• Veteran
Originally posted by DRUSTOPO:
Sulfuric acid is a pretty dope solution

Guaranteed to lose you some Crabs.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
you sure about that

Nope, I'm not sure of anything. I read that he's signed this season and next season. You read something different?
Originally posted by Wodwo:
you sure about that

Nope, I'm not sure of anything. I read that he's signed this season and next season. You read something different?

I thought it was just season, but I could be wrong.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/matt-maiocco/49ers-mailbag-extension-crabtree

Do you think we end up giving Crabtree an extension before his contract expires? (Joey Gándar) The 49ers have five big-ticket players whose contracts expire after the 2014 season. Wide receiver Michael Crabtree is one of them, but he might be down the list because of the position he plays.

By the way, this is the reason the 49ers are very reluctant to sign any free agents to lucrative, long-term contracts. Any long-term deal they award to someone probably means the 49ers will not be able to keep one of their own young players.
[ Edited by susweel on May 30, 2013 at 11:48 AM ]
you sure about that

Goes out of contract after 2014 season, I believe.
Originally posted by English:
you sure about that

Goes out of contract after 2014 season, I believe.

i was wrong
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/matt-maiocco/49ers-mailbag-extension-crabtree

Do you think we end up giving Crabtree an extension before his contract expires? (Joey Gándar) The 49ers have five big-ticket players whose contracts expire after the 2014 season. Wide receiver Michael Crabtree is one of them, but he might be down the list because of the position he plays.

By the way, this is the reason the 49ers are very reluctant to sign any free agents to lucrative, long-term contracts. Any long-term deal they award to someone probably means the 49ers will not be able to keep one of their own young players.

10/7/2009: Signed a six-year, $32 million contract. The deal contains $17 million guaranteed. Another $8 million is available through incentives. The contract can void to five years based on "unlikely to be earned" Pro Bowl and playing-time triggers. Per one clause in the deal, $15 million of Crabtree's available escalators is contingent on him participating in at least 90% of annual offseason workouts. 2013: $4.5 million (+ $500,000 roster bonus), 2014: $3.5 million (Voidable Year), 2015: Free Agent

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5135/michael-crabtree

Free agent in 2015, so 2014 is his contract year. Yeah?
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
i was wrong

I'd still PM you.
Originally posted by NCommand:
I would love to see us use James in a Sproles type of role, but I think that's a pipe dream based on the offense we run.

What surprises me most about the 9ers offense is that we never run screen plays, ever! With our line being so athletic, you would figure one or two here and there would certain slow down the pass rush a little. Never see us do it though, we hardly ever throw it to the backs period.

Gore - 28
Miller - 12
Hunter - 9
James - 3

Not sure why that's the case since Gore is a great pass catcher. Plus getting Hunter and James in space with the ball could both be deadly weapons. Looking back on the 09 and 10 seasons at Stanford though, neither Gerhart (11) or Taylor (28) caught many balls.

Unless there is a great shift in offensive philosophy, I do not think we can expect our backs to be major contributors in the pass game. The more likely scenario if Patton, Jenkins or Lockette do not emerge as a reliable deep threat opposite Boldin ( I have SUPREME confidence one will emerge, but lets talk worst case ), that we will see a large % increase in a Stanford style, 3 TE / 1 WR formation. VD would play the part of the #1 option ( Fleener ), McDonald would play the part of the Red Zone threat ( Ertz ) and Celek would be the blocking TE that catches some passes ( Reuland ). We would run a ton out of this formation, but would still be a threat with play action.

In my humble opinion though, I think AJ or Lockette emerges on the outside, Patton or Williams emerges in the slot and Boldin keeps on being the #1 option like he was in Baltimore all last year, how'd that end up for them??? Throw in VD and McDonald dominating the hashes and our passing attack will collectively put up better numbers than last year..helps my argument to have an improving Kaep firing rockets for 16 games.

Oh and then we get Manningham back at the end of the year and possibly Crabs for the playoffs.

Cant wait to see the young guys mix it up in camp. The reports have been great so far!

http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/matt-maiocco/young-receivers-seek-counsel-asomugha-boldin

Absolutely spot on! Well said/great post...totally agree.

I subscribe to this opinion as well and you forgot to mention Cam Morrah, who IF healthy had some success as a receiving TE.

The real test will be when the pads come on and which of these raw young receivers can get off the jam from press coverage.
40 Times of our WR options: (not suggesting its the only thing that matters, its just quantifiable)
-Lockette 4.34
-AJ 4.37 (supposed clocked as low as 4.31 by the niners)
-Williams 4.43
-Moore 4.49
-Patton 4.53
-Hall 4.56
-Manningham 4.59

So really if AJ or Lockette can learn how to beat a Jam and catch the ball then this offense can be wide open. But if they get shut down, then the offense could turn into a heavy TE small quick WR offense similar to New England... they have no viable outside receivers and molded their offense to attack the middle of the field rather than the sidelines.
i was wrong

I'd still PM you.

thank you sir
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
i was wrong

I'd still PM you.

thank you sir

i was wrong

I'd still PM you.

thank you sir

Shame about the face
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
Shame about the face

I'd totally eat that face.
Sulfuric acid is a pretty dope solution

Guaranteed to lose you some Crabs.

LOL..indeed
Originally posted by 5280High:
I would love to see us use James in a Sproles type of role, but I think that's a pipe dream based on the offense we run.

What surprises me most about the 9ers offense is that we never run screen plays, ever! With our line being so athletic, you would figure one or two here and there would certain slow down the pass rush a little. Never see us do it though, we hardly ever throw it to the backs period.

Gore - 28
Miller - 12
Hunter - 9
James - 3

Not sure why that's the case since Gore is a great pass catcher. Plus getting Hunter and James in space with the ball could both be deadly weapons. Looking back on the 09 and 10 seasons at Stanford though, neither Gerhart (11) or Taylor (28) caught many balls.

Unless there is a great shift in offensive philosophy, I do not think we can expect our backs to be major contributors in the pass game. The more likely scenario if Patton, Jenkins or Lockette do not emerge as a reliable deep threat opposite Boldin ( I have SUPREME confidence one will emerge, but lets talk worst case ), that we will see a large % increase in a Stanford style, 3 TE / 1 WR formation. VD would play the part of the #1 option ( Fleener ), McDonald would play the part of the Red Zone threat ( Ertz ) and Celek would be the blocking TE that catches some passes ( Reuland ). We would run a ton out of this formation, but would still be a threat with play action.

In my humble opinion though, I think AJ or Lockette emerges on the outside, Patton or Williams emerges in the slot and Boldin keeps on being the #1 option like he was in Baltimore all last year, how'd that end up for them??? Throw in VD and McDonald dominating the hashes and our passing attack will collectively put up better numbers than last year..helps my argument to have an improving Kaep firing rockets for 16 games.

Oh and then we get Manningham back at the end of the year and possibly Crabs for the playoffs.

Cant wait to see the young guys mix it up in camp. The reports have been great so far!

http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/matt-maiocco/young-receivers-seek-counsel-asomugha-boldin

I subscribe to this opinion as well and you forgot to mention Cam Morrah, who IF healthy had some success as a receiving TE.

The real test will be when the pads come on and which of these raw young receivers can get off the jam from press coverage.
40 Times of our WR options: (not suggesting its the only thing that matters, its just quantifiable)
-Lockette 4.34
-Williams 4.43
-Moore 4.49
-Patton 4.53
-Hall 4.56
-Manningham 4.59

So really if AJ or Lockette can learn how to beat a Jam and catch the ball then this offense can be wide open. But if they get shut down, then the offense could turn into a heavy TE small quick WR offense similar to New England... they have no viable outside receivers and molded their offense to attack the middle of the field rather than the sidelines.

As of (right now) for my 53, this is who I have: post #245 http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/171861-team-needs-updates/page17/#post245

WR (5): X = A.J. Jenkins/Ricardo Lockette Y = Quinton Patton/Kyle Williams Z = Anquan Boldin; Mario Manningham & Michael Crabtree (PUP) - Marlon Moore is right on that bubble; he can be a gunner with his speed on ST, return some and even provide that deep threat as well. Chad Hall, Joe Hastings, Chuck Jacobs all gone. Manningham is brought along slowly.

TE (3): Vernon Davis, Vance McDonald and MarQueis Gray (H-back) - Cameron Morrah and Garrett Celek are gone.

Great points. I thought long and hard about Cameron Morrah as well...and Marlon Moore. I agree that if we don't develop that outside threat, we will see more 2 TE sets, more guys lining up next to CK from the Q formation and using more Boldin/McDonald from the slot...sort of a between-the-hashmarks offense. Power running mixed in with 2 dominant TE's and a chain-mover in Boldin.
Originally posted by 5280High:

Gore - 28
Miller - 12
Hunter - 9
James - 3

-Lockette 4.34
-Williams 4.43
-Moore 4.49
-Patton 4.53
-Hall 4.56
-Manningham 4.59

Just some food for thought since its the slow part of the offseason....Boldin's counterpart in the Raven's offense.

Torrey Smith - 6'0 - 205lbs
4.43 Forty

Torrey had 50 and 49 catches his first two years. Those do not seem like impossible numbers for the bigger faster Lockette or the same sized, but faster AJ. HOWEVER, we can't just compare height weight and speed, if that was the case..Rice, Bruce, Holt and Wayne would have sucked and Qadry Ismail would have broken every WR record. Still, with no big league experience, its all we have at the moment. Forget catches though, the harder numbers to match are the 17 yard AVG and 8 TD's. It would be nothing short of a miracle if any of them did that.

You are spot on with getting off press coverage, I think having a big CB like Nnamdi to replicate what Sherman and Browner can do will go a long way in their development. The article I posted above made me smile reading not only the Nnamdi part, but the attention to detail they are showing with the route running. Being able to hide your cards is huge for a WR. With an excellent route runner like Boldin giving tips, there should be no excuses for a lack of development this summer. All three seem like they have their heads in the game. Can't wait to see who wants it more!!!! GOTTA LOVE IT!!!
[ Edited by DRUSTOPO on May 30, 2013 at 1:56 PM ]