There are 106 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

GUESS THE 53!!

Originally posted by NCommand:
My 15 cuts from the 90 are the following: Best guess the rest of the way...

Offense:
QB: Scott Tolzien, Colt McCoy, Seneca Wallace
RB: Jewel Hampton, D.J. Harper
FB: Jason Scheplar
X: Chuck Jacobs, Lavelle Hawkins
Y (SLOT): Chad Hall, Austin Collie
Z: Kassim Osgood
TE: Garrett Celek, MarQueis Gray
LOT: Kenny Wiggins, Carter Bykowski
LG: Al Netter
RG: Wayne Tribune
ROT: Patrick Omameh

Defense:
RDE: Lawrence Okoye, Tony Jerod-Eddie
NT: Lamar Divens, Mike Purcell
LDE: Will Tukuafu
TED: Nathan Stupar, Travis Johnson
MIKE: Joe Holland
WILL: Cameron Johnson
SLOT: Darryl Morris
FS: Trenton Robinson, Michael Thomas
SS: Raymond Ventrone

Special Teams:
K: Colton Schmidt

Are you suggesting that we'll only keep 2 QBs? And the only other backup is a 7th round pick

Quarterbacks: (3) Colin Kaepernick, Colt McCoy, B.J. Daniels
Running backs: (3) Frank Gore, Kendall Hunter, LaMichael James
Fullbacks: (2) Bruce Miller, Anthony Dixon
Wide receivers: (5) Anquan Boldin, Kyle Williams, Marlon Moore, Quinton Patton, Jon Baldwin
Tight ends: (4) Vernon Davis, Vance McDonald, Garrett Celek, MarQueis Gray
Offensive tackles: (3) Joe Staley, Anthony Davis, Snyder (C/G/T )
Offensive guards: (3) Mike Iupati, Alex Boone, Joe Looney
Centers: (2) Jonathan Goodwin, Daniel Kilgore,

DT: (6) Justin Smith, Ray McDonald, Glenn Dorsey, Ian Williams, Demarcus Dobbs, Tony Jerrod-Eddie
Outside linebackers: (5) Aldon Smith, Ahmad Brooks, Corey Lemonier, Cam Johnson, Dan Skuta
Inside linebackers: (4) Patrick Willis, NaVorro Bowman, Michael, Wilhoite, Nick Moody
Cornerbacks: (5) Carlos Rogers, Tarell Brown, Nnamdi Asomugha, Perrish Cox, Tramaine Brock
Safeties: (5) Donte Whitner, Eric Reid, Craig Dahl, C.J. Spillman, Trenton Robinson
Kickers: (1) Phil Dawson
Punters: (1) Andy Lee
Long snappers: (1) Brian Jennings
The biggest questions are do they keep a young CB like Marcus Cooper over Trent Robinson or over an extra defender like Jerrod-Eddie. I think the 9ers FO is great at forecasting needs. Next year CB is going to be a big need when Rogers, Brown and Nnamdi are all gone. Will a 6-2 CB like Cooper survive on the PS?? Maybe, he did slip to the end of the draft after all.

Also, do we keep a 6th WR or a 4th TE like Gray? I like Gray's potential over Celek, but Celek is more ready to handle inline blocking for short yardage/jumbo packages.
[ Edited by DRUSTOPO on Aug 27, 2013 at 1:24 PM ]
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Are you suggesting that we'll only keep 2 QBs? And the only other backup is a 7th round pick

No, the cuts are in bold. QB's will most likely be CK, McCoy and Daniels

No, the cuts are in bold. QB's will most likely be CK, McCoy and Daniels

got it, thanks
^^^^ so we had until 1:PM PST to cut down to 75 (74, I guess). Who are the cuts? We saw Divens/Okoye (injuries) and we all knew about the long, expected list of PUP's. But who are the cuts?
got it, thanks

You bet...just my best guess...many more to come down to 53
^^^^ so we had until 1:PM PST to cut down to 75 (74, I guess). Who are the cuts? We saw Divens/Okoye (injuries) and we all knew about the long, expected list of PUP's. But who are the cuts?

We're down to 74 after waiving Divens and Okoye. That's it. Now we need to trim 21 by Saturday.

The San Francisco 49ers have placed defensive tackle Tank Carradine, defensive tackle Quinton Dial, running back Marcus Lattimore, tackle Luke Marquardt and cornerback Eric Wright on the Reserve/NFI List.

The team has also announced that wide receivers Michael Crabtree and Mario Manningham will be placed on the Reserve/PUP List.

Players on both lists do not count against the 49ers active roster, and will not be eligible to practice until at least the Tuesday following the completion of week six of the NFL schedule.

The 49ers have also placed cornerback Chris Culliver on the Injured Reserve List. Defensive tackles Lamar Divens and Lawrence Okoye have been waived/injured.

The 49ers roster currently stands at 74.
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:

We're down to 74 after waiving Divens and Okoye. That's it. Now we need to trim 21 by Saturday.

Ohhhhhh, got it. I didn't realize placing players on the PUP list basically was "trimming" the roster. I thought it had to be active, healthy players. So we went from 90 to 83 with cuts of Ricardo Lockette, Scott Tolzien, D.J. Harper, Lawrence Okoye, Lamar Divens, Joe Holland, Colton Schmidt (missing 1?) then placed 8 on PUP to get to 74. 21 more to go.

Personnel maneuvers: 49ers trim roster to 74

The 49ers reached the 75-man limit today without having to release any healthy players. Instead they transferred eight players -- including receiver Michael Crabtree -- to injury lists and waived/injured two more players, Lawrence Okoye and Lamar Divens. Okoye, the former British discus thrower, injured his knee on one of the final plays in Sunday's game.If Okoye and Divens clear waivers, the 49ers either can negotiate an injury settlement with them or place them on injured reserve.

The 49ers placed rookies Tank Carradine, Quinton Dial, Marcus Lattimore and Luke Marquardt on the reserve/non-football injury list. Cornerback Eric Wright, who has yet to join the team while he confronts a personal issue, also is on that list.Meanwhile, Crabtree and Mario Manningham will be placed on the Reserve/PUP List. Players on both lists do not count against the roster total but will not be eligible to practice until at least the Tuesday following the completion of week six of the NFL schedule.

The team also placed cornerback Chris Culliver on injured reserve. Defensive tackles Divens and Okoye were waived/injured. The 49ers roster currently stands at 74. They must trim it to 53 on Saturday.-- Matt Barrows

Read more here: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2013/08/personnel-maneuvers-49ers-trim-roster-to-53.html#storylink=cpy
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 27, 2013 at 1:35 PM ]
I don't agree with any that have Kassim Osgood, Tony Jerod-Eddie, Will Tukuafu or Bubba Ventrone. That said, this FO never ceases to surprise me either.

I think one of those four at minimum will make it. Someone has special teams value and you'd be surprised at how well Jerod-Eddie played on Sunday from the tape.
My take on the 53. Let me know what y'all think:

Offense (24)

QB: Colin Kaepernick, Colt McCoy, B.J. Daniels
RB: Frank Gore, Kendall Hunter, LaMichael James, Anthony Dixon
FB: Bruce Miller
WR: Anquan Boldin, Kyle Williams, Marlon Moore, Quinton Patton, Jon Baldwin
TE: Vernon Davis, Vance McDonald, Garrett Celek
OT: Joe Staley, Anthony Davis
OG: Mike Iupati, Alex Boone, Adam Snyder, Joe Looney
C: Jonathan Goodwin, Daniel Kilgore

Defense (26)

DE: Justin Smith, Ray McDonald, DeMarcus Dobbs, Will Tukuafu, Tony Jerod-Eddie
NT: Ian Williams, Glenn Dorsey
OLB: Aldon Smith, Ahmad Brooks, Corey Lemonier, Dan Skuta, Cam Johnson
ILB: Patrick Willis, Navorro Bowman, Michael Wilhoite, Nick Moody
CB: Carlos Rogers, Tarell Brown, Nnamdi Asomugha, Tramaine Brock, Perrish Cox
FS: Eric Reid, Craig Dahl, Trenton Robinson
SS: Donte Whitner, C.J. Spillman

Special Teams (3)

K: Phil Dawson
P: Andy Lee
LS: Brian Jennings

Couple of notes:

• We keep 5 receivers to start the season. Could be 7 by the end of the year. Wanted more defensive players for the time being.
  • Went heavy at DL, LB, S. Great front 7 and special team depth while we wait for some guys to return from injury.
  • 2 defensive players will be cut when Crabtree and Mario return.
  • 2 out of these 3 will be cut when/if Carradine and Dial return: Dobbs, Tukuafu, Jerod-Eddie
[ Edited by SofaKing on Aug 27, 2013 at 7:07 PM ]
Originally posted by SofaKing:
My take on the 53. Let me know what y'all think:

Offense (24)

QB: Colin Kaepernick, Colt McCoy, B.J. Daniels
RB: Frank Gore, Kendall Hunter, LaMichael James, Anthony Dixon
FB: Bruce Miller
WR: Anquan Boldin, Kyle Williams, Marlon Moore, Marcus Patton, Jon Baldwin
TE: Vernon Davis, Vance McDonald, Garrett Celek
OT: Joe Staley, Anthony Davis
OG: Mike Iupati, Alex Boone, Adam Snyder, Joe Looney
C: Jonathan Goodwin, Daniel Kilgore

Defense (26)

DE: Justin Smith, Ray McDonald, DeMarcus Dobbs, Will Tukuafu, Tony Jerod-Eddie
NT: Ian Williams, Glenn Dorsey
OLB: Aldon Smith, Ahmad Brooks, Corey Lemonier, Dan Skuta, Cam Johnson
ILB: Patrick Willis, Navorro Bowman, Michael Wilhoite, Nick Moody
CB: Carlos Rogers, Tarell Brown, Nnamdi Asomugha, Tramaine Brock, Perrish Cox
FS: Eric Reid, Craig Dahl, Trenton Robinson
SS: Donte Whitner, C.J. Spillman

Special Teams (3)

K: Phil Dawson
P: Andy Lee
LS: Brian Jennings

Couple of notes:

• We keep 5 receivers to start the season. Could be 7 by the end of the year. Wanted more defensive players for the time being.
  • Went heavy at DL, LB, S. Great front 7 and special team depth while we wait for some guys to return from injury.
  • 2 defensive players will be cut when Crabtree and Mario return.
  • 2 out of these 3 will be cut when/if Carradine and Dial return: Dobbs, Tukuafu, Jerod-Eddie

Perfect--except for "Marcus" Patton.

Only thing I might change is keeping a ST guy elsewhere instead of Tony Jerod-Eddie. Maybe Kassim Osgood for ST purposes and an extra WR in case someone goes down.
[ Edited by JamesGatz83 on Aug 27, 2013 at 7:00 PM ]
Perfect--except for "Marcus" Patton.

Only thing I might change is keeping a ST guy elsewhere instead of Tony Jerod-Eddie. Maybe Kassim Osgood for ST purposes and an extra WR in case someone goes down.

Thanks for pointing out that typo! Fixed

I too thought about dropping Jerod-Eddie for Osgood, but ultimately I figured its pretty much guaranteed Osgood gets cut once Manningham and/or Crab returns. I kept Jerod-Eddie who has a better chance of sticking on the roster and developing. And I love front 7 depth.

I too thought about dropping Jerod-Eddie for Osgood, but ultimately I figured its pretty much guaranteed Osgood gets cut once Manningham and/or Crab returns. I kept Jerod-Eddie who has a better chance of sticking on the roster and developing. And I love front 7 depth.

Can't argue with you there at all. I'd rather have front 7 depth, too.

Tricky to make a 53-man roster when we have so many guys slated to return in a few weeks. Things will change considerably when guys get healthy. Not sure who gets cut when Dial and Carradine come back.
[ Edited by JamesGatz83 on Aug 27, 2013 at 7:17 PM ]

Can't argue with you there at all. I'd rather have front 7 depth, too.

Tricky to make a 53-man roster when we have so many guys slated to return in a few weeks. Things will change considerably when guys get healthy. Not sure who gets cut when Dial and Carradine come back.
I would go with Hawkins over Jerod-Eddie. Or maybe over Cam Johnson.

I think he provides depth and big play ability on both offence and special teams. And he seems pretty reliable on the short slant routes.

But that's just my take....

Everything else seems spot on.