LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 233 users in the forums

GUESS THE 53!!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
When Manningham comes back I'm thinking Collie or Hall will be gone but when Crabtree comes back we might just keep 7 and get rid of a player from another position. Depends on how Moore and Baldwin are doing but don't see them cutting either when he comes back. Then again could could go with 7 when Manningham comes back and cut someone from another position if Collie or Hall are doing well. Then when Crabtree comes back can't keep 8 so worst one goes.

Also, seems like we are content letting Lattimore, Culliver, Marquardt spend the season on IR and possibly Carradine and Dial. Seems like those guys were picked for the future knowing they could spend the season on PUP or IR. Next year will have a lot of new faces. A lot of free agents as well that could be gone.
Wright is NFI at the moment and will stay there to start the season, he doesn't need to be cut.

That roster looks right, Collie over Hall, Skuta over Johnson, Celek over Gray.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
When Manningham comes back I'm thinking Collie or Hall will be gone but when Crabtree comes back we might just keep 7 and get rid of a player from another position. Depends on how Moore and Baldwin are doing but don't see them cutting either when he comes back. Then again could could go with 7 when Manningham comes back and cut someone from another position if Collie or Hall are doing well. Then when Crabtree comes back can't keep 8 so worst one goes.

Also, seems like we are content letting Lattimore, Culliver, Marquardt spend the season on IR and possibly Carradine and Dial. Seems like those guys were picked for the future knowing they could spend the season on PUP or IR. Next year will have a lot of new faces. A lot of free agents as well that could be gone.

I agree 100% Gore_21. They may be on NFI the entire season though, I think, but not 100% sure, NFI players keep full salaries, so they wouldn't screw with them, and not pay them the full money, unlike Carswell, Debniak, and maybe Fleming, who are on IR.

I think Carradine, and Dial will be back, probably at expense of Dobbs and Tukuafu. I like the 7 WRs, keep the top 5, plus Mario and Crabs.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
I agree 100% Gore_21. They may be on NFI the entire season though, I think, but not 100% sure, NFI players keep full salaries, so they wouldn't screw with them, and not pay them the full money, unlike Carswell, Debniak, and maybe Fleming, who are on IR.

I think Carradine, and Dial will be back, probably at expense of Dobbs and Tukuafu. I like the 7 WRs, keep the top 5, plus Mario and Crabs.

Do you know if the NFI list they can come back at any time during the season? Is it like PUP where they have to come back after week 6 or go to IR if they aren't ready? I want Carradine and Dial to be good enough to eventually make Dobbs and Tukuafu expendable and make us not have to re-sign them next year (probably won't anyways). However, with Carradine and Dial not practicing at all and not playing any games you really think they can bring those guys in week 7 after PUP and have them play backup. Doesn't seem like they would be ready after not practicing at all to just go and cut Dobbs and Tukuafu when they come back week 7. That's why I could see them going to IR for the year. Otherwise, have to have them inactive every week after 6 and have them use a roster spot until they get some practice and are ready to go for a game. Could be 3-4 5 weeks before they are up to speed.

And yes NFL does a good job complicating all the rules and lists, etc. I still can't fully understand all that goes with IR, NFI, PUP and what the rules and how the salaries work with each list.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 20, 2013 at 12:00 AM ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:

Do you know if the NFI list they can come back at any time during the season? Is it like PUP where they have to come back after week 6 or go to IR if they aren't ready? I want Carradine and Dial to be good enough to eventually make Dobbs and Tukuafu expendable and make us not have to re-sign them next year (probably won't anyways). However, with Carradine and Dial not practicing at all and not playing any games you really think they can bring those guys in week 7 after PUP and have them play backup. Doesn't seem like they would be ready after not practicing at all to just go and cut Dobbs and Tukuafu when they come back week 7. That's why I could see them going to IR for the year. Otherwise, have to have them inactive every week after 6 and have them use a roster spot until they get some practice and are ready to go for a game. Could be 3-4 5 weeks before they are up to speed.

And yes NFL does a good job complicating all the rules and lists, etc. I still can't fully understand all that goes with IR, NFI, PUP and what the rules and how the salaries work with each list.

Yeah it's a messed up league for sure. NFI guys are also 6 weeks, like PUP players. I think they get the money, unlike IR guys who have split contracts, like Carswell and Debniak.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Updated after Game 2:

Offense: (25)
QB (3): Colin Kaepernick, Colt McCoy and BJ Daniels - Note: Have no clue where Seneca Wallace fits in.
RB (4): Frank Gore, LaMichael James, Kendall Hunter and Anthony Dixon; Marcus Lattimore (PUP) - Note: Jewel Hampton is a better pure runner than James though.
FB (1): Bruce Miller - Note: It's very risky not to have a pure FB here. If Miller goes down, we're in big trouble. Dixon is not a good FB/blocker and often times misses pass blocking assignments.
WR (6): X = Marlon Moore/Jon Baldwin --- Y = Kyle Williams/Quinton Patton/Chad Hall --- Z = Anquan Boldin; Mario Manningham & Michael Crabtree (PUP) - Note: Hall will be the #6. All of these guys play very well on ST: Williams, Moore, Hall, Osgood, etc. Austin is similar to Hall, same age, but has head injuries and doesn't play ST. IWith our top gunner gone in Lockette, Osgood could be a #7 here to back up Boldin at the Z and be that RZ threat and ST gunner. And this ST unit is under the microscope right now (as it should be).
TE (4): Vernon Davis, Vance McDonald, Garrett Celek and MarQueis Gray (H-Back)
OT (3): Joe Staley, Anthony Davis and Adam Snyder; Luke Marquardt (PUP) - Note: Let's pray Marquardt is the real deal b/c right now, we have very poor T's behind the starters and one injury could very well mess with the OL's chemistry.
OG (3): Mike Iupati, Alex Boone and Joe Looney, (Adam Snyder)
C (1): Daniel Kilgore (Joe Looney) - Note: Jonathan Goodwin may end up getting cut or restructures his contract for a backup role if both Kilgore/Looney continue to excel here.

Defense: (25)
DE (3): Justin Smith, Ray McDonald and Demarcus Dobbs; Quinton Dial & Tank Carradine (PUP) - Note: Lawrence Okoye to the PS.
NT (3): Ian Williams, Glenn Dorsey and Lamar Divens - Note: Both Dorsey and Divens have stepped up their game and Dorsey can play DE as well. Divens appears to be a pure 2-gap disruptive NT. Even with the 1 game suspension for Dobbs, no need for a guy like Will Tukuafu anymore.
OLB (5): Aldon Smith, Ahmad Brooks, Parys Haralson, Corey Lemonier and Dan Skuta - Note: Cameron Johnson is playing really well sadly.
ILB (4): Patrick Willis, NaVorro Bowman, Michael Wilhoite and Nick Moody
CB (6): Tarell Brown, Carlos Rogers, Nnamdi Asomugha, Perrish Cox, Tramaine Brock and Daryl Morris; Chris Culliver & Eric Wright (PUP) - Note: Marcus Cooper is playing very disciplined/physical outside (love his size) and Darryl Morris has been playing fantastic in practice. It's not over yet. Both Cooper and Morris could very well end up pushing Brock off the roster but it's a long shot right now.
S (4): Donte Whitner, Eric Reid, Craig Dahl and C.J. Spillman - Note: Trenton Robinson is small/short but is having a decent camp.

Special Teams: (3)
PK: Phil Dawson
P: Andy Lee
LS: Brian Jennings - Note: God has the edge naturally and I haven't noted any snaps by Kevin McDermott thus far. LS is a position we could eliminate with all the LS's we have in Kilgore, Looney, etc. who may also be able to provide coverage on kickoffs. But let's be real here...this is God we're talking about! Question: Do we really need a Long Snapper? Kilgore and Looney can snap as well as others and some can play on ST coverage units as well. Also, we have a major weakness at OT. I'm expecting us to sign a veteran very soon! I am heavy on WR and CB right now.

Guys, this is good information that may help with your 53:

Here's a look at the players who are eligible for the practice squad this season: http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2013/08/21/consolation-prize-who-could-land-on-the-practice-squad/
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 23, 2013 at 8:40 AM ]
Our prctice squad is going to be epic (for about 30 minutes):

RB Jewel Hampton
WR Chuck Jacobs, Ricardo Lockette
T * Luke Marquardt
DL Lamar Divens, Lawrence Okoye
OLB Cam Johnson
CB Marcus Cooper

Pick your 8!
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 22, 2013 at 12:24 PM ]

Here's a look at the players who are eligible for the practice squad this season (players expected to make the 53-man roster in bold):

QB B.J. Daniels, Scott Tolzien
RB Jewel Hampton, D.J. Harper, * Marcus Lattimore, LaMichael James
FB Jason Schepler
WR Chuck Jacobs, Ricardo Lockette, Quinton Patton
TE MarQueis Gray, Vance McDonald
T Carter Bykowski, Luke Marquardt, Kenny Wiggins, Patrick Omameh
G * Al Netter, Wayne Tribue, Joe Looney
DL* Tank Carradine,* Quinton Dial, Lamar Divens, Tony Jerod-Eddie, Lawrence Okoye, Mike Purcell, Ian Williams
OLB Cam Johnson, Travis Johnson, Corey Lemonier
ILB Nate Stupar, Michael Wilhoite, Nick Moody
CB Marcus Cooper, Darryl Morris
S Trenton Robinson, Michael Thomas, Eric Reid
P Colton Schmidt

* On non-football injury list (NFI). Can be retained without being placed on practice squad.

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2013/08/21/consolation-prize-who-could-land-on-the-practice-squad/

The list is wrong, Netter isnt on NFI, Marquardt is. And likely goes IR or NFI for the season.

Here's a look at the players who are eligible for the practice squad this season (players expected to make the 53-man roster in bold):

FB Jason Schepler
DL* Tank Carradine,* Quinton Dial, Lamar Divens, Tony Jerod-Eddie, Lawrence Okoye, Mike Purcell, Ian Williams
P Colton Schmidt

* On non-football injury list (NFI). Can be retained without being placed on practice squad.

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2013/08/21/consolation-prize-who-could-land-on-the-practice-squad/

The list is wrong, Netter isnt on NFI, Marquardt is. And likely goes IR or NFI for the season.

Agreed...saw Netter play last week I believe. Any other errors?

FB Jason Schepler
P Colton Schmidt

Agreed...saw Netter play last week I believe. Any other errors?

nah, none that I see. Not sure if Tolzien is PS eligible or not. He could be. Not 100% sure.

nah, none that I see. Not sure if Tolzien is PS eligible or not. He could be. Not 100% sure.

Don't think he is eligible anymore...don't think they'd even bring him back anyhow.

Thanks, I updated correctly. ^
Don't think Moody makes the team
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cory4903:

do not see him alot but sounds like he sure did play well vs kansas city. we have gotten good play from the rookies so far and would be a shame if some got cut strictly due to numbers,, wish we could bring back the old days when you kept more than 53
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by cory4903:

do not see him alot but sounds like he sure did play well vs kansas city. we have gotten good play from the rookies so far and would be a shame if some got cut strictly due to numbers,, wish we could bring back the old days when you kept more than 53

Agreed. I just don't think moody is one of the best 53 and the coaching staff and front office has already shown a willingness to keep extra numbers at positions if they think that player is better. Not saying he couldn't help the team and wouldn't be a good special teams player. This is just a gut feeling I have.
McCoy has shown nothing, has a weak arm and is an injury waiting to happen, would rather keep Tolzien and Daniels.

Like Chad Hall but don't see keeping 7 WR's, keep either Hall or Lockette (who hasn't shown much so far).

Wouldn't write out Goodwin in favor of 2 guys without his experience.

Haven't seen enough out of Divens to make the 53.
Share 49ersWebzone