There are 176 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Will 2014 be Crabtree's last season as a Niner?

Will 2014 be Crabtree's last season as a Niner?

Originally posted by 60sfan:
Like Tom Brady, Crabtree wants to play for his Childhood favorite team. Book it!

Opposing voice: Michael CrabtreeSeptember, 17, 20119/17/11
10:30
AM CT

RECOMMEND0TWEET6COMMENTS1EMAILPRINT
IRVING, Texas -- Michael Crabtree used to work the concession stands at Texas Stadium, growing up. Well, working might be a stretch. "I was watching the games," Crabtree said. "I pretty much let my mom do all that. I was watching the games. I'd find somebody's open seat and I was watching the games. Going down there, stealing Michael Irvin's towel and the next weekend wearing it to my games." Sunday Crabtree, the Carter High School grad and San Francisco wide receiver, will play his first game against his former favorite team when the Cowboys visit Candlestick Park.

What does the word "former" mean in the last sentence? And has Brady played for his childhood team? So why should we book it?

Other posters: keep the heat down.
Is wrong to say I hope so? I cheer for him every sunday but personally can't stand him. When your idol is deion there is a problem.
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Need4Speed:
Is wrong to say I hope so? I cheer for him every sunday but personally can't stand him. When your idol is deion there is a problem.

I bet you don't even know him personally lol.
We have so many great WRs guys, if he leaves we will be ready!!!!!! Also don't forget about the Davis-McDonald duo that is going to be busting the seams out of peoples defenses this year
It is definitely an interesting question. I don't know that any of us have a clue on what is in MC's mind. Has he always wanted out of SF? or is he bought in and happy here now? Is he still about the almighty dollar? or is he more happy with the winning culture of SF?

I really don't know or have a strong gut feeling. It wouldn't surprise me either way, but to be honest, I am not sure I care that much. I think he has turned into a very solid starter in recent years.. but I don't think of him as an irreplaceable WR. I also don't know that the money we'd have to pay him wouldn't be better served in going to another player.. like Aldon or maybe Kaep.
Originally posted by 60sfan:
Like Tom Brady, Crabtree wants to play for his Childhood favorite team. Book it!

Opposing voice: Michael CrabtreeSeptember, 17, 20119/17/11
10:30
AM CT

RECOMMEND0TWEET6COMMENTS1EMAILPRINT
IRVING, Texas -- Michael Crabtree used to work the concession stands at Texas Stadium, growing up. Well, working might be a stretch. "I was watching the games," Crabtree said. "I pretty much let my mom do all that. I was watching the games. I'd find somebody's open seat and I was watching the games. Going down there, stealing Michael Irvin's towel and the next weekend wearing it to my games." Sunday Crabtree, the Carter High School grad and San Francisco wide receiver, will play his first game against his former favorite team when the Cowboys visit Candlestick Park.
Uh, Tom Brady's favorite team growing up was the 49ers. He's from San Mateo, 20 min from Candlestick. He watched Joe then Steve growing up. But, that said, I think Crabtree is leaving...if he has an epic year. He's nearing his contract to he'll work extra hard. He's gone.
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
What a dumb question
Crabs is a little better than average. I personally don't care if he goes or stays. If e wants top $$$ then kick rocks...
I don't think they'll be able to sign him, but I don't think it's because he'll want to play for Dallas. Lots of players never get to play for their childhood favorite team. Tom Brady has been mentioned and he's a great example. Aaron Rodgers was Niner fan. Joe Montana was a huge Steelers fan growing up. Jerry Rice loved the Saints as a kid. These guys a pros. Crabtree will be offered a huge contract somewhere else and the Niners won't be able to compete - that's my feeling. The Niners have a list and he's the third or fourth priority on that list. I'm pretty sure Kaepernick and Iupati are above him on the list and they're going to cost serious money. I think the Niner organization is probably hoping they can develop Quinton Patton to be an active, aggressive, good-hands possession receiver like they have in Crabtree.
Originally posted by allhype:
Crabs is a little better than average. I personally don't care if he goes or stays. If e wants top $$$ then kick rocks...

I'm not sure why anyone would think Crabtree is "a little better than average." He plays on an offense that stresses the run and only 10 receivers had more TD's. He was one of only 14 receivers to have over 1,100 yards. He was 5th in the league in yards after the catch. And, he had 57 first down catches - 13th in the league - again, on a team that stresses the run.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
I don't think they'll be able to sign him, but I don't think it's because he'll want to play for Dallas. Lots of players never get to play for their childhood favorite team. Tom Brady has been mentioned and he's a great example. Aaron Rodgers was Niner fan. Joe Montana was a huge Steelers fan growing up. Jerry Rice loved the Saints as a kid. These guys a pros. Crabtree will be offered a huge contract somewhere else and the Niners won't be able to compete - that's my feeling. The Niners have a list and he's the third or fourth priority on that list. I'm pretty sure Kaepernick and Iupati are above him on the list and they're going to cost serious money. I think the Niner organization is probably hoping they can develop Quinton Patton to be an active, aggressive, good-hands possession receiver like they have in Crabtree.

Maybe you are right but my initial impression of Patton is that he lacks the physicality of MC15 as far as blocking, breaking tackles for YAC and just in overall toughness. A couple of offseasons from now and he might but this doesn't seem to be the case now. I think Patton can be a fine receiver but not quite as tough as MC15. Now with potentially 6 picks in the top 100 next draft I am sure we can add to our receiving core with AJ and Quinton as core pieces and I would not rule out a 2 year extention for Boldin if he plays well and we get nowhere with Crabtree this summer.

There are a lot of vets that we might cut pay or cut bait on to make room for and keep our younger stars. Rogers, J smith, Whitner, Boldin, Goodwin are all older players that are highly compensated and will get decreases in pay to make room so we can't rule out the fact that we may retain our number 1 receiver.

I also think that MC15 has grown to love the 49ers and is keen to the idea of playing with Kaep for years to come. I think the reason he is busting tail this season is because both he and his agent know that we tend to extend our core players the year prior to their contract year and he is hoping to force us to do just that with him the summer of 2014. Otherwise he could simply make this effort in year 6 to set up his free agency.

If we can meet his price we keep him and extend him this summer, if not....??
Originally posted by GNielsen:
I'm not sure why anyone would think Crabtree is "a little better than average." He plays on an offense that stresses the run and only 10 receivers had more TD's. He was one of only 14 receivers to have over 1,100 yards. He was 5th in the league in yards after the catch. And, he had 57 first down catches - 13th in the league - again, on a team that stresses the run.

The more I think about it the harder it will be for us to part with a number 1 draft pick even though it was McCloughan that selected him. This is part of what we do. Draft em, develop em, and extend em. No need for some other team to reap the benefits our our hard work in caring for his broken foot since he was drafted, showing him the pro game and developing him into a blue collar player, then watching him blossom this last season culminating in a Super Bowl run. Now that he is established and entering his prime we let some other team get him. I would rather we try to keep this weapon for Kaep. I know the contract will be tough but I am hoping both sides can get a good deal
Originally posted by English:
What does the word "former" mean in the last sentence? And has Brady played for his childhood team? So why should we book it?

Other posters: keep the heat down.

The point is that Brady always wanted to play for the 49ers just like Crabtree wanted to play for the Cowboys. Difference is, Brady is loyal and has made allowances in the past with his salary to keep a good team together. Crabtree won't.
Crabs isn't going anyplace. They will resign him
@Pillbusta:

Don't get me wrong. I would love for them to retain him. I think he's one of the top receivers in the game. He plays on a team that doesn't throw as much as a lot of other teams and he still puts up good numbers. I just don't think they'll be able to come up with the money he will demand and I don't see him as the kind of player who will be open to a "home-town discount." I think he goes with the money and I don't hold that against him at all. I hope I'm wrong.