LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 288 users in the forums

GUESS THE 53!!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Not sure why alot of you guys have Moody making the 53. I think Wilhoit has 2 steps ahead of him. I would assume Moody only makes the 53, if he gets Cam's spot. (Which i don't see happening, or beats out Wilhoit). Safe to say Moody or Stupar fight it out for a PS spot.
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Not sure why alot of you guys have Moody making the 53. I think Wilhoit has 2 steps ahead of him. I would assume Moody only makes the 53, if he gets Cam's spot. (Which i don't see happening, or beats out Wilhoit). Safe to say Moody or Stupar fight it out for a PS spot.

Moody has been impressive in camp so far and he's a draft pick. We know what we have in Wilhoite and chances are he's one of those guys we can just call off the streets in a pinch.

we shall see who steps up in preseason

Moody has been impressive in camp so far and he's a draft pick. We know what we have in Wilhoite and chances are he's one of those guys we can just call off the streets in a pinch.

Yeah I have Moody over Whilhoite, mainly because of Special Teams. They drafted Moody with ST's in mind for sure, but doing that in college and the pros is a different ballgame, so we'll see how that plays out. I like Wilhoite, but he's never really jumped out at me. Maybe he's made a big leap this year and takes out either Moody or the other ST Ace Dan Skuta. Should be a hell of a fight for sure.
Originally posted by DRUSTOPO:

Yeah I have Moody over Whilhoite, mainly because of Special Teams. They drafted Moody with ST's in mind for sure, but doing that in college and the pros is a different ballgame, so we'll see how that plays out. I like Wilhoite, but he's never really jumped out at me. Maybe he's made a big leap this year and takes out either Moody or the other ST Ace Dan Skuta. Should be a hell of a fight for sure.

Skuta should be a lock for the team, IMO. He would be the best ST player we have, and can play ILB/OLB whatever. Moody, Wilhoit, and Stupar fighting for one spot will be interesting. Let the best man win!
My updated 53 men, with PUP, IR, NFI, PS, etc...

QB(3)- Kaepernick, McCoy, Daniels

The 49ers got themselves 3 mobile QBs, who can run our offense, Tolzien is out, he doesn't fit in with the new style

RB(4)- Gore, Hunter, James, Hampton

Dixon finally gets the axe, Hampton has more potential, and is a cheap 3 yr deal

FB(1)- Miller

No debates

WR(6)- Boldin, Williams, Jenkins, Patton, Moore, Osgood

Hate this one, I like Lockette, the 1st 3 are locks, Jenkins can't be cut without a negative amount taken, or we trade him, but unfair to judge after 1 season. Moore is hot, and I like Osgood for ST, Patton would inactive for game days, Mario and Crabs on PUP, If Mario is healthy, then it's a tough call, Osgood or Moore go. I can't see Baalke and Harbs cutting Patton.

TE(4)- Davis, McDonald, Celek, Gray

Easy for me, all 4 have the ability, and should be on this team. Gray gets a year to learn the system, maybe we let Celek go after 2013 depended on play. Might be able to activate all 4, due to only 5 RBs, with Hampton inactive

OL(9)- Staley, Davis, Iupati, Boone, Goodwin, Kilgore, Looney, Snyder, Bykowski

Easy for me also, only one is Snyder, he needs to prove his worth. Marquardt goes on NFI for the season to heal, and then compete for a active game day spot when we let Goodwin go, who took a cap cut, and got a guarantee, so keeping Goodwin makes sense.

DL(7)- Smith, McDonald, Williams, Dorsey, Tank, Dial, Dobbs

Tough one, the 1st 6 are locks IMO, Dial has so much upside. It comes to Dobbs, Tukuafu, Divens and Okoye. Okoye isn't ready, and would just be a PR move for the London game. Divens has held on for more then a few games in his career. And Tukuafu doesn't seem as valuable as once. Dobbs can be a DE or OLB, but I think he is inactive on game days if all the rest are healthy.

OLB(5)- Aldon, Brooks, Haralson, Lemonier, Skuta

Easy for me, all active, the 1st 3 on d, the second 2 on STs

ILB(3)- Bowman, Willis, Moody

I decided 3, Skuta can easily cover ILB if needed, maybe Wilhoite over Moody, but I think if need be Brooks moves inside, Haralson outside duty.

CB(5)- Rogers, Brown, Culliver, Nnamdi, Cox

Easy again, Rogers could be cut, would save a ton, but he is still a good Cornerback. Brown may see a extension, Cully is the future, and Nnamdi makes it. Cox may be inactive, depended on Safeties.

S(5)- Whitner, Reid, Spillman, Dahl, Robinson

Dont expect Robinson active, unless he out plays Spillman, we are paying Dahl some good money, so he plays STs, and Spillman is one of our best.

ST(3)- Dawson, Lee, Jennings

No debate, Jennings beats the rook out.

I have 54 that I like, but only 53 spots, last spot is between Dobbs and Bykowski, could try and sneak Carter to PS, if so Dobbs makes it, but keeping 7 DL may be too many for a 3-4 team.

PUP(2)- Mario and Crabs
IR(3)- Carswell, Debniak and Fleming(If he clears waivers)
NFI(1)- Marquardt
  • KK49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

The 49ers got themselves 3 mobile QBs, who can run our offense, Tolzien is out, he doesn't fit in with the new style

Dixon finally gets the axe, Hampton has more potential, and is a cheap 3 yr deal

FB(1)- Miller

No debates

Hate this one, I like Lockette, the 1st 3 are locks, Jenkins can't be cut without a negative amount taken, or we trade him, but unfair to judge after 1 season. Moore is hot, and I like Osgood for ST, Patton would inactive for game days, Mario and Crabs on PUP, If Mario is healthy, then it's a tough call, Osgood or Moore go. I can't see Baalke and Harbs cutting Patton.

Easy for me, all 4 have the ability, and should be on this team. Gray gets a year to learn the system, maybe we let Celek go after 2013 depended on play. Might be able to activate all 4, due to only 5 RBs, with Hampton inactive

Easy for me also, only one is Snyder, he needs to prove his worth. Marquardt goes on NFI for the season to heal, and then compete for a active game day spot when we let Goodwin go, who took a cap cut, and got a guarantee, so keeping Goodwin makes sense.

Tough one, the 1st 6 are locks IMO, Dial has so much upside. It comes to Dobbs, Tukuafu, Divens and Okoye. Okoye isn't ready, and would just be a PR move for the London game. Divens has held on for more then a few games in his career. And Tukuafu doesn't seem as valuable as once. Dobbs can be a DE or OLB, but I think he is inactive on game days if all the rest are healthy.

I decided 3, Skuta can easily cover ILB if needed, maybe Wilhoite over Moody, but I think if need be Brooks moves inside, Haralson outside duty.

Easy again, Rogers could be cut, would save a ton, but he is still a good Cornerback. Brown may see a extension, Cully is the future, and Nnamdi makes it. Cox may be inactive, depended on Safeties.

Dont expect Robinson active, unless he out plays Spillman, we are paying Dahl some good money, so he plays STs, and Spillman is one of our best.

I have 54 that I like, but only 53 spots, last spot is between Dobbs and Bykowski, could try and sneak Carter to PS, if so Dobbs makes it, but keeping 7 DL may be too many for a 3-4 team.

PUP(2)- Mario and Crabs
NFI(1)- Marquardt

very realistic one...
I hope Daniels make it instead of Tolzen . but Hampton for Dixon switch is a wishful thinking. I like it but who is gonna be out short yardage back.. hampton??
I can see them keeping the 4 TE , since our shaky WR situation.
Do u think they will keep more CBs instead of DL , as u said 7 might be too many. We have Tank and Dial now ,, and what have Dobbs and Tuku proven??
Hope Morris and Cooper and even this new guy Rose show some promise (or may be not so we can hide them on PS)
and what about Hall?? can u see him making it... its frustrating we have to wait on AJ one more year....
anyway....
I wish for some surprises but probably we gonna play it safe again....
Originally posted by KK49:
very realistic one...
I hope Daniels make it instead of Tolzen . but Hampton for Dixon switch is a wishful thinking. I like it but who is gonna be out short yardage back.. hampton??
I can see them keeping the 4 TE , since our shaky WR situation.
Do u think they will keep more CBs instead of DL , as u said 7 might be too many. We have Tank and Dial now ,, and what have Dobbs and Tuku proven??
Hope Morris and Cooper and even this new guy Rose show some promise (or may be not so we can hide them on PS)
and what about Hall?? can u see him making it... its frustrating we have to wait on AJ one more year....
anyway....
I wish for some surprises but probably we gonna play it safe again....

I like Chad Hall, I went with the 2 proven guys, but I have no issue with Hall making the 2013 team.

I love Daniels and Gray for versatility.

Cooper likely goes PS, I think we could keep 6 by keeping only 6 DL and 8 OL, so a spot is open for say Morris, Cooper, or god forbid Brock, who needs to go.

I like surprises, but hope the right 53 are picked. Should be a fun preseason, gonna purchase the preseason live thru NFL.com, 19.99, always good quality, now I have higher speed internet and streams look great.
Also KK49, the DL thing is for me, is 6 should be max, cause we use 5 on game days, and Justin, Ian, McDonald, Dorsey and likely Tank get active, which leads to Dial as insurance. Plus keep one or 2 on PS, I like Divens if we do keep a 7th. But 3 NTs would be a high number, they probably wants more guys who can play more spots like Dial, who I believe is a lock, he has the ability to play NT and rush.

Also remember Aldon and Ahmad play some DE, as can Haralson, so our DL consists of 5 active and those 3 OLBs. Usually why Tomsula is also coaching up Aldon.
QB (3): Kap, McCoy, Daniels
RB (4): Gore, Hunter, LMJ, Dixon
FB (1): Miller
WR (6): Boldin, Williams, Jenkins, Patton, Lockette
TE (3): Davis, McDonald, Celek
OL (9): Staley, Iupati, Goodwin, Boone, Davis, Kilgore, Looney, Snyder, Bykowski

DL (6): Smith, McDonald, Williams, Dorsey, Tank, Dial
OLB (5): Smith, Brooks, Haralson, Lemonier, Skuta
ILB (4): Willis, Bowman, Moody, Wilhoite
CB (6): Rogers, Brown, Culliver, Asamough, Cox, Brock
S (4): Whitner, Reid, Dahl, Spillman

ST (3): Dawson, Lee, Jennings

Inactive: Daniels, Jenkins, Celek, Looney, Bykowski, Tank, Dahl

Cuts: Tolzein, Hampton, Osgood, Moore, Hall, Gray, Marquadt, Dobbs, Tukuafu, Johnson, McBath, Robinson
Originally posted by sspiker:
OL (9): Staley, Iupati, Goodwin, Boone, Davis, Kilgore, Looney, Snyder, Bykowski

Cuts: Tolzein, Hampton, Osgood, Moore, Hall, Gray, Marquadt, Dobbs, Tukuafu, Johnson, McBath, Robinson

You listed only 5 WRs. Also Marquardt will be on NFI for the season, no way we cut him. Also where's Manningham. And please no Brock. And finally we wont go 4 DL on game days, too risky. Tank would be active.

FB(1)- Miller

No debates

PUP(2)- Mario and Crabs
NFI(1)- Marquardt

Great stuff as always AB, couple things...

-I really hope Hampton can beat out Dixon, but the key will be if he can play ST. If not, then he's just stuck on the inactive. I think with Lattimore waiting in the wings for next year, why keep Hampton around this year? Just don't see his value to this team in 13, the only year he may be here.

-1st 4 WR are locks and I'm liking Moore to win based on production and ST's, that last spot though, just a hold spot until Mario gets healthy, would like to give Hall that first shot if he keeps producing like he has.

-Totally agree with the 4 TE, I think not having a true #2 WR will not be a huge factor if we can dominate with a Stanford style 3 TE set. Love the potential of Gray at #4 and joker.

-I could see Dobbs making it because he can play FB and DL, tough to not let a vet DL make that last spot since that would mean us relying on 2 rookies who are hurt ( Tank and Dial ) top backup our top 4, gotta keep 7 DL if those two can't get on the field and show something before week 1.

-I really like Wiggins to make a leap this year and knock Snyder off, but his versatility is undeniable, Adam will make that final cut, can see us only going with 8OL with Snyder filling in all 3 spots.

- 1 less OL means 1 more LB for me and that guy is Cam, kid is coming on strong this summer!

ITS ALMOST TIME!!!!!
-I could see Dobbs making it because he can play FB and DL, tough to not let a vet DL make that last spot since that would mean us relying on 2 rookies who are hurt ( Tank and Dial ) top backup our top 4, gotta keep 7 DL if those two can't get on the field and show something before week 1.

Let me just add to that DL discussion AB with a quote from Fangio yesterday....

Do you prefer for that fourth guy to be just a fourth guy regardless of position?

"Ideally, we'll dress five and you need to have somebody that can go in there and play a very good nose for you, whoever that backup is, and somebody that can play either side and end for you. So, I don't know that it's critical that the fourth guy has to be there. You have to have that out of your five guys that dress. It's kind of ducking your question, but we don't need that from one guy have to be the backup at all three."

Can Tank play all 3 spots at this point? Highly unlikely, the top 4 are set, but that #5 needs to be able to play all 3 spots, that favors a guy like Dial making that final active cut. At 6-5, 318lbs, Dial has excellent size to play the 5T but is versatile enough to slide inside and play the three or zero techniques. Tank and Dobbs are in the high 270's, maybe 280. It may be a case where Dial is active during games against power running teams while Tank is active when we face the passing squads and will be running a 4 man line.

Bottom line, gotta get Dial and Tank on the field ASAP!
DRUSTOPO, I think we will have a tough time with it, Tank may be able to play OLB, but then again, if he bulks up, he is strickly a End/Tackle, whichever you wanna call the position. Dial has NT experience, so he probably gets the call.

A part of me wants both active if healthy. But not sure if possible. Will be fun to see what happens, and any surprises.
  • KK49
  • Veteran

FB(1)- Miller

No debates

PUP(2)- Mario and Crabs
NFI(1)- Marquardt

i just noticed u didnt include Cam Johnson ... u think he will last if moved to PS ( i dont) too bad we have to keep Skuta only coz he s good special team player.
may be we can keep both. Dont teams have like a player or 2 that do only one thing - play on special teams. anyways. I think Cam is worth to be on the team.
  • KK49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sspiker:

one of Osgood, Moore or Hall will stay... Gray and Marquadt will be on PS at least,,, and AB83 said it best...... PLZZZ no Brock,, .. it will be nice if they keep Robinson instead of him
Share 49ersWebzone