LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 266 users in the forums

GUESS THE 53!!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
^^^^ so we had until 1:PM PST to cut down to 75 (74, I guess). Who are the cuts? We saw Divens/Okoye (injuries) and we all knew about the long, expected list of PUP's. But who are the cuts?
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
got it, thanks

You bet...just my best guess...many more to come down to 53
Originally posted by NCommand:
^^^^ so we had until 1:PM PST to cut down to 75 (74, I guess). Who are the cuts? We saw Divens/Okoye (injuries) and we all knew about the long, expected list of PUP's. But who are the cuts?

We're down to 74 after waiving Divens and Okoye. That's it. Now we need to trim 21 by Saturday.

The San Francisco 49ers have placed defensive tackle Tank Carradine, defensive tackle Quinton Dial, running back Marcus Lattimore, tackle Luke Marquardt and cornerback Eric Wright on the Reserve/NFI List.

The team has also announced that wide receivers Michael Crabtree and Mario Manningham will be placed on the Reserve/PUP List.

Players on both lists do not count against the 49ers active roster, and will not be eligible to practice until at least the Tuesday following the completion of week six of the NFL schedule.

The 49ers have also placed cornerback Chris Culliver on the Injured Reserve List. Defensive tackles Lamar Divens and Lawrence Okoye have been waived/injured.

The 49ers roster currently stands at 74.
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:

We're down to 74 after waiving Divens and Okoye. That's it. Now we need to trim 21 by Saturday.

Ohhhhhh, got it. I didn't realize placing players on the PUP list basically was "trimming" the roster. I thought it had to be active, healthy players. So we went from 90 to 83 with cuts of Ricardo Lockette, Scott Tolzien, D.J. Harper, Lawrence Okoye, Lamar Divens, Joe Holland, Colton Schmidt (missing 1?) then placed 8 on PUP to get to 74. 21 more to go.

Personnel maneuvers: 49ers trim roster to 74

The 49ers reached the 75-man limit today without having to release any healthy players. Instead they transferred eight players -- including receiver Michael Crabtree -- to injury lists and waived/injured two more players, Lawrence Okoye and Lamar Divens. Okoye, the former British discus thrower, injured his knee on one of the final plays in Sunday's game.If Okoye and Divens clear waivers, the 49ers either can negotiate an injury settlement with them or place them on injured reserve.

The 49ers placed rookies Tank Carradine, Quinton Dial, Marcus Lattimore and Luke Marquardt on the reserve/non-football injury list. Cornerback Eric Wright, who has yet to join the team while he confronts a personal issue, also is on that list.Meanwhile, Crabtree and Mario Manningham will be placed on the Reserve/PUP List. Players on both lists do not count against the roster total but will not be eligible to practice until at least the Tuesday following the completion of week six of the NFL schedule.

The team also placed cornerback Chris Culliver on injured reserve. Defensive tackles Divens and Okoye were waived/injured. The 49ers roster currently stands at 74. They must trim it to 53 on Saturday.-- Matt Barrows

Read more here: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2013/08/personnel-maneuvers-49ers-trim-roster-to-53.html#storylink=cpy
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 27, 2013 at 1:35 PM ]
I don't agree with any that have Kassim Osgood, Tony Jerod-Eddie, Will Tukuafu or Bubba Ventrone. That said, this FO never ceases to surprise me either.

I think one of those four at minimum will make it. Someone has special teams value and you'd be surprised at how well Jerod-Eddie played on Sunday from the tape.
My take on the 53. Let me know what y'all think:

Offense (24)

QB: Colin Kaepernick, Colt McCoy, B.J. Daniels
RB: Frank Gore, Kendall Hunter, LaMichael James, Anthony Dixon
FB: Bruce Miller
WR: Anquan Boldin, Kyle Williams, Marlon Moore, Quinton Patton, Jon Baldwin
TE: Vernon Davis, Vance McDonald, Garrett Celek
OT: Joe Staley, Anthony Davis
OG: Mike Iupati, Alex Boone, Adam Snyder, Joe Looney
C: Jonathan Goodwin, Daniel Kilgore

Defense (26)

DE: Justin Smith, Ray McDonald, DeMarcus Dobbs, Will Tukuafu, Tony Jerod-Eddie
NT: Ian Williams, Glenn Dorsey
OLB: Aldon Smith, Ahmad Brooks, Corey Lemonier, Dan Skuta, Cam Johnson
ILB: Patrick Willis, Navorro Bowman, Michael Wilhoite, Nick Moody
CB: Carlos Rogers, Tarell Brown, Nnamdi Asomugha, Tramaine Brock, Perrish Cox
FS: Eric Reid, Craig Dahl, Trenton Robinson
SS: Donte Whitner, C.J. Spillman

Special Teams (3)

K: Phil Dawson
P: Andy Lee
LS: Brian Jennings

Couple of notes:

• We keep 5 receivers to start the season. Could be 7 by the end of the year. Wanted more defensive players for the time being.
  • Went heavy at DL, LB, S. Great front 7 and special team depth while we wait for some guys to return from injury.
  • 2 defensive players will be cut when Crabtree and Mario return.
  • 2 out of these 3 will be cut when/if Carradine and Dial return: Dobbs, Tukuafu, Jerod-Eddie
[ Edited by SofaKing on Aug 27, 2013 at 7:07 PM ]
Originally posted by SofaKing:
My take on the 53. Let me know what y'all think:

Offense (24)

QB: Colin Kaepernick, Colt McCoy, B.J. Daniels
RB: Frank Gore, Kendall Hunter, LaMichael James, Anthony Dixon
FB: Bruce Miller
WR: Anquan Boldin, Kyle Williams, Marlon Moore, Marcus Patton, Jon Baldwin
TE: Vernon Davis, Vance McDonald, Garrett Celek
OT: Joe Staley, Anthony Davis
OG: Mike Iupati, Alex Boone, Adam Snyder, Joe Looney
C: Jonathan Goodwin, Daniel Kilgore

Defense (26)

DE: Justin Smith, Ray McDonald, DeMarcus Dobbs, Will Tukuafu, Tony Jerod-Eddie
NT: Ian Williams, Glenn Dorsey
OLB: Aldon Smith, Ahmad Brooks, Corey Lemonier, Dan Skuta, Cam Johnson
ILB: Patrick Willis, Navorro Bowman, Michael Wilhoite, Nick Moody
CB: Carlos Rogers, Tarell Brown, Nnamdi Asomugha, Tramaine Brock, Perrish Cox
FS: Eric Reid, Craig Dahl, Trenton Robinson
SS: Donte Whitner, C.J. Spillman

Special Teams (3)

K: Phil Dawson
P: Andy Lee
LS: Brian Jennings

Couple of notes:

• We keep 5 receivers to start the season. Could be 7 by the end of the year. Wanted more defensive players for the time being.
  • Went heavy at DL, LB, S. Great front 7 and special team depth while we wait for some guys to return from injury.
  • 2 defensive players will be cut when Crabtree and Mario return.
  • 2 out of these 3 will be cut when/if Carradine and Dial return: Dobbs, Tukuafu, Jerod-Eddie

Perfect--except for "Marcus" Patton.

Only thing I might change is keeping a ST guy elsewhere instead of Tony Jerod-Eddie. Maybe Kassim Osgood for ST purposes and an extra WR in case someone goes down.
[ Edited by JamesGatz83 on Aug 27, 2013 at 7:00 PM ]
Perfect--except for "Marcus" Patton.

Only thing I might change is keeping a ST guy elsewhere instead of Tony Jerod-Eddie. Maybe Kassim Osgood for ST purposes and an extra WR in case someone goes down.

Thanks for pointing out that typo! Fixed

I too thought about dropping Jerod-Eddie for Osgood, but ultimately I figured its pretty much guaranteed Osgood gets cut once Manningham and/or Crab returns. I kept Jerod-Eddie who has a better chance of sticking on the roster and developing. And I love front 7 depth.

I too thought about dropping Jerod-Eddie for Osgood, but ultimately I figured its pretty much guaranteed Osgood gets cut once Manningham and/or Crab returns. I kept Jerod-Eddie who has a better chance of sticking on the roster and developing. And I love front 7 depth.

Can't argue with you there at all. I'd rather have front 7 depth, too.

Tricky to make a 53-man roster when we have so many guys slated to return in a few weeks. Things will change considerably when guys get healthy. Not sure who gets cut when Dial and Carradine come back.
[ Edited by JamesGatz83 on Aug 27, 2013 at 7:17 PM ]

Can't argue with you there at all. I'd rather have front 7 depth, too.

Tricky to make a 53-man roster when we have so many guys slated to return in a few weeks. Things will change considerably when guys get healthy. Not sure who gets cut when Dial and Carradine come back.
I would go with Hawkins over Jerod-Eddie. Or maybe over Cam Johnson.

I think he provides depth and big play ability on both offence and special teams. And he seems pretty reliable on the short slant routes.

But that's just my take....

Everything else seems spot on.
Let me do a new 46 man projection.

1. QB Colin Kaepernick
2. QB Colt McCoy
3. RB Frank Gore
4. RB Kendall Hunter
5. RB LaMichael James
6. RB/FB/ST Anthony Dixon
7. FB Bruce Miller
8. WR Anquan Boldin
9. WR Marlon Moore
10. WR Kyle Williams
11. WR Quinton Patton
12. TE Vernon Davis
13. TE Vance McDonald
14. C Jonathan Goodwin
15. C/OG Daniel Kilgore
16. LG Mike Iupati
17. RG Alex Boone
18. RG/OT Adam Snyder
19. LT Joe Staley
20. RT Anthony Davis
21. DE Justin Smith
22. DE Ray McDonald
23. NT Ian Williams
24. NT/DE Glenn Dorsey
25. OLB Aldon Smith
26. OLB Ahmad Brooks
27. OLB Corey Lemonier
28. OLB Dan Skuta
29. ILB Patrck Willis
30. ILB NaVorro Bowman
31. ILB Michael Wilhoite
32. ILB Nick Moody
33. CB Carlos Rogers
34. CB Tarell Brown
35. CB Nnamdi Asomugha
36. CB Perrish Cox
37. FS Eric Reid
38. FS/SS Craig Dahl
39. FS/SS C.J. Spillman
40. SS Donte Whitner
41. PK Phil Dawson
42. P Andy Lee
43. LS Brian Jennings
44. TE Garrett Celek
45. CB Tramaine Brock
46. DE Will Tukuafu

Inactive 7:

47. QB B.J. Daniels
48. LG/C Joe Looney
49. WR Jon Baldwin
50. OLB Cam Johnson
51. DE Tony Jerod-Eddie
52. TE MarQuies Gray or S Trenton Robinson or a WR
53. CB Marcus Cooper or Darryl Morris
54. DE Demarcus Dobbs (Suspended list for 1 week)

Note: that Crabtree, Manningham, Carradine, and Dial are expected back. So we need to open up 4 spots, likely Dobbs, Tukuafu, TJE, 2 for Dial and Tank. Then Take roster spot 52 for Mario, and 50 for Crabtree, or some combination. Also Wright could come back, maybe over Brock, or a CB already on roster.

Also note, any player with over 4 seasons accrued are considered vested veterans, and have salary guaranteed after week 1 if on roster.

Also, Dobbs will lose a week check(roughly $32,647K) Plus Crabtree will lose at least 6 game checks for his per game day 46 man roster bonus, which would be $31,250 per game, or $187,500K.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Let me do a new 46 man projection.

1. QB Colin Kaepernick
2. QB Colt McCoy
3. RB Frank Gore
4. RB Kendall Hunter
5. RB LaMichael James
6. RB/FB/ST Anthony Dixon
7. FB Bruce Miller
8. WR Anquan Boldin
9. WR Marlon Moore
10. WR Kyle Williams
11. WR Quinton Patton
12. TE Vernon Davis
13. TE Vance McDonald
14. C Jonathan Goodwin
15. C/OG Daniel Kilgore
16. LG Mike Iupati
17. RG Alex Boone
18. RG/OT Adam Snyder
19. LT Joe Staley
20. RT Anthony Davis
21. DE Justin Smith
22. DE Ray McDonald
23. NT Ian Williams
24. NT/DE Glenn Dorsey
25. OLB Aldon Smith
26. OLB Ahmad Brooks
27. OLB Corey Lemonier
28. OLB Dan Skuta
29. ILB Patrck Willis
30. ILB NaVorro Bowman
31. ILB Michael Wilhoite
32. ILB Nick Moody
33. CB Carlos Rogers
34. CB Tarell Brown
35. CB Nnamdi Asomugha
36. CB Perrish Cox
37. FS Eric Reid
38. FS/SS Craig Dahl
39. FS/SS C.J. Spillman
40. SS Donte Whitner
41. PK Phil Dawson
42. P Andy Lee
43. LS Brian Jennings
44. TE Garrett Celek
45. CB Tramaine Brock
46. DE Will Tukuafu

Inactive 7:

47. QB B.J. Daniels
48. LG/C Joe Looney
49. WR Jon Baldwin
50. OLB Cam Johnson
51. DE Tony Jerod-Eddie
52. TE MarQuies Gray or S Trenton Robinson or a WR
53. CB Marcus Cooper or Darryl Morris
54. DE Demarcus Dobbs (Suspended list for 1 week)

Note: that Crabtree, Manningham, Carradine, and Dial are expected back. So we need to open up 4 spots, likely Dobbs, Tukuafu, TJE, 2 for Dial and Tank. Then Take roster spot 52 for Mario, and 50 for Crabtree, or some combination. Also Wright could come back, maybe over Brock, or a CB already on roster.

Also note, any player with over 4 seasons accrued are considered vested veterans, and have salary guaranteed after week 1 if on roster.

Also, Dobbs will lose a week check(roughly $32,647K) Plus Crabtree will lose at least 6 game checks for his per game day 46 man roster bonus, which would be $31,250 per game, or $187,500K.

Nice projection, AB. Thoughts on sitting Dixon down in favor of Baldwin? I figure we could just go to more pistol if Miller was banged up, given that we use our TEs in the backfield frequently in those sets. Plus, with 8 active LBs (including Skuta and Moody), we should be able to cover for Dixon on STs, no? Granted I don't know enough about our specific units to say for certain.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
serious question: based on preseason tape, who's a better QB, colt mccoy or pat white?
Originally posted by xcfan:
serious question: based on preseason tape, who's a better QB, colt mccoy or pat white?

I don't like to base colt mccoy on his preseason tape, because he was running for his life for two games
Share 49ersWebzone