There are 46 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

GUESS THE 53!!

I can agree with the four that I posted earlier. I notice how only a few decisions vary throughout the secondary, but interesting that Inman has 11 secondary players, which is where I disagree.
Originally posted by NCommand:
So b/c Dobbs is suspended one game, he doesn't count against the roster? That doesn't make sense...BTW: I noticed Dobbs had a right knee brace on last game.

Makes perfect sense. Suspended players don't count against the 53-man roster.
I'm with you on this one. They were also trying out Patton back there as well. Clearly, they aren't impressed with James/Hall/Cox back there and I wonder if we'll even use Williams there at all (now).

I'd be STOKED if Hawkins can take this spot and add a "real" threat back there and contribute a bit at WR in some packages (like we saw on Sunday with him in the X and Y positions). If he can play both, he'd be activated. Period.

But yeah, James, he just doesn't seem explosive on any level. Aside from his Tully Banta-Cain spin-cycle move, he's been "meh." Granted, there hasn't been a ton of holes all pre season. And it seems like we've been working him in between the tackles some as well. But look at him compared to Hunter. Hunter has explosiveness inside and outside the tackles and everytime he catches the ball. He's decisive, quick AND fast. Hell, if I was being totally objective, as a backup runner to Gore, I'd take Hampton over James. That dude is a grinder and he also showed some off-tackle speed aside from the poundage between the tackles (and he fights for that extra yard/two).

Yea, I saw them trying out Patton too, but nah. Like I said, the truth is good kick returners are hard to find. Seriously, if we cut Hawkins we will only be shooting ourselves in the foot. Besides, is not like he can't play WR neither.

As for James, if you want to talk about him on the RB level as well, quite frankly I am still hurting from that draft. I wanted to do exactly what the Giants did and go for David Wilson in the 1st and Rueben Randle in the 2nd as opposed to Jenkins and LMJ. I have always preferred RBs that can run with power, not only does David Wilson has power, he has far more football speed too. I know there are a lot of LMJ fans on WZ, but sorry, like you said there is just no explosiveness there and the speed that most people say he has is just not translated onto the field. Apart from that, he is too small and too slight. You see you can be small, but strong at the same time like Kendall Hunter. LMJ just lacks physicality and that is why he can be easily brought down. I have to agree with you even Hampton has more power. RBs is 2nd on my list of things to fix after WRs. I know we have Lattimore, I know a lot of people like him, but to me he is more of a finesse type RB who is great with his cuts and running through lanes. I still wish we could have a power back too.
Originally posted by Wrathman:
The only players that looked comfortable returning kicks were Cox and Hawkins.

I would agree with that. Cox, to me is the only other guy I can see who has the potential to do it. Other than that noone else can, be it James, Williams or Patton.
I am not a LMJ homer, however, once we start the regular season and get out of our vanilla offense, he will look more explosive. He's a nice 3rd option. BTW, Dixon is looking like a pretty good 4th option. Short yardage running has improved. Much more decisive.
Originally posted by Wrathman:
I agree LMJ has not looked explosive at all as a RB or KR. He always looks like he is on the verge of coughing up the ball.

I have said it before, LMJ is overrated. I remember after that draft, a lot of Ducks fans were saying to me man you guys are so lucky and the 9ers won't be disappointed so on and so forth. So, I was really looking forward to seeing him in action last year, but quite frankly the performance has been pretty flat and nothing special.
[ Edited by Rascal on Aug 27, 2013 at 10:09 AM ]
Updated list from my post earlier:

Branch

Inman

Maiocco

Gin

Biderman

Bay Area Sports Guy

Niners Nation (Fucillo)

Who do you agree or disagree with?
Originally posted by Burnzie88:

Branch

Inman

Maiocco

Gin

Biderman

Bay Area Sports Guy

Niners Nation (Fucillo)

I think Biderman is spot on, although, I like Bay Area Sports Guy's personally.
[ Edited by 60sFan on Aug 27, 2013 at 11:33 AM ]
Originally posted by Burnzie88:

Branch

Inman

Maiocco

Gin

Biderman

Bay Area Sports Guy

Niners Nation (Fucillo)

I don't agree with any that have Kassim Osgood, Tony Jerod-Eddie, Will Tukuafu or Bubba Ventrone. That said, this FO never ceases to surprise me either.
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 27, 2013 at 11:49 AM ]
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:
So b/c Dobbs is suspended one game, he doesn't count against the roster? That doesn't make sense...BTW: I noticed Dobbs had a right knee brace on last game.

Makes perfect sense. Suspended players don't count against the 53-man roster.

Are we sure about that? Isn't that the punishment to the team (that he counts for a roster spot)? Even then, why keep someone like Will Tukuafu or Tony Jerod-Eddie for one game only to dump him when Dobbs comes back for week 2. We'd have 5 DL, a few who can play both DE an NT and if we get in a pinch, Brooks and Aldon can play DE in a 4-man DL. That makes no sense...
I like the Bay Area Sports Guy roster. 4TEs and 6 DBs (liking Cooper) is what I'd like to see. 2 NTs is good enough. I think 5 WRs is viable due to Patton and Baldwin looking serviceable.

Only drawback here is a lack of a speedy STs guy, whether it be a return man (Hawkins), or a gunner (Osgood). This is where I am going back and forth. Another speedy STs guy? Or a 6th CB?
Are we sure about that? Isn't that the punishment to the team (that he counts for a roster spot)? Even then, why keep someone like Will Tukuafu or Tony Jerod-Eddie for one game only to dump him when Dobbs comes back for week 2. We'd have 5 DL, a few who can play both DE an NT and if we get in a pinch, Brooks and Aldon can play DE in a 4-man DL. That makes no sense...

Well, someone is getting dumped when Dobbs comes back regardless. Why wouldn't you just stick another DL in as a placeholder for one week?

And from an article about a suspended player (you can find about a million examples just by googling the question)...

""As far as what it does to our corner depth, it's one less corner that we have," Harbaugh said. "We will be missing Asa for the first eight weeks. Whether he'll be back after that, time will tell. It doesn't count against your 53-man roster. It just means he's out of the picture."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bal-ravens-corner-asa-jackson-suspended-eight-games-for-violating-nfl-performanceenhancing-drug-policy-20130802,0,2238328.story
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:

Well, someone is getting dumped when Dobbs comes back regardless. Why wouldn't you just stick another DL in as a placeholder for one week?

And from an article about a suspended player (you can find about a million examples just by googling the question)...

""As far as what it does to our corner depth, it's one less corner that we have," Harbaugh said. "We will be missing Asa for the first eight weeks. Whether he'll be back after that, time will tell. It doesn't count against your 53-man roster. It just means he's out of the picture."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bal-ravens-corner-asa-jackson-suspended-eight-games-for-violating-nfl-performanceenhancing-drug-policy-20130802,0,2238328.story

Thank you...I saw one of the 53 projections above noting we may just go 52 that first week then knowing we'll have Dobbs back the next week.
Thank you...I saw one of the 53 projections above noting we may just go 52 that first week then knowing we'll have Dobbs back the next week.

I mean, we could do that too. We can only dress 46 anyway. Having 6 inactives vs. 7 inactives doesn't much matter.
My 15 cuts from the 90 are the following: Best guess the rest of the way...

Offense:
QB: Scott Tolzien, Colt McCoy, Seneca Wallace
RB: Jewel Hampton, D.J. Harper
FB: Jason Scheplar
X: Chuck Jacobs, Lavelle Hawkins
Y (SLOT): Chad Hall, Austin Collie
Z: Kassim Osgood
TE: Garrett Celek, MarQueis Gray
LOT: Kenny Wiggins, Carter Bykowski
LG: Al Netter
RG: Wayne Tribune
ROT: Patrick Omameh