Offense :
QB : C.Kaepernick ; C.McCoy ; S.Tolzien

RB : F.Gore ; K.Hunter ; L.James
FB : B.Miller

TE : V.Davis ; G.Celek ; V.McDonald

C : D.Kilgore
G : M.Iupati ; A.Bonne ; J.Looney
T : J.Staley ; A.Davis ; K.Wiggins

WR : M.Crabtree ; A.Boldin ; M.Manningham ; A.J.Jenkins ; Q.Patton ; R.Lockette ; K.Williams

Defense :
DT : G.Dorsey ; I.Williams
DE : J.Smith ; R.McDonald ; T.Carradine ; Q.Dial ; L.Okoye

OLB : A.Smith ; A.Brooks ; C.Lemonier ; P.Halarson
ILB : P.Willis ; N.Bowman ; D.Skuta ; N.Moody

CB : N.Asomugha ; C.Culliver ; T.Brown ; C.Rodgers ; P.Cox ; M.Cooper
S : E.Ried ; D.Whitner ; T.Robinson ; C.Dahl ; C.J.Spillman

K : P.Dawson
P : A.Lee
LS : B.Jennings

PUP : M.Lattimore

7 Man Practice Squad

QB - B.J.Daniels
RB - C.Hampton

T - L.Marquart
T - C.Bikowski

LB - D.Flemming
CB - D.Morris
CB - L.Rose

One deception, i can't find a spot for MarQueis Gray and Michael Wilhoite.
[ Edited by Elrossoneri on May 15, 2013 at 4:10 PM ]
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Quarterbacks:
Colin Kaepernick
Colt McCoy
B.J. Daniels

Running backs:
Frank Gore
Kendall Hunter
LaMichael James
Jewel Hampton
Marcus Lattimore(PUP)

Fullbacks: Bruce Miller

Wide receivers:
Michael Crabtree
Anquan Boldin
Mario Manningham(PUP)
A.J. Jenkins
Quinton Patton
Ricardo Lockette

Tight ends:
Vernon Davis
Vance McDonald
Garrett Celek

Offensive tackles:
Joe Staley
Anthony Davis
Adam Snyder
Luke Marquardt

Offensive guards:
Mike Iupati
Alex Boone
Daniel Kilgore

Centers:
Jonathan Goodwin Joe Looney

Defensive ends:
Justin Smith
Ray McDonald
Tank Carradine
Quinton Dial
Will Tukuafu

Nose tackles:
Glenn Dorsey
Ian Williams

Outside linebackers:
Aldon Smith
Ahmad Brooks
Parys Haralson
Corey Lemonier

Inside linebackers:
Patrick Willis
NaVorro Bowman
Dan Skuta
Nick Moody

Cornerbacks:
Carlos Rogers
Tarell Brown
Chris Culliver
Nnamdi Asomugha
Perrish Cox

Safeties:
Donte Whitner
Eric Reid
Craig Dahl
C.J. Spillman
Trenton Robinson

Kickers:
Phil Dawson

Punters:
Andy Lee

Long snappers:
Brian Jennings

Kick Returner
LaMichael James

Punt Returner
LaMichael James

I agree with all of this

And maybe Jewel Hampton can play backup FB and ST

Actually, I'm going to make one switch...

Lawrence Okoye in... Jewel Hampton out.
Originally posted by Rascal:
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
Originally posted by DRUSTOPO:
So, you've cut Kyle Williams and Anthony Dixon ??!!

Yup, I was really contemplating keeping Kyle, but I like the size/speed combo of Ricardo. This is contingent on Jimbo feeling confident in LMJ, Cox and possibly Patton to return punts. I really hope James makes strides this year in that roll.

As far as Dixon, I was surprised me made it last year, Im done with him. The only reason I could see keeping him around is short yardage situations, but I don't think he would be better than Miller in that roll. I would like to see Rathman take Millers game to the next level and groom him for those snaps.

Hmm, OK as far as Kyle goes, I see him as a proven or improving slot receiver with experience which should secure him a spot if he is 100% fully recovered from his ACL. I don't see AJ, Ricardo and Quinton, all 3 of them breaking out. Instead, I see 2 of them making it. I see Jim Harbaugh giving Ricardo an opportunity given his incredible measurables, but I am not convinced AJ can beat out Quinton. Even though he has added bulk, I think Quinton's conscientious work ethic will help to propel himself pass AJ, at least in the long run. Bottomline, only 1 of the 2 will make it for the start of the season.

As for Anthony, I have seen him play well on special teams on the kick recovery unit plus he can also do the short yardage. I think he still might be able to make it, just. Plus, I simply don't know enough about Jewel Hampton.

I sure hope that you're wrong, Rascal. The Niners simply have to move on from Kyle, otherwise they have done a really poor job of upgrading their WR position. KW is unfortunately not that good. Sure he's got that choppy running style, but watching him, he's not really that fast, quick-twitch, elusive, jitter-bug receiver at all. Basically you're saying that AJ is a bust, because that is the only way he should be beaten out by KW. And as for Patton beating out AJ . . . Jenkins has significantly better measurables, faster with a superior initial burst as well (according to what MM reported observing) . . . first round pick as well . . . so, again are you implying that he's a bust?

Yet are you saying that Lockette somehow leapfrogs AJ on the depth chart also? Because of measurables? While completely ignoring AJs measurables. How are you coming to these conclusions? Based upon Harbaugh's throw away remark? His working out with CK7? That's it?

While we are on the WR subject, I also hope that the Niners upgrade from Mannigham. I realize that he is a 'zone favorite, but there is a reason the Giants made NO EFFORT to retain him as their THIRD receiver. His route running is a bit sloppy and he has questionable smarts. Now that he's coming of an injury, who knows how much more he's lost. Time to give his spot to a promising newcomer, perhaps.

• Apart from Crab and Anquan, like it or not, Kyle is the ONLY proven WR amongst that group (excluding Mario who is on PUP). Do I think Kyle is the best WR in the world ? No. But, if the rest of that group were ready, we would have played them more last season.
  • Do I think the 9ers have done a great job in improving the receiving corps ? I would say apart from that very lucky trade for Anquan, so far it really has been pretty much just so so if I am being honest.
  • Do I think AJ is a bust ? I don't know that for a fact. All I will say is so far the signs have been far from positive. Not every single rookie WR in this league has the luxury to sit out for most of their first season. And yet AJ had almost a season to learn the play book and practise before his debut. But, guess what ? Didin't even know where to line up on the field as shown in the Cards game plus dropping his only pass.
  • But, I did give AJ the benefit of the doubt that Quinton might not be ready, that was why I said either way it was between him and Quinton who would make the roster.
  • As for Ricardo, if you want to talk measurables, he is marginally faster than AJ at the 40. He is taller at 6'2" and perhaps more importantly far more muscular and better built at 211 lbs. Plus, at least when he was with the Seahawks, he had caught long passes of over 40 yards plus scoring a TD. These are facts and not just because Harbaugh said something or he practised with Kaep.
  • As for Mario, he is without a question one of the best wideouts in the receiving corp. I don't care what the Giants thought of him or whether they made any effort in keeping him cos is irrelevant. Anquan was even traded away by the Ravens, does it mean he is crap ? Absolutely NOT !! How will he be when he finally comes back from the injury ? I couldn't tell you cos I can't read the future.

I can see the sense in much of what you say. My questions were not rhetorical, I was curious how you thought.

It may very well prove out that AJ was a poor draft choice. In fact, even at the time made, I wasn't sure about the pick given what alternatives were available. But that's the fun in second guessing!

I agree with DPO, in the three or so years KW's been on the roster, he's only proved that he's not that good. Just because he's played, doesn't qualify him as "proven", implying "good".

I also disagree with you re Manningham. BTW Boldin's separation from the Raven came under very different circumstances; the Ravens WANTED Boldin to stay but he wouldn't take a paycut. They considered him at the tail end of his career, the Ravens were aligning their budget and couldn't see the fit. Similar to the Niners with Goldson. The Giants DID NOT WANT Manningham. But you've got a valid point, it may not be TOO relevant to whether or not MM is any good. However, I DO question whether Mannigham is one of the better receivers on the receiving corp. We'll have to see how AJ, Lockette, Patton, some other, pan out, and if Mario does prove to be better, then to me it just says that we have done a poor job of upgrading our WR corp.

We'll just have to disagree. Wich will make training camp all the more interesting.
Can guarantee you Kyle Williams will be on the roster this year.

He's not going anywhere.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Quarterbacks:
Colin Kaepernick
Colt McCoy
B.J. Daniels

Running backs:
Frank Gore
Kendall Hunter
LaMichael James
Jewel Hampton
Marcus Lattimore(PUP)

Fullbacks: Bruce Miller

Wide receivers:
Michael Crabtree
Anquan Boldin
Mario Manningham(PUP)
A.J. Jenkins
Quinton Patton
Ricardo Lockette

Tight ends:
Vernon Davis
Vance McDonald
Garrett Celek

Offensive tackles:
Joe Staley
Anthony Davis
Adam Snyder
Luke Marquardt

Offensive guards:
Mike Iupati
Alex Boone
Daniel Kilgore

Centers:
Jonathan Goodwin Joe Looney

Defensive ends:
Justin Smith
Ray McDonald
Tank Carradine
Quinton Dial
Will Tukuafu

Nose tackles:
Glenn Dorsey
Ian Williams

Outside linebackers:
Aldon Smith
Ahmad Brooks
Parys Haralson
Corey Lemonier

Inside linebackers:
Patrick Willis
NaVorro Bowman
Dan Skuta
Nick Moody

Cornerbacks:
Carlos Rogers
Tarell Brown
Chris Culliver
Nnamdi Asomugha
Perrish Cox

Safeties:
Donte Whitner
Eric Reid
Craig Dahl
C.J. Spillman
Trenton Robinson

Kickers:
Phil Dawson

Punters:
Andy Lee

Long snappers:
Brian Jennings

Kick Returner
LaMichael James

Punt Returner
LaMichael James

I agree with all of this

And maybe Jewel Hampton can play backup FB and ST

I am going to agree with you both. That is pretty much the way I saw the roster turning out. Maybe give or take a few of the third stringers depending on how they do in camp but the starters and backups are pretty much a lock at this point. At least that's my opinion.
I think Lattimore and Luke Marquardt spend the year on injured reserve, Brock and Kyle Williams make the 53 man instead.
I have a feeling Snyder has a better than 50% chance of making the team, he has experience as a backup swing guy.

Guys who should worry about spots

Dixon - Gray can easily take his spot for cheaper
Williams - Not the best returner, and we can do better at WR with AJJ and Patton
Brock - Terrible in coverage, decent STer
Tolzien - Doesn't run the pistol like Daniels does. So Daniels has a 50% chance. Gonna be fun to see.
I have a feeling Snyder has a better than 50% chance of making the team, he has experience as a backup swing guy.

Guys who should worry about spots

Dixon - Gray can easily take his spot for cheaper
Williams - Not the best returner, and we can do better at WR with AJJ and Patton
Brock - Terrible in coverage, decent STer
Tolzien - Doesn't run the pistol like Daniels does. So Daniels has a 50% chance. Gonna be fun to see.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
  • Apart from Crab and Anquan, like it or not, Kyle is the ONLY proven WR amongst that group (excluding Mario who is on PUP). Do I think Kyle is the best WR in the world ? No. But, if the rest of that group were ready, we would have played them more last season.
  • Do I think the 9ers have done a great job in improving the receiving corps ? I would say apart from that very lucky trade for Anquan, so far it really has been pretty much just so so if I am being honest.
  • Do I think AJ is a bust ? I don't know that for a fact. All I will say is so far the signs have been far from positive. Not every single rookie WR in this league has the luxury to sit out for most of their first season. And yet AJ had almost a season to learn the play book and practise before his debut. But, guess what ? Didin't even know where to line up on the field as shown in the Cards game plus dropping his only pass.
  • But, I did give AJ the benefit of the doubt that Quinton might not be ready, that was why I said either way it was between him and Quinton who would make the roster.
  • As for Ricardo, if you want to talk measurables, he is marginally faster than AJ at the 40. He is taller at 6'2" and perhaps more importantly far more muscular and better built at 211 lbs. Plus, at least when he was with the Seahawks, he had caught long passes of over 40 yards plus scoring a TD. These are facts and not just because Harbaugh said something or he practised with Kaep.
  • As for Mario, he is without a question one of the best wideouts in the receiving corp. I don't care what the Giants thought of him or whether they made any effort in keeping him cos is irrelevant. Anquan was even traded away by the Ravens, does it mean he is crap ? Absolutely NOT !! How will he be when he finally comes back from the injury ? I couldn't tell you cos I can't read the future.

Kyle has 35 career catches, one horrific fumble and a torn knee, what exactly did he prove?

Manningham tore two ligaments late in the year and probably wont be 100% until 2014. Mario and Kyle both rely on cuts to make up for their lack of top end speed.

I feel pretty comfortable with the FO's approach to give two 6 foot WR's who run sub 4.4 forty's a chance this summer to win the #3 spot...AKA...4th receiving option in our offense.

Kyle has 35 career catches, one horrific fumble and a torn knee, what exactly did he prove?

Manningham tore two ligaments late in the year and probably wont be 100% until 2014. Mario and Kyle both rely on cuts to make up for their lack of top end speed.

I feel pretty comfortable with the FO's approach to give two 6 foot + WR's who run sub 4.4 forty's a chance this summer to win the #3 spot...AKA...4th receiving option in our offense.

• OK, you can't just look at stats in isolation, you need to look at the whole picture here in totality. Who is our best slot WR ? Mario ? Where is he ? The guy is on PUP. So, who else do we have ? Simple, noone unless you want to count the 3 unproven WRs. I am not saying just cos you are unproven you don't have it, but you have to have your insurance policy down first by playing someone with experience. And mind you, as bad as you think Kyle is, he was improving throughout last season right up until the point he got injured.Remember that deep pass in the Bears game when he gained 54 yards I think it was ?
  • As for Mario, I also think he will at least be out for most of the season, if not the whole season. But, with regards to Kyle, even if he is not 100%, you can start the season with him being the No. 3 receiver, then pending on how the other 3 progress then you can phase them into the game based on practice merit. Or may be by the end of the preseason games, we might already have an idea who out of those 3 would be leading and he can be the 4th option right when the season kicks off.
  • I absolutely have no problem in having 4 WR option or even 5 for that matter. But, 4.4 40 doesn't necessariy = great receiver. If so, AJ would have been a mega star by now.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
I can see the sense in much of what you say. My questions were not rhetorical, I was curious how you thought.

It may very well prove out that AJ was a poor draft choice. In fact, even at the time made, I wasn't sure about the pick given what alternatives were available. But that's the fun in second guessing!

I agree with DPO, in the three or so years KW's been on the roster, he's only proved that he's not that good. Just because he's played, doesn't qualify him as "proven", implying "good".

I also disagree with you re Manningham. BTW Boldin's separation from the Raven came under very different circumstances; the Ravens WANTED Boldin to stay but he wouldn't take a paycut. They considered him at the tail end of his career, the Ravens were aligning their budget and couldn't see the fit. Similar to the Niners with Goldson. The Giants DID NOT WANT Manningham. But you've got a valid point, it may not be TOO relevant to whether or not MM is any good. However, I DO question whether Mannigham is one of the better receivers on the receiving corp. We'll have to see how AJ, Lockette, Patton, some other, pan out, and if Mario does prove to be better, then to me it just says that we have done a poor job of upgrading our WR corp.

We'll just have to disagree. Wich will make training camp all the more interesting.

• Well, I think most thought AJ Jenkins was an odd choice at the time, in fact so much so many thought he was the wrong choice. But, as the saying goes, the proof is in the pudding. He has had a year now and there is absolutely no more excuse if he still can't perform this season, so we shall see.
  • As for Kyle again, in all fairness, I did qualify my "proven" statement in saying as in "improving" which was exactly what he was doing last season until he went down.
  • As for Mario, the circumstances of his departure might have been slightly different to that of Anquan, but he is without doubt one of our better wideouts, at least for now until AJ, Ricardo and Quinton can surpass him. And yes if they don't, it would definitely prove we had done a poor job in improving our receiving corps. That all goes back to our drafting ability which is a bigger discussion. Personally, I wouldn't have picked AJ nor Quinton if I am being totally honest.

QB - Kap - Colt - Tolzien

RB -Frank - Hunter - LMJ - Lattimore

FB- Miller

WR- Crabs - A.J - Patton

WR- Boldin - Manningham -

TE- Davis - McDonald - Gray

LT- Staley -Bykowski

LG -Big Mike - Kilgore

C- Goodwin

RG- Boone - Looney

RT- Davis - Snyder

DE- Ray Mac - Tank - Dial

NT- Dorsey - Williams

DE- Justin - Okoye

LB- Ahmad -

LB- Willis - Moody

LB-Bowman - Skuta

LB- Aldon - Haralson - Lemonier

FS - Reid - Spillman

SS- Whitner - Dahl - McBath

CB- Brown - Rogers - Cooper

CB - Asomugha - Culliver

K -Dawsom

P- Lee

LS - Jennings

Special teams will be improved this year ...which is why I dont have Celek or Kyle Williams coming back ...Gray and McBath will bring more athleticism to our special teams and will get the nod over Celek and Williams .....Patton and Jenkins will get more time , which is another reason I dont think Williams comes back ....I dont have Dixon coming back either , Lattimore will be ready sooner than you think ....

Cooper will be a solid rookie from day one , Cox and Brock will be let go ...Okoye and Dial bring more size and have higher ceilings than Tukuafu and Dobbs

B.J Daniels will be a PS player ...Tolzien will have too much knowledge of the system to be beat out , and that will be enough to keep him as our #3 QB

just my 2 cents
[ Edited by NeeJ49er on May 16, 2013 at 7:32 AM ]
  • OK, you can't just look at stats in isolation, you need to look at the whole picture here in totality. Who is our best slot WR ? Mario ? Where is he ? The guy is on PUP. So, who else do we have ? Simple, noone unless you want to count the 3 unproven WRs. I am not saying just cos you are unproven you don't have it, but you have to have your insurance policy down first by playing someone with experience. And mind you, as bad as you think Kyle is, he was improving throughout last season right up until the point he got injured.Remember that deep pass in the Bears game when he gained 54 yards I think it was ?
  • As for Mario, I also think he will at least be out for most of the season, if not the whole season. But, with regards to Kyle, even if he is not 100%, you can start the season with him being the No. 3 receiver, then pending on how the other 3 progress then you can phase them into the game based on practice merit. Or may be by the end of the preseason games, we might already have an idea who out of those 3 would be leading and he can be the 4th option right when the season kicks off.
  • I absolutely have no problem in having 4 WR option or even 5 for that matter. But, 4.4 40 doesn't necessariy = great receiver. If so, AJ would have been a mega star by now.

I don't mean to come off as a KW hater, OK I hated him for a month after the 2011 NFC Champ Game, but I was a fierce supporter of him last offseason. I loved how he was motivated, how he came into camp in great shape and how he was laser focused on breaking out. I expected big things from him last year! So what did he did? Lets look at the whole picture of his season. Here are his game stats up to him getting hurt in the 2nd half of the Saints game....

GB = 0 rec / 0 targ / 0 yds / 0 td
DET = 0 rec / 0 targ / 0 yds / 0 td
MIN = 2 rec / 3 targ / 16 yds / 0 td
NYJ = 0 rec / 0 targ / 0 yds / 0 td
BUF = 2 rec / 2 targ / 50 yds / TD ( 43 )
NYG = 4 rec / 4 targ / 40 yds / 0 td
SEA = 1 rec / 4 targ / 18 yds / 0 td
ARZ = 1 rec / 1 targ / 4 yds / 0 td
STL = 2 rec / 3 targ / 24 yds / 0 td
CHI = 2 rec / 2 targ / 60 yds / 0 td
NO = 0 rec / 0 targ / 0 yds / 0 td

-He had only 3 targets in the first 4 weeks of the season. Terrible start.
-He catches a 43 yard TD against the worst D in the league ( Buffalo ) in a blowout, ( only 1 of his 2 catches over 18 yards all year )
-Looks like the staff and Alex trust him more after that long TD and feed him 4 targets for 4 catches against the Giants. This had party to due with the fact that we stopped running the ball and that Alex needed to get the ball out quick due to the Gmens pass rush.
-We try that again the following week against the Seahawks and he gets man handled, netting 1 catch for 18 yards.
-Follows that up with 1 catch against Zona, 2 catches against the Rams and then one long 57 yard catch against the Bears). The MOST positive highlight of KW's entire career and it didnt even go for 6.

So he had 2 long catches last year..that add up to 100 of his total 212 yards last year. We can do much better than this.

There is nothing I can see in KW's career, and Im sure like you, have seen every snap of, to think he's far and away the clear cut #3 or that he qualifies as a proven commodity. Add in the fact that he is less than 6 months from an ACL tear and it adds up to the distinct possibility that..faster, bigger, stronger players who have been working 1 on 1 with our current QB..Jenkins and Lockette....beat him out this summer. Honestly, if they can't beat out a less than 100% micro machine, then we have issues long term with this WR corp. Patton was just drafted and delivered a love letter via early flight to Harbs, he's not getting cut or exposed to the PS this year. I doubt AJ is going to either since he was a 1st rounder 13 months ago. So really it comes down to Lockette or KW for that last WR spot.

If I was a betting man, I know where my money would be
[ Edited by DRUSTOPO on May 16, 2013 at 2:35 PM ]
I don't mean to come off as a KW hater, OK I hated from for a month after the 2011 NFC Champ Game, but I was a fierce supporter of him last offseason. I loved how he was motivated, how he came into camp in great shape and how he was laser focused on breaking out. I expected big things from him last year! So what did he did? Lets look at the whole picture of his season. Here are his game stats up to him getting hurt in the 2nd half of the Saints game....
[snip]
There is nothing I can see in KW's career, and Im sure like you, have seen every snap of, to think he's far and away the clear cut #3 or that he qualifies as a proven commodity. Add in the fact that he is less than 6 months from an ACL tear and it adds up to the distinct possibility that..faster, bigger, stronger players who have been working 1 on 1 with our current QB..Jenkins and Lockette....beat him out this summer. Honestly, if they can't beat out a less than 100% micro machine, then we have issues long term with this WR corp. Patton was just drafted and delivered a love letter via early flight to Harbs, he's not getting cut or exposed to the PS this year. I doubt AJ is going to either since he was a 1st rounder 13 months ago. So really it comes down to Lockette or KW for that last WR spot.

If I was a betting man, I know where my money would be

Nice post, and thanks for the stats, BUT in KW's defence we must remember how relative one-dimensional our passing O was last year. Even when it clicked (and in the end it REALLY clicked) it was mostly VD (early on) or Crabs who did the work. I always felt that KW always made the most of his targets, with no stupid drops like Delanie. And he's a fine blocking WR, like all our guys. I still remember fondly the (now illegal) crackback block he threw on the Alex end around in the NO playoff game.

If his speed is diminished after the injury, or if someone else really steps up as PR, or if AJ REALLY steps up and Manningham comes back strong, then I see him in trouble. But with Mario out from TC, it's too much of a risk to cut him. He has been serviceable enough, and I for one have forgiven the fumbles by now (I don't hold grudges against our own players).
  • buck
  • Veteran
So, you've cut Kyle Williams and Anthony Dixon ??!!

Yup, I was really contemplating keeping Kyle, but I like the size/speed combo of Ricardo. This is contingent on Jimbo feeling confident in LMJ, Cox and possibly Patton to return punts. I really hope James makes strides this year in that roll.

As far as Dixon, I was surprised me made it last year, Im done with him. The only reason I could see keeping him around is short yardage situations, but I don't think he would be better than Miller in that roll. I would like to see Rathman take Millers game to the next level and groom him for those snaps.

Hmm, OK as far as Kyle goes, I see him as a proven or improving slot receiver with experience which should secure him a spot if he is 100% fully recovered from his ACL. I don't see AJ, Ricardo and Quinton, all 3 of them breaking out. Instead, I see 2 of them making it. I see Jim Harbaugh giving Ricardo an opportunity given his incredible measurables, but I am not convinced AJ can beat out Quinton. Even though he has added bulk, I think Quinton's conscientious work ethic will help to propel himself pass AJ, at least in the long run. Bottomline, only 1 of the 2 will make it for the start of the season.

As for Anthony, I have seen him play well on special teams on the kick recovery unit plus he can also do the short yardage. I think he still might be able to make it, just. Plus, I simply don't know enough about Jewel Hampton.

I sure hope that you're wrong, Rascal. The Niners simply have to move on from Kyle, otherwise they have done a really poor job of upgrading their WR position. KW is unfortunately not that good. Sure he's got that choppy running style, but watching him, he's not really that fast, quick-twitch, elusive, jitter-bug receiver at all. Basically you're saying that AJ is a bust, because that is the only way he should be beaten out by KW. And as for Patton beating out AJ . . . Jenkins has significantly better measurables, faster with a superior initial burst as well (according to what MM reported observing) . . . first round pick as well . . . so, again are you implying that he's a bust?

Yet are you saying that Lockette somehow leapfrogs AJ on the depth chart also? Because of measurables? While completely ignoring AJs measurables. How are you coming to these conclusions? Based upon Harbaugh's throw away remark? His working out with CK7? That's it?

While we are on the WR subject, I also hope that the Niners upgrade from Mannigham. I realize that he is a 'zone favorite, but there is a reason the Giants made NO EFFORT to retain him as their THIRD receiver. His route running is a bit sloppy and he has questionable smarts. Now that he's coming of an injury, who knows how much more he's lost. Time to give his spot to a promising newcomer, perhaps.

Boldin and Crabtree are the only locks on the squad

I think there will be an intense competition at wide receiver this year. There is a long way to go before the 53-man roster is set.
At this point, we really do not a solid basis to even make rational informed guesses.

Elements to be considered and eventually answered.

1. Manningham could lose his spot on the roster. His injuries are going to give a youngster a chance to step up.

2. Kyle Williams production as a wide receiver needs to improve. But, like Manningham, he is coming off an injury.
Granted his injury is less serious than Manningham's, but his production has not been as good.
Last year, Manningham had 42 receptions for 449 last year. In three years, Williams has had 35 receptions for 461 yards.
Kyle Williams is on the bubble.

3. Both Williams and Manningham will be free agents next year.

3. AJ Jenkins, Ricardo Lockette, and Quinton Patton could step-up between now and the end of training camp.
We have no idea if they will or if they won't. We just have to wait and see.
[ Edited by buck on May 16, 2013 at 12:25 PM ]
Not that he was in any danger of getting cut, but looks like AJ made good this offseason

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2013/05/the-skinny-aj-jenkins-muscled-up-this-offseason.html

Now lets see if it translates on the field. Still, a good sign for sure.
Share 49ersWebzone