There are 80 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is It Time To Identify A Franchise WR ?

In the 80s - we had Jerry Rice.

In the 90s - we had TO.

During both eras, we had 2 legendary franchise QBs in Joe Montana and Steve Young. We now have Kaep and most believe he will be our franchise QB for years to come. I believe is only fitting we arm our future franchise lead-man with a top-grade weapon.

Let's just take a look at what some of the other teams have :

Matt Ryan has - Julio Jones

Matthew Stafford has - Megatron

Andy Dalton has - AJ Green

So, from now and beyond - who do we have ? Is Crab the guy ? If not, is it time to start headhunt for one ?

I think it makes perfect sense to identify such a person. This person shouldn't be just any decent wideout, he needs to be that very special player, a game changer who can make the biggest of plays on demand if you will.

As good as Crab is, I am just not convinced he is the very best that we can find. True, he is a great possession receiver, I just don't see his game being all-rounded enough especially for the deep ball and red zone plays. Besides, there is a possibility we may lose him come contract time anyway as a lot of you have predicted here.

I am beginning to look ahead into future drafts for such a special talent as I don't think that person is within our current receiving corps. No matter who he is, I believe his measurables will have to be top notch :

• Tall - 6'3" +
  • Physical - ideally 220 lbs +

This person will have to be able burn and take the top off double teams. His skill set will need to be multi-faceted, but I believe heavier weighting should be placed on making the bigger and deeper plays.

That is what I have in mind.

What are your thoughts ?
[ Edited by Rascal on May 24, 2013 at 7:34 AM ]
  • kush
  • Veteran
facepalm
I predict that Kaep and his crew will come out this year in the same fashion the 99 Rams did with Warner/Bruce/Holt/Hakim greatest show, except that Kaep got wheels, along with his stable of dynamic backs.

NFL will not have an answer. Mark. My. Words.
[ Edited by verb1der on May 24, 2013 at 7:41 AM ]
Originally posted by kush:
facepalm

This
The only realistic way to get a franchise qb is by drafting dudes and trying to develop them. We won't need to identify him. It will be obvious.
Originally posted by English:
The only realistic way to get a franchise qb is by drafting dudes and trying to develop them. We won't need to identify him. It will be obvious.

That is what I am saying. If AJJ was such an attempt, then I have to admit I am shocked we picked him. When I say "identify", what I mean is to go after what we think is a TOP wideout in a BIG way, much like how the Falcons went after Julio Jones for example. I am yet to see us make such a bold and powerful move so far.
Originally posted by Rascal:

That is what I am saying. If AJJ was such an attempt, then I have to admit I am shocked we picked him. When I say "identify", what I mean is to go after what we think is a TOP wideout in a BIG way, much like how the Falcons went after Julio Jones for example. I am yet to see us make such a bold and powerful move so far.

I confess to being kind of drawn to the idea of having a team of good receivers rather than one great receiver. Yeah it was great having Jerry but losing Crabtree shows what happens when they all go in one basket.

It's a risky business going all-in on unproven college guys. Falcons are lucky Julio Jones worked out. Also, you usually do not even have the opportunity to make such moves when you are picking in the 30s.

Going all-in for 1 guy on draft day is how good teams become bad teams. Not worth it.

Jenkins, Patton, and K. Williams are all talented young WRs that we have drafted recently. I expect that trio to be a solid group for us for a long time. No Megatron or Fitz.... but a solid group.
  • buck
  • Veteran

I am beginning to look ahead into future drafts for such a special talent........No matter who he is, I believe his measurables will have to be top notch :

• Tall - 6'3" +

Jerry Rice would not have meet your elevated standards. Rice was only 6-2 and 188pounds--and ran the 40 in 4.59 or 4.60.

[ Edited by buck on May 24, 2013 at 8:51 AM ]
  • Amir
  • Veteran
yes, lets identify a franchise WR in late may.

I confess to being kind of drawn to the idea of having a team of good receivers rather than one great receiver. Yeah it was great having Jerry but losing Crabtree shows what happens when they all go in one basket.

Yes, but having 1 GREAT WR is not mutually exclusive to not having a decent supporting cast of decent receivers too. Since you brought it up, let's use Jerry Rice as an example, didn't we also have John Taylor ? In other words, it is not a case of either or.

In any case, our current problem with Crab's injury is a result of us being way, way behind on our WR development program. Imagine this, what if the Ravens didn't trade Anquan to us ? We would have been in even deeper sh*t if you will. Honestly, we really got lucky on that one. But, look at the rest of our receiving corps. Crab goes down, all we have left are Mario who is also injured, Kyle recovering and beyond that all green horns with next to no experience. AND the season hasn't even started, what if another guy goes down ? See what I am getting at ? We are simply too thin at the position.
[ Edited by Rascal on May 24, 2013 at 9:12 AM ]
Originally posted by blm7754:

It's a risky business going all-in on unproven college guys. Falcons are lucky Julio Jones worked out. Also, you usually do not even have the opportunity to make such moves when you are picking in the 30s.

Going all-in for 1 guy on draft day is how good teams become bad teams. Not worth it.

Jenkins, Patton, and K. Williams are all talented young WRs that we have drafted recently. I expect that trio to be a solid group for us for a long time. No Megatron or Fitz.... but a solid group.

Picking at 30s is not an issue at all, we always stockpile picks, we can trade up in a BIG way. Didn't we just do that to secure Eric Reid ?

If you are saying that is how good teams become bad teams, then we have a problem cos that was exactly what we did with Eric Reid.

As for Jenkins, Patton and Williams, although is still unknown at this point, I feel is safe to say they are no Julio Jones nor Megatron. What I am saying is let's get 1 super WR, the rest can be supported by such guys.
Originally posted by buck:

I am beginning to look ahead into future drafts for such a special talent........No matter who he is, I believe his measurables will have to be top notch :

• Tall - 6'3" +

Jerry Rice would not have meet your elevated standards. Rice was only 6-2 and 188pounds--and ran the 40 in 4.59 or 4.60.

6'3" + and 220 + is just my personal preference and I am not comparing that to Jerry Rice. If you like smaller receivers, you can state that as your preference too.
We have one. His name is Michael Crabtree. Unfortunately he's going to be out for a while.
Originally posted by TTown9ers:
We have one. His name is Michael Crabtree. Unfortunately he's going to be out for a while.

OK and are you confident the 9ers will be happy to pay him $10-12 mil a year come contract time or do you think they will try to look for a potentially even better wideout to groom in the draft ?