There are 145 users in the forums

GUESS THE 53!!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Gore_21:
QB's (3): Colin Kaepernick, Colt McCoy, Scott Tolzien
RB's (4): Frank Gore, Kendall Hunter, LaMichael James, Anthony Dixon
FB's (1): Bruce Miller
WR's (6): Anquan Boldin, Mario Manningham, Kyle Williams, Quinton Patton, A.J. Jenkins, Collie/Lockette/Hall/Moore (2 if Manningham PUP)
TE's (3): Vernon Davis, Vance McDonald, Garrett Celek
OL (8): Joe Staley, Mike Iupati, Jonathan Goodwin, Alex Boone, Anthony Davis, Daniel Kilgore, Adam Snyder, Joe Looney

----------
DL (7): Justin Smith, Ray McDonald, Glenn Dorsey, Ian Williams, Tank Carradine, Quinton Dial, Demarcus Dobbs or Will Tukuafu
OLB (5): Aldon Smith, Ahmad Brooks, Parys Haralson, Corey Lemonier, Dan Skuta? (Had 4 Before so might take off Robinson)
ILB's (4): Patrick Willis, NaVorro Bowman, Michael Wilhoite, Nick Moody
CB's (5): Tarell Brown, Carlos Rogers, Nnamdi Asomugha, Perrish Cox, Tramaine Brock (If we keep 6 Wright or Cooper)
Safeties (5): Donte Whitner, Eric Reid, Craig Dahl, C.J. Spillman, Trenton Robinson

ST: (3) K: Phil Dawson, P: Andy Lee, LS: Brian Jennings

Here is my updated one

I think we're pretty much inline with our thoughts..good stuff Gore..

Sorry, I keep listing Skuta as an ILB. You're right, it will be a head to head competition with Skuta and Cam for that last OLB spot for sure, I think they'll keep 5. Round 1 goes to Skuta. Him being a ST ace essentially puts him up 2 - love. Maybe we try and sneak Cam onto the PS again?

I like Moore to make it not only for being a WR who seems to catch everything thrown his way, but because Moore is a highly rated gunner. As Barrows just mentioned on his latest piece, Spillman and Moore are two of the best gunners in the NFL. Add in STers like Whilhoite, Skuta and Dixon and we have the makings for one of the top ST units in the league. After falling off so drastically last year, I think the ST unit is primed for a big time bounce back year.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
I was more impessed with Skuta then Cam Johnson. I also realize Fangio likes Brock, but he can't cover. Please Eric Wright show something, and knock him off the 53 man roster.
I was more impressed with Skuta too, he did a great job last night. There's just something about Cam that I like though. Would not surprise me one bit if Skuta beats him out though.

They love Brock AB, I think he did a great job going step for step with Thomas last night on that go route. He's been looking good, but I think that 2011 NFC Champ game still sticks out in all our minds with Brock. I really like Cox ( giggiddy ), I hope he ends up being the #3 and takes the slot guys. Leave Carlos on the outside in nickle, he can't cover the shifty WRs any more. I trust Cox to take on the Welker, Austin, Harvin, Cruz...types over Carlos. I think last year was Perrish getting back up to game speed, this year I think he makes a big leap. Wouldn't mind seeing Wright either though...
After preseason Game 1: Lots of changes...

Offense: (25)
QB (3): Colin Kaepernick, Colt McCoy and BJ Daniels
RB (4): Frank Gore, LaMichael James, Kendall Hunter and Anthony Dixon; Marcus Lattimore (PUP) - Note: Jewel Hampton is a better pure runner than James though.
FB (1): Bruce Miller - Note: It's very risky not to have a pure FB here. If Miller goes down, we're in big trouble. Dixon is not a good FB/blocker and often times misses pass blocking assignments.
WR (7): X = Marlon MooreRicardo Lockette Y = Kyle Williams/Quinton Patton/Chad Hall Z = Anquan Boldin/Kassim Osgood; Mario Manningham & Michael Crabtree (PUP) - Note: Could AJ Jenkins really be cut? I hope so. He has NO ability out wide and adds no ST ability either. Could be a good slot guy at the Y but we already have a ton of these guys. All four of these guys played very well (some on ST especially): Marlon Moore, Kassim Osgood, Ricardo Lockette, Hall, etc. Austin is similar to Hall, same age, but has head injuries and doesn't play ST. I will keep Ricardo Lockette at the X b/c we need speed/physicality out there for our offense to work while recognizing he has not had more than 2 opportunities out there in game situations. Osgood could be a threat in the RZ but along with Lockette and Morris, are consistently the first three down on ST coverage units.
TE (3): Vernon Davis, Vance McDonald and MarQueis Gray (H-Back) - Note: MarQueis Gray (H-Back) finally gets a chance and shows his upside over Garrett Celek.
OT (3): Joe Staley, Anthony Davis and Adam Snyder; Luke Marquardt (PUP) - Note: Let's pray Marquardt is the real deal b/c right now, we have very poor T's behind the starters and one injury could very well mess with the OL's chemistry.
OG (3): Mike Iupati, Alex Boone and Joe Looney, (Adam Snyder)
C (1): Daniel Kilgore (Joe Looney) - Note: Jonathan Goodwin may end up getting cut or restructures his contract for a backup role if both Kilgore/Looney continue to excel here.

Defense: (25)
DE (3): Justin Smith, Ray McDonald and Demarcus Dobbs; Quinton Dial & Tank Carradine (PUP) - Note: Lawrence Okoye may still have a real shot here as well.
NT (3): Ian Williams, Glenn Dorsey and Lamar Divens - Note: Both Dorsey and Divens have stepped up there game and Dorsey can play DE as well. Divens appears to be a pure 2-gap disruptive NT. Even with the 1 game suspension for Dobbs, no need for a guy like Will Tukuafu anymore.
OLB (5): Aldon Smith, Ahmad Brooks, Parys Haralson, Corey Lemonier and Dan Skuta - Note: Cameron Johnson is playing really well sadly.
ILB (4): Patrick Willis, NaVorro Bowman, Michael Wilhoite and Nick Moody
CB (6): Tarell Brown, Carlos Rogers, Nnamdi Asomugha, Eric Wright, Perrish Cox and Tramaine Brock; Chris Culliver (PUP) - Note: Both Marcus Cooper is playing very disciplined/physical outside (love his size) and Darryl Morris is playing fantastic in practice. It's not over yet. Cooper and Morris could very well end up pushing Brock off the roster but it's a long shot right now.
S (4): Donte Whitner, Eric Reid, Craig Dahl and C.J. Spillman - Note: Trenton Robinson is small/short and is having a decent camp.

Special Teams: (3)
PK: Phil Dawson
P: Andy Lee
LS: Brian Jennings - Note: God has the edge naturally and I haven't noted any snaps by Kevin McDermott thus far. LS is a position we could eliminate with all the LS's we have in Kilgore, Looney, etc. who may also be able to provide coverage on kickoffs. But let's be real here...this is God we're talking about!

Question: Do we really need a Long Snapper? Kilgore and Looney can snap as well as others and some can play on ST coverage units as well. Also, we have a major weakness at OT. I'm expecting us to sign a veteran very soon! I am heavy on WR and CB right now.
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 18, 2013 at 7:27 AM ]
NC, Austin Collie out performed all the WR not named Boldin. He ran super clean routes, made a couple nice catches. The 8 yard catch in the dirt on a bad throw from Tolzein was one that sticks in my mind. Then the 18 yard 4th down conversion on the very next play. He could and I think he will end up being the #2 behind Boldin. He's the most solid receiver we have on this roster besides 81.
Originally posted by DRUSTOPO:
I was more impressed with Skuta too, he did a great job last night. There's just something about Cam that I like though. Would not surprise me one bit if Skuta beats him out though.

Cam would still be eligble for PS again this year, could try next year.
Originally posted by DRUSTOPO:
I was more impessed with Skuta then Cam Johnson. I also realize Fangio likes Brock, but he can't cover. Please Eric Wright show something, and knock him off the 53 man roster.

They love Brock AB, I think he did a great job going step for step with Thomas last night on that go route. He's been looking good, but I think that 2011 NFC Champ game still sticks out in all our minds with Brock. I really like Cox ( giggiddy ), I hope he ends up being the #3 and takes the slot guys. Leave Carlos on the outside in nickle, he can't cover the shifty WRs any more. I trust Cox to take on the Welker, Austin, Harvin, Cruz...types over Carlos. I think last year was Perrish getting back up to game speed, this year I think he makes a big leap. Wouldn't mind seeing Wright either though...

I loved Cox performance(I know that sounds nasty), Nnamdi had a good showing. I just cant see Brock being worth $1.323M on a 1yr deal.

I hope Wright gets in soon, I really wanna see what we have in him.
I loved Cox performance(I know that sounds nasty), Nnamdi had a good showing. I just cant see Brock being worth $1.323M on a 1yr deal.

AB, you really got it out for Brock don't you? I don't know 1.323 is about right for a ST ace. Guy had like 16 tackles on ST last year and led the team. As for him at CB I haven't really keyed in on him much and really hard to evaluate the CB's but I think he gets a lot of heat because of the one 3rd down and long play in the NFC CG. He was right there on the catch but yeah it really killed us and if Brown was still in it probably doesn't happen. Other than that don't recall any big plays he has given up but again so hard to break CB's down without coach's tape and also we don't know what coverage was called and all that. I think Brock could be the 5th and would be in a battle with Wright and Cooper. Seems like he would have the advantage being with us for a while and not a rookie. Wright comes with experience problem is he might only get a few games to showcase himself although he has tape out there in the past but is he really injured? Or just dealing with his alcohol issues and what not.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 9, 2013 at 6:09 PM ]

AB, you really got it out for Brock don't you? I don't know 1.323 is about right for a ST ace. Guy had like 16 tackles on ST last year and led the team. As for him at CB I haven't really keyed in on him much and really hard to evaluate the CB's but I think he gets a lot of heat because of the one 3rd down and long play in the NFC CG. He was right there on the catch but yeah it really killed us and if Brown was still in it probably doesn't happen. Other than that don't recall any big plays he has given up but again so hard to break CB's down without coach's tape and also we don't know what coverage was called and all that. I think Brock could be the 5th and would be in a battle with Wright and Cooper. Seems like he would have the advantage being with us for a while and not a rookie. Wright comes with experience problem is he might only get a few games to showcase himself although he has tape out there in the past but is he really injured? Or just dealing with his alcohol issues and what not.

I do have one a bit, his broken coverage in NFC Championship game against NYG hurt, I think it was Manningham who beat him, might be wrong.
I do have one a bit, his broken coverage in NFC Championship game against NYG hurt, I think it was Manningham who beat him, might be wrong.

Yup, Brock got beat by Manningham on that TD following Kyle's first botched punt return.

Brock actually would have never been in the game had T. Brown not been hurt. Goldson leveled him when they were both going for an INT.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Aug 9, 2013 at 9:41 PM ]
Originally posted by SofaKing:

Yup, Brock got beat by Manningham on that TD following Kyle's first botched punt return.

Brock actually would have never been in the game had T. Brown not been hurt. Goldson leveled him when they were both going for an INT.

I remember Brown getting leveled by Goldson, I was pissed. That was one thing I hated about Goldson, he was reckless.

QB
Colin Kaepernick
Colt McCoy
Scott Tolzien

HB
Frank Gore
Kendall Hunter
LaMicheal James

HB/FB
Anthony Dixon

FB
Bruce Miller

TE
Vernon Davis
Vance MacDonald
Marqueis Gray

WR
Anquan Boldin
Kyle Willams
AJ Jenkins
Quinton Patton
Mario Manningham*
Austin Collie

OT
Joe Staley
Anthony Davis
Adam Snyder

OG
Mike Iupati
Alex Boone
Joe Looney

C
Johnathan Goodwin
Daniel Kilgore

DE
Justin Smith
Ray McDonald
Tank Carradine*
Quinton Dial*
Demarcus Dobbs

DE/DT
Glenn Dorsey

DT/DE
Ian Williams

OLB
Ahmad Brooks
Aldon Smith
Corey Lemonier
Parys Haralson

MLB
Patrick Willis
Navarro Bowman
Michael Wilhoite
Nick Moody

CB
Carlos Rogers
Tarell Brown
Parrish Cox
Nnamdi Asomuagh
Tramaine Brock

SS
Donte Whitner
Craig Dahl

FS
Eric Reid
CJ Spillman
Trenton Robinson

K
Phil Dawson

P
Andy Lee

LS
Brian Jennings

* Possible PUP List

Possible PUP Replacements

OLB Dan Skuta
DE Will Tukuafu
WR Ricardo Lockette
WR Marlon Moore
FS Bubba Ventrone
TE Brent Celek

PS
Lawrence Okoye
BJ Daniels
Cam Johnson
Luke Marquardt
Darryl Morris
Carter Bykowski
Kevin McDermott
Marcus Cooper

PUP/IR/NFI
Michael Crabtree
Marcus Lattimore
Chris Culliver
Darius Fleming

Id really like some feedback, thanks

i dont think all of them will make the PS, but i can hope
[ Edited by NinerFan408 on Aug 14, 2013 at 12:12 PM ]
or is this a dead thread?
Originally posted by NinerFan408:
QB
Colin Kaepernick
Colt McCoy
Scott Tolzien

HB
Frank Gore
Kendall Hunter
LaMicheal James

HB/FB
Anthony Dixon

FB
Bruce Miller

TE
Vernon Davis
Vance MacDonald
Marqueis Gray

WR
Anquan Boldin
Kyle Willams
AJ Jenkins
Quinton Patton
Mario Manningham*
Austin Collie

OT
Joe Staley
Anthony Davis
Adam Snyder

OG
Mike Iupati
Alex Boone
Joe Looney

C
Johnathan Goodwin
Daniel Kilgore

DE
Justin Smith
Ray McDonald
Tank Carradine*
Quinton Dial*
Demarcus Dobbs

DE/DT
Glenn Dorsey

DT/DE
Ian Williams

OLB
Ahmad Brooks
Aldon Smith
Corey Lemonier
Parys Haralson

MLB
Patrick Willis
Navarro Bowman
Michael Wilhoite
Nick Moody

CB
Carlos Rogers
Tarell Brown
Parrish Cox
Nnamdi Asomuagh
Tramaine Brock

SS
Donte Whitner
Craig Dahl

FS
Eric Reid
CJ Spillman
Trenton Robinson

K
Phil Dawson

P
Andy Lee

LS
Brian Jennings

* Possible PUP List

Possible PUP Replacements

DE Will Tukuafu
WR Ricardo Lockette
WR Marlon Moore
FS Bubba Ventrone
TE Brent Celek

PS
Lawrence Okoye
BJ Daniels
Cam Johnson
Luke Marquardt
Darryl Morris
Carter Bykowski
Kevin McDermott
Marcus Cooper

PUP/IR/NFI
Michael Crabtree
Marcus Lattimore
Chris Culliver
Darius Fleming

Id really like some feedback, thanks

i dont think all of them will make the PS, but i can hope

Good list, I do think Wilhoite makes it, but I see them going 5 deep at OLB with Skuta as a OLB/ILB. Also I see Moore making it. But overall real good roster.

The PS looks awesome, hoping if those are the guys we want none get poached on waivers.
Also I like Skuta and Moody. I figure Moody would be inactive till 2014 when Haralson is a FA and likely gone.
Also I like Skuta and Moody. I figure Moody would be inactive till 2014 when Haralson is a FA and likely gone.

maybe drop dobbs for skuta
Share 49ersWebzone