There are 104 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is It Time To Identify A Franchise WR ?

Originally posted by Rascal:
What I am saying is to identify that top talent / potential franchise WR then go after him in the draft much like how the Falcons went after Julio Jones and the Lions going after Megatron. Whether their performance translate in the NFL is any matter, but there was no doubt both the Falcons and Lions had franchise WR in mind.

Lions had one the league's worst records so they picked high and had to go with the obvious talent in CJ2K the WR and yes the Falcons did hit on their immensive risk but as a result of throwing away their draft they were left with no running game and no defense. They have recovered nicely because they did well in Free Agency when they scored Gonzalez and now Steven Jackson and they have spent this draft fixing their defense as much as they can yet they are not as complete a team as we are
What I am saying is to identify that top talent / potential franchise WR then go after him in the draft much like how the Falcons went after Julio Jones and the Lions going after Megatron. Whether their performance translate in the NFL is any matter, but there was no doubt both the Falcons and Lions had franchise WR in mind.

I can agree that we can use that type of talent at WR. Who couldn't and we will definitely have the ammo to make the right move but I am glad with what we did this draft as opposed to going all in on a Tavon Austin
He is #15, he is going to be watching from the sidelines for about 6 months, and he will resign with the Niners to fulfill all the potential he showed late last year.
In the 80s - we had Jerry Rice.

In the 90s - we had TO.

During both eras, we had 2 legendary franchise QBs in Joe Montana and Steve Young. We now have Kaep and most believe he will be our franchise QB for years to come. I believe is only fitting we arm our future franchise lead-man with a top-grade weapon.

Let's just take a look at what some of the other teams have :

Matt Ryan has - Julio Jones

Matthew Stafford has - Megatron

Andy Dalton has - AJ Green

So, from now and beyond - who do we have ? Is Crab the guy ? If not, is it time to start headhunt for one ?

I think it makes perfect sense to identify such a person. This person shouldn't be just any decent wideout, he needs to be that very special player, a game changer who can make the biggest of plays on demand if you will.

As good as Crab is, I am just not convinced he is the very best that we can find. True, he is a great possession receiver, I just don't see his game being all-rounded enough especially for the deep ball and red zone plays. Besides, there is a possibility we may lose him come contract time anyway as a lot of you have predicted here.

I am beginning to look ahead into future drafts for such a special talent as I don't think that person is within our current receiving corps. No matter who he is, I believe his measurables will have to be top notch :

• Tall - 6'3" +
  • Physical - ideally 220 lbs +

This person will have to be able burn and take the top off double teams. His skill set will need to be multi-faceted, but I believe heavier weighting should be placed on making the bigger and deeper plays.

That is what I have in mind.

What are your thoughts ?

How is this thread not locked yet?
Is this question/thread for real? Seriously.
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Lions had one the league's worst records so they picked high and had to go with the obvious talent in CJ2K the WR and yes the Falcons did hit on their immensive risk but as a result of throwing away their draft they were left with no running game and no defense. They have recovered nicely because they did well in Free Agency when they scored Gonzalez and now Steven Jackson and they have spent this draft fixing their defense as much as they can yet they are not as complete a team as we are

Well, no doubt we have a more complete team than the Falcons, but that took years to build. When the Falcons picked Julio Jones, they had a decision to make, either to get a high-powered offense going first since they already had a great QB in Matt Ryan or fix the D for example. Afterall, you only have some many draft picks and strategically you got to decide what your priorty is. To their credit, they made the right choice, I would have done the same on the offensive side of the ball cos to win you have to put points on the board and outscore your opponent. Even if their D wasn't great, they were still winning games, a heck a lot of games. And once Julio improved even more last year, they finally made the playoffs last year. Now that they have one of if not the best receiving corps in the league, they only need to strengthen their D and they will be a legit contender. Is hard to argue when you have both Roddy White and Julio Jones.
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
I can agree that we can use that type of talent at WR. Who couldn't and we will definitely have the ammo to make the right move but I am glad with what we did this draft as opposed to going all in on a Tavon Austin

Well, that is what I am talking about. Since we drafted D heavy this year, by right there shouldn't be any reason why we can't make a huge move to secure a top WR in next year's draft.
Originally posted by NickSh49:

Locked ? Even the mod is in the discussion. If the topic doesn't interest you, you don't have to participate.
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
He is #15, he is going to be watching from the sidelines for about 6 months, and he will resign with the Niners to fulfill all the potential he showed late last year.

this
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Is this question/thread for real? Seriously.

Absolutely.
Well, no doubt we have a more complete team than the Falcons, but that took years to build. When the Falcons picked Julio Jones, they had a decision to make, either to get a high-powered offense going first since they already had a great QB in Matt Ryan or fix the D for example. Afterall, you only have some many draft picks and strategically you got to decide what your priorty is. To their credit, they made the right choice, I would have done the same on the offensive side of the ball cos to win you have to put points on the board and outscore your opponent. Even if their D wasn't great, they were still winning games, a heck a lot of games. And once Julio improved even more last year, they finally made the playoffs last year. Now that they have one of if not the best receiving corps in the league, they only need to strengthen their D and they will be a legit contender. Is hard to argue when you have both Roddy White and Julio Jones.

I keep a close eye on the NFC South and I felt that they were trying to match the firepower of their nemesis and the team that owns them. The New Orleans Saints. They knew they couldn't stop Brees so they might as well get some firepower of their own for Ryan. Their gamble paid off. If we can only get so lucky but is that guy there next draft? BTW, I kinda like Crabtree almost as much as I like R White
Patriots have been doing pretty well without a #1..
Originally posted by NickSh49:

Locked ? Even the mod is in the discussion. If the topic doesn't interest you, you don't have to participate.

The goal of the front office is to build the best team possible through the draft, free agency, & making trades.

You are essentially asking, "Should we find a REALLY BIG, REALLY GOOD wide receiver and get him on the team?"

Obviously, the answer to that question is "Yes." We've been looking for one since T.O. left. It's not an easy position to fill, just like trying to find "franchise" pass rushers.

I'm not sure what else there is to say. Yes, the 49ers would love to upgrade their WR-corps, if the opportunity was there, with the kind of player you are talking about.

But it's like going onto a Browns message board and starting the topic, "Is it time to identify a franchise quarterback?"

Duh. Yes. Everyone wants better players on their team, but it takes a little luck & the right opportunity.
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by buck:
I maybe wrong, but the thread seems to assume that we have not been looking for a franchise wide receiver.

Asking the question Is it time to identify a franchise wide receiver seems to indicate that the team has not been attempting to do that.

Although in fact, we do not know if the team has identified such as wide receiver, but was unable to draft him.

It is the off season, and the thread surely has its value. No harm, no foul.

I don't know whether we have attempted to before or not. I guess my point is bottomline we don't have that guy right now. We don't have our own version of Megatron or Julio Jones. That is what I am hoping we can attain.

My sense is that this post is based upon negative assumptions about the quality of our front office.

Your response to another poster (quoted below) seems to confirm my sense.

I am not saying is "simple" or "easy" per se. The point is if Detroit can land Megatron or Atlanta can find a Julio Jones, surely the 9ers can do the same unless our talent evaluation capability is somewhat below par.

That is perhaps something we need to look into. Sometimes, I do get a feeling that Baalke gets a little cute with some of the picks at times, case in point AJ Jenkins. Sometimes, great players are exactly that and will be both rated high and projected to be drafted high. You don't always have to prove a point by going against the grain. Julio Jones was rated and projected to be drafted high and that was what happened and he is easily a top 5 wideout now.

No matter what, there is always going to be a level of risks involved in any high draft whether his name is Julio Jones or Eric Reid. There are no 2 ways about it, you just have to make the call and go for it. That was what the Rams did this year, traded all the way up to 8th to get Tavon Austin. As the saying goes, no risk no gain. You just can't get away with it, it comes with the territory.

Apparently, you think Baalke gets too cute or that our talent evaluation is below par.

Like anyone you are entitled to your own opinion and your assumptions, but, and correct me if I am wrong, based upon your years of experience in publicity you quite vigorously predicted that a disaster when the team granted the stadium naming rights to Levi Strauss, because the company had a deal with Russel Wilson.

Contrary to your expert opinion, that predicted disaster has not occurred, and it does not appear that it will occur.

What weight exactly do think your opinion should be given when you evaluate a professional in another field when you do not have the information or facts required to make such an evaluation.

But, like I said, you are entitled to your opinion and assumptions. I have mine.

Baalke may have blown the Jenkins pick, but he has made many more good picks than bad.
Even if he blew the Jenkins pick, there is no credible evidence he did so because he was being too cute.

I don't know what your problem is. First of all, in response to your post, it is what it is, I simply don't believe we have that person.

As for my conversation with another poster, that is our conversation. It has nothing to do with you. In any case, you need to read his comment, he doesn't seem to believe we are capable of picking that person. Jenkins was a bad pick just like you said it and that was why I used it as an example. Other than that, no offense I don't give a crap whether you think I have the weight to disagree with the FO, plain and simple.

I still have no idea what your point is besides, "Let's draft a really good wide receiver."