Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
The Wallace signing must mean Colt is on the bubble
Colt and Scott
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
The Wallace signing must mean Colt is on the bubble
Colt and Scott

Definitely both, Colt has looked horrible and Scott has seemingly regressed every game since he played us in preseason when he was with SD.
I'm hoping Bykowski makes the PS. Is Robinson still eligible for the PS?
Originally posted by ninergold:
I'm hoping Bykowski makes the PS. Is Robinson still eligible for the PS?

Bykowski has not looked very good thus far.

Here is the list of PS eligible players. So yes...

QB B.J. Daniels, Scott Tolzien
RB Jewel Hampton, D.J. Harper, * Marcus Lattimore, LaMichael James
FB Jason Schepler
WR Chuck Jacobs, Ricardo Lockette, Quinton Patton
TE MarQueis Gray, Vance McDonald
T Carter Bykowski, * Luke Marquardt, Kenny Wiggins, Patrick Omameh
G Al Netter, Wayne Tribue, Joe Looney
DL* Tank Carradine,* Quinton Dial, Lamar Divens, Tony Jerod-Eddie, Lawrence Okoye, Mike Purcell, Ian Williams
OLB Cam Johnson, Travis Johnson, Corey Lemonier
ILB Nate Stupar, Michael Wilhoite, Nick MoodyCB Marcus Cooper, Darryl Morris
S Trenton Robinson, Michael Thomas, Eric Reid
P Colton Schmidt

Read more at http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/173235-guess-the-53/page25/#dtx0YOGsGloiYSHG.99
I think this talk about BJ Daniels being in competition for the no. 2 QB job is ridiculous. For him, it's no. 3 or practice squad and I'm hoping if we decide to place him on the practice squad that he can remain. However if he puts up another good game, it isn't likely. Best case scenario for me would be for us to go with Colt and Wallace behind on CK, with Daniels on the practice squad. I'd just hate knowing that we used 5th and 7th round picks on Colt and he didn't even make the team. For most teams, that isn't much, but Baalke actually does pretty good with late round picks.

Funny thing is that with the emergence of Kaepernick, this team still will be carried by the defense. I don't think carry is the right word, but when you look at the names on paper, it really does seem overwhelming. We have at least 4 guys at corner that could start on most teams. We have backups OLBs that could start. We have a backup DL that could start. And as for the starters, we've got 5 All-Pros on the squad. I'm really anxious for them a healthy unit to get their hands on Seattle. In Seattle.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I think this talk about BJ Daniels being in competition for the no. 2 QB job is ridiculous. For him, it's no. 3 or practice squad and I'm hoping if we decide to place him on the practice squad that he can remain. However if he puts up another good game, it isn't likely. Best case scenario for me would be for us to go with Colt and Wallace behind on CK, with Daniels on the practice squad. I'd just hate knowing that we used 5th and 7th round picks on Colt and he didn't even make the team. For most teams, that isn't much, but Baalke actually does pretty good with late round picks.

Funny thing is that with the emergence of Kaepernick, this team still will be carried by the defense. I don't think carry is the right word, but when you look at the names on paper, it really does seem overwhelming. We have at least 4 guys at corner that could start on most teams. We have backups OLBs that could start. We have a backup DL that could start. And as for the starters, we've got 5 All-Pros on the squad. I'm really anxious for them a healthy unit to get their hands on Seattle. In Seattle.

That's actually how I see it too. I'm hoping for a better version of the 2011 Niners - brutal D, bruising and imaginative running, with just the right sort of passing threat. The only clouds I see (other than more injuries which anyway can derail any team - how would the '89 team have fared if Joe or Jerry got hurt?) are Special Teams, which were tremendous in '11 and look awful now, and turnovers. I hope we don't ask Kaep to do crazy stuff with the O. A more expansive version of the '11 version would be sufficient to get us there again.

Back on subject: I wonder how much danger there is for BJD to be picked up if placed on the practice squad. He almost went undrafted after all. Yes, there is a need for a mobile, run-capable QB by many teams, but even for another team he will be a project. If someone's not too bothered, he can go through the other 31 teams' #3 QBs and consider if they would cut them in favour of BJD. I think it's highly unlikely.

My projection for our 3 QBs is: Kaep, McCoy, Wallace, with BJD on the PS (that's a lot of initials ). Wallace might be gunning for the #2 spot by mid-season if the chips fall his way after he gets comfortable with the playbook. Lord Tolzien, I fear, will need to find another job.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

Who is putting BJ as the #2? I agree thats way premature. Wallace should be #2 and BJ gets the #3 spot. It will be interesting to see if he practices exclusively at QB if he is the 3rd QB or whether the coaches continue to diversify his role in an attempt to convert him to another position next year.
I don't think it's at all ridiculous to see Daniels as #3 and Wallace as #2. Both Wallace and Daniels can run the pistol of something happens to Kaepernick. In fact, if Kaepernick is out for any amount of time, they'll probably lean hard on the pistol with these two guys. They both have running ability more like Kap and they both have stronger arms than either McCoy or Tolzien. Two things: Carroll threw a third rounder who looks a lot like Daniels in cold last year and did just fine, and Daniels has a history of coming up big with little preparation - I read about his debut against Florida State.
McCoy didn't cost a 5th and 7th round pick ... It was a late 5th for an early 6th round pick and a 7th round pick for McCoy. The 49ers can, more than probably any team in the draft, afford a 7th round draft pick even if McCoy doesn't make the team ... besides, we just dumped a 1st round pick :)

McCoy and Tolzien are on the bubble, but so is Wallace, we can't assume he's going to make it.

It's possible Daniels makes it as #4 QB and #4 RB and #6 WR and ST player ... remember he practiced AND played in those positions this year.
Originally posted by paulk205:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Gore_21, we have some tough cuts to be made for sure.

I will do one right now.

QB- Colin Kaepernick, Seneca Wallace, B.J. Daniels

RB- Frank Gore, Kendall Hunter, LaMichael James, Anthony Dixon

FB- Bruce Miller

WR- Anquan Boldin, Marlon Moore, Kyle Williams, Jon Baldwin, Quinton Patton, Austin Collie, Chad Hall

TE- Vernon Davis, Vance McDonald, Marquies Gray

C- Jonathan Goodwin, Daniel Kilgore

OG- Mike Iupati, Alex Boone, Adam Snyder(swing OL, G, C, T), Joe Looney

OT- Anthony Davis, Joe Staley

DE- Justin Smith, Ray McDonald, Demarcus Dobbs, Will Tukuafu

NT- Ian Williams, Glen Dorsey, Lamar Divens

OLB- Ahmad Brooks, Aldon Smith, Parys Haralson, Corey Lemonier, Dan Skuta

ILB- Patrick Willis, NaVorro Bowman, Michael Wilhoite, Nick Moody

CB- Carlos Rogers, Tarell Brown, Nnamdi Asomugha, Perrish Cox, Tramaine Brock

S- Eric Reid, Donte Whitner, C.J. Spillman, Craig Dahl

ST- Phil Dawson, Andy Lee, Brian Jennings

PUP- Mario Manningham, Michael Crabtree

IR- Darius Fleming, Chris Culliver, Brandon Carswell, Alex Debniak

NFI- Luke Marquardt, Tank Carradine, Quinton Dial, Marcus Lattimore, Eric Wright

PS- Darryl Morris, Jewel Hampton, Chuck Jacobs, Kenny Wiggins, Al Netter, Cam Johnson, Trenton Robinson, Coltin Schmidt

Inactives week 1- Daniels, Hall, Patton, Looney, Divens, Moody, Brock

After week 1, we cut Divens, activate Dobbs from Suspension Roster Exemption. That's why I have 54 on active roster.

I had a hard time with inactives. Skuta is better on STs. And can backup at ILB if needed.

Hall gets cut when Mario comes back, and idk when Crabs is back, possibly an IR player is placed there if injured. Dont want to see it. But I would think either Brock or Tukuafu would be cut for Crabs.

I went heavy on LBs, because you can never have too many LBs, and short of DL, cause our OLBs can rush as DEs in a hybrid defense.

Tough cut was Garret Celek, but I think Gray has more upside.

A very thoughtful post, as always. My own projections are not too far off from yours, although I would not be surprised to see us keep one less WR for a fourth TE, as per Maiocco's article. What I think will lead to quite a few surprises is the apparent mess our coverage teams are still in. I would be very interested to read your thoughts on what you think our KO and punt coverage 11 will look like. I tend to build my own gameday 46 expectations starting with the coverage + kicking/return teams, then add the obvious O and D starters. But we've been such a mess there for so long that I expect Harbaugh to shake it up with a few surprises.

I think keeping a bunch of WRs is a distinct possibility, after all two of them could easily be cut later in the season making the decisions a one for one switch. If we keep say and extra corner and an extra TE instead it affects multiple positions when Rio comes back and if Crabs comes back.

CB/LB/TE depth helps more on ST than WR depth so going light at WR makes some sense.
After Game 3, my new 53-man roster:

QB- Kap/Wallace/Daniels
RB- Gore/Hunter/James/Dixon
FB- Miller
WR- Boldin/Williams/Moore/Patton/Baldwin
TE- Davis/McDonald/Celek/Gray
C- Goodwin/Kilgore
OG- Iupati/Boone/Looney/Snyder
OT- Staley/Davis

Offense- 25

DE- Smith/McDonald/Tukuafu/Jerod-Eddie/Dobbs*
NT- Williams/Dorsey
OLB- Smith/Brooks/Haralson/Lemonier/Skuta
ILB- Willis/Bowman/Wilhoite/Moody
CB- Rogers/Brown/Nnamdi/Cox/Brock
S- Reid/Whitner/Dahl/Spillman/Robinson

Defense- 26(Dobbs is on suspended list, that's why 26)

PK- Dawson
P- Lee
LS- Jennings

Inactive week 1- Daniels, Gray, Looney, Jerod-Eddie, Robinson, Moody, Baldwin

PUP- Manningham, Crabtree
NFI- Carradine, Dial, Marquardt, Wright, Lattimore
IR- Fleming, Culliver, Carswell, Debniak

Replacments when Mario, Crabs, Carradine, and possible Wright come back.

Replace Mario for Gray or Celek(Whoever doesn't show more upside)
Replace Tank for Tukuafu or Dobbs (Depends who they like more, but Carradine would be my 5th DL on game days, so I dont see a active spot for Dobbs or Tukuafu when Tank is back)
Replace Crabs with either T.Robinson or the other DL(Whoever doesn't show any potential, but might be stopped to go 5 deep only at DL)
^^i would dump the 4th TE and add a 6th WR
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
Originally posted by jreff22:
^^i would dump the 4th TE and add a 6th WR

Yeah Gray or Celek shouldn't be on there.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
After Game 3, my new 53-man roster:

QB- Kap/Wallace/Daniels
RB- Gore/Hunter/James/Dixon
FB- Miller
WR- Boldin/Williams/Moore/Patton/Baldwin
TE- Davis/McDonald/Celek/Gray
C- Goodwin/Kilgore
OG- Iupati/Boone/Looney/Snyder
OT- Staley/Davis

Offense- 25

DE- Smith/McDonald/Tukuafu/Jerod-Eddie/Dobbs*
NT- Williams/Dorsey
OLB- Smith/Brooks/Haralson/Lemonier/Skuta
ILB- Willis/Bowman/Wilhoite/Moody
CB- Rogers/Brown/Nnamdi/Cox/Brock
S- Reid/Whitner/Dahl/Spillman/Robinson

Defense- 26(Dobbs is on suspended list, that's why 26)

PK- Dawson
P- Lee
LS- Jennings

Inactive week 1- Daniels, Gray, Looney, Jerod-Eddie, Robinson, Moody, Baldwin

PUP- Manningham, Crabtree
NFI- Carradine, Dial, Marquardt, Wright, Lattimore
IR- Fleming, Culliver, Carswell, Debniak

Replacments when Mario, Crabs, Carradine, and possible Wright come back.

Replace Mario for Gray or Celek(Whoever doesn't show more upside)
Replace Tank for Tukuafu or Dobbs (Depends who they like more, but Carradine would be my 5th DL on game days, so I dont see a active spot for Dobbs or Tukuafu when Tank is back)
Replace Crabs with either T.Robinson or the other DL(Whoever doesn't show any potential, but might be stopped to go 5 deep only at DL)

Exactly the same 53-man I'd go with at this point. Do you have Dial replacing Jerod-Eddie when he's ready to go?
Share 49ersWebzone