LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 210 users in the forums

Is It Time To Identify A Franchise WR ?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
I keep a close eye on the NFC South and I felt that they were trying to match the firepower of their nemesis and the team that owns them. The New Orleans Saints. They knew they couldn't stop Brees so they might as well get some firepower of their own for Ryan. Their gamble paid off. If we can only get so lucky but is that guy there next draft? BTW, I kinda like Crabtree almost as much as I like R White

No doubt about it. Drew Brees and his high-powered offense is a formidable opponent. My theory has always been even with a stout D, a great offense is still going to score on you no matter what. The Falcons made the right strategic move to invest on their firepower, mind you it only made perfect sense cos they had the QB to do it. If they had a scrub QB, of course it would have been pointless.

As to whether this "guy" could be in the next draft ? I have been looking at some of the WR prospects and I believe we might just be able to find him in this draft class. I am quite enthusiastic about Brandon Coleman thus far. 6'5" and 220 lbs. I have looked at his tape, he is a big playmaker and is explosive after the catch as well, not to mention with his size he can go up to take the top off DBs. It will be very hard for any corner or safety to stop him.

I do like Crab, but I think what we are talking about here is someone 1 level up. Crab is a great possession receiver, no question about it. But, he doesn't have the length to play long with the deep ball and red zone plays. You are right, Crab is almost as good as Roddy White, but remember that high deep corner TD by Julio Jones when he flat out beat T. Brown in the NFC game ? Crab wouldn't have been able to make that play in my opinion. And that is what I am looking for.
Originally posted by Rascal:
No doubt about it. Drew Brees and his high-powered offense is a formidable opponent. My theory has always been even with a stout D, a great offense is still going to score on you no matter what. The Falcons made the right strategic move to invest on their firepower, mind you it only made perfect sense cos they had the QB to do it. If they had a scrub QB, of course it would have been pointless.

As to whether this "guy" could be in the next draft ? I have been looking at some of the WR prospects and I believe we might just be able to find him in this draft class. I am quite enthusiastic about Brandon Coleman thus far. 6'5" and 220 lbs. I have looked at his tape, he is a big playmaker and is explosive after the catch as well, not to mention with his size he can go up to take the top off DBs. It will be very hard for any corner or safety to stop him.

I do like Crab, but I think what we are talking about here is someone 1 level up. Crab is a great possession receiver, no question about it. But, he doesn't have the length to play long with the deep ball and red zone plays. You are right, Crab is almost as good as Roddy White, but remember that high deep corner TD by Julio Jones when he flat out beat T. Brown in the NFC game ? Crab wouldn't have been able to make that play in my opinion. And that is what I am looking for.

Yes that guy is a beast and even the way he snatched that ball away from Goldson midfield and got that YAC thereafter. Then the play where he picked up a first down and got smacked the hell up by Whitner and he just got up and looked at him as if to say "hey lil man you didn't do nothing to me". An awesome specimen
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NickSh49:
I still have no idea what your point is besides, "Let's draft a really good wide receiver."

In short, yes. But, I think in order to identify that "guy", it is probably a little more than just draft a good WR. What we are talking about here will probably involve a huge commitment from our side cos it may require trading up big time. A bit like how we traded up all the way to 18th to get Eric Reid this year, only it may be higher pending on how the draft falls. I am talking about get the guy at all costs much like how committed the Rams was in going up to 8th to get Tavon Austin.
I will research this guy Coleman and I hope he doesn't get injured this season like Lattimore and Carradine playing college football
I keep a close eye on the NFC South and I felt that they were trying to match the firepower of their nemesis and the team that owns them. The New Orleans Saints. They knew they couldn't stop Brees so they might as well get some firepower of their own for Ryan. Their gamble paid off. If we can only get so lucky but is that guy there next draft? BTW, I kinda like Crabtree almost as much as I like R White

1. There are no spaces at the end of sentences between the final consonant and the question mark. It's been bugging me since the Levi's thread, figured I'd just tell you now.

2. You do not have access or have looked at "tape." You have access and have looked at YouTube videos and college games.

3. Had you retitled this thread, "Is Michael Crabtree worth a long-term investment or should we look to replace him?" then you would have avoided a lot of confusion that's happening in here.

4. The people who work in the front office know more about football than you or I. Questioning the judgement of them, after we've been in the playoffs for two straight years now and have been putting up double-digits in the win column, isn't the smartest thing to do.

5. Still waiting on that Levi's/Russell Wilson PR fiasco...
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Yes that guy is a beast and even the way he snatched that ball away from Goldson midfield and got that YAC thereafter. Then the play where he picked up a first down and got smacked the hell up by Whitner and he just got up and looked at him as if to say "hey lil man you didn't do nothing to me". An awesome specimen

Now we are on the same page. That is what I am talking about here. Kaep is only going to get better and I think he definitely warrants such a top grade weapon !!
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
1. There are no spaces at the end of sentences between the final consonant and the question mark. It's been bugging me since the Levi's thread, figured I'd just tell you now.

2. You do not have access or have looked at "tape." You have access and have looked at YouTube videos and college games.

3. Had you retitled this thread, "Is Michael Crabtree worth a long-term investment or should we look to replace him?" then you would have avoided a lot of confusion that's happening in here.

4. The people who work in the front office know more about football than you or I. Questioning the judgement of them, after we've been in the playoffs for two straight years now and have been putting up double-digits in the win column, isn't the smartest thing to do.

Grow up my son.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
I will research this guy Coleman and I hope he doesn't get injured this season like Lattimore and Carradine playing college football

Absolutely. Let's hope he stays healthy. I also like Jerry's cousin, Jordan Matthews. But, so far, my preference is definitely still on Coleman.
I guess sometimes the right talent comes along and you spend a little more draft capital acquiring it than usual. These guys do seem to have potential from what little I can see. Definitely players to keep an eye on and find out more about this upcoming season

Grow up my son.

Personal attack.

Don't have time to read all 8 pages just now. Sorry.

But good to see you mentioned successful teams with franchise WRs to demonstrate what we should be after. Oh no. Wait. You selected the good (Falcons), the bad and the ugly. (Lions & Bengals.)

There are many ways to win a Superbowl - but having one elite WR is not really a crucial element of it. It can help, but it is not essential. And if the OP is using those 3 teams as examples I don't really need to make much of an argument.

I think Crabtree can go on to have regular 1,000 yard seasons - but whether he stays with us probably comes down to whether he wants the best contract he can get. Successful teams need the players that accept to stay for lower salaries than lesser teams can give them. It also helps to have players that can share the burden, so you are not overly reliant on one player.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by captain_planet:
Uhh. Don't franchise wide receivers usually identify themselves by catching lots of passes and gaining lots of yards and scoring lots of touchdowns?

What I am saying is to identify that top talent / potential franchise WR then go after him in the draft much like how the Falcons went after Julio Jones and the Lions going after Megatron. Whether their performance translate in the NFL is any matter, but there was no doubt both the Falcons and Lions had franchise WR in mind.

How exactly did the Detroit Lions go after Calvin Johnson?

Calvin Johnson was selected by the Detroit Lions as the second pick overall in the 2007 NFL Draft.

To get Calvin Johnson, the Detroit Lions went 3 and 13 in 2006.

Are you seriously suggesting that Baalke should use the Detroit model to go after a franchise wide receiver?

I hope not.

Since picking Calvin Johnson, the Lions have a cumulative record of 14 and 18. They have made the play-offs one time.
[ Edited by buck on May 25, 2013 at 12:31 AM ]
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by captain_planet:
Uhh. Don't franchise wide receivers usually identify themselves by catching lots of passes and gaining lots of yards and scoring lots of touchdowns?

What I am saying is to identify that top talent / potential franchise WR then go after him in the draft much like how the Falcons went after Julio Jones and the Lions going after Megatron. Whether their performance translate in the NFL is any matter, but there was no doubt both the Falcons and Lions had franchise WR in mind.

How exactly did the Detroit Lions go after Calvin Johnson?

Calvin Johnson was selected by the Detroit Lions as the second pick overall in the 2007 NFL Draft.

To get Calvin Johnson, the Detroit Lions went 3 and 13 in 2006.

Are you seriously suggesting that Baalke should use the Detroit model to go after a franchise wide receiver?

I hope not.

Since picking Calvin Johnson, the Lions have a cumulative record of 14 and 18. They have made the play-offs one time.

No, I think he's suggesting we pull an Atlanta and trade up into the top ten next year to get a wide receiver. I THINK that's what he's saying.

It's not a terrible idea when you spell it out this way, but the OP hasn't been clear, besides the fact that he would like to upgrade our #1 WR. He also hasn't taken into account the impact this would have on the salary cap.

And I'm pretty sure the 49ers had "franchise WR" in mind (whatever the hell that really means) when they drafted Michael Crabtree, though he obviously hasn't lived up to expectations.
[ Edited by NickSh49 on May 25, 2013 at 12:44 AM ]
No, I think he's suggesting we pull an Atlanta and trade up into the top ten next year to get a wide receiver. I THINK that's what he's saying.

It's not a terrible idea when you spell it out this way, but the OP hasn't been clear, besides the fact that he would like to upgrade our #1 WR. He also hasn't taken into account the impact this would have on the salary cap.

And I'm pretty sure the 49ers had "franchise WR" in mind (whatever the hell that really means) when they drafted Michael Crabtree, though he obviously hasn't lived up to expectations.

I think they specifically had Anquan Boldin in mind according to McCloughan when they selected him and if he can stay healthy under Kaep we may see some of that production.
[ Edited by Pillbusta on May 25, 2013 at 12:54 AM ]

Grow up my son.

Personal attack.
wtf

Share 49ersWebzone