There are 282 users in the forums

The Niners Mt. Rushmore

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Rice, Montana, Lott and Walsh
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by Mankster:
Montana - Lott - Walsh - Eddie

No Rice... c'mon man. He may be the best NFL player ever.

Yes but who do you take off? Montana, best clutch qb, best playoffs qb, best WC offense qb? Lott, possibly the best player on D ever, beating heart of the Niner D, CB and safety? Eddie, maybe the best owner ever?

OK we need a bigger mountain.

Obviously not easy, but Lott is a top 5 defensive player ever, not the best defensive player ever. Lott wasn't as feared as LT.

It can be argued that Rice is the best player ever, regardless of position.

And Walsh was a true innovator and one of the best 3 coaches ever. And Eddie was the mastermind behind the scenes...

I hope this is a joke. Rice may be the greatest football player of all time.
Originally posted by English:

No Rice... c'mon man. He may be the best NFL player ever.

Yes but who do you take off? Montana, best clutch qb, best playoffs qb, best WC offense qb? Lott, possibly the best player on D ever, beating heart of the Niner D, CB and safety? Eddie, maybe the best owner ever?

OK we need a bigger mountain.

Obviously not easy, but Lott is a top 5 defensive player ever, not the best defensive player ever. Lott wasn't as feared as LT.

It can be argued that Rice is the best player ever, regardless of position.

And Walsh was a true innovator and one of the best 3 coaches ever. And Eddie was the mastermind behind the scenes...

We could argue about LT vs Lott. It certainly isn't as clear cut as you think. The fear LT produced was a factor as much of the position he played.

As I said, Lott, possibly the best defensive player ever.

I just don't think 4 does it. The absolute minimum is 5.
Nate Davis, Curtis Conway, Otis Amey, Mike Rumph
Originally posted by TruNinerFan:

I totally understand what you're saying, but...no joke. To me, this is about who was the most important in the team's history. Jerry is my "fifth" head on the Mountain.

Joe (cause he's the greatest and did it with and without Rice), Lott (cause he was the heart of the defense), Walsh (the grand master), and Eddie (who built it).

Now...if you want to leave owners off the list...put Rice in. No questions asked.

- just my humble opinion -
Debartolo, Walsh, Montana, Rice......this shouldnt even be a debate.....The Start, The Brains, The Perfect Piece, and The Greatest Ever.....
Originally posted by 80849er4life:
Debartolo, Walsh, Montana, Rice......this shouldnt even be a debate.....The Start, The Brains, The Perfect Piece, and The Greatest Ever.....

I could live with your line-up.

What's amazing is that we could have a SECOND and THIRD set that would be the envy of many franchises.

Young - Lott - Craig - Haley
Y.A. Tittle - Dave Wilcox - Joe Perry - Fred Dean
Brodie - Brent Jones - Freddie Solomon - Garrison Hearst

...and we haven't even talked about today's players!!
Kaepernick - Gore - Willis - J.Smith
[ Edited by Mankster on May 22, 2013 at 11:16 AM ]
Walsh...Montana...Rice...Lott...that's the list. In that order.

The first three are without question. For the newbs understand that Lott is the best safety to play the game, possibly the best DB (check his time spent at CB) and on the short list of best defensive players of all time.

Young cannot make the list because he's not even the franchise's best QB! And I like Young...a lot.

Originally posted by StOnEy333:

Absolutely perfect!
Originally posted by ArmchairQB:

Absolutely perfect!

Nice!

Originally posted by TruNinerFan:

I totally understand what you're saying, but...no joke. To me, this is about who was the most important in the team's history. Jerry is my "fifth" head on the Mountain.

Joe (cause he's the greatest and did it with and without Rice), Lott (cause he was the heart of the defense), Walsh (the grand master), and Eddie (who built it).

Now...if you want to leave owners off the list...put Rice in. No questions asked.

- just my humble opinion -

Ronnie Lott might not even be the best player to play his position in the history of football.

Jerry Rice, however, is probably the best player to play his position in the history of the game... AND possibly the greatest player of all time.

Not even a question. Rice >>> Lott
Originally posted by IWASATTHECATCH:

Just FYI to errbody, IWAS... made this years ago.
Share 49ersWebzone