There are 29 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is It Time To Identify A Franchise WR ?

  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 9,651
Originally posted by Rascal:
6'3" + and 220 + is just my personal preference and I am not comparing that to Jerry Rice. If you like smaller receivers, you can state that as your preference too.

Sorry, I did not realize that you were only stating your personal preferences. I took your statement as more a more definitive statement of what mensurables the receiver must have. Again, sorry. I was confused.

No matter who he is, I believe his measurables will have to be top notch : (Tall - 6'3" +) and (Physical - ideally 220 lbs + :)

I guess we agree. Clearly, height, weight, or even speed are not the most critical factors for a good receiver.
Originally posted by Rascal:
Originally posted by TTown9ers:
We have one. His name is Michael Crabtree. Unfortunately he's going to be out for a while.


OK and are you confident the 9ers will be happy to pay him $10-12 mil a year come contract time or do you think they will try to look for a potentially even better wideout to groom in the draft ?

if you want a #1 wr, you have to pay for them, be it crabtree or someone else. i understand drafting one and paying him less than elite money for a few years, but that also comes with the growing pains.
marquise lee.
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by Rascal:
6'3" + and 220 + is just my personal preference and I am not comparing that to Jerry Rice. If you like smaller receivers, you can state that as your preference too.

Sorry, I did not realize that you were only stating your personal preferences. I took your statement as more a more definitive statement of what mensurables the receiver must have. Again, sorry. I was confused.

No matter who he is, I believe his measurables will have to be top notch : (Tall - 6'3" +) and (Physical - ideally 220 lbs + :)

I guess we agree. Clearly, height, weight, or even speed are not the most critical factors for a good receiver.


Not a problem. I have to admit to find someone with everything you want is going to be hard, but for me, height is key, I am just not a big fan of those 5'11" and 6' type guys even if it means I might have to suffer a little in weight. You can bulk up to gain weight, afterall AJJ was said to be skinny even by Baalke and he has been hitting the gym trying to build muscles. But, if you look at those measurables, one guy from next year's draft springs to mind, Brandon Coleman, 6'5" 220 lbs.
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by Rascal:
Originally posted by TTown9ers:
We have one. His name is Michael Crabtree. Unfortunately he's going to be out for a while.


OK and are you confident the 9ers will be happy to pay him $10-12 mil a year come contract time or do you think they will try to look for a potentially even better wideout to groom in the draft ?

if you want a #1 wr, you have to pay for them, be it crabtree or someone else. i understand drafting one and paying him less than elite money for a few years, but that also comes with the growing pains.


I understand what you are saying, but my concern is if we have to pay both Kaep and Aldon plus Crab all at the same time, we might have an issue there. May be we could draft a top talent and get him on the cheap for at least a few years.
Originally posted by scarletandgold:
marquise lee.


I know he is a fan favourite. I looked at his tape before and wasn't all that impressed. I didn't see many deep plays plus he is a bit small for me. I am looking at guys like Brandon Coleman and Jordan Matthews.
Originally posted by TTown9ers:
We have one. His name is Michael Crabtree. Unfortunately he's going to be out for a while.
This.........
Originally posted by highway49:
Originally posted by TTown9ers:
We have one. His name is Michael Crabtree. Unfortunately he's going to be out for a while.
This.........


The question is can we afford to dish out huge contracts to cover Kaep, Aldon and Crab all at the same time ?
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 9,651
Originally posted by Rascal:
Not a problem. I have to admit to find someone with everything you want is going to be hard, but for me, height is key, I am just not a big fan of those 5'11" and 6' type guys even if it means I might have to suffer a little in weight. You can bulk up to gain weight, afterall AJJ was said to be skinny even by Baalke and he has been hitting the gym trying to build muscles. But, if you look at those measurables, one guy from next year's draft springs to mind, Brandon Coleman, 6'5" 220 lbs.

I do not put that much stock in measurables--to many tall wide receivers, even tall fast receivers have been flops in the NFL.

I have to go with skill set as demonstrated by production and then work ethic; determination and the drive.
Listen, I like Crabtree as much as the next 49ers fan but lets be honest here. This thread is discussing elite #1 WR's and a move to get one whether it be draft or FA or whatever. Anyone actually considering Crabtree in the same category as Johnson, Greene, Jones and White are fooling themselves. He's nowhere near that type of player. He excels at underneath routes, positioning himself to make the catch while shielding himself from defenders and last but not least yards after catch. The part of his game that is non existent is his deep game which all of those elite WR's have. I'm sorry but Crabtree does not fit that bill. Yes he's a number 1 WR on this team but he's not the prototypical big play receiver that those other guys are. I'm sorry but he's probably the best #2 in the game playing the #1 spot. Just how I see it.
Originally posted by buck:
I do not put that much stock in measurables--to many tall wide receivers, even tall fast receivers have been flops in the NFL.

I have to go with skill set as demonstrated by production and then work ethic; determination and the drive.


For me, is measurables + film (for the eye test) + production. But, of course the kid can't be a jerk.
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 874
When Dwight Clark began to fade, Jerry Rice and John Taylor stepped up.
When Jerry Rice went down in 1997, Terrell Owens and J.J. Stokes stepped up.
When Michael Crabtree goes down, Anquan Boldin and Ricardo Lockette will step up.
Originally posted by NinerG94:
Listen, I like Crabtree as much as the next 49ers fan but lets be honest here. This thread is discussing elite #1 WR's and a move to get one whether it be draft or FA or whatever. Anyone actually considering Crabtree in the same category as Johnson, Greene, Jones and White are fooling themselves. He's nowhere near that type of player. He excels at underneath routes, positioning himself to make the catch while shielding himself from defenders and last but not least yards after catch. The part of his game that is non existent is his deep game which all of those elite WR's have. I'm sorry but Crabtree does not fit that bill. Yes he's a number 1 WR on this team but he's not the prototypical big play receiver that those other guys are. I'm sorry but he's probably the best #2 in the game playing the #1 spot. Just how I see it.


I couldn't have put it better. That was really what I meant by the thread, but I didn't want to sound too negative on Crab before I get crushed again.

You totally got my point. So, do you think it makes sense to look for such a guy ?
Originally posted by SaksV:
When Dwight Clark began to fade, Jerry Rice and John Taylor stepped up.
When Jerry Rice went down in 1997, Terrell Owens and J.J. Stokes stepped up.
When Michael Crabtree goes down, Anquan Boldin and Ricardo Lockette will step up.


I think you might have misunderstood my thread. I am not talking about "stepping up" here in reference to Crab's injury. I am talking about something totally seperate.
Originally posted by Rascal:
OK and are you confident the 9ers will be happy to pay him $10-12 mil a year come contract time or do you think they will try to look for a potentially even better wideout to groom in the draft ?

Philosophically speaking, Since the managing of the cap is crucial in fielding a good team, I like the biggest part of the 9er budget to go towards, OL, DL, QB and Pass Rushers. I am in the camp of having 3 good receivers vs 1 great receiver. Especially with Kaep. Should he become elite, and I think he will, he will make average receivers good and good receivers great. Without a great QB and OL, it won't matter who your receiver is. This theory should play out this year. We'll see.
[ Edited by 60sfan on May 24, 2013 at 10:32 AM ]