There are 270 users in the forums

Solution(s) to losing Crabs

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by kray28:
Harbaugh needs to answer for how this happened. What kinds of drills are they running this far out?

Not sure if serious.

This is football, s**t happens. Unfortunately.
Originally posted by ninerfan818:
I remember many miner fans thought Lloyd sucked. He was good with the Patriors once he had a legit QB. If we could snag him. Get it done.

We had our reasons. He was more interested in his bling than practicing, but mainly it was that he had alligator arms and wouldn't go over the middle. He just wouldn't extend for a pass if he thought he was going to get hit. If he's grown up and beyond that now, good for him. If I saw him give up his body to get a reception, I'd have a different opinion. Because, I agree that he has not good, but great hands. He's a human highlight reel.
Originally posted by SportsFan:
Originally posted by kray28:
Harbaugh needs to answer for how this happened. What kinds of drills are they running this far out?

Not sure if serious.

This is football, s**t happens. Unfortunately.

It was nothing out of the ordinary - just a standard 7 on 7 drill that everybody does every year.
Takes us from Super Bowl favorite to solid playoff team. guys need to step the F up
Originally posted by theduke85:
I think they almost have to make a play for a free agent receiver like Lloyd. Regardless of your confidence level in Williams or Manningham, you can't ignore the fact that neither of them are going to be ready to start the season. And even after they come back, who knows if they'll make it make back to full strength right away?

Effectively, the 49ers have three locks to make the roster at WR: Boldin, Jenkins and Patton. You can't go into the season with those guys as your top 3 receivers... that's just crazy.

Here's my guess: someone restructures their contract and we sign Lloyd to a one-year deal. Or sign him to a deal and then cut him after one year.

Really don't see the need to throw in some old, over the hill wide receiver to take snaps from the younger guys. It doesn't make much sense to me, Boldin is an accomplished veteran, AJ Jenkins by all accounts has been getting after it like a maniac this offseason and looks the part, he's a top talent who was a tremendous college talent, if he puts it all together, he's by far a better option than anyone else the 49ers could bring in. Patton is a similar receiver to Crabtree in terms of his general game, he's a guy who's good for YAC, has glue-like hands, is a heady, smart player, a terrific run blocker with a ton of potential and is arguably far more ready to be an instant contributor than Jenkins was last year. Williams and Manningham both have veteran experience, they'll both be back and contributing sooner rather than later, and then you have an unknown guy in Lockette who could end up beasting or getting cut.....don't really see the urgency to bring someone that will hinder the development of both Jenkins and Patton.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on May 22, 2013 at 5:07 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninerfan818:
Originally posted by ziggy_gonna_rock:
Brandon Loyd
Good hands.

I remember many miner fans thought Lloyd sucked. He was good with the Patriors once he had a legit QB. If we could snag him. Get it done.

Does anyone remember why the Patriots let him go?

edit: sorry posted it before I could add the following.

Not sure we should sign him. Here an excerpt from an article.

"Lloyd was productive for the Patriots last season with 74 catches for 911 yards and four touchdowns, but he was very inconsistent on the field as far as staying on his feet, fighting for the ball, and developing a rapport with quarterback Tom Brady.

He also was a handful in the locker room and on the practice field with his at-times difficult personality. His erratic behavior included days of being moody or surly, and if he didn't want to engage in a conversation, he would simply walk away, whether it was from a teammate or a reporter."

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2013/03/16/aqib-talib-returns-patriots-brandon-lloyd-released/6b2P44NHStxkUQ22UjNWPN/story.html

We do not need any problems in the locker room.
[ Edited by buck on May 22, 2013 at 5:19 PM ]
Originally posted by Allx9er:
Originally posted by GNielsen:
An "old dude??!!!" Please. That "old dude" led all receivers in yardage, receptions and td's in the playoffs. Flacco totally leaned on him. He's nails.

i didnt say the garbage old dude , just said old dude. im hoping boldin is gonna be great in the clutch and a damn good chain mover, im not expecting him to to be top 10 in YAC or a explosive play maker. kaep is gonna have to lean on him to now.

Boldin was a little bit a product of the Ravens' receiving core last year. Yeah, he's physical and savvy vet, but playing with Torrey Smith --one of the faster receiver in the league -- and Jacoby Jones helps. I don't see that we have the same receiver level of talent as the Ravens, so I don't expect Boldin to have the same success as a Niner. It's easier to take away Boldin when defenses don't have to worry about Torrey Smith or Jones.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Boldin was a little bit a product of the Ravens' receiving core last year. Yeah, he's physical and savvy vet, but playing with Torrey Smith --one of the faster receiver in the league -- and Jacoby Jones helps. I don't see that we have the same receiver level of talent as the Ravens, so I don't expect Boldin to have the same success as a Niner. It's easier to take away Boldin when defenses don't have to worry about Torrey Smith or Jones.

Let's hope that by the start of the regular season, defenses figure they need to worry about AJ Jenkins, Patton, Lockettte, V Davis or K Williams. How, for example, does a safety help a corner deal with Boldin if Davis is sprinting down the middle?
Originally posted by buck:
Does anyone remember why the Patriots let him go?

Wasn't really all that productive for them, his best game by far was against the 49ers, otherwise he was really inconsistent, looked like he had lost a step, not an eager run blocker, could make extraordinary catches look ordinary but ordinary catches look extraordinary....ie......diving for a pass that he didn't need to dive for, as a result winding up getting tagged down at the spot of the catch when he could have run for another 10-15 yards........he was not a threat to run much after the catch either. He's got a solid pair of hands and I wouldn't be upset to see the 49ers bring him in, but I don't think that they NEED him with the other talent on the roster.
Originally posted by nj9er:
Any cap casualties looming for June 1st? Don't think June 1st cuts have the same bearing as they once did.

Nate Washington of the Titans is a possibility, underrated deep threat, led Tennessee in receiving the past two seasons.

• JD81
  • Veteran
AJ Jenkins is the solution. Just watch.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by Allx9er:
Originally posted by GNielsen:
An "old dude??!!!" Please. That "old dude" led all receivers in yardage, receptions and td's in the playoffs. Flacco totally leaned on him. He's nails.

i didnt say the garbage old dude , just said old dude. im hoping boldin is gonna be great in the clutch and a damn good chain mover, im not expecting him to to be top 10 in YAC or a explosive play maker. kaep is gonna have to lean on him to now.

no. The ravens receiving core was a product of Boldin. Not the other way around.
Originally posted by JD81:

Yes! He's going to be the deep threat.
You just don't loose crabs. They won't go away on their own but when you do get rid of them you have to be careful who you sleep with.
Originally posted by JD81:

Either him, Patton, or Lockette are going to have to step up. Manningham and Williams are solid, but coming off injuries. Jenkins being a first round pick, is going to have to play at least as good as a #2 WR. The positive in this is that Boldin won't be a HUGE drop off from Crabtree. Now if we can get Jenkins playing like Torrey Smith, we should be coo.
Share 49ersWebzone