There are 61 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Will 2014 be Crabtree's last season as a Niner?

Will 2014 be Crabtree's last season as a Niner?

Originally posted by Antix:
My gut says yes which really.sucks because hes gonna be awesome. Hopefully he wants to be a GOAT and stays. Thats all we really have bankin in this because theres no money.

This is where actually winning the SB coulda helped :(

Don't know about that, just look at Boldin.

Boldin was traded he had no say in the matter
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
$45/$50 million over what period? 5 years? Two years down the road that may not be too exhorbitant a price to pay for a #1 and the Niners may be players at that price. Crabtree, while excellent, is not an elite, top-five caliber receiver. He probably thinks that he is and I don't blame him for having that confidence, but realistically . . . no, he isn't. So if he looks for that elite paycheck, it'll be difficult for the Niners to accommodate him. There always is a team out there that will overpay for a player, so losing Crabtree is easily foreseeable.

Irrespective, I do concur with your strategy: Follow the Packers model.

IMO there are only two postions one should unhesitating spring for the "elite" cash, if you have the player fitting the bill: QB, obviously, and pass rusher (but only a very special one). That's it. For all other positions, the incremental upgrade between excellent and elite doesn't make that great a difference.

However, keeping developmental players in the pipeline is also key to effectively keeping the ball rolling.


I think he gets anywhere between 45-65 mil over 5 years. While that's definitely not a horrible contract to take on there's a salary cap and you just can't keep everyone.

You pretty much hit the nail on the end why I think it's going to be impossible to keep Crabtree. We're going to have to seriously open our wallets for Aldon and Kap. Between the 2 they could easily exceed 160 million dollars worth of salaries and that's on the low end.

My thoughts are let it play out, keep drafting receivers in rounds 2-4 and worse case scenario is we get 3rd round compensation pick for Crabs.
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 9,539
Crabtree still has two years to play under his existing contract (2013 and 2014).

The offer that the team will make him or its willingness to franchise him is going to depend on what happens in those two years.

Last year was Crabtree's best year. The NFL had him listed as:

11th in league with 9 touchdowns
13th in the league with 85 receptions
14th in the league with 1,105 yards receiving

But, the stats kept by league are not the only stats to consider.

Among the 66 wide receivers that played at least 50% of the team snaps in the regular season, Pro Football Focus had Crabtree listed as:

1st with 0 fumbles (tied with 11 others)
4th in percentage of times thrown to that a pass caught (118 targets/ 85 receptions/72%)
4th in total YAC (yards after the catch) with 543 yards
5th in average YAC with 6.4 yards per reception
7th in yards with 1,105
7th in overall wide receiver ranking with a score of 22.4
7th in tackles avoided or broken with 13 (tied with one other)
9th in numbers of targets that resulted in interceptions
10th in touchdown receptions
11th in number of receptions (tied with on other)
21st in number of targets (passes thrown to him)
25th in dropped passes with 7
36th in number of penalties (tied with 4 others)

For both the team's and Crabtree's sake, I hope he continues to improve.
[ Edited by buck on May 20, 2013 at 7:06 AM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 9,539
In an earlier post, I gave Crabtree's stats for the regular season. Here are his stats for last year's play-offs.

For a comparative view, I have included Boldin's stats.

Among the 45 wide receivers that played in the 2012 post season, Pro Football Focus has Crabtree listed as:

1st in tackles avoided or broken with 6 (Boldin tied for last with others with 0)
1st in numbers of targets that resulted in interceptions with 0 (Boldin 1st)
1st in total YAC (yards after the catch) with 137 yards (Boldin 3rd with 68 yards)
2nd in touchdown receptions with 3 (Boldin 1st with 4)
2nd in number of receptions with 20 (Boldin 1st with 22)
2nd in yards with 285 (Boldin 1st with 380 yards)
2nd in number of targets with 28 (Boldin 1st with 36)
3rd overall wide receiver ranking with a score of 5.1 (Boldin 1st with 7.4)
7th in average YAC with 6.9 yards per reception (Boldin 21st with 3.1)
34th in % of times thrown to that a pass caught--(28targets/ 20 receptions/71.4 %--( Boldin 27th)
41st in dropped passes with 2 (Boldin 29th with 1)
42nd in number of penalties with 1—tied with 2 others--(Boldin 42nd)
43rd in fumbles with 1 fumble--tied with 2 others—(Boldin tied for 1st with 0)
[ Edited by buck on May 20, 2013 at 10:30 AM ]
Originally posted by buck:
In an earlier post, I gave Crabtree's stats for the regular season. Here are his stats for last year's play-offs.

For a comparative view, I have included Boldin's stats.

Among the 45 wide receivers that played in the 2012 post season, Pro Football Focus has Crabtree listed as:

1st in tackles avoided or broken with 6 (Boldin tied for last with others with 0)
1st in numbers of targets that resulted in interceptions with 0 (Boldin 1st)
1st in total YAC (yards after the catch) with 137 yards (Boldin 3rd with 68 yards)
2nd in touchdown receptions with 3 (Boldin 1st with 4)
2nd in number of receptions with 20 (Boldin 1st with 22)
2nd in yards with 285 (Boldin 1st with 380 yards)
2nd in number of targets with 28 (Boldin 1st with 36)
3rd overall wide receiver ranking with a score of 5.1 (Boldin 1st with 7.4)
7th in average YAC with 6.9 yards per reception (Boldin 21st with 3.1)
34th in % of times thrown to that a pass caught--(28targets/ 20 receptions/71.4 %--( Boldin 27th)
41st in dropped passes with 2 (Boldin 29th with 1) 42nd in number of penalties with 1—tied with 2 others--(Boldin 42nd)
43rd in fumbles with 1 fumble--tied with 2 others—(Boldin tied for 1st with 0)

How could the Niners have possibly gotten Boldin with a 6th round pick. Highway robbery!
Per Walter Football, WR Fantasy Football Rankings...

10. Michael Crabtree, WR, 49ers. Bye: 9.
Including the playoffs, here's what Michael Crabtree did in his final eight games of the season: 55 catches, 823 yards and seven touchdowns. It's safe to say that he and Colin Kaepernick clicked. There's no reason to think the entire 2013 campaign will be any different.

Projected 2013 Fantasy Stats: 88 catches. 1,270 yards. 9 total TDs.

If he posts those kind of numbers, he will command a huge contract.
Crabs is finally starting to earn his money, and it's already getting close to the time that he'll probably leave?
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 9,539
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Per Walter Football, WR Fantasy Football Rankings...

10. Michael Crabtree, WR, 49ers. Bye: 9.
Including the playoffs, here's what Michael Crabtree did in his final eight games of the season: 55 catches, 823 yards and seven touchdowns. It's safe to say that he and Colin Kaepernick clicked. There's no reason to think the entire 2013 campaign will be any different.

Projected 2013 Fantasy Stats: 88 catches. 1,270 yards. 9 total TDs.

If he posts those kind of numbers, he will command a huge contract.

If he posts those kind of numbers for the next two years, he will have earned a top contract.
Some great point made in this thread, I hope the salary cap increase will give us enough room to keep them both. I just remember the hold out, and the kid (Crabtree) saying he will be the "Michael Jordan of Football".

The traded to Dallas for 1st rounder take is quite intriguing as well, I suppose we shall see, thanks for all the great input!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 24,057
i think he is the least important person to sign when you rank him up there with CK and aldon. besides if some of the kids we have, like jenkins can come along and if kyle and mario come back ok, crabs can easily be dumped
Originally posted by cciowa:
i think he is the least important person to sign when you rank him up there with CK and aldon. besides if some of the kids we have, like jenkins can come along and if kyle and mario come back ok, crabs can easily be dumped

None of the three that you mentioned are #1 WRs. As much as I despise KW he's improved as a player and I hope he does well but he's definitely not a #1. Mario can't stay healthy (Seattle was a cheapshot) but still in NY he wasn't a #1. And Jenkins well he needs to catch a pass before I'll consider him a WR
Originally posted by cciowa:
i think he is the least important person to sign when you rank him up there with CK and aldon. besides if some of the kids we have, like jenkins can come along and if kyle and mario come back ok, crabs can easily be dumped


Obviously, we have to keep Aldon and Kap. The debate used to be about Crabs, Davis, Iupati. Now it looks like its down to Crabs and Iupati. It's crushing to choose, because I like both players equally, but I think Crabs plays a more important role for us, than a guard ever could. If we keep both, then we'll have to lose somebody like Vernon Davis or Ahmad Brooks, or maybe both of them, which actually, in two years time, might make a lot of sense.
I'm with cc on this. And I am not laughing at F.O. continuing to sign WRs in later rds. Some are going to hit. Maybe 2, possibly 3 and bingo...no need to blow a wad on a guy who first held out, then took an entire 2nd yr to learn plays and played like well, a middle 3rd rounder, then has good 3rd yr and grows into his job, then 2013 and next he is in his contract yr. I would work out a contract this yr which is fair, maybe $8 mil/yr, and let him pay us back for those first two yrs when he a) left us at the altar and sat out, and b) didn't know the plays the last half of first yr, then still was learning them his second yr. In effect he got paid good $$ to learn on us for 2 yrs. That sucks. And if it comes to Iupati or crbs, fuggedaboudit. Adios crbs. We need an all pro OL one helluva a lot more than we need crabs. My hat is off to trent and JH for continuing to stock up on WRs, altho lower rds, and by next yr, we will have some very good crbs replacements. Looking at the stats, depending on which you use, crabs seems to be 10th or 11th best WR. So give him maybe 8 mil/yr, and if he bolts, adios, and don't let the door hit you in the azz on the way out.

The way i see it is the guy OWES us for the sad to awful performances prior to this yr. He ought to (but probably won't) come contract time. Obviously aldon and Kap are going to get resigned. Crbs can go get that fat contract with say, JAX. He can give up a run at SB rings, and get his dough. if that is what he is about, then good riddance, and we got guys in the wings to replace a basic 3 yr player who was paid for 5. And I think that is abysmal, particularly when most of that was due to his sitting out. No love for crabs from here. Did he play well this yr? Heck, yeah. Where was he yr 1, not to mention yr 2? Nah, he isn't even in the running in choosing between kap and aldon.

If it sounds like a hold a grudge....you're right. I love watching crabs play, but no forgiveness for the first two yrs. He screwed us for those two yrs, and that was all self induced. Granted he seems to have lost the "head case" of the kid who held out like he was Jerry Rice( who never did that). Nah, crbs owes us and if we spend a fortune on the guy, i will be amazed...and then despondent. LIke earlier stated, cc has it right.
God willing it will be.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 513
You know, I really have been thinking about this one since last season.. I can imagine if Lockette, Jenkins and Patton shows some promise this year... and those three alone can cover up for Crab, maybe, just maybe, we can trade him for another Alex Smith type of trade..

We can then have 3 young receivers who would be a perfect TRIO ... Lockette and Patton as 1 and 2, and Jenkins would be a very very scary 3 (slot)..