There are 60 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

GUESS THE 53!!

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by natrone06:
How does one judge working harder?

Assertions are facts that require no evidence.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:
I would rather deactivate Boobie Dixon, keep the 5th DL active, and activate Jon Baldwin, like I mentioned earlier. We use our TEs in the backfield in pistol sets quite frequently anyway, so we wouldn't be in a terrible spot if Bruce Miller got dinged up and Boobie was inactive. Plus, with all of the LBs active (Moody and Skuta particularly), I'm not positive we really need Boobie on STs either.

We shall see, though. Will be interesting.
dixon will never be deactivated in my opinion. a mainstay on special teams and our best short down yardage back. uhm since we depend alot on the run, despite what some people think,,, we would not be in a good situation if miller got hurt and dixon could not play,, in my opinion
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by NCommand:
After game 3: A few players have worked themselves into conversations but not much changed for me...yet!

Offense: (25)
QB (3): Colin Kaepernick, Colt McCoy and B.J. Daniels - Note: It will be the Seneca Wallace-show on Thursday (if we get no bidders for McCoy).
RB (4): Frank Gore, LaMichael James, Kendall Hunter and Anthony Dixon; Marcus Lattimore (PUP) - Note: Jewel Hampton had another good game yesterday and is just a work-horse in the Gore-mold. He is a better runner than James at this point IMHO.
FB (1): Bruce Miller - Note: It's very risky not to have a pure FB here. If Miller goes down, we're in big trouble. Dixon is not a good FB/blocker and often times misses pass blocking assignments. Jason Scheplar had a great game yesterday.
WR (6): X = Marlon Moore/Jon Baldwin --- Y = Kyle Williams/Chad Hall --- Z = Anquan Boldin/Quinton Patton; Mario Manningham & Michael Crabtree (PUP) - Note: Hall will be the #6 (he started with the #1's yesterday). BUT, if Lavelle Hawkins shows again on return abilities, he could very well push Hall right off the roster. Even Osgood could be a #7 here to back up Boldin at the Z and be that RZ threat and ST gunner (two tackles yesterday and always around the ball). And this ST unit continues to be under the microscope right now (as it should be).
TE (3): Vernon Davis, Vance McDonald and MarQueis Gray (H-Back) - Note: Garrett Celek is my surprise cut here b/c of the versatility Gray will provide plus he'll be a very good ST players as well. He even wears #46 in the Delanie Walker mold. Celek has not looked good this pre season and dropped another pass yesterday but had fantastic seal blocks. Could we go with 4 TE's and only 5 WR's given VD is going to be lined up "everywhere?"
OT (3): Joe Staley, Anthony Davis and Adam Snyder (Alex Boone); Luke Marquardt (PUP) - Note: Let's pray Marquardt is the real deal b/c right now, we have very poor T's behind the starters and one injury could very well mess with the OL's chemistry. Are we going after a veteran OT?
OG (3): Mike Iupati, Alex Boone and Joe Looney (Adam Snyder) - Note: Looney did not have a good game yesterday.
C (2): Jonathan Goodwin and Daniel Kilgore (Joe Looney) - Note: Jonathan Goodwin played well yesterday still may end up being a late veteran cut or restructures his contract for a backup role if Kilgore continue to play well.

Defense: (25)
DE (3): Justin Smith, Ray McDonald and Demarcus Dobbs; Quinton Dial & Tank Carradine (PUP) - Note: Lawrence Okoye played well yesterday and could very well end up on the PS.
NT (2): Ian Williams and Glenn Dorsey - Note: I anticipate Lamar Divens going to the practice squad to develop ala Ian Williams.
OLB (5): Aldon Smith, Ahmad Brooks, Corey Lemonier, Dan Skuta and Cameron Johnson - Note: Parys Haralson was just traded. Now, do we keep 4 OLB's or 5? I'll stay with Fangio's guy at #5 for now.
ILB (4): Patrick Willis, NaVorro Bowman, Michael Wilhoite and Nick Moody
CB (6): Tarell Brown, Carlos Rogers, Nnamdi Asomugha, Perrish Cox, Tramaine Brock and Marcus Cooper; Chris Culliver & Eric Wright (PUP) - Note: Darryl Morris is playing very well and has been playing fantastic in practice. It's not over yet. Both Cooper and Morris could very well end up pushing Brock off the roster but it's a long shot right now.
S (5): Donte Whitner, Eric Reid, Craig Dahl, C.J. Spillman and Trenton Robinson - Note: Trenton Robinson had a decent camp but is esp. good on the ST coverage unit.

Special Teams: (3)
PK: Phil Dawson
P: Andy Lee
LS: Kevin McDermott - Note: I go back and forth with Brian Jennings/Kevin McDermott daily...or both not making it at all (to save a roster spot and add ST coverage); Kilgore/Looney/Goodwin can all handle the LS duties opening up another roster spot for ST coverage.

Extras:
Final Spots: Chad Hall, MarQueis Gray, Cameron Johnson and Trenton Robinson are all vying for the final spots. Lavelle Hawkins could very well be in the mix against Hall IF he proves his return abilities (and 6th WR abilities) are for real/consistent.

Pre-Chargers game update. I think Gray had a much better camp overall then Celek but he'll have to do a it again tonight to unseat him as Celek (last game) demonstrated he's a good edge-sealing TE (dropped a great pass though). I think Gray just adds way too much versatility in the role of the other #46, Delanie Walker.
Per MB via Fangio:

Bubble guys:
DE Tony Jerod-Eddie. His only publicity this offseason came when he was flagged for a hit on beloved/detested former 49ers quarterback Alex Smith. Jerod-Eddie, however, continues to build on the promise he showed as an undrafted rookie last year. The 49ers will be without Demarcus Dobbs (marijuana-related suspension) for Week 1. Defensive coordinator Vic Fangio implied this week that Dobbs, Jerod-Eddie and Will Tukuafu are fighting for two roster spots. Psquad eligible: Yes.

Read more here: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2013/08/bubble-boys-which-49ers-are-on-the-edge-of-a-roster-spot.html#storylink=cpy

If this is true, we know Dobbs has run with the #1's all off season/pre season games. So if you don't have Jerod-Ellie or Tukuafu on your 53 (and I don't) you may consider revamping. That said, neither would be active on game day I would assume (past game 1).
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 29, 2013 at 10:55 AM ]
Originally posted by cciowa:
dixon will never be deactivated in my opinion. a mainstay on special teams and our best short down yardage back. uhm since we depend alot on the run, despite what some people think,,, we would not be in a good situation if miller got hurt and dixon could not play,, in my opinion

Eh, I'd rather have Frank get the ball in short-yardage situations anyway. I've never forgiven Boobie for tripping on a shoelace with a massive hole on 3rd and short against the Giants in the '12 NFCCG.

I'd also rather have Vernon, Vance, and Celek lead blocking in an H-back role than rely on Boobie in a true fullback role a la Miller.

His special teams contributions would be missed, though.
Originally posted by fister30:
I agree that jacobs won't make the cut. This is more of a hope than what I expect. To me, baldwin is a guy who is going to disappear during games or fall down the depth chart in just a few games. He doesn't look explosive, he hasn't gotten much separation, so forth. Hopefully he proves me wrong, I would enjoy for him to prove me wrong. I just don't think he will. With Jacobs, he is an undrafted guy. He knows he always has one foot out of the NFL. He has no choice but to try to out work his competition. Jacobs is having a nice preseason. Baldwin is a SEC WR who's game isn't going to translate to the NFL. At best I see baldwin as a guy who can block well and make some of the short catches while covered. This doesn't get me excited. At some point, we will have two better versions of baldwin available in crabs and boldin. Might as well get a guy who can get separation or actually run away from somebody after the catch, whether this be jacobs, collie or whoever.

I am grateful for patton. Patton seems like the real deal.

#1. Virtually every player always has one foot out of the NFL.

#2. Baldwin played at Pitt. He did not play in the SEC. He accomplished far more there against better competition than Chuck Jacobs did at Utah State.

#3. Baldwin is not a short to intermediate guy. He averaged 16.3 yards per catch last year. Watch some of his highlights from Pitt and you will get an idea of his deep ball ability.
Originally posted by cciowa:

Eh, I'd rather have Frank get the ball in short-yardage situations anyway. I've never forgiven Boobie for tripping on a shoelace with a massive hole on 3rd and short against the Giants in the '12 NFCCG.

I'd also rather have Vernon, Vance, and Celek lead blocking in an H-back role than rely on Boobie in a true fullback role a la Miller.

His special teams contributions would be missed, though.

So many things went against us during that game. It really was ours for the taking.

I did forgive him somewhat though - he did have a big conversion on 3rd down in last year's NFCCG (it was either on the Crabtree fumble drive, or the Gore go-ahead score).
^^^ so what are your 53, you guys? LOL
#1. Virtually every player always has one foot out of the NFL.

#2. Baldwin played at Pitt. He did not play in the SEC. He accomplished far more there against better competition than Chuck Jacobs did at Utah State.

#3. Baldwin is not a short to intermediate guy. He averaged 16.3 yards per catch last year. Watch some of his highlights from Pitt and you will get an idea of his deep ball ability.

I've always viewed him as a middle of the field guy. You want him to find the soft spots in a zone and use his size to make plays.He was beating the press coverage against the vikings really well. That could be a very valuable asset to have.
[ Edited by eonblue on Aug 29, 2013 at 12:55 PM ]
QB: KAEP, MC. COY, WALLACE
RB: GOREY, LE MIKE, DIX, HUNTER, AND MILLER
WR: BOLDIN, WILLIAMS, PATTON, BALDWIN, MOORE,HAWKINS
TE: VD, MAC, GRAY, JENNINGS(LS TOO)
K: DALTON
OL: STAYLEY, IUPATI, GOODWIN, SNYDER, DAVIS, BOONE, LOONEY/KILGORE,FA (Don't like the job Looney and Kilgore have done, a new cut will take a spot)
DL: MAC, WILLIE, SMITH, DORSEY, J.EDDIE, DOBBS (J.EDDIE and DOBBS make room for Carradine and Dial when they return).
LB: WILLIS, BOWMAN, BROOKS, SMITH, WILOHOIT, MOODY, SKUTA, LEMONY
CB: ASOUMWA, RODGERS, BROWN, COX, FA (Brock gets cut, Coop and Morris to PSquad- whomever keeps Wrights spot warm)
P: LEE
S: WHITNER, DAHL, STILLMAN, REID, ROBINSON

That's 52, w/ the final spot going to DL or LB so either Cam Johnson or Tukuafu, or a FA/new cut).
[ Edited by toppdogg32 on Aug 29, 2013 at 10:51 PM ]
Originally posted by toppdogg32:
TE: VD, MAC, GRAY
OL: STAYLEY, IUPATI, GOODWIN, SNYDER, DAVIS, BOONE, LOONEY/KILGORE,FA (Don't like the job Looney and Kilgore have done, a new cut will take a spot)
DL: MAC, WILLIE, SMITH, DORSEY, J.EDDIE, DOBBS (J.EDDIE and DOBBS make room for Carradine and Dial when they return).
CB: ASOUMWA, RODGERS, BROWN, COX, FA (Brock gets cut, Coop and Morris to PSquad- whomever keeps Wrights spot warm)

That's 52, w/ the final spot going to DL or LB so either Cam Johnson or Tukuafu, or a FA/new cut).

And roll into the season w/o a long snapper?
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by toppdogg32:
TE: VD, MAC, GRAY

And roll into the season w/o a long snapper?

He obviously implied that Cam Johnson or Will Tukuafu will be the long-snapper.
Originally posted by fister30:
You'd rather have Chuck Jacobs than Jon Baldwin? Based on what?

What I've seen this preseason. Both are unproven but jacobs seems kike he's working harder. Just an observation.

There is no way, and I mean no way, Chuck Jacobs makes the active roster. He's a PS bubble guy, if that.
what has Dobbs or Tuk done this preseason? (been very quiet)
bye Collie
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
I am officially going nuts. I think Jennings is gone. The more I dig into the numbers, If we keep Jennings, we may only have $1M in cap space. I didn't take in count all the extra players on IR, PUP, NFI, and then the PS.

I thought we had 6 mil?