs plus Vernon and Vance, who I think ends up being the 3rd down possession receiver, across the middle, who then just sits down for the first down. Maybe all wishful thinking, but I can actually see it happen.

I still remember going into NFCC game against NYG, with only ONE WR. And that sucked. No mas, and Coach H plus Trent have seen to that. Now it is up to those chosen guys to lay it all out on the line and show what they can do.

LOL at including Patton, Lockette, and Okoye (!!!!!!) as possible targets in the passing game w/o mentioning Jenkins. WZ cracks me up sometimes.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
LOL at including Patton, Lockette, and Okoye (!!!!!!) as possible targets in the passing game w/o mentioning Jenkins. WZ cracks me up sometimes.

An opportunity for one of our young receivers to step up, yes. A blessing, no. It's only a blessing if one of these guys exceeds what Crabtree could do on the field. I'd rather have Crabtree while the other guys ride the pine to be quite honest. The biggest positive is that Kaep will be forced to build chemistry with other receivers.
[ Edited by SofaKing on May 26, 2013 at 4:35 PM ]
Originally posted by bigwads:
There isn't anything "good" about this, but some of the opportunities it creates is for us to really see what we have in Jenkins and company.

Yea and maybe it will help us resign him at a slightly cheaper deal.
  • IT21
You're right, now I kinda hope Kaepernick gets injured for the season.
Even with losing Crabtree I predict Kaep passes for around at least 3800yds if he stays healthy and around a 100 QB rating. No one receiver will replace Crabtree so we will have to get his production collectively. I have no doubt that with the addition of Boldin, Vance and Patton that we will do it
  • GORO
  • Veteran
In the super bowl he tried to get the ball to Crabtree whether he was open or not. Now he will spread the ball around and make this offense really hard to defend. I hope Crabtree does come back and play especially against the Redskins so I can see him live in action.
Crabtree was a beast last season even when Alex was starting. I'm sorry I don't see the silver lining of losing one of the best WR's in the NFL. Sure it'll be nice if one of our young receivers steps up their play, but make know mistake Crabtree is a beast.
Opportunity
In the short run will hurt. But in the long run will help:
1. Helps Kaepernick develop as a passer. Spread the ball around and develop chemistry with the other receivers.
2. Helps young WR's & TE's develop (McDonald, Patton, AJ, Lockette, etc)
3. Save money on Crabs contract next year
4. Get more deep threat WR's on the field
Crabtree was our go-to-guy on 3rd down. His yards after the catch were money. I'm going to miss that...