LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 239 users in the forums

Will 2014 be Crabtree's last season as a Niner?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Will 2014 be Crabtree's last season as a Niner?

• fryet
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GNielsen:
I guess it's just a matter of opinion. I'm pretty old-school on this - I actually think a cohesive, powerful offensive line is a more important aspect of the offense than any single receiver unless he's truly extraordinary. One of the reasons why Brady has gotten away with so many different receivers is that they kept his O-line in tact for so many seasons. Crabtree is a very good possession receiver, but I'm just not sure he's as hard to replace as a freak like Iupati. They may think they've already got a potential replacement in Quinton Patton. And look at how they were able to snag Boldin - good possession receivers are around and usually available in free agency as well for less money than Crabtree is going to demand. Bottom line is I'd also like to keep them both and I hope they work it out. My suspicion, though, is that it's going to be harder to retain Crabtree than it will be to retain Iupati.

If Crabtree consistently gets 1000 yards, I don't care how he does it. Boldin is on the decline, so that is how they got him. As for our rookies panning out, I certainly hope they do, but I think the bust potential of WR is much higher than Guards. Also, as we saw with Jenkins, drafting a WR in the 1st doesn't guarantee that they will start effectively for our team in the first year, but drafting a guard in the 1st most likely does. I like Iupati, but I think it will be easier to find a decent replacement for him.
Originally posted by fryet:
Originally posted by Disp:
The problem is that the 49ers have too much money tied up in their OL.

I don't think anyone expects Goodwin to be back after the year, so that's $4mil. less that's going into the line. Other than that Staley is making $5mil/yr and Boone is making nothing. We really don't have much tied up in our line beyond next year. I would definitely rather have Iupati than Crabtree. An elite line allows the team to do so much more offensively both running and passing. Receivers seem like they're going the way of running backs where they're a dime a dozen for pretty decent players and don't need to be drafted real high other than the freaks like Calivon Johnson and Julio Jones.

They just signed Anthony Davis to a new contract. Staley keeps going to the Pro Bowl so his next contract will probably be higher. Unless I am mistaken, I think Boone makes respectable money as well.

When you have a dominant O-line you win a lot of games, so I for one am okay with spending lavishly on linemen. I think Loony or Kilgore are the future at center, they will be cheaper than Goodwin.
Originally posted by 60sfan:
The Niners are preparing to [b]not have him. Smartly so. He really wants the money. He wants to play for Dallas and Jerry Jones will pay him. He will have a great year this season, then will be traded. Maybe for a first rounder. JJ might do it. Guaranteed, our wide receiver core will be top notch in the future.

I am in the camp that we keep a great offensive line together vs keeping a star receiver. I believe that Kaep with a strong offensive line will start to make mediocre receivers good and good receivers, great a la Brady and Manning. OL, DL, QB and Pass Rushers are the priority when it comes to money spent. I think Crabtree will have a phenomenal season in '13, but make no mistake about it, without a great performance from our OL and QB, it doesn't happen. If he wants the big contract, smart money trades him for a 1st rounder after this next season.
Originally posted by 60sfan:
I am in the camp that we keep a great offensive line together vs keeping a star receiver. I believe that Kaep with a strong offensive line will start to make mediocre receivers good and good receivers, great a la Brady and Manning. OL, DL, QB and Pass Rushers are the priority when it comes to money spent. I think Crabtree will have a phenomenal season in '13, but make no mistake about it, without a great performance from our OL and QB, it doesn't happen. If he wants the big contract, smart money trades him for a 1st rounder after this next season.

I agree with this completely. Jerry Jones can't help himself and Crabs is a Texas Homie. I also hope he has a phenomenal season and we get multiple high draft choices for him.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
They just signed Anthony Davis to a new contract. Staley keeps going to the Pro Bowl so his next contract will probably be higher. Unless I am mistaken, I think Boone makes respectable money as well.

Boone is signed through 2015 (3 more seasons) and Staley is signed through 2017 (5 more seasons). Neither one is coming up for a new contract any time soon. The only lineman making real money is Davis, and check out his contract http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/anthony-davis/. Because they extended him so early it basically comes out to a $5.3mil. per year contract, which is nuts.

To put it into context, assuming we start Looney or Kilgore at center next year, our entire offensive line accounts for about $16mil in cap space for 2014 keeping Iupati with his current contract. Joe Thomas is going to make over $12mil. by himself.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
What I may have just posted have happen..

A 49er team w/o Crab..
Share 49ersWebzone