Inactive(47-53)
47- QB Daniels
48-
49-
50-
51-
52-
53-

As you can see I have 44 locks IMO. I'm stuck on the final 3 actives, and final 6 inactives.

Nice AB! You helped illustrate my point about keeping Osgood as the #6 for ST. The #5 WR may not even suite up. Man, Seely is going to have to sell his soul to get "his" guys even active. Duel-roles is even more critical.

I figure the final 3 spots are a DE, TE, and WR or DB, whichever makes more sense ST wise.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
I figure the final 3 spots are a DE, TE, and WR or DB, whichever makes more sense ST wise.

Well here are the boys on our coverage units (first wave); maybe this will be a hint: Coverage: *Reid, *Morris, **Osgood, **Dahl, Skuta, Dixon, Brock, **Robinson, *Moody, *Spillman, Johnson, Cox, Wilhoite, *Patton, et al.

Read more at http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/174331-preseason-2013-week-thoughts-rewatching-game/page6/#bgsDjFeKkzuWAVf5.99
Originally posted by NCommand:

Well here are the boys on our coverage units (first wave); maybe this will be a hint: Coverage: *Reid, *Morris, **Osgood, **Dahl, Skuta, Dixon, Brock, **Robinson, *Moody, *Spillman, Johnson, Cox, Wilhoite, *Patton, et al.

Read more at http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/174331-preseason-2013-week-thoughts-rewatching-game/page6/#bgsDjFeKkzuWAVf5.99

Of those, only Morris, Osgood & Robinson are not locks

Oh and I didnt have Brock, I think he makes it, but I am not a fan of him.
[ Edited by AB83Rules on Aug 26, 2013 at 7:22 PM ]
If we only keep 5 receivers they would all be active... have we only activated 4 WRs in the past? Seems a little unrealistic considering the injury past we've had.
Originally posted by 5280High:
If we only keep 5 receivers they would all be active... have we only activated 4 WRs in the past? Seems a little unrealistic considering the injury past we've had.

We use 2-TE sets... not necessary to have 5 active WR's.
Originally posted by NickSh49:

We use 2-TE sets... not necessary to have 5 active WR's.

Yeah I got that, but the offense molds into whatever Harbaugh and Roman want to run on that sunday. Doesnt answer the question though, do we activate 4 or 5 receivers on game day? 4 seems too light, one injury and youre down to 3 receivers for the rest of the game. Pretty sure they activated 5 in the past with Jenkins as the 6th not dressing.
Here are 53-man projections from Writers that I saw.

Eric Branch

Niners Nation (David Fucillo)

Matt Maiocco

Christian Gin

I think in past we had only 4, maybe a 5th if he brought ST value. Last yr was 5 every game, mainly cause of Ginn and Williams, for returns.
Originally posted by Burnzie88:

Eric Branch

Matt Maiocco

Christian Gin

I'll have mine up after 4 eastern tomorrow when cuts are announced.
Nice AB! You helped illustrate my point about keeping Osgood as the #6 for ST. The #5 WR may not even suite up. Man, Seely is going to have to sell his soul to get "his" guys even active. Duel-roles is even more critical.
en garde!

With Haralson gone will be interesting to see if we still keep 5 OLB or 4. Brooks, Smith, Lemonier, Skuta, Cam Johnson? Good luck predicting our roster. Probably more surprises on the way.

Does Moore play on coverage teams?
Originally posted by SammyFrancisco:
Does Moore play on coverage teams?

You know, that's a good question. I don't believe I've seen him out there. If he is going to be one of our top WR's, he may not be out there on coverage units (so we lose another great gunner: lost Lockette, Moore, Osgood isn't expected to make it and I'm not sure about Morris). That's your 4 best gunners on the team, by far.
Originally posted by Burnzie88:

Eric Branch

Matt Maiocco

Christian Gin

I'll have mine up after 4 eastern tomorrow when cuts are announced.

Here is another one by Cam Inman:

How will the rest of the 49ers' 53-man roster look at week's end? Well, five cuts were made Monday – topped by quarterback Scott Tolzien's ouster – and outside linebacker Parys Haralson got dealt to the New Orleans Saints. Others released were offensive lineman Al Netter, punter Colton Schmidt, linebacker Joe Holland and running back D.J. Harper. The 49ers must pare nine more players from their roster by Tuesday at 1 p.m. to reach a 75-man limit. After Thursday night's exhibition finale at San Diego, the roster gets trimmed again. Here is how that initial, 53-man squad might look as compared to the start of the week:

Quarterback (3 of 5)
Who stays: *Colin Kaepernick, Colt McCoy, B.J. Daniels
Who goes: Seneca Wallace, Scott Tolzien
Analysis: McCoy convinced Jim Harbaugh that he can be Kaepernick's top backup. Daniels' sample size is minimal (two fourth-quarter stints), but he's now too promising to try slipping through waivers to the practice squad. Wallace became an option in case McCoy got traded, which isn't happening. Plus, Wallace's $840,000 salary becomes guaranteed if he makes the Week 1 roster.

Running back (5 of 9)
Who stays: *Frank Gore, *Bruce Miller (FB), Kendall Hunter, LaMichael James, Anthony Dixon.
Note: Marcus Lattimore remains on non-football-injury list and doesn't count on the 53-man roster.
Who goes: Jewell Hampton, D.J. Harper, Jason Schepler (FB)
Analysis: It's the same stable of running backs as last season, bolstered by Hunter's return from a Nov. 25 Achilles tear. Gore wants to prove he can still be the man at age 30. James still looks far from a complete back.

Wide receiver (6 of 12)
Who stays: *Anquan Boldin, *Kyle Williams, Marlon Moore, Quinton Patton, Jon Baldwin, Kassim Osgood
Note: Michael Crabtree, Mario Manningham stay on physically-unable-to-perform list and don't count on the 53-man roster.
Who goes: Austin Collie, Lavelle Hawkins, Chad Hall, Chuck Jacobs
Analysis: Boldin is the top target amid a group lacking experience and star power. Williams apparently will sit out all exhibition season after last season's knee injury but looks ready. Moore, Patton and Baldwin have a window to shine with Crabtree and Manningham sidelined. Osgood ($940,000 salary) may be too costly despite his special-teams impact.

Tight end (3 of 4)
Who stays: *Vernon Davis, Vance McDonald, Garrett Celek
Who goes: MarQueis Gray
Analysis: Davis and McDonald will pick up the receiving slack. The 49ers already invested a year into Celek's development so that could offset his drops and blocking issues. Gray, a converted quarterback from the University of Minnesota, is a great candidate for the practice squad, if not the active roster.

Offensive line (8 of 14)
Who stays: *Joe Staley (LT), *Mike Iupati (LG), *Jonathan Goodwin (C), *Alex Boone (RG), *Anthony Davis (RT), Daniel Kilgore (G/C), Adam Snyder (OL), Joe Looney (G/C).
Note: Luke Marquardt stays on non-football-injury list and doesn't count on the 53-man roster.
Who goes: Kenny Wiggins (T), Al Netter (G), Patrick Omameh (OL), Wayne Tribue (G), Carter Bykowski (T)
Analysis: The 49ers like their eight-man group, including the same five who started every game last season. Snyder returns after a year in Arizona to serve as the swing tackle.

Defensive line (6 of 12)
Who stays: *Justin Smith (DT), *Ray McDonald (DT), *Ian Williams (NT), Glenn Dorsey (NT), Will Tukuafu (DT), Tony Jerod-Eddie (DT).
Note: Tank Carradine, Quinton Dial start on non-football-injury list and don't count on the 53-man roster.
Who goes:Lawrence Okoye (DT), Mike Purcell (NT), Lamar Divens (NT)
Analysis: Dorsey is the only newcomer to a solid front. Demarcus Dobbs will be welcomed back after a Week 1 suspension, at which time a roster spot must be created. Dorsey, Jerod-Eddie and Tukuafu provide needed depth, and Tukuafu might get cut once Dobbs returns.

Ouside linebacker (4 of 5):
Who stays: *Aldon Smith, *Ahmad Brooks, Corey Lemonier, Dan Skuta
Who goes: Cam Johnson
Analysis: Parys Haralson's trade Monday underscored the team's best depth at this position in Vic Fangio's three seasons as coordinator. Lemonier and Skuta add special teams value. Johnson hurt his shoulder Sunday.

Inside linebacker (4 of 7)
Who stays: *Patrick Willis, *NaVarro Bowman, Michael Wilhoite, Nick Moody
Who goes: Nate Stupar, Travis Johnson, Joe Holland
Analysis: Willis' hand injury has given Wilhoite a ton of reps in practice and exhibitions. Bowman looks in All-Pro form even without Willis next to him. Moody has a bright future.

Cornerback (5 of 9)
Who stays: *Carlos Rogers, *Tarell Brown, Nnamdi Asomugha, Tramaine Brock, Perrish Cox
Note: Eric Wright remains on non-football-injury list and doesn't count on the 53-man roster.
Who goes: Chris Culliver (injured reserve), Marcus Cooper, Darryl Morris
Analysis: It looks like Asomugha will win the No. 3 cornerback spot ahead of Brock, a role left vacant by Chris Culliver's season-ending knee injury in camp.

Safety (6 of 7)
Who stays: *Donte Whitner, *Eric Reid, C.J. Spillman, Craig Dahl, Bubba Ventrone, Michael Thomas
Who goes: Trenton Robinson
Analysis: Reid has stepped up and earned Dashon Goldson's old spot at free safety. Spillman, Dahl and Ventrone will earn their keep mainly on special teams.

Long snapper (1 of 2)
Who stays: *Brian Jennings
Who goes: Kevin McDermott
Analysis: Jennings, a 14th-year veteran, remains at the top of his craft and has big-stage experience. His salary jeopardized him more than McDermott.

Punter (1 of 2)
Who stays: *Andy Lee
Who goes: Colton Schmidt
Analysis: Lee's a lock even though the undrafted Schmidt has a 50.3 gross average and 47.0 net.

Kicker (1 of 1):
Who stays: Phil Dawson
Analysis: Dawson is 3-for-3 on field-goal attempts from 50 yards or longer.

I wouldn't be surprised if:
– Wallace makes the team with the other three QBs. One league personnel exec told me tonight Daniels would get signed elsewhere if the 49ers waived him.
– Osgood and Ventrone don't make it, even though they were signed as special-teams aces and that unit needs studs.
– Gray beats out Celek.
– The 49ers leave a spot open and come out with a 52-man roster, which they'll fill with a castoff from another team.
– Jennings loses out to football's harsh economics.
– An extra defensive lineman is added to replace Dobbs for Week 1, although I kind of did that with Tukuafu.
Wow, really? ^^^

Only 5 CB's (we do face GB week 1 right?). And 6 S's? LOL...Bubba Ventrone & Michael Thomas (laughable). No way!!!! 6 DL? But Will Tukuafu & Tony Jerod-Eddie over Dobbs who's been running with the first team? No way. And again, Kassim Osgood (for ST) as the #6 WR yet the #6 will NOT suit up on game days (only 46 do). The rest look pretty good. I'd have Gray in serious contention as an H-back (maybe keep 4 TE's) and I'd seriously consider one or both Cooper & Morris @ CB.
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 27, 2013 at 6:59 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone