There are 200 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

GUESS THE 53!!

Originally posted by Gore_21:
I think things are starting to fall into place. I would say the only battles left are:
When I re-watch the game I'll key in on these matchups.

#2 QB McCoy vs Wallace (Daniels #3)
Seems pretty unlikely Wallace would win with only a game, maybe 2 to prove himself. From what I hear he isn't the Wallace from back in Seattle either. Saints fans are saying he was pretty bad and wondered why we picked him up. I guess we are trying to push McCoy and Tolzien but seems like Tolzien is down and out at this point. I mentioned this in another thread but if McCoy makes the team this year not sure I want to re-sign him after this season. I'd rather let Harbaugh draft his own QB to develop along with Daniels. To me why mess with the rest of the league's trash when Harbaugh is one of the better QB developers in the league. I guess only thing in there favor is game experience. Again, I'd rather have someone Harbaugh hand picks and can mold. These guys are probably beyond developing at this point. I think McCoy wins.

#6 WR Collie vs Hall vs Jacobs
I'd say for the past week plus it's been Collie vs Hall for the last spot. Lockette seemed to be fading out; just wasn't making plays although he didn't get a lot of opportunities. Hawkins and Osgood weren't really ever in it IMO. The guys are past there prime and have had very blah careers at the WR spot. Only thing keeping Osgood in this is his ST skills and seems like with Moore making the team we probably don't need him. Jacobs is a long shot but a PS lock and if he can stay on our PS he will have a good shot at the roster next year. I prefer Collie, possibly Jacobs.

#3 TE Gray vs Celek
Went back and watched these two in the Chiefs game. Celek lost some weight, looks like a bigger WR right now. Unfortunately, seems like it hurt his blocking. I think he could be a better receiver than last year but his blocking will be worse. He got thrown around with ease many times during the Chiefs game. Gray is a much thicker body. Gray looked good blocking and will be harder to move around. He's a former QB so he's an athlete who added weight. Usually those guys are better off than a guy who has always been big. He played at probably 215-220ish at Minnesota early on so he's gained like 30 pounds. He seems to still be able to run well but if he makes the team he will get in better shape as the season goes on; not that he is in bad shape or anything. I like Gray better but think they go with Celek.

#5 S Robinson vs Thomas
Whitner, Reid, Dahl, Spillman are all locks. Seems like McBath disappeared this offseason. Ventrone I just don't see him making it; he hasn't got much playing time and has been injured. Michael Thomas has been playing the slot and ST so that's an added bonus for him. I will admit haven't keyed in on these guys two much but I could see Thomas winning. Never been a Robinson fan though. No matter who wins it's will mostly be ST. Spillman and Dahl would get any backup duty or any duty where we bring in an extra safety. Might have to look into upgrading our depth next draft.

#5 OLB Skuta vs Johnson
I think you can make a case for either guy. Skuta is a better ST player but Johnson is 4 years younger and probably has more potential. I'm glad we moved Skuta to OLB as Wilhoite and Moody have been great at ILB. Skuta has been doing solid in the pass rush area but the coverage area is what worries me. Johnson is probably a bit faster but he's a little less bulky. I'd like to see him add some bulk. If he makes the PS and doesn't get picked up he should have a good shot at the #4 OLB spot if Haralson doesn't re-sign. Either way whoever wins will be ST almost entirely. Haralson and Lemonier have been playing outstanding and they will be getting almost all the work at OLB backup. Skuta and Johnson would probably come in if there is a blowout. Forcing me to choose I say Skuta and Johnson heads to the PS.

I agree, i think the shockers will mirror your thoughts.




QB- McCoy and Tolzien out- Tolzien signed to PS to run scout teams.
WR- Collie not only is the number 6, he catches the third most passes during the season.
Grey is the #3 TE Celek is out of the nFL
Gore_21, we have some tough cuts to be made for sure.

I will do one right now.

QB- Colin Kaepernick, Seneca Wallace, B.J. Daniels

RB- Frank Gore, Kendall Hunter, LaMichael James, Anthony Dixon

FB- Bruce Miller

WR- Anquan Boldin, Marlon Moore, Kyle Williams, Jon Baldwin, Quinton Patton, Austin Collie, Chad Hall

TE- Vernon Davis, Vance McDonald, Marquies Gray

C- Jonathan Goodwin, Daniel Kilgore

OG- Mike Iupati, Alex Boone, Adam Snyder(swing OL, G, C, T), Joe Looney

OT- Anthony Davis, Joe Staley

DE- Justin Smith, Ray McDonald, Demarcus Dobbs, Will Tukuafu

NT- Ian Williams, Glen Dorsey, Lamar Divens

OLB- Ahmad Brooks, Aldon Smith, Parys Haralson, Corey Lemonier, Dan Skuta

ILB- Patrick Willis, NaVorro Bowman, Michael Wilhoite, Nick Moody

CB- Carlos Rogers, Tarell Brown, Nnamdi Asomugha, Perrish Cox, Tramaine Brock

S- Eric Reid, Donte Whitner, C.J. Spillman, Craig Dahl

ST- Phil Dawson, Andy Lee, Brian Jennings

PUP- Mario Manningham, Michael Crabtree

IR- Darius Fleming, Chris Culliver, Brandon Carswell, Alex Debniak

NFI- Luke Marquardt, Tank Carradine, Quinton Dial, Marcus Lattimore, Eric Wright

PS- Darryl Morris, Jewel Hampton, Chuck Jacobs, Kenny Wiggins, Al Netter, Cam Johnson, Trenton Robinson, Coltin Schmidt

Inactives week 1- Daniels, Hall, Patton, Looney, Divens, Moody, Brock

After week 1, we cut Divens, activate Dobbs from Suspension Roster Exemption. That's why I have 54 on active roster.

I had a hard time with inactives. Skuta is better on STs. And can backup at ILB if needed.

Hall gets cut when Mario comes back, and idk when Crabs is back, possibly an IR player is placed there if injured. Dont want to see it. But I would think either Brock or Tukuafu would be cut for Crabs.

I went heavy on LBs, because you can never have too many LBs, and short of DL, cause our OLBs can rush as DEs in a hybrid defense.

Tough cut was Garret Celek, but I think Gray has more upside.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
I think things are starting to fall into place. I would say the only battles left are:
When I re-watch the game I'll key in on these matchups.

#2 QB McCoy vs Wallace (Daniels #3)
Seems pretty unlikely Wallace would win with only a game, maybe 2 to prove himself. From what I hear he isn't the Wallace from back in Seattle either. Saints fans are saying he was pretty bad and wondered why we picked him up. I guess we are trying to push McCoy and Tolzien but seems like Tolzien is down and out at this point. I mentioned this in another thread but if McCoy makes the team this year not sure I want to re-sign him after this season. I'd rather let Harbaugh draft his own QB to develop along with Daniels. To me why mess with the rest of the league's trash when Harbaugh is one of the better QB developers in the league. I guess only thing in there favor is game experience. Again, I'd rather have someone Harbaugh hand picks and can mold. These guys are probably beyond developing at this point. I think McCoy wins.

#6 WR Collie vs Hall vs Jacobs
I'd say for the past week plus it's been Collie vs Hall for the last spot. Lockette seemed to be fading out; just wasn't making plays although he didn't get a lot of opportunities. Hawkins and Osgood weren't really ever in it IMO. The guys are past there prime and have had very blah careers at the WR spot. Only thing keeping Osgood in this is his ST skills and seems like with Moore making the team we probably don't need him. Jacobs is a long shot but a PS lock and if he can stay on our PS he will have a good shot at the roster next year. I prefer Collie, possibly Jacobs.

#3 TE Gray vs Celek
Went back and watched these two in the Chiefs game. Celek lost some weight, looks like a bigger WR right now. Unfortunately, seems like it hurt his blocking. I think he could be a better receiver than last year but his blocking will be worse. He got thrown around with ease many times during the Chiefs game. Gray is a much thicker body. Gray looked good blocking and will be harder to move around. He's a former QB so he's an athlete who added weight. Usually those guys are better off than a guy who has always been big. He played at probably 215-220ish at Minnesota early on so he's gained like 30 pounds. He seems to still be able to run well but if he makes the team he will get in better shape as the season goes on; not that he is in bad shape or anything. I like Gray better but think they go with Celek.

#5 S Robinson vs Thomas
Whitner, Reid, Dahl, Spillman are all locks. Seems like McBath disappeared this offseason. Ventrone I just don't see him making it; he hasn't got much playing time and has been injured. Michael Thomas has been playing the slot and ST so that's an added bonus for him. I will admit haven't keyed in on these guys two much but I could see Thomas winning. Never been a Robinson fan though. No matter who wins it's will mostly be ST. Spillman and Dahl would get any backup duty or any duty where we bring in an extra safety. Might have to look into upgrading our depth next draft.

#5 OLB Skuta vs Johnson
I think you can make a case for either guy. Skuta is a better ST player but Johnson is 4 years younger and probably has more potential. I'm glad we moved Skuta to OLB as Wilhoite and Moody have been great at ILB. Skuta has been doing solid in the pass rush area but the coverage area is what worries me. Johnson is probably a bit faster but he's a little less bulky. I'd like to see him add some bulk. If he makes the PS and doesn't get picked up he should have a good shot at the #4 OLB spot if Haralson doesn't re-sign. Either way whoever wins will be ST almost entirely. Haralson and Lemonier have been playing outstanding and they will be getting almost all the work at OLB backup. Skuta and Johnson would probably come in if there is a blowout. Forcing me to choose I say Skuta and Johnson heads to the PS.

QB - nice one; obviously, we'll all be watching this one. Chances are, Wallace will be taking 3rd and 4th string snaps so it may be even harder to see what he adds (if anything at all). McCoy is so bad right now that I wouldn't even count out Tolzien. Sadly, our OL in both pass protection and run blocking has been very poor so I can't even gauge either fully and the WR's have suffered as well (McDonald has the most catches in a game and that is 4). This is downright pathetic. Also, the FO should be on the hunt for a veteran OT. This may be a bigger need that evern backup QB right now! BJ seems to add value at the #3. They have wanted to use this spot to help on ST coverage units.

ST Coverage and Returners - Lockette was our best gunner on ST this pre season (not just for that solo tackle either). Osgood probably won't make the team and the 3rd standout, Daryl Morris may not make the 53 either. So who the eff are our gunners going to be. This issue continues to be ignored and a VERY large issue for us. And as it seems, every team in the NFL that we play, has one or TWO dynamic returners. We don't have ONE!

WR Collie vs. Hall - experience vs. upside? This will be interesting. Hall has been the MVP so far (still not saying much) but also has no injury issues AND plays ST (returner and coverage units).

TE Celek vs. Gray - I'm fairly confident we will keep both. It appears like we'll only keep 6 WR's and Gray adds much more versatility in the H-back role. He even wears Delanie Walker's old #46.

S Robinson vs Thomas - nothing to see here as Donte Whitner, Eric Reid, Craig Dahl and C.J. Spillman are all locks and that is it. Ventrone was brought in for ST purposes and has been injured all pre season games. Another ST loss for us.

OLB Skuta vs Johnson - Skuta is the #5 lock IMHO b/c he can play OLB, ILB and is a ST ace. Johnson played good but back to the PS he goes.

CB: Tarell Brown, Carlos Rogers, Nnamdi Asomugha, Perrish Cox, Tramaine Brock and Daryl Morris; Chris Culliver & Eric Wright (PUP) - B/c Wright will most likely be put on the PUP list, it opens up a real spot for Darly Morris and or Marcus Cooper who have both played well, disciplined and have great upside and tangibles (Morris and his speed and Cooper with his size and physicality). Morris also is a fantastic gunner on ST's. Can one or both unseat Brock?

NT: Ian Williams, Glenn Dorsey and Lamar Divens - Can Ian solidify himself as the starter and will Dorsey continue to play better and better and don't count out Divens who is out only 2-gapper who has also played well thus far. We may opt to keep him and also go with 3 DE's in Justin Smith, Ray McDonald and Demarcus Dobbs; Quinton Dial & Tank Carradine (PUP) since Dorsey can also play DE.

LS: Do we even need Brian Jennings with Kilgore, Looney and others snapping shot gun the vast majority of the time under C? Could we save this spot for position player?

OT: Do we even have a decent one behind Staley/Davis? Right now the answer is no!
AB, you are one up on the rest of us because I had no idea that rule existed. I agree seems like these cuts get tougher each year. Just some of the potential hard cuts: Gray or Celek, Cam Johnson, Chuck Jacobs, hopefully Cooper and Morris don't get snatched up, I think Stupar could make another team as 4th ILB, Schmidt should get a shot some where else and added bonus he can kickoff, Collie or Hall (if we keep 6). Was a lot easier back in the dark ages where we had a hard enough time finding 45 guys worthy of the roster. A good chunk of these guys we cut would have made the team back then. I don't even want to take a guess at the 7 inactives. The only guy I can think of is BJ Daniels at 3rd QB. Other than that everyone is worthy of being on the 46 man active roster for game day. Man, wish they would lower it from 7 inactive to like 3-4.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 23, 2013 at 8:51 AM ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:
AB, you are one up on the rest of us because I had no idea that rule existed. I agree seems like these cuts get tougher each year. Just some of the potential hard cuts: Gray or Celek, Cam Johnson, Chuck Jacobs, hopefully Cooper and Morris don't get snatched up, I think Stupar could make another team as 4th ILB, Schmidt should get a shot some where else and added bonus he can kickoff, Collie or Hall (if we keep 6). Was a lot easier back in the dark ages where we had a hard enough time finding 45 guys worthy of the roster. A good chunk of these guys we cut would have made the team back then. I don't even want to take a guess at the 7 inactives. The only guy I can think of is BJ Daniels at 3rd QB. Other than that everyone is worthy of being on the 46 man active roster for game day. Man, wish they would lower it from 7 inactive to like 3-4.

I wish they would lower it also. 4 would be fine. This 7 makes it harder and harder each game. I guess it is based on who we face each week. So I think we may go heavy on CBs on gameday, with Rodgers so dangerous at QB, and real good WRs, Nelson, Cobb, etc... Finley, there backs are good too, Franklin and the other rookie, which my brain cant remember. Plus John Kuhn
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
I wish they would lower it also. 4 would be fine. This 7 makes it harder and harder each game. I guess it is based on who we face each week. So I think we may go heavy on CBs on gameday, with Rodgers so dangerous at QB, and real good WRs, Nelson, Cobb, etc... Finley, there backs are good too, Franklin and the other rookie, which my brain cant remember. Plus John Kuhn

Very good point depends on who we play but again going to be tough finding 7 as everyone except Daniels can contribute on game day and is worthy of being active.

NCommand....

Yeah been pretty disappointed with McCoy and Tolzien. Bad OL or not I expected more from them.

Gunners... Possibly Moore as a gunner. I know Brock led the team last year with 16 ST tackles. Was he a gunner? Spillman? Remember we used Bowman, Culliver and Goldson on ST last year for punt team so that's another 2 spots to fill. As for return man seems like Kyle Williams or James. I'd like to see Cox get more opportunities as he had 3 kick return td's and 2 punt return td's in 3 years at Oklahoma State . Wanted us to draft him coming out; his issues were all mental. Hopefully they don't just lock in James who has been meh.

Yeah WR going to be a tough call. Long shot they keep both but just don't see the purpose of 7 WR's when we barely use 3 WR sets much less 4 or 5.

I'd like to keep both TE's but not sure we have the room. I like Gray better but if we keep Celek should be a better receiver this year but his blocking will probably be worse.

Yeah I'd be fine if they would just keep Whitner, Reid, Spillman and Dahl as those 2 guys can backup both S spots. Whoever wins (if one does) will just be for ST.

I'd agree Skuta will likely win but going to be tough to cut Johnson. Hopefully he doesn't get picked off the PS because he could make the roster next year if Haralson is gone. I'd like to see more from Cam, he definitely has upside.

At CB think Brock makes it just not sure if we will keep 5 or 6. If we do will be tough to decide between Cooper and Morris. Wright might join us later in the season; not sure if he's injured but he'll end up PUP probably.

At DL maybe I shouldn't count a 7th man out. Dobbs and Tukuafu seem likely as Dial and Carradine will go to PUP/IR. Too bad if they were healthy we would have likely upgraded over one or both. Who knows maybe Jerod-Eddie or Divens make the team.

Yeah most teams out there would love to have a center who could be a LS but just doesn't work that way. That's a good question... are there any starting C who are long snappers? My guess is no. Just a whole different ball game like kicker and punter. It's sad seeing everyone fly by Jennings on punts. Maybe McDermott beats him out next year and we save some money. Sucks he takes a spot up but you better believe he's worth it. Haven't seen a bad snap in ages... ask teams with a bad long snapper if the position is important or not.

I wish Marquardt didn't get hurt because I like him over Bykowski. Still not sure he would have been able to be 3rd T anyways. Wiggins haven't followed too closely but doesn't seem to have stepped up to the task. We will just move Boone to T and Kilgore/Snyder to RG. Sucks to shuffle but maybe next year we can draft someone or someone will be ready so we don't have to shift anymore.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 23, 2013 at 9:27 AM ]
Nice work everyone...I swear, mine changes daily! LOL. I think I'll keep it like this for the next couple weeks unless someone really shoots up the board.

Offense: (25)
QB (3): Colin Kaepernick, Colt McCoy and BJ Daniels - Note: I have no clue where Seneca Wallace fits in.
RB (4): Frank Gore, LaMichael James, Kendall Hunter and Anthony Dixon; Marcus Lattimore (PUP) - Note: Jewel Hampton is a better pure runner than James though.
FB (1): Bruce Miller - Note: It's very risky not to have a pure FB here. If Miller goes down, we're in big trouble. Dixon is not a good FB/blocker and often times misses pass blocking assignments.
WR (6): X = Marlon Moore/Jon Baldwin --- Y = Kyle Williams/Chad Hall --- Z = Anquan Boldin/Quinton Patton; Mario Manningham & Michael Crabtree (PUP) - Note: Hall will be the #6. All of these guys play very well on ST: Williams, Moore, Hall, Osgood, etc. Austin is similar to Hall, same age, but has head injuries and doesn't play ST. With our top gunner gone in Lockette, Osgood could be a #7 here to back up Boldin at the Z and be that RZ threat and ST gunner. And this ST unit is under the microscope right now (as it should be).
TE (3): Vernon Davis, Vance McDonald and MarQueis Gray (H-Back) - Note: Garrett Celek is my surprise cut here b/c of the versatility Gray will provide plus he'll be a very good ST players as well. He even wears #46 in the Delanie Walker mold. Celek has not looked good this pre season.
OT (3): Joe Staley, Anthony Davis and Adam Snyder (Alex Boone); Luke Marquardt (PUP) - Note: Let's pray Marquardt is the real deal b/c right now, we have very poor T's behind the starters and one injury could very well mess with the OL's chemistry.
OG (3): Mike Iupati, Alex Boone and Joe Looney (Adam Snyder)
C (2): Jonathan Goodwin and Daniel Kilgore (Joe Looney) - Note: Jonathan Goodwin still may end up being a late veteran cut or restructures his contract for a backup role if Kilgore (Looney) continue to excel here.

Defense: (25)
DE (3): Justin Smith, Ray McDonald and Demarcus Dobbs; Quinton Dial & Tank Carradine (PUP) - Note: Lawrence Okoye to the PS.NT (3): Ian Williams, Glenn Dorsey and Lamar Divens - Note: Both Dorsey and Divens have stepped up their game and Dorsey can play DE as well. Divens appears to be a pure 2-gap disruptive NT. Even with the 1 game suspension for Dobbs, no need for a guy like Will Tukuafu anymore.
OLB (5): Aldon Smith, Ahmad Brooks, Parys Haralson, Corey Lemonier and Dan Skuta - Note: Cameron Johnson is playing really well too (sadly).
ILB (4): Patrick Willis, NaVorro Bowman, Michael Wilhoite and Nick Moody
CB (6): Tarell Brown, Carlos Rogers, Nnamdi Asomugha, Perrish Cox, Tramaine Brock and Daryl Morris; Chris Culliver & Eric Wright (PUP) - Note: Marcus Cooper is playing very disciplined/physical outside (love his size) and Darryl Morris has been playing fantastic in practice. It's not over yet. Both Cooper and Morris could very well end up pushing Brock off the roster but it's a long shot right now.
S (4): Donte Whitner, Eric Reid, Craig Dahl and C.J. Spillman - Note: Trenton Robinson is small/short but is having a decent camp.

Special Teams: (3)
PK: Phil Dawson
P: Andy Lee
LS: Brian Jennings - Note: God has the edge naturally and I haven't noted any snaps by Kevin McDermott thus far. LS is a position we could eliminate with all the LS's we have in Kilgore, Looney, etc. who may also be able to provide coverage on kickoffs. But let's be real here...this is God we're talking about! Question: Do we really need a Long Snapper? Kilgore and Looney can snap as well as others and some can play on ST coverage units as well. Also, we have a major weakness at OT. I'm expecting us to sign a veteran very soon! I am heavy on WR and CB right now.
Maiocco's 53 man projection.

He has only 5 WRs

6 CBs (Marcus Cooper, with the 5 near locks on most projections)

5 Safeties(being Bubba Ventrone the last)

Wallace and Daniels as 2 and 3 on QB chart.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Very good point depends on who we play but again going to be tough finding 7 as everyone except Daniels can contribute on game day and is worthy of being active.

NCommand....

Yeah been pretty disappointed with McCoy and Tolzien. Bad OL or not I expected more from them.

Gunners... Possibly Moore as a gunner. I know Brock led the team last year with 16 ST tackles. Was he a gunner? Spillman? Remember we used Bowman, Culliver and Goldson on ST last year for punt team so that's another 2 spots to fill. As for return man seems like Kyle Williams or James. I'd like to see Cox get more opportunities as he had 3 kick return td's and 2 punt return td's in 3 years at Oklahoma State . Wanted us to draft him coming out; his issues were all mental. Hopefully they don't just lock in James who has been meh.

Yeah WR going to be a tough call. Long shot they keep both but just don't see the purpose of 7 WR's when we barely use 3 WR sets much less 4 or 5.

I'd like to keep both TE's but not sure we have the room. I like Gray better but if we keep Celek should be a better receiver this year but his blocking will probably be worse.

Yeah I'd be fine if they would just keep Whitner, Reid, Spillman and Dahl as those 2 guys can backup both S spots. Whoever wins (if one does) will just be for ST.

I'd agree Skuta will likely win but going to be tough to cut Johnson. Hopefully he doesn't get picked off the PS because he could make the roster next year if Haralson is gone. I'd like to see more from Cam, he definitely has upside.

At CB think Brock makes it just not sure if we will keep 5 or 6. If we do will be tough to decide between Cooper and Morris. Wright might join us later in the season; not sure if he's injured but he'll end up PUP probably.

At DL maybe I shouldn't count a 7th man out. Dobbs and Tukuafu seem likely as Dial and Carradine will go to PUP/IR. Too bad if they were healthy we would have likely upgraded over one or both. Who knows maybe Jerod-Eddie or Divens make the team.

Yeah most teams out there would love to have a center who could be a LS but just doesn't work that way. That's a good question... are there any starting C who are long snappers? My guess is no. Just a whole different ball game like kicker and punter. It's sad seeing everyone fly by Jennings on punts. Maybe McDermott beats him out next year and we save some money. Sucks he takes a spot up but you better believe he's worth it. Haven't seen a bad snap in ages... ask teams with a bad long snapper if the position is important or not.

I wish Marquardt didn't get hurt because I like him over Bykowski. Still not sure he would have been able to be 3rd T anyways. Wiggins haven't followed too closely but doesn't seem to have stepped up to the task. We will just move Boone to T and Kilgore/Snyder to RG. Sucks to shuffle but maybe next year we can draft someone or someone will be ready so we don't have to shift anymore.

Nice points as always. It's getting down there now...and becoming more clear for many positions. We still have a couple weeks and these next two games are going to be very interesting! At this juncture, it's pretty easy to see where our holes are...
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 23, 2013 at 9:47 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
Nice work everyone...I swear, mine changes daily! LOL. I think I'll keep it like this for the next couple weeks unless someone really shoots up the board.

Offense: (25)
QB (3): Colin Kaepernick, Colt McCoy and BJ Daniels - Note: I have no clue where Seneca Wallace fits in.
RB (4): Frank Gore, LaMichael James, Kendall Hunter and Anthony Dixon; Marcus Lattimore (PUP) - Note: Jewel Hampton is a better pure runner than James though.
FB (1): Bruce Miller - Note: It's very risky not to have a pure FB here. If Miller goes down, we're in big trouble. Dixon is not a good FB/blocker and often times misses pass blocking assignments.
WR (6): X = Marlon Moore/Jon Baldwin --- Y = Kyle Williams/Chad Hall --- Z = Anquan Boldin/Quinton Patton; Mario Manningham & Michael Crabtree (PUP) - Note: Hall will be the #6. All of these guys play very well on ST: Williams, Moore, Hall, Osgood, etc. Austin is similar to Hall, same age, but has head injuries and doesn't play ST. With our top gunner gone in Lockette, Osgood could be a #7 here to back up Boldin at the Z and be that RZ threat and ST gunner. And this ST unit is under the microscope right now (as it should be).
TE (3): Vernon Davis, Vance McDonald and MarQueis Gray (H-Back) - Note: Garrett Celek is my surprise cut here b/c of the versatility Gray will provide plus he'll be a very good ST players as well. He even wears #46 in the Delanie Walker mold. Celek has not looked good this pre season.
OT (3): Joe Staley, Anthony Davis and Adam Snyder (Alex Boone); Luke Marquardt (PUP) - Note: Let's pray Marquardt is the real deal b/c right now, we have very poor T's behind the starters and one injury could very well mess with the OL's chemistry.
OG (3): Mike Iupati, Alex Boone and Joe Looney (Adam Snyder)
C (2): Jonathan Goodwin and Daniel Kilgore (Joe Looney) - Note: Jonathan Goodwin still may end up being a late veteran cut or restructures his contract for a backup role if Kilgore (Looney) continue to excel here.

Defense: (25)
DE (3): Justin Smith, Ray McDonald and Demarcus Dobbs; Quinton Dial & Tank Carradine (PUP) - Note: Lawrence Okoye to the PS.NT (3): Ian Williams, Glenn Dorsey and Lamar Divens - Note: Both Dorsey and Divens have stepped up their game and Dorsey can play DE as well. Divens appears to be a pure 2-gap disruptive NT. Even with the 1 game suspension for Dobbs, no need for a guy like Will Tukuafu anymore.
OLB (5): Aldon Smith, Ahmad Brooks, Parys Haralson, Corey Lemonier and Dan Skuta - Note: Cameron Johnson is playing really well too (sadly).
ILB (4): Patrick Willis, NaVorro Bowman, Michael Wilhoite and Nick Moody
CB (6): Tarell Brown, Carlos Rogers, Nnamdi Asomugha, Perrish Cox, Tramaine Brock and Daryl Morris; Chris Culliver & Eric Wright (PUP) - Note: Marcus Cooper is playing very disciplined/physical outside (love his size) and Darryl Morris has been playing fantastic in practice. It's not over yet. Both Cooper and Morris could very well end up pushing Brock off the roster but it's a long shot right now.
S (4): Donte Whitner, Eric Reid, Craig Dahl and C.J. Spillman - Note: Trenton Robinson is small/short but is having a decent camp.

Special Teams: (3)
PK: Phil Dawson
P: Andy Lee
LS: Brian Jennings - Note: God has the edge naturally and I haven't noted any snaps by Kevin McDermott thus far. LS is a position we could eliminate with all the LS's we have in Kilgore, Looney, etc. who may also be able to provide coverage on kickoffs. But let's be real here...this is God we're talking about! Question: Do we really need a Long Snapper? Kilgore and Looney can snap as well as others and some can play on ST coverage units as well. Also, we have a major weakness at OT. I'm expecting us to sign a veteran very soon! I am heavy on WR and CB right now.

Pretty similar to mine.

I forgot Okoye on my PS, take Schmidt off of it.

Also you need an extra body, Dobbs will be on Suspension/Reserve list for week 1.

But good projection.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Pretty similar to mine.

I forgot Okoye on my PS, take Schmidt off of it.

Also you need an extra body, Dobbs will be on Suspension/Reserve list for week 1.

But good projection.

Our practice squad is going to be epic (for about 30 minutes):

FB Jason Schepler
WR Chuck Jacobs
T * Luke Marquardt
DL Lawrence Okoye
OLB Cam Johnson
ILB Nate Stupar
CB Marcus Cooper
P Colton Schmidt

God please no, no more Will Tukuafu, even for one game! LOL. I like your list as well...

Wow, interesting list my MM!
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Pretty similar to mine.

I forgot Okoye on my PS, take Schmidt off of it.

Also you need an extra body, Dobbs will be on Suspension/Reserve list for week 1.

But good projection.

Our practice squad is going to be epic (for about 30 minutes):

FB Jason Schepler
WR Chuck Jacobs
T * Luke Marquardt
DL Lawrence Okoye
OLB Cam Johnson
ILB Nate Stupar
CB Marcus Cooper
P Colton Schmidt

God please no, no more Will Tukuafu, even for one game! LOL. I like your list as well...

Wow, interesting list my MM!

He copied and pasted them (MM)...

- 98
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Maiocco's 53 man projection.

He has only 5 WRs

6 CBs (Marcus Cooper, with the 5 near locks on most projections)

5 Safeties(being Bubba Ventrone the last)

Wallace and Daniels as 2 and 3 on QB chart.

Yeah, wow, MM's list (thought-provoking at least):

Wide receivers (5): The 49ers could keep six wide receivers. In that case, Chad Hall, Austin Collie, Lavelle Hawkins and special-teamer Kassim Osgood are in play. But a sixth wide receiver will have a difficult time suiting up for games, anyway. Plus, the 49ers expect Mario Manningham back at midseason and Michael Crabtree a little later. - this makes sense if we'll keep 4 TE's and I've thought about that a lot as well (gone back and forth).

Tight ends (4): Garret Celek, MarQueis Gray. Celek won his way on the team last season, and he's more game-ready than Gray. But Gray is getting better and better and better. He has a lot of potential, and he's worth keeping around for a while to develop. - Again, totally understand the rationale here as well. The battle here is really between Hall/Collie vs. Celek/Gray. Who adds the most upside and who will be more active on game days and who adds more ST value?

Defensive line (5): Will Tukuafu - Demarcus Dobbs begins the season on the suspended list for violating the NFL's policy on substances of abuse. When he's eligible after Week 1, the 49ers will have another decision to make. One big question is whether the 49ers saw enough in Lawrence Okoye to warrant an invite to practice squad. - You don't even need Tukuafu for one week b/c Dorsey can play both DE and NT. Dobbs is miles ahead of Will anyhow. And I expect us to seriously consider Lamar Divens as well as he is a big 2-gap NT who is playing well right now (and may be needed for many of the power running teams we'll face this year).

Cornerbacks (6): Marcus Cooper - It's been a good camp for the corners. Asomugha earned his spot, and continues to compete for the No. 3 job with Brock and Cox to replace injured Chris Culliver. Cooper, a seventh-round pick, has the kind of size that can't be taught. Undrafted Darryl Morris has been very good, too, but his 5 foot 9 1/2 size gives the edge to Cooper. - I'm with MM on this one. I have gone back and forth between either Morris or Cooper making the 53 and ultimately, went with Morris b/c his (recovery) speed and quickness will be needed against GB and Seattle right out of the gate. But flip flopping here is a win-win as well. And if Cooper has another good game (or Morris), I wouldn't rule both making it over a guy like Brock (most likey just one though).

Safeties (5): Bubba Ventrone Ventrone - Has not seen a snap of action on defense, but his value is on special teams. He was punter Andy Lee's personal protector before he missed last week's game with a hamstring strain. - Hell no. We have already rid ourseves of our best gunner in Lockette and Osgood and Morris won't most likely make it either. So why care about Ventrone now?
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 23, 2013 at 10:28 AM ]
I hope we keep Gray... He looks like he could actually be a good player, and I see us being a very TE centric team in the near future (with Boldin and Baldwin being hybrid WR/TE guys anyway)
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 17,144
Predicted Depth Chart -

QB: Kaepernick/Wallace/Daniels
RB: Gore/Hunter/James
FB: Miller/Dixon
TE: Davis/McDonald/Gray

WR: Boldin/Patton
WR: Moore/Baldwin
WR: Williams/Collie

LT: Staley
LG: Iupati/Snyder
C: Goodwin/Kilgore
RG: Boone/Looney
RT: Davis

LE: Smith/Dobbs
NT: Williams/Dorsey
RE: McDonald/Tukuafu

OLB: Smith/Haralson
ILB: Willis/Wilhoite
ILB: Bowman/Moody
OLB: Brooks/Lemonier/Stuka

CB: Rogers/Asogmoah/Brock
CB: Brown/Cox/Cooper
FS: Reid/Spillman
SS: Whitner/Dahl

ST: Dawson, Lee, Jennings

PUP/NFI: Crabtree, Manningham, Dial, Lattimore, Carradine, Marquardt

PS: Tolzien, Thomas, Morris, Divens, Jacobs, Hampton, and 2 OLs after pre-season week 4.