There are 45 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Losing Crabtree could be a blessing in disguise...

Looking at the # of routes run and # of times targeted, it is impossible to note how few times Vernon was actually targeted. That has to change. Also, in looking at #routes and # of times targeted in last 25% of season, LMJ is not even mentioned....and that has to change also. In the end, if we had gone thru this season(say 13 games) with Crbs being the overwhelming target, and then he ruptured his achilles, we would have been double-bat-screwed. This way, Kap is forced to work with other guys and my hope would be he can make more...a lot more... targets that he feels comfortable with. In that, I agree there is a silver lining here, despite the fact that we will miss Crabs a ton. Still, if Patton, Lockette, LMJ et al are targeted and used routinely along with Vernon and Anquan, (and don't forget Vance), then it may just work out very well for us. That said, the aforementioned are all going to have to really suck up their guts and play like madmen. No harm in that, only very potential benefits. That doesn't even bring into account Kyle and Mario.

Admittedly, that is a lot of targets to learn "how to" run routes where both QB and receiver are on the same page. Heck maybe we have Okoye running routes....who knows? I think we not only will be alright, we will be the better for it. And if Crbs magically comes back at week 13, hey, more targets for Kap. No question if Ds know who Kaps favorite target is, that guy(Crbs) gets doubled. It would be fantastic if Kap could somehow, magically, get on the same page with all our remaining WRs plus Vernon and Vance, who I think ends up being the 3rd down possession receiver, across the middle, who then just sits down for the first down. Maybe all wishful thinking, but I can actually see it happen.

I still remember going into NFCC game against NYG, with only ONE WR. And that sucked. No mas, and Coach H plus Trent have seen to that. Now it is up to those chosen guys to lay it all out on the line and show what they can do.
Losing Crabtree hurts us for sure he is our best receiver. But I do agree with the op, the rest of the wr group are speed guys, we already have one of the best possession receivers in the game, if one of the speed guys break out, this offense would be unstoppable.
... WUT?
It's an opportunity for Kaepernick to develop a lot more than he might have otherwise. He relied on Crabtree a lot, perhaps too much, him being forced to spread the ball around will be good for his development as a QB and good for this offense as teams won't be able to key in on just one or two guys, there will be a lot more targets utilized and when guys like Patton and Jenkins step up, this offense will become a lot more dangerous. I think when Crabtree comes back he'll be playing on a much more diverse and explosive offense than when he last played. Lots of weapons on this team and forcing Kaepernick to rely on a variety of different receivers will be good for him ultimately.


Last year Greg Jennings missed a lot of games for Green Bay...so what happened...other guys like James Jones stepped up and made huge plays in his absence and now that Jennings is gone, they're not as concerned since they know they can perform without him.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on May 26, 2013 at 12:41 PM ]
Kap didn't "rely on crab". He was the first read and be was open so ball went there
Originally posted by iLL49er:
Kap didn't "rely on crab". He was the first read and be was open so ball went there

He relied on him and missed up a lot of open receivers trying to force the ball into Crabtree. Not having him will force Kaepernick to develop better chemistry with VD who he overthrew for only about 5 or 6 touchdowns last year. Better awareness of guys like Jenkins who ended up breaking wide open a couple times in games last year but Kaepernick instead threw short passes to....Crabtree. In short, it'll be good for his development, he has talented targets all over the place.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on May 26, 2013 at 12:45 PM ]
kaep will be forced to spread the ball around more but in no way is this a good thing, crabs was awesome last year
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
kaep will be forced to spread the ball around more but in no way is this a good thing, crabs was awesome last year

If it helps Kaepernick develop as a passer.....then in the long-term it will be.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
It's an opportunity for Kaepernick to develop a lot more than he might have otherwise. He relied on Crabtree a lot, perhaps too much, him being forced to spread the ball around will be good for his development as a QB and good for this offense as teams won't be able to key in on just one or two guys, there will be a lot more targets utilized and when guys like Patton and Jenkins step up, this offense will become a lot more dangerous. I think when Crabtree comes back he'll be playing on a much more diverse and explosive offense than when he last played. Lots of weapons on this team and forcing Kaepernick to rely on a variety of different receivers will be good for him ultimately.


Last year Greg Jennings missed a lot of games for Green Bay...so what happened...other guys like James Jones stepped up and made huge plays in his absence and now that Jennings is gone, they're not as concerned since they know they can perform without him.

This is a good post and I agree with it entirely. I think we are fooling ourselves if we overlook that this will impact the offense as it was, at least short term. Crabtree was a big part of our super bowl push. With that said, this forces the coaches to get more creative and find a way to implement the skills of the guys that we do have, something that this staff has done very well at. In the end, this injury will benefit us. I think this opportunity might even give us fans something more enticing to look at. In Crabtree's absence we will find out if we have another Victor Cruz or Danario Alexander on this team or we don't but it will be fun to watch the competition unfold.

On a side note, James Jones was a td machine last year, but I think the guy that benefited on the packers the most from Jennings absence was Cobb. What a diverse weapon he is evolving to be.
No, NOT a blessing. There's no silver lining to losing your best receiver; however, it's also not game breaking.
I can't see how it's good. Kaep looks for Crabtree on every play. I think he will be lost without Crabtree. He better learn to start looking for VD instead of just ignoring him game after game.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I can't see how it's good. Kaep looks for Crabtree on every play. I think he will be lost without Crabtree. He better learn to start looking for VD instead of just ignoring him game after game.

Exactly why this is a good thing. He'll have to evolve and develop.......so when Crabtree does comeback, defenses are really going to be screwed trying to stop literally everyone out on the field.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I can't see how it's good. Kaep looks for Crabtree on every play. I think he will be lost without Crabtree. He better learn to start looking for VD instead of just ignoring him game after game.

Exactly why this is a good thing. He'll have to evolve and develop.......so when Crabtree does comeback, defenses are really going to be screwed trying to stop literally everyone out on the field.

That could happen and he could also regress badly and we found out he is a 1st read guy and then run. Which he did a lot of last year btw.
It could be a blessing in disguise because this will make kaep develop chemistry with the other receivers. Imagine if Kaep didn't force the ball to Crabtree on the goal line during the super bowl and gave a chance to the other receivers.
[ Edited by niner4ever12 on May 26, 2013 at 1:47 PM ]