There are 150 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is It Time To Identify A Franchise WR ?

Originally posted by Rascal:
Originally posted by buck:
I maybe wrong, but the thread seems to assume that we have not been looking for a franchise wide receiver.

Asking the question Is it time to identify a franchise wide receiver seems to indicate that the team has not been attempting to do that.

Although in fact, we do not know if the team has identified such as wide receiver, but was unable to draft him.

It is the off season, and the thread surely has its value. No harm, no foul.

I don't know whether we have attempted to before or not. I guess my point is bottomline we don't have that guy right now. We don't have our own version of Megatron or Julio Jones. That is what I am hoping we can attain.

My sense is that this post is based upon negative assumptions about the quality of our front office.

Your response to another poster (quoted below) seems to confirm my sense.

I am not saying is "simple" or "easy" per se. The point is if Detroit can land Megatron or Atlanta can find a Julio Jones, surely the 9ers can do the same unless our talent evaluation capability is somewhat below par.

That is perhaps something we need to look into. Sometimes, I do get a feeling that Baalke gets a little cute with some of the picks at times, case in point AJ Jenkins. Sometimes, great players are exactly that and will be both rated high and projected to be drafted high. You don't always have to prove a point by going against the grain. Julio Jones was rated and projected to be drafted high and that was what happened and he is easily a top 5 wideout now.

No matter what, there is always going to be a level of risks involved in any high draft whether his name is Julio Jones or Eric Reid. There are no 2 ways about it, you just have to make the call and go for it. That was what the Rams did this year, traded all the way up to 8th to get Tavon Austin. As the saying goes, no risk no gain. You just can't get away with it, it comes with the territory.

Apparently, you think Baalke gets too cute or that our talent evaluation is below par.

Like anyone you are entitled to your own opinion and your assumptions, but, and correct me if I am wrong, based upon your years of experience in publicity you quite vigorously predicted that a disaster when the team granted the stadium naming rights to Levi Strauss, because the company had a deal with Russel Wilson.

Contrary to your expert opinion, that predicted disaster has not occurred, and it does not appear that it will occur.

What weight exactly do think your opinion should be given when you evaluate a professional in another field when you do not have the information or facts required to make such an evaluation.

But, like I said, you are entitled to your opinion and assumptions. I have mine.

Baalke may have blown the Jenkins pick, but he has made many more good picks than bad.
Even if he blew the Jenkins pick, there is no credible evidence he did so because he was being too cute.

I don't know what your problem is. First of all, in response to your post, it is what it is, I simply don't believe we have that person.

As for my conversation with another poster, that is our conversation. It has nothing to do with you. In any case, you need to read his comment, he doesn't seem to believe we are capable of picking that person. Jenkins was a bad pick just like you said it and that was why I used it as an example. Other than that, no offense I don't give a crap whether you think I have the weight to disagree with the FO, plain and simple.
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
What I am saying is to identify that top talent / potential franchise WR then go after him in the draft much like how the Falcons went after Julio Jones and the Lions going after Megatron. Whether their performance translate in the NFL is any matter, but there was no doubt both the Falcons and Lions had franchise WR in mind.

Lions had one the league's worst records so they picked high and had to go with the obvious talent in CJ2K the WR and yes the Falcons did hit on their immensive risk but as a result of throwing away their draft they were left with no running game and no defense. They have recovered nicely because they did well in Free Agency when they scored Gonzalez and now Steven Jackson and they have spent this draft fixing their defense as much as they can yet they are not as complete a team as we are

rascal, just

Matt Ryan has - Julio Jones

Matthew Stafford has - Megatron

Andy Dalton has - AJ Green

How many championships have those guys produced for their teams? You mentioned Jerry Rice - yes, the greatest ever. But, the Niners got two championships before he was ever on the team. Who WAS on the team during those two previous to Rice? Joe Montana, Ronnie Lott, a host of other real good players, a cohesive offensive line system and some very powerful and punishing defenses.

Can we stop pretending that the absence of a Megatron or a Julio Jones is a huge problem? I don't think there has been a receiver like one of those two on any of the last ten winners with the exception of Larry Fitzgerald of the Cardinals, and they didn't win.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo49:
Would you two cut it out.

I think we just did.

Originally posted by GNielsen:
How many championships have those guys produced for their teams? You mentioned Jerry Rice - yes, the greatest ever. But, the Niners got two championships before he was ever on the team. Who WAS on the team during those two previous to Rice? Joe Montana, Ronnie Lott, a host of other real good players, a cohesive offensive line system and some very powerful and punishing defenses.

Can we stop pretending that the absence of a Megatron or a Julio Jones is a huge problem? I don't think there has been a receiver like one of those two on any of the last ten winners with the exception of Larry Fitzgerald of the Cardinals, and they didn't win.

Thank you !
I think the obsession with players like "Megatron" has something to do with playing Madden. I may be wrong, but that's my suspicion.
Originally posted by 60sfan:
Philosophically speaking, Since the managing of the cap is crucial in fielding a good team, I like the biggest part of the 9er budget to go towards, OL, DL, QB and Pass Rushers. I am in the camp of having 3 good receivers vs 1 great receiver. Especially with Kaep. Should he become elite, and I think he will, he will make average receivers good and good receivers great. Without a great QB and OL, it won't matter who your receiver is. This theory should play out this year. We'll see.

I am from an entirely different school of thought. While I agree Kaep will become elite, I wouldn't take that for granted and only give him a half decent receiving corps and expect him to perform miracles.

Well, since we are not going to pick- up an elite receiver this year, we'll see if Kaep improves the receivers we have. Eventually, it's a cap money issue. I wouldn't sell the farm on a WR.
Inconsiquentiale, you just need a bunch of good wr, franchise wr doesn't mean SB. Case in point, the three teams you named and the teams that have won superbowls.

What's in a name? If Kaep gets them the ball is all that matters, beside if you lock in on one player, the QB and other teams will lock in on that person and others will get overlook and underused. That is why I think Crabtree, in the long term will be a blessing in disguise.
The other thing I'd like to point out is that when a team has one super-elite receiver, defenses game-plan around that. Has "Megatron" done any significant damage to the Niners the last few times they've played the Lions? No, he hasn't. And, the only reason Julio Jones did significant damage to the Niners in the playoffs was that the Niners pass rush had dropped off considerably.
Before there are any thoughts of a franchise receiver, guys like Lockette, Jenkins, & Patton will need to develop. Crabtree was the closest thing to one...but he's out, perhaps for the season. The Niners roster and offense is different than most of the teams in the league in that they run a lot...so the notion of a franchise receiver isn't as obvious or maybe even necessary because of it. What's important is our receiving corps gets the job done...the three guys I already mentioned have plenty of talent and it just needs to develop and emerge. With Manningham running and cutting now, his return will be welcome. So, rather than a franchise receiver, I really see the Niners doing it by "committee", so to speak. Nothing wrong with that, it should insure all hands on deck are participating and contributing.
I believe it is folly to search for the next great WR. It seems as if this thread assumes this kind of talent exists. These guys you mention are freaks of nature and are very rare. It's not like were the only team in the league without one of these elite guys. You keep using the same couple names, there is a reason for that. There is only a couple guys like that in the league. We could draft receivers every year near the top of the draft for years and still not find someone similar to these guys. It's too much of a gamble to trade away picks that could solidify the team and keep our cap down, just so you can draft a guy who will eventually leave for more money. Baalke has been drafting receivers every year, he is looking for a top tier guy without having to empty our pockets to get him. In the mean time these receivers are young and talented enough to keep us competitive every year. I don't mean to be so negative, but it just seems like you are so amazed by what the Falcons did with Julio Jones. That was a huge risk and 9/10 your not going to get a Julio Jones caliber player out of the deal.
Rascal has been thoroughly pwned.
Originally posted by GNielsen:

I really hope Patton wins the job. I much prefer a slow WR to a fast one. Jerry Rice, Boldin, Hines Ward, Steve Smith (Giants). These are the slow types of receivers you need to win a Super Bowl. Slow receivers make plays; they are slow so they spend more time in the throwing windows. They have better body control and strength. I can't stand fast receivers. They win the underwear Olympics, but not much else.

Another positive from the Crabtree injury is that he will hopefully be a little bit slower from now on, which obviously means he will be a better player.
[ Edited by BrianGO on May 25, 2013 at 4:54 PM ]
Originally posted by BrianGO:
I really hope Patton wins the job. I much prefer a slow WR to a fast one. Jerry Rice, Boldin, Hines Ward, Steve Smith (Giants). These are the slow types of receivers you need to win a Super Bowl. Slow receivers make plays; they are slow so they spend more time in the throwing windows. They have better body control and strength. I can't stand fast receivers. They win the underwear Olympics, but not much else.

Another positive from the Crabtree injury is that he will hopefully be a little bit slower from now on, which obviously means he will be a better player.

A slow receiver I would prefer the phrase "a physical receiver" highlighting the aspects that made them great not the aspects that they didnt excel at.
After watching his highlight film, I can tell you that Patton does not look slow to me.