LaMichael James

I agree with all of this

And maybe Jewel Hampton can play backup FB and ST
[ Edited by NinerBuff on May 15, 2013 at 10:07 AM ]
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DRUSTOPO:
Originally posted by Rascal:
So, you've cut Kyle Williams and Anthony Dixon ??!!

Yup, I was really contemplating keeping Kyle, but I like the size/speed combo of Ricardo. This is contingent on Jimbo feeling confident in LMJ, Cox and possibly Patton to return punts. I really hope James makes strides this year in that roll.

As far as Dixon, I was surprised me made it last year, Im done with him. The only reason I could see keeping him around is short yardage situations, but I don't think he would be better than Miller in that roll. I would like to see Rathman take Millers game to the next level and groom him for those snaps.

Hmm, OK as far as Kyle goes, I see him as a proven or improving slot receiver with experience which should secure him a spot if he is 100% fully recovered from his ACL. I don't see AJ, Ricardo and Quinton, all 3 of them breaking out. Instead, I see 2 of them making it. I see Jim Harbaugh giving Ricardo an opportunity given his incredible measurables, but I am not convinced AJ can beat out Quinton. Even though he has added bulk, I think Quinton's conscientious work ethic will help to propel himself pass AJ, at least in the long run. Bottomline, only 1 of the 2 will make it for the start of the season.

As for Anthony, I have seen him play well on special teams on the kick recovery unit plus he can also do the short yardage. I think he still might be able to make it, just. Plus, I simply don't know enough about Jewel Hampton.
I just did (LOL)...in post #245: http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/171861-team-needs-updates/page17/

Yup, I was really contemplating keeping Kyle, but I like the size/speed combo of Ricardo. This is contingent on Jimbo feeling confident in LMJ, Cox and possibly Patton to return punts. I really hope James makes strides this year in that roll.

As far as Dixon, I was surprised me made it last year, Im done with him. The only reason I could see keeping him around is short yardage situations, but I don't think he would be better than Miller in that roll. I would like to see Rathman take Millers game to the next level and groom him for those snaps.

Hmm, OK as far as Kyle goes, I see him as a proven or improving slot receiver with experience which should secure him a spot if he is 100% fully recovered from his ACL. I don't see AJ, Ricardo and Quinton, all 3 of them breaking out. Instead, I see 2 of them making it. I see Jim Harbaugh giving Ricardo an opportunity given his incredible measurables, but I am not convinced AJ can beat out Quinton. Even though he has added bulk, I think Quinton's conscientious work ethic will help to propel himself pass AJ, at least in the long run. Bottomline, only 1 of the 2 will make it for the start of the season.

As for Anthony, I have seen him play well on special teams on the kick recovery unit plus he can also do the short yardage. I think he still might be able to make it, just. Plus, I simply don't know enough about Jewel Hampton.

Dixon does give us good play on special teams, and is a "decent" short yardage back , but decent aint gonna cut it on this team ...but I think he is a goner once Lattimore is ready to pound the rock, which might be sooner than we think ...plus with the addition of Skuta and Dahl , Dixons play on special teams wont be missed , if Dix was a consistent battering ram, his role on the team wouldnt be questioned , but if he was to stay on the team, it will be due to an injury to one of our backs in pre-season , Hunter, James and Lattimore all have upsides left and need touches to grow with the offense , Dixon would only slow the development of those 3 RB's ...let Dix go to a team that will give him some touches ..Swing a trade with Detroit maybe?? a 7th ??
Originally posted by NCommand:
I just did (LOL)...in post #245: http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/171861-team-needs-updates/page17/

Nice! I think we had similar thoughts aside from CB. Good stuff
Something tells me the surprise cut is going to be Brian Jennings. To many players and not enough spots and someone else will be able to long snap. They may not be as good as Jennings but he will not be there forever.
Originally posted by davidb:
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Agreed with val on Daniels being the #3 QB

Lord Tolzien gettin cut

I don't agree that its that obvious that Tolzien is going to be cut. Tolzien plays a very special role on the 49ers . . . he is the scout team quarterback. Apparently he is very good at it too. Last year someone named Darin Gantt wrote on September 3, 2012, "The 49ers didn't necessarily keep the best player in the preseason as their third quarterback. They kept the one that could help them the most in the regular season."

Also Matt Barrows pointed out, at about the same time, that "the disparity in preseason stats doesn't explain why the 49ers kept Scott Tolzien over Josh Johnson as their third behind Alex Smith and Colin Kaepernick. Tolzien has taken his role as the scout team QB in practice as his niche. . . . The 49ers trust him as an extra set of eyes, and he's good enough to simulate Aaron Rodgers, Matt Stafford and so on in practice."

So, the question now probably is whether BJ Daniels ability to simulate Russell Wilson is more valuable than Tolzien's ability to simulate Aaron Rodgers and Matthew Stafford.

Though, what might put it over the top for Daniels would be his ability to be a punt returner and general utility guy, in the mold of Julian Edelman say.

McCoy should be a better Tolzien and take over the scout team role. I have liked Tolzien, maybe the Niners could trade him. Maybe to Cleveland as Norv Turner has had some experience with him. I just don't think that Jason Campbell, their back-up is any good. Definitely unreliable.
53 is bowman...everybody know that
With the amount of talent already on the roster, the rookies drafted and the UDFA's, there's too many possibilities for a proposed 53-man roster at this point, IMHO. We don't really know which of the players currently injured will be available for next season...guys like Marquardt. From all the reports I've read, Manningham's on track to be ready for the regular season. Competition is going to be studly throughout the off-season and into training camp and pre-season. Some vets could get surprised by rookies...some rookies could get surprised by vets. There may be a vet or two that Baalke brings in that are possibly unknown right now. There's all kinds of things that can and probably will happen before we have an educated guess what the 53-man roster will look like.
Originally posted by NCommand:

Nice! I think we had similar thoughts aside from CB. Good stuff

Agreed. I've got a few surprises...tried to think bigger picture here; think of the "upside/development" and players who can be flexible and play and contribute to more than one role/unit (esp. ST).

I sure hope that you're wrong, Rascal. The Niners simply have to move on from Kyle, otherwise they have done a really poor job of upgrading their WR position. KW is unfortunately not that good. Sure he's got that choppy running style, but watching him, he's not really that fast, quick-twitch, elusive, jitter-bug receiver at all. Basically you're saying that AJ is a bust, because that is the only way he should be beaten out by KW. And as for Patton beating out AJ . . . Jenkins has significantly better measurables, faster with a superior initial burst as well (according to what MM reported observing) . . . first round pick as well . . . so, again are you implying that he's a bust?

Yet are you saying that Lockette somehow leapfrogs AJ on the depth chart also? Because of measurables? While completely ignoring AJs measurables. How are you coming to these conclusions? Based upon Harbaugh's throw away remark? His working out with CK7? That's it?

While we are on the WR subject, I also hope that the Niners upgrade from Mannigham. I realize that he is a 'zone favorite, but there is a reason the Giants made NO EFFORT to retain him as their THIRD receiver. His route running is a bit sloppy and he has questionable smarts. Now that he's coming of an injury, who knows how much more he's lost. Time to give his spot to a promising newcomer, perhaps.
Originally posted by saj4423:
Something tells me the surprise cut is going to be Brian Jennings. To many players and not enough spots and someone else will be able to long snap. They may not be as good as Jennings but he will not be there forever.

A few of us have been calling that one for a little while now.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
With the amount of talent already on the roster, the rookies drafted and the UDFA's, there's too many possibilities for a proposed 53-man roster at this point, IMHO. We don't really know which of the players currently injured will be available for next season...guys like Marquardt. From all the reports I've read, Manningham's on track to be ready for the regular season. Competition is going to be studly throughout the off-season and into training camp and pre-season. Some vets could get surprised by rookies...some rookies could get surprised by vets. There may be a vet or two that Baalke brings in that are possibly unknown right now. There's all kinds of things that can and probably will happen before we have an educated guess what the 53-man roster will look like.

Isn't this ALL an understatement! I'm sure I'll be editing mine as time goes on...
Originally posted by AZ9erfan520:
I don't think Kyle Williams gets cut, not only because of his value as a punt returner but because he is the most experienced slot WR we have. If im not mistaken didn't LMJ have a difficult time with punt returns last year...or was he returning punts after the injury to Williams? Maybe i've been spending to much time in front of the xbox this off season but was Parrish Cox returning punts after Williams got hurt? As long as he is ready to play i'd take Williams over Jenkins, especially with Manningham on the PUP. Whats really going to be interesting is next year if Lattimore is ready to go and Hunter returns to form. No way we keep 4 running backs. Decisions decisions....

Why would we not keep 4 RBs? We kept 4 last year, and were fine. No way Gore gets cur, it's a slap in the face. Plus LMJ and Hunter have upside, as does Lattimore, just ride with those 4 for the time being.

Anyone thinking Gore is done, is dead wrong.
Originally posted by saj4423:

That would to surprising. His salary is minimum, he is an all pro, no way we cut him unless someone out wows him. If not, we keep Jennings, we have fir what, 12 years, why stop now, and risk worsening our STs. He also is a capable tackler, he is in on all punts.
Share 49ersWebzone