There are 69 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

GUESS THE 53!!

I wrote an article about this actually. Lemme know what you guys think:

http://www.theoakleafnews.com/sports/2013/05/18/things-thomas-thinks-the-49ers-53-man-roster-prediction/
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 10,520
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by NickSh49:
The problem is that the Zone has already crowned Lockette & Patton for doing... wait for it...

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

Kyle Williams, meanwhile, has proven himself as a weapon in the passing game & can also return kicks.

Even if you disagree with that, you have to acknowledge that fans like you are handing Lockette & Patton roster spots without any evidence that they can actually play.

Rookies by definition have done nothing and often get a roster spot, so handing Patton a roster spot is hardly strange.

I also think that Lockette is on the bubble. Although, I do think the idea that Kyle Williams has proven himself is a bit of a stretch.

Here is my breakdown:

Locks

1. Crabtree
2. Boldin
3. AJ Jenkins
4. Quinton Patton

My evidence in support of making Patton a lock is his college career. Patton played in 25 college games.
He had 183 catches for 2,594 yards and 24 scores. He averaged 14.2 yards a reception.
His wide receiver production grade (combined percentages of a teams receiving yards and touchdowns) was off the charts.

Patton earned a 79.32.

Justin Hunter (47.34) and Cordarelle Patterson (34.83) combined had a production grade of 82.17.

Wild Card

5. Manningham

If Manningham were not injured, he would be a lock to the make the team.
Manningham has played in 61 games and started 38 of those games.
He has had 202 receptions for 2,764 yards (13.7 Average) and 19 scores.

Bubble
.
Kyle Williams--29 games, 35 receptions, 461 yards (13.2 Average), 4 scores.
Marlon Moore--29 games, 12 receptions, 244 yards (20.3 Average), 2 scores.
Chad Hall—15 games, 14 receptions, 135 yards (9.6 Average), 2 scores.
Ricardo Lockette—2 games, 2 receptions, 105 yards (52.5 Average), 1 score.

Since we do not know what will happen with Manningham, it is difficult to know if the bubble players are fighting for one or two spots on the roster.
As far as I can tell, the bubble battle will be waged in organized team activities and training camp.

Both Kyle Williams and Chad Hall have experience returning punts, which may give them some advantage in the upcoming fight for a roster spot.

In 29 regular season games, Kyle Williams has returned 9 punts for 109 yards (12.1 Average).
In 15 regular season games, Chad Hall has returned 10 punts for 107 yards (10.7 Average).

The fact that you are even considering Chad Hall for a spot...

Here's the truth... Michael Crabtree & Kyle Williams are the only wide receivers on the roster that have been in the offense for two years. They're they only WR's on the team who have put in any time on the field out of this group with the 49ers in the past two years.

You can put Kyle on the field on Week 1 and not worry about whether or not he knows the plays by now. You can't do that with Patton or Lockette.

Kyle Williams will be on this team for the full duration of the 2013 season, guaranteed.

I did not put Chad Hall on the roster. Since he is on the roster, I included him in the discussion.
I have him on the bubble, which is where he should be.

I just do not believe that Kyle Williams production has been good enough to consider him a lock.

We have to see what happens, but better players have been cut.
I have to say that usually I hate preseason as I consider it a four week tease for the real thing but I am actually chomping at the bits for this years preseason. This year is special. We are coming off a super bowl run and the squad will be hungry. You have some extremely talented rookies coming in, this years camp battles are going to be a blast to watch. By the time the season ends, this very well be the most talented 49er team since our 94 championship team on paper. Man I can't wait for training camp!
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
I hope Marquies Gray, Quinton Dial and Lawrence Okoye and Marcus Cooper make the roster

Gray has freakish athletic ability , if we could get some work from him as the #3 TE and H-Back , he could give us an added dimension


Cooper , at 6-2 , and a 4.4 time in the 40 , this guy could be brought along slowly and be a consistent contributor by mid season

Dial has the size to be a terror against the run and keep our ILB's clean by occupying 2 blockers


I'm really curious about Okoye, if he can give us a few snaps from the DE spot , and come in as an extra blocking TE or FB, he can help keep our starters fresh and develop into a real gem , he has the size , strength and speed to be a terror on both side of the ball ...I'm rooting for him to make the squad

I'd like that as well. I think Dial will make it because of his draft status. Not high, but he's got the size/speed/strength combo if he can keep his head on. As for the others, I love players with a big upside. Looks like the other three you mentioned have that. It will be fun to watch.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
QB (3) - Colin Kaepernick, Colt McCoy, Scot Tolzien

Trading for Colt McCoy is like having somewhat of a downgraded version of Alex Smith. Still a QB who would be capable of winning games in the unfortunate event of an injury to CK. I think it also signals that while the staff may like Tolzien, they are not completely sold on him as the #2. He should be able to hold off BJ Daniels for the #3 position however.

RB (4)- Frank Gore, Kendall Hunter, LaMichael James, Anthony Dixon

Dixon did pretty well as a short yardage back this season. In order for someone else to replace him, they would have to outperform him in that role and play special teams. At the present time, I don't see anyone replacing Dixon.

FB(1)- Bruce Miller

WR (5)- Michael Crabtree, Anquan Boldin, Kyle Williams, AJ Jenkins, Quinton Patton

I don't see us carrying six receivers until Mario Manningham returns. We don't use many receivers as it is and there is no sense in carrying 6 until Manningham returns. There are a lot of 'Zone favorites (like Lockette), but at the present time, he is like another Okoye, great measureables, but has proven nothing.

TE (3)- Vernon Davis, Vance McDonald, MarQueis Gray

OL (9)- Joe Staley, Mike Iupati, Johnathan Goodwin, Alex Boone, Anthony Davis, Joe Looney, Dan Kilgore, Adam Snyder, Luke Marquadt

CB (5)- Carlos Rogers, Tarell Brown, Nmandi Asomougha, Perish Cox, Marcus Cooper. Hoping Cooper shows enough potential as a corner and can be a solid enough special teamer to push Brock off the roster.

S (4)- Eric Reid, Donte Whitner, Craig Dahl, CJ Spillman

LB (8) -Aldon Smith, Patrick Willis, NaVorro Bowman, Ahmad Brooks, Parys Haralson, Dan Skuta, Darius Fleming, Corey Lemonier

DL (7)- Ray McDonald, Glenn Dorsey, Justin Smith, Ian Williams, Tank Carradine, Demarcus Dobbs, Quinton Dial

ST- Andy Lee, Phil Dawson, Brian Jennings

PUP- Marcus Lattimore, Mario Manningham

Practice Squad- BJ Daniels, Lawrence Okoye, Cam Johnson, Trenton Robinson, Ricardo Lockette, Carter Bykowski (could just as easily be Marquadt. Whoever loses the battle for swing tackle could be headed to the PS if they show enough in camo/pre-season), Jewel Hampton (not sure if he has any eligibility left, but has a shot to push Dixon off the roster who should be a free agent after 2013. But he will have to replace him as a short yardage back and a special teamer).

I think I went the safe route with most of these roster spots, but I wouldn't be surprised to see some younger guys supplant players like Goodwin, Whitner, and Haralson.
I like it. Solid, reasonable roster. I think they'll keep Haralson, Whitner and Goodwin though.
Originally posted by NickSh49:
The fact that you are even considering Chad Hall for a spot...

Here's the truth... Michael Crabtree & Kyle Williams are the only wide receivers on the roster that have been in the offense for two years. They're they only WR's on the team who have put in any time on the field out of this group with the 49ers in the past two years.

You can put Kyle on the field on Week 1 and not worry about whether or not he knows the plays by now. You can't do that with Patton or Lockette.

Kyle Williams will be on this team for the full duration of the 2013 season, guaranteed.

This is very true and keeping Williams may not be as difficult a decision for the mere fact Williams is a good slot WR and provides return abilities/experience and he may flourish with CK at the helm. That said, it's not as much as a lock as we'd think.

Michael Crabtree - obviously he's worked hard to become the #1 target for CK
Anquan Boldin - is expected to start opposite of Crabtree and work the slot as well esp. in the RZ
AJ Jenkins - former #1 who's is expected to "surprise" people this year. He is expected to work mostly inside at the slot but has speed to work outside as well for a deep threat.
Quinton Patton - already consider one of the steals of the draft
Mario Manningham - restructured to stay and is still expected to go on the PUP to start the season
Ricardo Lockette - really, this is the only WR we have in the physical mold Crabtree/Boldin should either go down.
Kyle Williams - provides both slot and return experience/skills
Marlon Moore - brought in for ST competition and also for an outside deep threat
Chad Hall - no chance to make the team IMHO

The thing that many are forgetting is that we drafted Vance McDonald high. In fact, with HaRoman at the helm, you can expect a ton of (maybe even more than laast year) 2 TE sets. This means that we won't see many 3+ WR sets. You'll have the possession WR's such as Crabtree and Boldin in to catch/block and VD/McDonald and the usual backfield guys lined up with CK out of the Q formation. So what is the "need" beyond even 4 or 5 WR's? In fact, you could make an argument that an H-back like Marquis Gray could end up getting more snaps than the #4 WR this year.
[ Edited by NCommand on May 19, 2013 at 8:04 AM ]
Originally posted by Rascal:
So, you've cut Kyle Williams and Anthony Dixon ??!!


Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by NickSh49:
The fact that you are even considering Chad Hall for a spot...

Here's the truth... Michael Crabtree & Kyle Williams are the only wide receivers on the roster that have been in the offense for two years. They're they only WR's on the team who have put in any time on the field out of this group with the 49ers in the past two years.

You can put Kyle on the field on Week 1 and not worry about whether or not he knows the plays by now. You can't do that with Patton or Lockette.

Kyle Williams will be on this team for the full duration of the 2013 season, guaranteed.

This is very true and keeping Williams may not be as difficult a decision for the mere fact Williams is a good slot WR and provides return abilities/experience and he may flourish with CK at the helm. That said, it's not as much as a lock as we'd think.

Michael Crabtree - obviously he's worked hard to become the #1 target for CK
Anquan Boldin - is expected to start opposite of Crabtree and work the slot as well esp. in the RZ
AJ Jenkins - former #1 who's is expected to "surprise" people this year. He is expected to work mostly inside at the slot but has speed to work outside as well for a deep threat.
Quinton Patton - already consider one of the steals of the draft
Mario Manningham - restructured to stay and is still expected to go on the PUP to start the season
Ricardo Lockette - really, this is the only WR we have in the physical mold Crabtree/Boldin should either go down.
Kyle Williams - provides both slot and return experience/skills
Marlon Moore - brought in for ST competition and also for an outside deep threat
Chad Hall - no chance to make the team IMHO

The thing that many are forgetting is that we drafted Vance McDonald high. In fact, with HaRoman at the helm, you can expect a ton of (maybe even more than laast year) 2 TE sets. This means that we won't see many 3+ WR sets. You'll have the possession WR's such as Crabtree and Boldin in to catch/block and VD/McDonald and the usual backfield guys lined up with CK out of the Q formation. So what is the "need" beyond even 4 or 5 WR's? In fact, you could make an argument that an H-back like Marquis Gray could end up getting more snaps than the #4 WR this year.
I think we need 6-7 receivers because they keep getting injured and we end up starting ps people. I think we will keep 6, maybe 7 in you include Lockett. With Boldin, Manningham and williams definite keepers but in their last contract year, we need to develop the younger guys. It's a good position to be.
Originally posted by SD49ers:
I think we need 6-7 receivers because they keep getting injured and we end up starting ps people. I think we will keep 6, maybe 7 in you include Lockett. With Boldin, Manningham and williams definite keepers but in their last contract year, we need to develop the younger guys. It's a good position to be.

Aside from your great point that we always end up having injuries to our WR's (Williams x2, Manningham, etc.), THIS is another great point. Both AJ and Patton and Lockette were all hand picked by HarBaalke. Williams was not. If this coaching staff feels these younger guys have more upside and can develop into better players, despite their love for Williams and his attitude and work ethic, he could be a VERY difficult cut.

Even if we keep 7 or 7 with Manningham on PUP, that means someone else gets cut. Who?
[ Edited by NCommand on May 19, 2013 at 8:59 AM ]
In real estate it's location, location, location.....In the NFL passing game it's chemistry, chemistry, chemistry.....

http://www.sacbee.com/2013/05/19/5431627/roster-hopeful-lockette-is-learning.html

Ricardo's physical skills, his hardworking attitude and one on one relationship with Kaep have to make niners fans giddy!! Make adjustments to your 53 men, this guys gonna make the squad.
  • cools
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 1,332
QB(3)- Kap and Colt are locks, Daniels may have more upside then Tolz, but Tolz knows the system, tough to guess what happens here
Im going with Tolz, and Daniels to the PS, though i think he gets snagged from us if we try that

RBFB(5)- Gore, James, Hunter and Miller are locks, Lattimore gets pup'd/IR'd
Dixon, Harper and Hampton fight for one spot, I think they go with Hampton due to his skills as an inside runner

TE(3)- Vern, McDonald and Celek
*Gray to PS

WR(6)- Boldin and Crabs start, Williams as the slot, Jenkins and Patton as depth
Manningham is eased back slowly
Im rooting for Lockette to make it, He could take Marios spot on the 53 early in the season if they PuP Mario
*Jacobs to PS

OL(8)- Staley, Iupati, Goodwin, Boone, Davis, Snyder, Looney, Kilgore
Best OL in the league, Kilgore's spot could be taken by a longshot guy like Netter
*Marquart, Bykowski to PS

DL(7)- McDonald, Dorsey, Smith, Carradine, Williams all should be locks
Four good players going for one or two spots...Tuku, Dial, Dobbs and Jerod-Eddie
I think they keep 7 and go with Tuku and Dial
*Okoye to PS

OLB(4)- Smith, Brooks, Haralson, Lemonier
No room for Fleming or Johnson

ILB(3)- Willis, Bowman, Skuta
I rather have 4 here, but needed that extra spot for a 7th DL, Haralson and Brooks can play inside in a pinch
*Moody to PS

CB(6)- Rogers, Brown, Culliver, Asomugha, Brock.
Cox and the rookies fight for one spot, Cooper, Morris and Rose all look good, think Cox holds on to the job
*Morris to PS

I believe one of our corners may transition to safety, Rogers has said he enjoys playing there on the few occasions he has done so.
I think he would be very good at it due to his football IQ and leadership skills,
Rogers at free (w/the headset) and Reid at strong seems like a pretty good combo

S(5)- Reid, Whitner, Dahl, Robinson, Spillman

ST(3)- Lee, Dawson, Jennings
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 10,520
Originally posted by NCommand:
Aside from your great point that we always end up having injuries to our WR's (Williams x2, Manningham, etc.), THIS is another great point. Both AJ and Patton and Lockette were all hand picked by HarBaalke. Williams was not. If this coaching staff feels these younger guys have more upside and can develop into better players, despite their love for Williams and his attitude and work ethic, he could be a VERY difficult cut.

Even if we keep 7 or 7 with Manningham on PUP, that means someone else gets cut. Who?


Originally posted by DRUSTOPO:
In real estate it's location, location, location.....In the NFL passing game it's chemistry, chemistry, chemistry.....

http://www.sacbee.com/2013/05/19/5431627/roster-hopeful-lockette-is-learning.html

Ricardo's physical skills, his hardworking attitude and one on one relationship with Kaep have to make niners fans giddy!! Make adjustments to your 53 men, this guys gonna make the squad.

This wide receiver competition should be very interesting. I think it is going to come down to Missouri--Show me time.

Those that step up--that show the staff they belong--between now and the day the Turk arrives will make the squad.

I do like Lockette, but I know he has a road to hoe.

I am going to sit back and watch.
Originally posted by Kronos2560:
I wrote an article about this actually. Lemme know what you guys think:

http://www.theoakleafnews.com/sports/2013/05/18/things-thomas-thinks-the-49ers-53-man-roster-prediction/

Good article! Will return to read more thoruoghly at another time. Is this a personal website or ? Nicely done.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Good article! Will return to read more thoruoghly at another time. Is this a personal website or ? Nicely done.

Thank you! I'm the Editor-in-Chief for my college newspaper. I decided to start a column on the website because I want to start my career as a sports journalist.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by SD49ers:
I think we need 6-7 receivers because they keep getting injured and we end up starting ps people. I think we will keep 6, maybe 7 in you include Lockett. With Boldin, Manningham and williams definite keepers but in their last contract year, we need to develop the younger guys. It's a good position to be.

Aside from your great point that we always end up having injuries to our WR's (Williams x2, Manningham, etc.), THIS is another great point. Both AJ and Patton and Lockette were all hand picked by HarBaalke. Williams was not. If this coaching staff feels these younger guys have more upside and can develop into better players, despite their love for Williams and his attitude and work ethic, he could be a VERY difficult cut.

Even if we keep 7 or 7 with Manningham on PUP, that means someone else gets cut. Who?
Dunno. That's for the coaches to figure out. All I know is that they've adjusted, (higher or lower) traditional numbers to the best player. e.g., last year they went high # of DL's for a 3-4 while going light on OLB's, OL's. WR's take a loooooong time to pan out so we might have to take time to let them learn the game, hence keeping more while they learn the ropes. RB's for example, are much more plug in and play. We'll see, but it's a great position to be in.
Originally posted by cools:
QB(3)- Kap and Colt are locks, Daniels may have more upside then Tolz, but Tolz knows the system, tough to guess what happens here
Im going with Tolz, and Daniels to the PS, though i think he gets snagged from us if we try that

RBFB(5)- Gore, James, Hunter and Miller are locks, Lattimore gets pup'd/IR'd
Dixon, Harper and Hampton fight for one spot, I think they go with Hampton due to his skills as an inside runner

TE(3)- Vern, McDonald and Celek
*Gray to PS

WR(6)- Boldin and Crabs start, Williams as the slot, Jenkins and Patton as depth
Manningham is eased back slowly
Im rooting for Lockette to make it, He could take Marios spot on the 53 early in the season if they PuP Mario
*Jacobs to PS

OL(8)- Staley, Iupati, Goodwin, Boone, Davis, Snyder, Looney, Kilgore
Best OL in the league, Kilgore's spot could be taken by a longshot guy like Netter
*Marquart, Bykowski to PS

DL(7)- McDonald, Dorsey, Smith, Carradine, Williams all should be locks
Four good players going for one or two spots...Tuku, Dial, Dobbs and Jerod-Eddie
I think they keep 7 and go with Tuku and Dial
*Okoye to PS

OLB(4)- Smith, Brooks, Haralson, Lemonier
No room for Fleming or Johnson

ILB(3)- Willis, Bowman, Skuta
I rather have 4 here, but needed that extra spot for a 7th DL, Haralson and Brooks can play inside in a pinch
*Moody to PS

CB(6)- Rogers, Brown, Culliver, Asomugha, Brock.
Cox and the rookies fight for one spot, Cooper, Morris and Rose all look good, think Cox holds on to the job
*Morris to PS

I believe one of our corners may transition to safety, Rogers has said he enjoys playing there on the few occasions he has done so.
I think he would be very good at it due to his football IQ and leadership skills,
Rogers at free (w/the headset) and Reid at strong seems like a pretty good combo

S(5)- Reid, Whitner, Dahl, Robinson, Spillman

ST(3)- Lee, Dawson, Jennings

Too risky with 3 ILBs, besides the 7th DL wont be active, rather keep Moody.

Also most of those PS guys would be goners via waivers or off p-squad signings.