There are 139 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is It Time To Identify A Franchise WR ?

Originally posted by Rascal:
Originally posted by English:
49ers have two receivers that they drafted in the first round. Any more and we become the Detroit Lions.

I am sorry, I nearly missed it, when you say the 9ers have two 1st round WRs, are you referring to AJ Jenkins as the other guy ? Are we comparing Crab and AJJ with Roddy White and Julio Jones ? That is indeed worrying. Let's be objective here, AJJ hasn't been exactly that great, has he ? Well, let's hope for our and his sake he will make some major strides this coming season cos otherwise he may well just officially become a bust. To add, have you considered we might not be able to re-sign Crab ?

You need me to identify them? I wasn't comparing them to anyone.
49ers have two receivers that they drafted in the first round. Any more and we become the Detroit Lions.

I am sorry, I nearly missed it, when you say the 9ers have two 1st round WRs, are you referring to AJ Jenkins as the other guy ? Are we comparing Crab and AJJ with Roddy White and Julio Jones ? That is indeed worrying. Let's be objective here, AJJ hasn't been exactly that great, has he ? Well, let's hope for our and his sake he will make some major strides this coming season cos otherwise he may well just officially become a bust. To add, have you considered we might not be able to re-sign Crab ?

But, you get my point right ?
This is starting to look purely argumentative. We are what we are, right now. It will be enough, in my view. I didn't see Atlanta playing in the Superbowl, so I am not sure why you threw them in here.

The strength of our team is in the D, the O line, the running game and the starting qb. I think it unlikely (although nothing is impossible) that we trade up to pick up a top wide receiver in next year's draft. But as that is a long time away, I am not sure where this thread is going for now.

Atlanta took the decision to build on their offense first which they have done a pretty good job. They might not have played in the Super Bowl, but they are not far off. We only just managed to beat them in the NFC game. Plus, they are now making moves to build their D and running game.

You said it right, we decided to build on our D first which we have also done a pretty decent job in doing so. Plus, like you said our O-line is also very strong. The turning point of our team is when Harbaugh decided to play Kaep over Alex Smith. That changed everything. We actually have a bonafide passing attack now. It only makes sense that we arm Kaep with even better weapons to fully capitalize on his ability. Don't you think so ?
This is starting to look purely argumentative. We are what we are, right now. It will be enough, in my view. I didn't see Atlanta playing in the Superbowl, so I am not sure why you threw them in here.

The strength of our team is in the D, the O line, the running game and the starting qb. I think it unlikely (although nothing is impossible) that we trade up to pick up a top wide receiver in next year's draft. But as that is a long time away, I am not sure where this thread is going for now.

Atlanta took the decision to build on their offense first which they have done a pretty good job. They might not have played in the Super Bowl, but they are not far off. We only just managed to beat them in the NFC game. Plus, they are now making moves to build their D and running game.

You said it right, we decided to build on our D first which we have also done a pretty decent job in doing so. Plus, like you said our O-line is also very strong. The turning point of our team is when Harbaugh decided to play Kaep over Alex Smith. That changed everything. We actually have a bonafide passing attack now. It only makes sense that we arm Kaep with even better weapons to fully capitalize on his ability. Don't you think so ?

Well, in my view we already have the starting line up of receivers on the roster. I take the view that next years draft will have its own priorities, and that first round receivers fail with a depressing frequency.

So we will see.
After the abysmal experience of playing the NYG in NFCC game with only one WR(CRbs), I believe Coach H and Trent made it a point to have a gang of 6 or 7 receivers(WRs and TEs) all of which are capable of catching a ball, and are very good at it. Relying on one guy just doesn't cut it. I see our 2 TE set as being hell on wheels for Ds, in that both guys are capable of doing anything. And you know JH and TB got Patton, Lockette, and Vance to be sure we had not only plenty of receivers, but we had extras. Finally I see a lot more of LMJ being thrown to in backfield and then let the D see if they can catch him. My guess is he will be like Reggie bush, and Sproles....really tough guys to catch once they have the ball.
  • buck
  • Veteran

Yes, the next draft is a long, long way from now. It will be interesting to how Baalke handles the draft next year.

It does look like wide receiver will be a major need in the coming year. But, as we know, what appears to be true today frequently is not what is true in a year. So, whether we like it or not, we will have to see how the 2013 season unfolds, before we will actually know what our needs will be.

So far Baalke has only had four drafts. In four drafts, Baalke has drafted 26 players. He has drafted four wide receivers. He has used one first round pick, one fourth round pick, and two sixth round picks on wide receivers.

2013 Quinton Patton 6-2 195 4.48 4th
2012 AJ Jenkins 6-0 199 4.37 1st
2011 Ronald Johnson 5-11 195 4.46 6th
2010 Kyle Williams 5-10 188 4.40 6th

Of the four wide receiver picks, only one, Ronald Johnson, can conceivably be labeled a bust. And I really do not think we can classify a sixth round pick as a bust, but I am not going to spend my time arguing about that. But, if you are willing to argue that Ronald Johnson, a sixth round pick, is a bust, what grade would you give Kyle Williams, another sixth round pick.
If we are serious in our attempts to evaluate Baalke's other wide receiver picks, we must concede that, whether we like it or not, we do not have the requisite information to make that evaluation. We clearly cannot rationally judge the Quinton Patton pick, and even though the pick of AJ Jenkins does appear to a major mistake, labeling him a bust after only year in league would be at best, flat out stupid.

Luckily, we will have a year to continue evaluating AJ Jenkins, Ricardo Lockette, Quinton Patton et al before the next draft.

If we know anything about NFL teams and how they function, we know that 49ers have already begun looking at and evaluating players for future drafts. When the scouts go to games, when they go through the game tape, and when they talk to coaching staffs, they do not focus solely on players for the upcoming draft.

If Baalke, Harbaugh, and the scouting staff are only now beginning to identify possible franchise players, I will buy you ( the generic you) a drink.

But, to get that drink, someone will have to provide me with credible evidence, not mere suppositions and innuendos.
My offer is good until the next draft.
[ Edited by buck on May 26, 2013 at 11:54 AM ]

I think a lot of us get your point but so what? Yes, Julio Jones is better than AJ Jenkins at this point. So what? Megatron is better than Crabtree and the team might not be able to sign Crabtree. So what? Would I like to have Megatron and Jones on the team? Sure, wouldn't anyone? But it's not realistic. And it's also not realistic to have one of the highest priced defenses in the league and also have one of the highest price receivers AND one of the highest price QB's. People need to get into the real world. Building and managing an NFL team is a complicated thing - it's not as simple as "hey, let's get ourselves a Julio Jones and then we'll be fine."

Do you play Madden? Just wondering.

I don't know if you've noticed, but the most successful QB's don't have receivers like Megatron and Julio Jones. The most successful ones like Rodgers, Brady, Brees and the Mannings have nice groups of receivers who are productive, but not necessarily superstars.

http://www.thepunctuationguide.com/question-mark.html

There is no space at the end!!!!

ARGH it's been driving me crazy.
[ Edited by NickSh49 on May 26, 2013 at 1:44 PM ]
I have no problem trading up for a top talent at wide reciever. You take the best players, period. You aren't going to go into a draft worrying about what you have to pay a linebacker in a few years, you go in worrying about getting the best talent there is. Eventually, if you keep picking talented players then you will have to choose who goes and who stays for a contract. It's all part of the business. Doesn't mean you don't trade up for a guy who will someday command a huge pay day though. If he's a star from his rookie year on, then you can atleast have him for 5 years before deciding on a huge contract. If he holds out, that hurts him more then the talented team itself.

At the same time, I would trade up for a shut down corner over a dominant wide reciever. That could change our defense substanstially.
Originally posted by NickSh49:
[url=http://www.thepunctuationguide.com/question-mark.html]http://www.thepunctuationguide.com/question-mark.html[/url]

Dude!!

Or perhaps I should say dude !!!

Dude!!

Dude ?

• buck
  • Veteran

Dude!!

We all have our pet peeves, and they do drive us crazy.

Sometimes, it is good to vent.

edit: And I misspelled peaves (now corrected).
We all, or at least most of us make mistakes with the language and while these mistakes are irritating, they not major.

In fact, given the frequency of language errors, I would guess, and it is only a guess, that he is not a native speaker of English.
That belief may be false, but it makes it easier for me to focus on the content of his arguments.
[ Edited by buck on May 26, 2013 at 3:06 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Rascal,

Have you seen this thread.

Wide Receiver Class of 2014

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/173357-wide-receiver-class-2014/
Originally posted by buck:

Dude!!

We all have our pet peeves, and they do drive us crazy.

Sometimes, it is good to vent.

edit: And I misspelled peaves (now corrected).
We all, or at least most of us make mistakes with the language and while these mistakes are irritating, they not major.

In fact, given the frequency of language errors, I would guess, and it is only a guess, that he is not a native speaker of English.
That belief may be false, but it makes it easier for me to focus on the content of his arguments.

Fine, I'll be nice.

But he DID call me son.